Start by marking “Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know” as Want to Read:
Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know

Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know

NAMED BEST MARKETING BOOK OF 2011 BY THE AMERICAN MARKETING ASSOCIATION How organizations can deliver significant performance gains through strategic investment in marketing

In the new era of tight marketing budgets, no organization can continue to spend on marketing without knowing what's working and what's wasted. Data-driven marketing improves efficiency and effectivenes
Published February 8th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Data-Driven Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Data-Driven Marketing

Jim Lavis
May 18, 2016 Jim Lavis rated it liked it
Jeff Bezos had this book listed on his reading list, which I discovered in his book The Everything Store. I’m a bit surprised he rated-it as high as he did. In some ways the book was insightful when it comes to simplifying the key matrices needed to gauge a successful marketing campaign using big data.

The book did a fine job outlining the challenges many organizations have when it comes to interpreting big-data, but it fell short outlining the steps needed to create a successful data discovery
Rocio
Jun 20, 2017 Rocio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
As some of the other readers who reviewed this book on Goodreads, I read this book because it was on Jeff Bezo's reading list at the end of "The Everything Store". It gives you a great understanding of why Amazon is so data-driven and ultimately why they are so wildly successful.

Old-fashioned intuitive marketing has no room in the contemporary world. It is obviously necessary to come up with creative ways to craft a message, but the channels, strategies and ultimate growth need to be data-drive
Luke Lawrence
Mar 06, 2017 Luke Lawrence rated it it was ok
I read this because it was on Jeff Bezos list. but God this book was boring, a little useless if your are already well versed in marketing, and information that has been standard for over a decade now.
Paul DeBusschere
Feb 15, 2012 Paul DeBusschere rated it really liked it
My background is not in marketing, it's in information technology, so I readily connected with Jeffery's message, which is that organizations can perform better by measuring their marketing efforts. Although this should be intuitively obvious, Jeffery demonstrates convincingly why organizations fail in the area of measuring ROMI. Having nearly twenty years of experience in IT, I can attest that this phenomenon isn't isolated to marketing organizations.

I rated the book four stars only because Jef
Bharti
Jan 31, 2014 Bharti rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mb
Manu
Jan 31, 2016 Manu rated it really liked it
Very interesting details about how technology driven marketing has become today. the 15 metrics that Mark have shared are pretty interesting & form the basis of data driven marketing. Any marketing organization would need to have the set up to track & measure these metrics. What was most interesting in this book was the real time examples to measure & track marketing in B to B world which has always been a big challenge when it comes to marketing operations. I really got some actiona ...more
John
Feb 06, 2017 John rated it liked it
Shelves: business, 2017-books
3.5 stars. Boring at times but obviously not meant to be super entertaining. If you do any kind of marketing work, or some kind of data work related to marketing, it's probably worth the time investment.
Bryan Rahija
Jun 02, 2014 Bryan Rahija rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
3.5 stars. solid breakdown of the basics of analytical marketing. would've been great to see a bit more detail on how to execute some of the models described, and a bit more detail on experimental design, but overall an informative read, and a decent way to keep the MBA skills sharp. obviously you should ignore this book unless you are in the marketing field (and probably only in marketing for larger companies).
Andrew Gallagher
Jun 26, 2012 Andrew Gallagher rated it really liked it
This is a dry book, that is not read for enjoyment. It gives the non-data business person an insight into the data-driven aspect of business. I am happy to have read it, though I would not recommend picking it up for leisure.
Mar 20, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: mba, 2012
The book is pretty easy to read, but the sheer volume of the acronyms around every page turn had me wishing I made a cheat sheet. I like the idea of finding a way to put hard numbers to what is normally considered a soft skill.
Katie Lyon
Jun 03, 2011 Katie Lyon rated it it was amazing
This book gives a great overview to new and experienced marketers alike on the how/why of measuring marketing effectiveness. It is jam-packed with applicable stories, and also gives access to user tools/templates. A must read for anyone in business!
Cody Ray
Nov 15, 2016 Cody Ray rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I flew through this book and am now going back through it taking copious notes. My favorite marketing book by far. And I'm a software engineer. So much goodness in here!
Ionut Tudor
Feb 10, 2013 Ionut Tudor rated it it was amazing
Very good book with good insights.
Sam
Oct 05, 2012 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview and description of marketing metrics. Good info as it relates to my understanding of data warehousing and analytics and the tie in to specifics of marketing area.
Roxanna
Jan 06, 2014 Roxanna rated it liked it
It's reads like a text book do harder to read on your own vs. classroom or group learning.
Jean-baptiste
Apr 20, 2013 Jean-baptiste rated it really liked it
Useful. Many tips and case study.
Gina
Jan 26, 2011 Gina rated it it was ok
Very basic but can be used as a reminder to always keep metrics front-of-mind.
Cindy
Dec 15, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Need more in-depth technique but very informative for beginners
Stephstocker
Stephstocker rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Loren
Loren rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Eva Suarez
Eva Suarez rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Jonathan Bonnick
Jonathan Bonnick rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Dmytro
Dmytro rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2016
Sameer poddar
Sameer poddar rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Stephenie Rodriguez
Stephenie Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Denis Vasilev
Denis Vasilev rated it did not like it
Aug 20, 2015
Bernard Fok
Bernard Fok rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Ricardo Oliveira
Ricardo Oliveira rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Jeffrey Lu
Jeffrey Lu rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Creation: Life and How to Make It
  • Memos from the Chairman
  • The Moment of Clarity: Using the Human Sciences to Solve Your Toughest Business Problems
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • The Anatomy of Buzz Revisited: Real-life lessons in Word-of-Mouth Marketing
  • Marketing Metrics: The Definitive Guide to Measuring Marketing Performance
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation
  • Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
  • A Fine Line: How Design Strategies Are Shaping the Future of Business
  • Bourgeois Dignity: Why Economics Can't Explain the Modern World
  • Reverse Innovation: Create Far From Home, Win Everywhere
  • The Wide Lens
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
  • Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It
  • Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World
  • Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back

“In a way, if you are the data-driven marketing business owner, your position is similar to the owner of a football team. You don’t get to train the players or call the plays, you just get to pay the bills but really need results to sell tickets and keep the stadium full.” 0 likes
“Research shows that a better strategy is to increase marketing spending.” 0 likes