Start by marking “A Lick of Frost (Meredith Gentry, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Lick of Frost (Meredith Gentry, #6)

A Lick of Frost (Merry Gentry #6)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  22,405 ratings  ·  491 reviews

My
Published October 23rd 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Lick of Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lick of Frost

Lori Whitwam
I can't decide what I think about the latest installment in the Meredith Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton. Yes, I like the series. Yes, I like Merry and Darkness and Rhys and Frost and Galen, etc. The last couple of books have bothered me on some levels, mainly that they take place over the span of only about one day, and are over-packed with intrigue, politics, alliances, sex (recreational, procreational and/or political... not bad, just sort of a LOT of it for reasons I'm not always clear ...more
Tina
I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for Meredith to get pregnant already and for there to be some forward movement of plot in these books. Also, I was getting tired of the strung together scenes of sex...new magic...more sex...some more new magic.

This book really toned down on the sex, thank goodness. And, to be fair, the plot did inch forward infinitesimally. But this book was quite boring. It was a bunch of mirror conversations. First Merry talks to Taranis is the mirror for eleventy-b
Daniel2
I thought, "What the hell." Hamilton has sold enough books to fill a desiccated Lake Eerie, so I just had to pick one up, almost in spite of my own literary snobbishness. I've been wrong before. The fourth Harry Potter movie was out before I decided to pick up Philosopher's Stone and I was pleasantly surprised at the journey the good Ms. Rowling took me on.

I will tell you that I tried. Twenty pages worth of trying. The book (read: paper better used for wiping the asses of dysentery sufferers) w
Fishies
Elyzia
For me this series gets better with each book. I am always expecting the new love twist, the new magic, some new development. But this one, broke my heart....
I tend to get sucked into the books that I read that I truly love and enjoy.. I feel the emotions and develop my relationships with the characters.
Through out this series I have chosen my favorites...Doyle, Rhys, Frost, Galen and Kitto. I care a lot for the others, but these five are my favorites.
So much happens in this book, so many realiz
Grace
Holy crap. Now that's what I'm talking about. I've been giving LKH's Merry Gentry books progressively lower ratings because...well, my estimation of them has fallen greatly. What started as a magnificent series with lots of potential and a keen awareness of Celtic mythology had fallen into 200-some pages of endless sex romps with multicolored men.

Until now.

This book definitely turns all of that on its head, and actually *furthers the plot*...something that LKH has avoided for at least several b
Peggy O'Connell
I love this book, I love this series. This is the 6th book in the Meredith Gentry series. This was yet another book that I just couldn't put down. I can't get enough of Merry Gentry's world. Love it. Better than the Anita Blake series. Love the play on Celtic lore, the love story, the push for non christian perspectives. Absolutely adore Dole. Laurell finally got a powerful man right, no breaking this one down into fluff like she did with her vampire hero in the Blake series. Highly recommended ...more
Heather
Jul 18, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of LKH books
This is one of the best books in the Merry Gentry series! I loved it!

The plot thickens with Merry awakening all sorts of new powers in both the seelie and unseelie courts...

There is of course HOT sex, but also a great plot as well!!! Im am really impressed by this one and cant wait for the Swallowing Darkness!!!

WOW!!!
Kercelia
Stacy
I want it now!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhh!!! oh I can't wait. This is going to be awesome. Hey if anybody wants to discuss anything about Laurell K Hamilton's two series this one and the Anita Blake one check out Ladies who Love Laurell in the Group section. (we are under books and Literature then Romance) We got a discussion going about who's going to be Merry's babies daddy, so stop bye and throw in your two cents. Personall I think...

DOYLE FOR KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jas
Karissa
Ah, the next book in the Meredith Gentry series (book #6 if you want to keep track). This is a series that I read because I like reading about the Seelie and Unseelie courts. I am not sure why else I read it. The plot is complex and interwoven and the characters interesting. Meredith herself is an interesting contrast of personality traits. Like most of Laurell Hamilton's books I think I can best review this by breaking it down into the good, the bad, and the ugly.

This series makes no secret abo
I was really reluctant to read the Meredith Gentry books originally. I was so in love with the Anita Blake series that I just didn't want to read the other series for fear that it would be too Science Fictiony or *gulp* bad.

Now I am hooked and the only book I have kept of the Laurell K Hamilton books is this one. I sold all my other ones. So I guess that speaks of my enjoyment of this series.

And yes - I agree with the other reviewers that this book stood out and was right up there with the firs
Julia
Cassie
Thank goodness...a return to plot. After slogging through two short books of what amounted to a ridiculous amount of sex and very little storyline, I was getting ready to give up on the Merry Gentry series.

I was disappointed at first glance by the length of the book, thinking that 181 pages was not nearly enough to get the storyline going again. I am thrilled to be proven wrong. Without spoiling the story, events are finally turning again.

It feels like Merry has more control over her life and
Donna
I had planned to give up on Hamilton in general, but picked this up on a whim at the library. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that it actually had a plot, and one that didn't just involve Merry making out with everything in sight.

