Start by marking “Do Me, Do My Roots” as Want to Read:
Do Me, Do My Roots

Do Me, Do My Roots

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  36 reviews
It's about healing.
After a couple of rough years, Emily is finally getting things back together. She doesn't need to re-do everything at work three times, her young daughter's soccer uniform is almost always clean the day of a game, and meals are pretty darn reliable, too. But hey, becoming a widow at thirty-three kind of knocks the starch out of you.
It's about family....more
Published November 1st 2007 by Pocket Books (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Do Me, Do My Roots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Me, Do My Roots

Betsy Fasbinder
This book is unashamedly Chick Lit and I rate it as compared to others in its genre. This is a story of sisters and girlfriends sharing their lives, their dreams, and their worries in ways that likely seems foreign to most guys but will ring true for many women readers. But Eileen Rendahl gives us more than a fluffy girly story here. She brings a special skill, a special heart to the writing that makes this women's story more real and more substantive than the Chick Lit genre often allows. Sure,...more
Kathy Hiester
Do Me, Do My Roots is about Emily who is a young widow, and mother to a seven year daughter, who is clinging to her daughter, her parents, her husband's best friend who's suddenly romantically interested in her, and her sisters. There is a definite play on words in the title. The “Root” mean not only her relatives but also the primary female characters meet to touch up their roots each month, the sisters perform standard beauty shop fair as they agonize over their love lives or lack there of. Th...more
Samantha Julmisse
A hilarious story of family, friends, sickness, health, life and love Do Me Do My Roots had me from the beginning. Our main character and her sisters are a laugh riot, reminding me of best friends. Things spike up and down for them, even before the start of the book takes place brining heartbreak and hilarity before we realize the universe isn't up to us. The realness of the characters was what really caught me (along with other things), I loved that they had real problems and handled them the w...more
Amanda
Jul 02, 2008 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who think Oprah's book club is FANTASTIC!!!
K
Mar 05, 2008 K rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: VERY forgiving fans of midlife chick-lit
Recommended to K by: Feige from the gym, who lent it to me
Shelves: couldntfinish
With all due respect to Feige, this book was crap. It had all the hallmarks of chick lit (flat characters, predictability, cliches) and failed to transcend the genre by actually being enjoyable to read. It was cutesy and forced, really trying too hard. The blurb gave away the one incident in the book that had the potential to actually be funny, and I wasn't motivated to read far enough to actually reach this incident because I knew what was going to happen, and the writing really wasn't grabbing...more
Dee
I so enjoyed this little read. If you like books about family, love, sisters who get along and all that good stuff, you will like this book. It isn't all roses. All of the sisters have been through or are going through issues in their lives and all of them are dealing with the aging of their parents. How they struggle through and discover their own strengths was an enjoyable ride.
Tracy L. Cathey
Sweet and fun read!

Sweet and fun read!

Sweet and fun read, I will be reading more by this author. Written well and likable characters, hoping for a series with this family of characters.

Lisa Otoupal-Robel
I enjoyed this book. I thought the dynamics between the sisters was fun. It's total unashamedly Chick Lit but not smut. I laughed aloud in many places.

It's a fun little book. Worth a read!
sandra monica
Sweet love

Sweet love

I enjoyed reading this book. Great story about family, love, and going thru hard times together. Would recommend it to anyone.
Denice
Wow!

Loved this story. I laughed out loud at the sisters bantering and their mother too. Funny, sometimes sad but definitely sweet. A great read.
Chaos
Sep 08, 2007 Chaos rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sister, or is a sister, or appreciates relationships laced with humor
Shelves: keepers
How Eileen Rendahl knew my family, I have no idea....but she nailed it. For the first time I was reading a book that honored the close-knit family...and didn't make me feel weird about how close-knit my own family was.

And she did it while making me laugh. And cry. With a touch of subtle that many authors can't manage. Other authors are too heavy-handed with the "you're going to laugh now" and "you're going to cry now" and "this one is going to touch you" stuff. I don't like being yanked around b...more
Marilyn
Good

this is one of those sad stories that finally turn our happen.the relationships of families and loved ones is inspiring.
Elaine
I got to 63% of this one but it didn't do anything for me. The only reason I got that far is because I was too busy to look for another book.
Carol
I really liked this book. There were times that I laughed out loud & had to fill my husband in on what I was laughing at. Loved the characters.
Erin
Opening the story, we find Emily's father having a "cardiac episode" gathering the whole family in the hospital, as any tight-knit family would. The sisters share life's ups and downs during their monthly root dyeing ritual. As their lives seemingly spiral on similar paths (mostly revolving around their dating lives, or lack thereof), each sister deals with different bumps and emotional bruises along the way.

I was expecting a little more from this book. The story was good enough, but the story j...more
Sara
A lot of words about nothing. the author just ramble. This could have been a cute, humorous love story, instead I found it boring. It was hard to finish.
Vivian
Okay, it must be me. After reading the reviews and putting this book on my Wish List, I couldn't wait to read it once it arrived. What a disappointment. I could not get into the book at all. I found it tedious and boring and finally gave up after 25 or so pages. I could not get a sense of the characters and found the chapter titles and hair color descriptions for each sister silly. I likely will not read any of this author's books in the future.
Taylor Werner
This is a very easy, romantic read that describes the love and loss of a young woman, Emily. Emily is a recent widow, and the story describes how she is trying to pick herself back up and get back into the dating world. Everything in Emily's world seems to be spiraling out of control, from her dating life to her family situations, but luckily she has great friends who attempt to keep her sane. I enjoyed this book as it was easy to read and a cute story.
Colette
A fun quick read about the lives of 3 sisters and their parents. As their parents age they view them and their lives differently
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2010 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Mom
Shelves: women-s-fiction
A wonderful story of three sisters in their 30s dealing with loss, through death and divorce, and love. Leah, Claudia, and Emily meet once a month to dye each others' hair and dish about dating, and their wacky parents. In-between dye-jobs they are in and out of each others' homes on a daily basis, sharing child care, and the minutiae of daily life.
It was alright - nothing special. It was difficult for me to get interested in any of the characters. However, I wasn't expecting all that much from it. It was obviously a girlie, light book. I usually like to read these pointless ones in between serious books. Now on to something more intriguing and well-written. :)
Stacy Natal
I'd give it a 3 1/2 stars if I could. It's a chick lit book, but it has some meat to it. The author experienced losing a husband to cancer and although she wrote it as a work of fiction, the emotions are real.
Dee W.
When did Chick!Lit get so depressing? I liked this novel a lot, it was a very easy read and straddled that good line of sop and substence.
Deb Julienne
This is one of my all time favorite books ever...it made me laugh, it made me cry, and made me fall in love. One awesome book read!
Paisley Kirkpatrick
This book was so fun to read that I could actually hear the author's voice as I read along. Loved the way she presented her story.
E
Picked this up at the library for a quick beach read. I hope I'm not disappointed!
It was better than I expected!
Julie
This was a funny, quirky book that had me laughing out loud sometimes and was a nice change of pace.
Jerrie
Enjoyable. I would recommend this to those who like chic-lit but want "a little something more."

Enjoy.
Molly O'keefe
This book broke my heart - one of my favorites of all time
JoAnne A.
My favorite book of all time!

Absolutely the best
  • Dating Dead Men
  • Making Mischief
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • The Cotton Queen
Don't Kill The Messenger (Messenger, #1) Dead on Delivery (Messenger, #2) Un-Bridaled Balancing in High Heels Dead Letter Day (Messenger, #3)