Start by marking “The Quiet Center: Women Reflecting on Life's Passages from the Pages of Victoria Magazine” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In beautifully written memoirs by some of the great women writers of America, The Quiet Center resonates with the wisdom gleaned from everyday life. Originally published in the pages of Victoria magazine in its first decade, the essays in this volume speak to and from a woman's heart.
Published May 1st 1997 by Hearst Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Center

Angie
I really love this book, but I'm taking it off my "currently reading" list because the truth is - it's been on my nightstand by the bed for 10 years now and I just keep reading it and rereading it whenever I'm in the mood for a dose of it. A collection of writings from women, ABOUT women and their various chapters of life. It is much like my Bible in that it is just a permanent fixture that I refer to again and again.
Jennifer Leo
I've owned this book for years, and I keep it on my bedside table for soothing late-night reading when I can't sleep. I enjoy reading and re-reading the thoughtful essays.
Mary Catelli
A collection of essays on various topics by various authors. They have in common a certain mediative tone, of things pondered deeply. A convincing tone.

On topics from family members, to writing and reading, to what Isak Dinesen thought a flower arrangement should be, and how New York City's closest approach to a meadow is the flower market, to places, to a grandfather who never turned a tangle in his yard to a lawn because he needed paths, and a woman who gathered plants for dyes there, whom the
Melinda
Impressive collection of essays on broad subjects such as childhood, rituals, writing and writers, and grandmothers. The essays are 3-5 pages long, the perfect length for a gentle easing into sleep just before bedtime. Contributors include Jane Smiley, Francine Prose, Susan Minot and Carol Shields.
Deena Scintilla
A surprise gift from Ron in the earlier days of our marriage which I still have on my bookshelf and occas. read.
Julie
I am not a fan of short stories but I really enjoyed these "quiet" stories before bedtime!
Rolayne
Good read. A keeper.
Bel Dacumos
Bel Dacumos marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Rachel Payne
Rachel Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Missy K
Missy K marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
idk
idk marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
K J
K J marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Abby
Abby added it
May 26, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
The Business of Bliss: How To Profit From Doing What You Love Romantic Country Style: Creating the English Country Look in Your Home The Charms of Tea: Reminiscences and Recipes (Victoria) The Heart of England Intimate Home: Creating a Private World