Start by marking “The Shipment and Lear” as Want to Read:
The Shipment and Lear

The Shipment and Lear

“Lee's way of subverting expectations leaves us questioning our own latent assumptions and desires about theatre, race, death and entertainment. She understands and exploits the unique strengths of her medium: the ability to viscerally connect with an audience.” –The Economist

Experimental Korean American theatre artist Young Jean Lee has been called “one of the best experi
Published August 17th 2010 by Theatre Communications Group (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shipment and Lear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shipment and Lear

Caitlin Conlon
Oct 19, 2016 Caitlin Conlon rated it really liked it
Note that I only read The Shipment, as I read this for my Comparative Ethnic Literature class & the first play was the only one provided to us.

3.5 stars. I could really, really appreciate what the playwright was trying to do here. I would love to see this play in action, to really get the full effect of the stereotypes versus the comedian versus the "real" characters. A very interesting concept, one that I've never seen explored before.
William
Oct 16, 2011 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shipment ruled, Lear was a little hard to follow. I didn't like this collection as much as Songs, but The Shipment was great. My favorite part--and I've been using this bit to explain the pervasive racism in society to others--is the "Even Stevens" part. "Where one guys has THIIIIIIIIS much and the other guys has this tiny much, then you get a cookie and you split it RIIIIIIIIGHT down the middle." I also liked the absurdist go-no-where dialogues. Things that almost reach a point, but then ...more
Tom Romig
Jun 07, 2015 Tom Romig rated it it was amazing
Young Jean Lee's The Shipment blasts the stereotypes that make race relations in America so problematic. She says she writes of things that make her uncomfortable, in turn making audiences uncomfortable, with the result that we question our attitudes and assumptions. It's a disconcerting but bracing experience. (I just saw a well acted performance of the play at the Forum Theatre in Silver Spring, MD.)
Rowena
Dec 21, 2011 Rowena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-great, for-class
4.5. sooo gooddd/hilarious. the stand up in the beginning was a little overly patronizing, i felt. but it was a really great performance overall, esp the sitcom part! would have loved to have seen this live.
Tj Ciesla
May 14, 2013 Tj Ciesla rated it it was amazing
Lear is one of the most emotionally powerful plays I've ever read. But they're both a lot more difficult to read than too watch.
Kate Smith
Kate Smith rated it did not like it
May 05, 2012
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was ok
May 19, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2012
Elyse Rosen
Elyse Rosen rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Andrew Massey
Andrew Massey rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Biscotti
Biscotti rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it did not like it
May 16, 2012
Nathaniel Voll
Nathaniel Voll rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Carmen
Carmen rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Taryn Imwalle
Taryn Imwalle rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
David Caruso
David Caruso rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Chris
Jun 30, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two very strong, thoughtful plays.
Walter Villanueva
Walter Villanueva rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Zoe Erwin-Longstaff
Zoe Erwin-Longstaff rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Christine Bethke
Christine Bethke rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Eliana
Eliana rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2013