Start by marking “The Christmas Visit” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Visit
Marshall Thornton

The Christmas Visit

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  22 reviews
After his mother's death, a Chicago advertising executive in his early thirties returns to his tiny upstate New York hometown to spend the Christmas holiday with his recently widowed father. While struggling to get along with his prickly father, he finds himself becoming involved with the teenage crush he's never forgotten, now a closeted sheriff's deputy. The relationship ...more
Nook, 46 pages
Published December 20th 2008 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Visit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Visit

A lovely little Christmas reunited story a là Marshall Thornton with the real and interesting characters- the Dad was the best!!

With that everything has been said. :)

An enjoyable read in between, not only for a Christmas time and not only for the fans of Marshall Thornton!
Tami (synchro from BL)
A very good story about a young guy who comes home to his widowed father to his small home town for the christmas holidays. There he meets his first love, handsome deputy Larson, now unhappily married.
It was written in the first person POV and the narrators voice is a very interesting one. But what really made this book better than the average m/m holiday romance novella was the widowed Dad - he cut a really interesting character. Also the whole story was not overly sweet, but passionate and a
Rosa, really
Marshall Thornton couldn't write a typical MM Romance if his life depended on it. He's awesome that way.
The only thing the story had to do with Christmas was the timing of the visit. The nameless narrator comes home to spend time with his newly widowed father, their first Christmas since mom died. While there, he comes across Travis, a man he had sex with once, 15 years before, who is now married. Travis was cruel after they had sex the first time, and I can't imagine why narrator would want to be with him again, let alone dropping to his knees outside the church social. They hadn't had a relation ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
I enjoyed this story mostly because I am rather ambivalent about Christmas.
Yes I am a religious person and I enjoy that part of it but I dislike the heightened expectations and the enforced jollity and the need to spend piles of money whether you have it or not.

I dislike the way in which it is expected that people will be jolly and happy and have a fabulous time and the way in which families are expected to come together and be happy. Sometimes family is nice and other times it is stressful. So
Don't go into this expecting the usual holiday fare. This is not jingle bells and mistletoe. I'm not even sure I liked the couple, but I liked the writing. This father-son relationship felt very real. Uncomfortable around each other, but there's love there too. Their story made this worthwhile for me.
3.5 stars. Good short m/m holiday romance about a guy returning to the small town he grew up in to see his dad at Christmas. He keeps running into the deputy who he'd had a crush on and who is now married...
I’ve wanted to read something by this author for a while so I was pretty pleased to find this smaller offering. It gives you a good idea of the writing style and characters, but handles some difficult subjects that aren’t going to please all readers. There’s a happy ending that I’m not sure I bought into it fully and the story really lacked something due to the shorter length. However, it’s a quick mostly enjoyable read with characters that are definitely not run of the mill.

The story is told th
This was a very good story! There was a lot packed in to only 48pages. It quickly had me caring about the characters. It could easily be expanded to a longer novel.
T.M. Smith
3.5/5 ...

He left his childhood home and the boy he loved for an Art degree and promising career in Chicago. Now he’s back home after his mother’s passing to spend Christmas with his father. He has never forgotten that day by the lake with Travis, he doesn’t think he ever will, and all the memories come flooding back when he sees Travis for the first time in years.

Travis very unhappily married, but married none the less, so the two dance around their obvious attraction in the beginning. Travis’s
3.5 stars. This is a really interesting short story of a return visit home for our MC to his small town. His father is recently widowed and the retired Sheriff. He and his wife knew their son was gay, but the mother never really accepted that and it led to some difficult moments when she was dying.

One of the things our MC had hoped to avoid in town was his high school crush, Travis, one of his father's deputies. He's still in town and married. Not only can he not be avoided, but he seems to tur
When the main character in this story (whose name we do not know) goes back to his childhood home at Tomahawk Springs to spend Christmas, he expects to suffer from boredom and a few awkward moments with his recently widowed father. What he does not expect is to be faced with his first love, Travis Logan, and to realise his feelings towards the handsome man have not changed, despite the years, the fact that Travis is married and deeply closeted, and the not-so-happy ending of their first and only ...more
I like the writing style and the surprising meddling of his father. 3,5 star
Daniela Green

How can I not love a man that writes things like:

"the smell of him was as intoxicating as the kiss, sweat salty and over-sweet from some cheap aftershave, and something I couldn't quite place that was either testosterone or the come itching to get out of him" ?

Forget about gushing descriptions, ladies and gentlemen. This is the ultimate description of how an aroused man smells and tastes.
No place here for pink kittens dancing over a rainbow. This is Marshall Thornton. Take it or leave i
It's difficult to like a book when you intensely dislike one of the main characters and don't want him to get the HEA that's written.
A free read from AMAZON. I enjoyed this story. The author I have read and enjoyed his work. I liked the story line, and the characters.
A Christmas short (very short, only about 75% of book) but one that certainly felt longer and packed a punch.
A son (no name given I think?) comes home for Christmas to check on his recently widowed father. Whilst not hating each other, they rub along OK, with his Dad seeming to be up to something.
The son's childhood crush, Travis is now Sheriff and he and his wife come for Christmas dinner.
A bit maudlin, darkly funny, sad, hopeful, conniving - lots of mixed feelings come out in this short ta
A pleasant short story. A quick read just right for when you haven't got a lot of time. I enjoyed it.
After losing his mother before the Christmas holidays, --- goes home to his widowed father and his childhood home. It is always a bittersweet feeling when you go home to your childhood home, but this is worse because the family is grieving the loss of the matriarch of the family, but this gives the perfect setting for a second chances M/M romance.
The second chances love is with the son of the old sheriff and the deputy which is sweet.
48 pages and kindle freebie August 15, 2012
2 stars
Aura Steel
Aura Steel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Brad Lane
Brad Lane marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Maycon marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Great Review 1 2 Jul 05, 2010 03:57PM
Marshall Thornton is an award-winning novelist, playwright and screenwriter living in Long Beach, California. He is best known for the Boystown detective series, which has been short listed for a Rainbow Award three times and has been a finalist for the Lambda Award for gay mystery twice. Other novels include the erotic comedy The Perils of Praline, or the Amorous Adventures of a Southern Gentlema ...more
More about Marshall Thornton...