Start by marking “Night Tides (Lady of the Lakes #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Tides (Lady of the Lakes #1)

Night Tides (Lady of the Lakes #1)

One by one they go missing. And in the lake a voice cries out: “Save them. . . .”

In the darkness, in a lake in the middle of a prosperous college town, Rachel Matre feels the water caressing her bare skin, teasing her senses, drawing her body into a lush erotic embrace. For twenty years she has communed with the lake spirits this way—and told no one. The price is simple: S
Published January 26th 2010 by Bantam (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Night Tides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Tides

Laurie Garrison
Mar 25, 2010 Laurie Garrison rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
1 1/2 stars

This book has paranormal romance on the back, but there's NO stinking HEA. When I see romance I think well there is going to be romance and a HEA, but these book now your lucky to get just sex forget the HEA or romance.. But anyway if you really want to read this book please read the few spoilers before buying, I have to say its kind of creepy.

Spoilers
The first of the book was hard to get in to because, Rachel goes into a lake and the lake makes love to her yep, its creepy too, She
Rachael
Oct 04, 2014 Rachael rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I gave up on this book part way through the second chapter when one of the characters was having sex with water. Yes, water.
Melindeeloo
May 25, 2010 Melindeeloo rated it it was ok
I have to start by saying that after reading the snippet from the story inside the front cover, and laughing at what was there - and no it wasn't intentionally humorous - the only reason that I actually ended up reading the book was so that I could write this review, because I don't generally review a book I haven't finished. However, I have to admit that I actually ended up liking Night Tides more than I thought I would - there were moments in the story that I liked - hence the 'ok' rating.

The
Lindsey Albright
Mar 28, 2014 Lindsey Albright rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I was waiting a while for the second book, but never saw it. Now I'm on the hunt for it. I haven't read this book since it came out, but I can remember so much of it. It sticks with you. It seems like a fantastic series. I sincerely hope it doesn't end with the second book. I hope Prentiss writes and publishes more of these.
Velia
I loved this book.

I'll admit the cover is what first caught my attention...it's absolutely gorgeous. It sounded a bit bizarre...sex with water?!...but that combined with the mystery is why I wanted to read the story.

The sex scenes with the water spirits were done quite well. I could imagine them perfectly.
Barbara ★
Amy
May 15, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coucher de soleil
Feb 01, 2012 Coucher de soleil rated it really liked it
All in all I enjoyed this one.

There were undeniable flaws in this story and yet it still felt both gripping and promising as a debut novel. Its strongest aspect was the atmosphere created by the author.

A major weakness concerned a particular plothole I noticed, as well as the characterizations. Concerning the latter, while not *badly* done where the two main characters were concerned, I couldn't help but feel that it would have been satisfying to have the author show us a bit more more of the m
Kiera Healy
May 31, 2013 Kiera Healy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: freshwater fetishists
I was struggling over how to review this, because I didn't know how to describe it without it sounding incredibly dumb. Then I remembered that hey, this book IS incredibly dumb, so I'll just go for it.

In a nutshell: Night Tides is about a woman who has sex with a lake.

