Start by marking “The Quiet Center: Women Reflecting on Life's Passages from the Pages of Victoria Magazine” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In beautifully written memoirs by some of the great women writers of America, The Quiet Center resonates with the wisdom gleaned from everyday life. Originally published in the pages of Victoria magazine in its first decade, the essays in this volume speak to and from a woman's heart.
Published May 1st 1997 by Hearst Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Center

Songs from the Well by Adam Byrn TrittThe Uncommon Thread by R. Scott AndersonYom Kippur as Manifest in an Approaching Dorsal Fin by Adam Byrn TrittGeorge Orwell by George OrwellSlouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion
Best essays/essayists
38th out of 71 books — 39 voters
A Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfWalden by Henry David ThoreauA Collection of Essays by George OrwellArguably by Christopher HitchensThe Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays by Albert Camus
Best/Favorite Books of Essays
235th out of 391 books — 160 voters

More lists with this book...

Angie
Apr 13, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
I really love this book, but I'm taking it off my "currently reading" list because the truth is - it's been on my nightstand by the bed for 10 years now and I just keep reading it and rereading it whenever I'm in the mood for a dose of it. A collection of writings from women, ABOUT women and their various chapters of life. It is much like my Bible in that it is just a permanent fixture that I refer to again and again.
Jennifer Lamont
Aug 22, 2014 Jennifer Lamont rated it it was amazing
I've owned this book for years, and I keep it on my bedside table for soothing late-night reading when I can't sleep. I enjoy reading and re-reading the thoughtful essays.
Mary Catelli
Feb 20, 2016 Mary Catelli rated it it was amazing
A collection of essays on various topics by various authors. They have in common a certain mediative tone, of things pondered deeply. A convincing tone.

On topics from family members, to writing and reading, to what Isak Dinesen thought a flower arrangement should be, and how New York City's closest approach to a meadow is the flower market, to places, to a grandfather who never turned a tangle in his yard to a lawn because he needed paths, and a woman who gathered plants for dyes there, whom the
Melinda
Apr 13, 2008 Melinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Impressive collection of essays on broad subjects such as childhood, rituals, writing and writers, and grandmothers. The essays are 3-5 pages long, the perfect length for a gentle easing into sleep just before bedtime. Contributors include Jane Smiley, Francine Prose, Susan Minot and Carol Shields.
Marjorie Towers
Jan 12, 2016 Marjorie Towers rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful collection of short stories by female authors. I will read these again and again.
Deena Scintilla
May 18, 2009 Deena Scintilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A surprise gift from Ron in the earlier days of our marriage which I still have on my bookshelf and occas. read.
Julie  Durnell
Dec 29, 2014 Julie Durnell rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of short stories but I really enjoyed these "quiet" stories before bedtime!
Rolayne
Jul 13, 2013 Rolayne rated it it was amazing
Good read. A keeper.
Charlene
Charlene is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Jenelle
Jenelle is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Elizabeth Murray
Elizabeth Murray marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Patsy
Patsy added it
Jan 19, 2016
Jennifer Bailey
Jennifer Bailey rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Meg
Meg is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Emilu
Emilu marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Bel Dacumos
Bel Dacumos marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Rachel Payne
Rachel Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Missy K
Missy K marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Michelle Schwantes
Michelle Schwantes rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
idk
idk marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
K J
K J marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014