It was such an improvement that I almost rated it higher, but I still wouldn't call it a good book. The action packed ending was a pleasant surprise, but other parts really dragged. Merry's long relationship talks and the details of juggling her guards have become t
Sbuchler
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

I think this is the first Merry Gentry novel that focuses significant time on plot rather then sex! In fact, I don't think sex happens until after page 200 (which is pretty amazing, given I guess-ta-mate that the previous book had about 20 pages that _weren't_ sex). Events happen, evil plotting occurs! It isn't resolved, but the book reminded me of why I used to really like Laurell Hamilton's work. We get more actions from the King of the Seelie court! Poli
Suzanne Vegter
This is book 6 in Hamilton's series about Merry. I have enjoyed the entire series. However, as the fifth book seemed to have very little plot and lots of sex, this sixth book has only a few sex sceens and the plot moves along at a rapid pace. I felt like the book could have been a little longer and included something about what happened when she and her men first return back to Los Angels. I only say this because something happens then that turns out to be vital to the end plot, and it would hav ...more
Rebecca
the writing seems to be getting back to what it was. Picking up on the story arc from the previous books, Merry is still trying to get pregnant to get the throne of the Unseelie; to save it from her insane Aunt and cousin. The plot moves far in this book, although I wished it was longer. I won't say why, I wouldn't want to spoil it for those who havent read it yet, but the narrative has moved far. The biggest suprise of all though: there are only two well written sex scenes in this book. LKH see ...more
Brekke
Oh how this book breaks my heart. I love the story so much, I really do, but darn does this one make me cry every. single. time.

First, as in the last book we saw how unhinged Andais was becoming, so in this book do we see just how utterly insane Taranis is. It is definitely a problem when the rulers of the two major courts of faerie are bugnuts crazy, but that doesn't seem to be stopping either of them.

Second, the interplay of fae vs. human and fae vs. fae is fascinating in this tale. Taranis tr
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: I am Meredith Gentry, princess and heir apparent to the throne in the realm of faerie, onetime private investigator in the mortal world. To be crowned queen, I must first continue the royal bloodline and give birth to an heir of my own. If I fail, my aunt, Queen Andais, will be free to do what she most desires: install her twisted son, Cel, as monarch . . . and kill me. My royal guards surround me, and my best loved–my Darkness and my Killing Frost–are always beside me, sworn to protect ...more
May Mostly Romance
ถ้าคุณไม่ได้อ่านเล่มหนึ่งถึงห้ามา ก็คงอ่านที่เราเขียนไม่รู้เรื่องเป็นแน่ แล้วก็บอกต่ออีกว่า งานนี้สปอยล์นะคะ

หลังจากออกทะเลเปิดไปกับ Mistral's Kiss ลอแรลก็กลับมาแล้ว จากข่าวที่ได้ยินก็รู้สึกว่าเป็นเช่นเดียวกันนี้กับหนังสืออีกชุดที่ดังไม่แพ้กันของเธออย่างอนิต้า เบลก ที่เธอตัดฉากเซ็กส์ออก แล้วเน้นที่เนื้อเรื่องมากขึ้น

หลังจากให้เวลามากกว่าสามเล่มไปกับเหตุการณ์ที่เกิดขึ้นเพียงวันสองวัน ในฟรอสต์เล่มนี้เวลาผ่านไปหนึ่งเดือนแล้วหลังจากตอนจบในมิสทรัล เมื่อบอดี้การ์คและคู่รักของเธอสามคนถูกกล่าวหาโดยกษัตริ
Dee
4 stars (it may have been a bare touch below but not by much).

Ooh, this was a traumatic one. I'm not sure I can even keep the spoilers small. Firstly someone is transformed but in a way that's a loss (view spoiler)
Kerry
4.5 rating
Power, hunger for the unavailable then scheming to get it anyway. That is what her uncle is doing by any means necessary and as the master of magic he has a way of getting things done. Fortunately he lets lose in front of witnesses and proves he is in the wrong, the problem is he isn't done yet.
When your destined for something and live outside the world your suppose to rule it makes things harder. The also exiled with you will talk around you and can't ask to catch up. The cost is unim
Domino (aka Meme)
this one i have to say was just ok for me. other than Merry coming up preggo nothing else really happened in this book. wait a minute, something did happen; Taranis showed how crazy he was and i found out more about Frost's past. other than that it was pretty uneventful. hopefully the next book will be better.
Cyn Coons
No spoilers, but I will say that she did get away from the smut-a-palooza that marred her last crop of books.
We got to page 159 without there being any sex at all. This was really all plot. We're starting to go back to what made the series so addicting to begin with.
Casey
~*~Book Description~*~

Jaime
King Taranis shows just how far gone he is, and what he will do in order to eliminate his enemies and get Merry with child.
Seriously, what is with her family?!

The difference of time in the sidhe and in the world is explained well in chapter 3. Even though it's been a month since the events in book #5, the sidhe time is still ahead of the world's.

The most irritating thing was that the repetition is the same each and every time. Does the conversation of Merry's guards being hers REALLY have to be
Pete
A Lick of Frost is book 6 in Laurell K. Hamilton’s Merry Gentry series beginning about a month after Mistral’s Kiss in courtroom drama in a conference room where Rhys, Galen, and Abeloec are being charged with rape.

This exchange of information about why Merry’s guards were not being deprived of sex as accused by Taranis as the motive. An extended description of Merry’s care for her guys was sharing sex three times a day at least, with more than one man at a time, and an average of two and often
Sandra Rosa
  • Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian #7)
  • Changeling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #2)
  • Mona Lisa Awakening (Monère: Children of the Moon, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, #8)
  • Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3) The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4) Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)

“I will love you always. When this red hair is white, I will still love you. When the smooth softness of youth is replaced by the delicate softness of age, I will still want to touch your skin. When your face is full of the lines of every smile you have ever smiled, of every surprise I have seen flash through your eyes, when every tear you have ever cried has left its mark upon your face,I will treasure you all the more, because I was there to see it all. I will share your life with you, Meredith, and I will love you until the last breath leaves your body or mine.” 2305 likes
“We are not created equal in talent. But the place where we are least equal is the heart. You can work at a talent, take lessons, but love, love either works or it doesn't. You love someone or you don't. You can't change it. You can't undo it.” 91 likes