Night Tides (Lady of the Lakes #1)

Night Tides (Lady of the Lakes #1)

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  23 reviews
One by one they go missing. And in the lake a voice cries out: “Save them. . . .”

In the darkness, in a lake in the middle of a prosperous college town, Rachel Matre feels the water caressing her bare skin, teasing her senses, drawing her body into a lush erotic embrace. For twenty years she has communed with the lake spirits this way—and told no one. The price is simple: S...more
Published January 26th 2010 by Bantam (first published 2010)

Laurie (Bitten by Romance)
1 1/2 stars

This book has paranormal romance on the back, but there's NO stinking HEA. When I see romance I think well there is going to be romance and a HEA, but these book now your lucky to get just sex forget the HEA or romance.. But anyway if you really want to read this book please read the few spoilers before buying, I have to say its kind of creepy.

Spoilers
The first of the book was hard to get in to because, Rachel goes into a lake and the lake makes love to her yep, its creepy too, She...more
Melindeeloo
I have to start by saying that after reading the snippet from the story inside the front cover, and laughing at what was there - and no it wasn't intentionally humorous - the only reason that I actually ended up reading the book was so that I could write this review, because I don't generally review a book I haven't finished. However, I have to admit that I actually ended up liking Night Tides more than I thought I would - there were moments in the story that I liked - hence the 'ok' rating.

The...more
Barbara ★
Amy
Coucher de soleil
All in all I enjoyed this one.

There were undeniable flaws in this story and yet it still felt both gripping and promising as a debut novel. Its strongest aspect was the atmosphere created by the author.

A major weakness concerned a particular plothole I noticed, as well as the characterizations. Concerning the latter, while not *badly* done where the two main characters were concerned, I couldn't help but feel that it would have been satisfying to have the author show us a bit more more of the m...more
Kiera Healy
May 31, 2013 Kiera Healy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: freshwater fetishists
I was struggling over how to review this, because I didn't know how to describe it without it sounding incredibly dumb. Then I remembered that hey, this book IS incredibly dumb, so I'll just go for it.

In a nutshell: Night Tides is about a woman who has sex with a lake.

I don't mean that in any kind of spiritual or metaphorical way, either. I mean, it's about a woman who gets naked, jumps into the lake, and has numerous orgasms while there is a lot of babble about a watery phallus entering her and...more
Destiny
I stumbled across book two of this series so I had to order this one, which is book one - wow!! I started reading the first paragraph just to see if I liked the style and ended up reading the whole first chapter. I couldn't put it down! It is an extremely refreshing blend of several genres. It could even be called an erotic paranormal thriller. The main character has a unique sexual relationship with the water, which leaves you on the edge of your seat with its climactic scenes but questioning w...more
Lindsey Albright
I love this book. I was waiting a while for the second book, but never saw it. Now I'm on the hunt for it. I haven't read this book since it came out, but I can remember so much of it. It sticks with you. It seems like a fantastic series. I sincerely hope it doesn't end with the second book. I hope Prentiss writes and publishes more of these.
Pete Garza
This first Book from Alex Prentiss Is very unusual. Although it did catch my attention on who done it and what happens next mystery type book ( which as always you start to figure out from the beginning with the usual introductions of characters and what role they play ). It is just one of those types of books that you have to read for yourself ( and prepare yourself for some very strange and bizarre smut scenes ) and decide if you like it or not and if you will recommend it. I will only recomme...more
Wonderbunny
I liked parts of this book but the whole premise was just ridiculous. She has an orgasmic relationship with two of the local lakes and in return they show her horrible things that are happening or have happened. And the only action she takes is to blog about it. I still don't believe the reason the police haven't tracked down who runs the blog either. That seems to be a common place and easy thing to do (tracking down site owners). And the ending... yes well, it just annoyed me.
Rachel
This is more Urban Fantasy than Paranormal Romance. You don;t get the over the top mushy gushy and it is much more plot driven than typical in the PR genre but it is a great read for those that enjoy PR AND Urban Fantasy.
Strong characters and what I think is a very original plot. A great first novel and I am looking forward to reading the next Lady of the Lakes book.
Aske
It's odd for a body of water to be a lover but it somehow works out in this series. Prentiss creates an interesting story but I found myself lost on what Rachel Matre actually looks like. Her descriptions were simple, not giving much detail and often wandered off to something else. Despite this, I'm still looking forward to reading the next book.
Julie
I bought this book because the cover art was very pretty even though the inside blurb was a little meh. It wasn't a bad read but I wouldn't advise people to run out and purchase it. Charters were interesting but the whole sex with water spirit thing was lackluster. Get it at the library before spending money on it for sure.
Chad
Wow, an extremely descriptive book that went into great detail throughout the book on several scenes. A good first novel from Alex Prentiss. I am looking forward to the next novel in the Lady of the Lakes series, DARK WATERS.
Caran-marie
I really enjoyed the mixture of mystery novel and urban fantasy this book provided.
The main character's relationship with the spirits of the lake is very intriguing. It's an interesting read.
Jenna
Very weird story, I like that it's different though. The whole lake thing is still kinda throwing me but I like the effort she put in to write a different story. Great pace, keeps you interested.
Tami
Okay, so it's a little creepy and weird, but it made me want to read more from the author and I found it surprising - which is rare anymore.
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Feb 09, 2011 Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ marked it as paranormal-to-read
Ok, this book seems so weird that I feel like I have to give it a try.
Lucy

Started good and then all hell broke loose. *sigh*

Review to come
Linda
An awesome page turner! Loved that it was set in Madison.
:| Strange book. Really strange.
Brent
Excellent read, great story!
Tracey
Very intense.
Cass
Cass marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Angala
Angala marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Trang
Trang marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
  • Bedtime Stories: A Collection of Erotic Fairy Tales
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • Immortal Wolf (Draicon Werewolves #5)
  • Enslave: Beauty Tames the Beast
  • Passionate Thirst (Candace Steele Vampire Killer #1)
  • Thief of Light  (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #2)
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Taken by Sin (Demon Hunters, #4)
  • Destined to Last (Providence, #4)
  • Mob Rules (Underworld Cycle, #1)
  • Instinctive (Eternal Pleasure, #1)
  • Giving Up the Ghost (Laying a Ghost, #2)
  • Destiny's Star (Epic of Palins, #3)
  • Pandora's Box (Pandora, #1)
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Tree of Life (Tree of Life, #1)
  • Rock My World (The Wrong Bed) (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Gifts of War
Dark Waters (Lady of the Lakes #2)