I don't mean that in any kind of spiritual or metaphorical way, either. I mean, it's about a woman who gets naked, jumps into the lake, and has numerous orgasms while there is a lot of babble about a watery phallus entering her and
Destiny
Mar 28, 2011 Destiny rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across book two of this series so I had to order this one, which is book one - wow!! I started reading the first paragraph just to see if I liked the style and ended up reading the whole first chapter. I couldn't put it down! It is an extremely refreshing blend of several genres. It could even be called an erotic paranormal thriller. The main character has a unique sexual relationship with the water, which leaves you on the edge of your seat with its climactic scenes but questioning w ...more
Kay Tee
Jun 29, 2015 Kay Tee rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very interesting unlike anything I've ever read before. The suspense, mystery, romance, & erotica was a definite page turner. A quick & simple read that I was able to devour in less than 2 weeks. A full set of 5 stars. I am looking forward to reading it's continuance called Dark Waters.
Mark Cassidy
Jun 01, 2016 Mark Cassidy rated it did not like it
Embarrassed by how bad this book was. Sex with water in a lake to communicate with the lake spirits and pass on messages to the heroes of the book - no, no, no - really bad. Oddly enough, the quality of the prose was OK - I suspect the writer is capable of so much more.
Pete Garza
Mar 15, 2011 Pete Garza rated it it was ok
This first Book from Alex Prentiss Is very unusual. Although it did catch my attention on who done it and what happens next mystery type book ( which as always you start to figure out from the beginning with the usual introductions of characters and what role they play ). It is just one of those types of books that you have to read for yourself ( and prepare yourself for some very strange and bizarre smut scenes ) and decide if you like it or not and if you will recommend it. I will only recomme ...more
Lee Belbin
Dec 01, 2014 Lee Belbin rated it liked it
Somewhat erotic abduction, romance, detective story
Wonderbunny
Jul 15, 2010 Wonderbunny rated it it was ok
I liked parts of this book but the whole premise was just ridiculous. She has an orgasmic relationship with two of the local lakes and in return they show her horrible things that are happening or have happened. And the only action she takes is to blog about it. I still don't believe the reason the police haven't tracked down who runs the blog either. That seems to be a common place and easy thing to do (tracking down site owners). And the ending... yes well, it just annoyed me.
Rachel
Jun 23, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more Urban Fantasy than Paranormal Romance. You don;t get the over the top mushy gushy and it is much more plot driven than typical in the PR genre but it is a great read for those that enjoy PR AND Urban Fantasy.
Strong characters and what I think is a very original plot. A great first novel and I am looking forward to reading the next Lady of the Lakes book.
Aske
Apr 09, 2011 Aske rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's odd for a body of water to be a lover but it somehow works out in this series. Prentiss creates an interesting story but I found myself lost on what Rachel Matre actually looks like. Her descriptions were simple, not giving much detail and often wandered off to something else. Despite this, I'm still looking forward to reading the next book.
Julie
Sep 22, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, junk-pnr
I bought this book because the cover art was very pretty even though the inside blurb was a little meh. It wasn't a bad read but I wouldn't advise people to run out and purchase it. Charters were interesting but the whole sex with water spirit thing was lackluster. Get it at the library before spending money on it for sure.
Chad
Apr 04, 2010 Chad rated it really liked it
Wow, an extremely descriptive book that went into great detail throughout the book on several scenes. A good first novel from Alex Prentiss. I am looking forward to the next novel in the Lady of the Lakes series, DARK WATERS.
Caran-marie
Feb 13, 2011 Caran-marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed the mixture of mystery novel and urban fantasy this book provided.
The main character's relationship with the spirits of the lake is very intriguing. It's an interesting read.
Jenna
Apr 13, 2013 Jenna rated it really liked it
Very weird story, I like that it's different though. The whole lake thing is still kinda throwing me but I like the effort she put in to write a different story. Great pace, keeps you interested.
Tami
Jul 03, 2010 Tami rated it really liked it
Okay, so it's a little creepy and weird, but it made me want to read more from the author and I found it surprising - which is rare anymore.
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Feb 09, 2011 Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ marked it as paranormal-to-read
Ok, this book seems so weird that I feel like I have to give it a try.
Lucy Ibn al-Rashid

Started good and then all hell broke loose. *sigh*

Review to come
Linda
Nov 29, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
An awesome page turner! Loved that it was set in Madison.
Dec 18, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
:| Strange book. Really strange.
Brent
Aug 25, 2012 Brent rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, great story!
Tracey
Oct 06, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it
Very intense.
Lucy the Ghost
Lucy the Ghost marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Mariana Darboe
Mariana Darboe rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
  • Bedtime Stories: A Collection of Erotic Fairy Tales
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • Enslave: Beauty Tames the Beast
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Thief of Light  (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #2)
  • Immortal Wolf (Draicon Werewolves, #5)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Passionate Thirst (Candace Steele Vampire Killer #1)
  • Destined to Last (Providence, #4)
  • Siren's Secret (Dark Seas, #1)
  • Pandora's Box (Pandora, #1)
  • Waking the Dead (Laying a Ghost, #3)
  • Destiny's Star (Epic of Palins, #3)
  • A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2)
  • Taken by Sin (Demon Hunters, #4)
  • Instinctive (Eternal Pleasure, #1)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Mob Rules (Underworld Cycle, #1)

Lady of the Lakes (2 books)
  • Dark Waters (Lady of the Lakes #2)