Por qué he matado a Pierre

Por qué he matado a Pierre

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Olivier Ka tells us a tale that is both personal and private, that of a child sexually abused by a priest, and does so without falling into clich? or tear-jerking melodrama. This is surprising since the child in question is Ka himself! The elegance of the full color illustrations by Alfred and the empathy between the two creators truly make this book stand out. A superb ex...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Ponent Mon (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Por qué he matado a Pierre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Por qué he matado a Pierre

Danielle
I grabbed this book due to the title and cover, not knowing what I was getting into. A dark autobiographical tale of sexual abuse in the French countryside was not what I had in mind.

Otherwise, Alfred's style mimics the protagonists mind-set throughout the novel, as he struggles with growing up with a dark secret and has it plague his adulthood too.
Potassium
I think this one works best without a description because it's kind of good to be confused at first I think.

Disturbing, yes. But also a very good portrayal of feelings and what happens when you bury something horrible down inside you for a long time...
This is a devastatingly beautiful graphic novel. It's autobiographical and belongs on the top shelf of graphic autobiographies, next to Persepolis, Maus, and Epileptic. I recommend reading this book as soon as you can.
Susan Rose
This is a memoir graphic novel following Oliver as he deals with the sexual abuse he suffered as a child by a Catholic Priest. This is incredibly beautifully written and the mixture of illustration styles and photographs really worked with the story.

I would have loved to know more about Oliver as he grows up, we get glimpses of his adulthood but I would like more. But I can appreciate that this graphic novel is about Oliver's story in regards to Peter.

Obviously this is a difficult subject to r...more
Anne Greene
Jun 03, 2010 Anne Greene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Anne by: Title lured me in
An excellent read. Not what I was expecting.
Arminzerella
Gaisce
abcdefg
I haven't read many graphic novels at all. In fact, I think this may only be my second. I found this surprisingly mature and heart wrenching as it details a young boy coming of age and dealing with the inner demons of sexual abuse.

I should also note, this book is a nonfiction piece, which I found to be incredibly refreshing as well as telling in the way it conveys such serious subject matter.

The illustrations are simple, but effective in conveying the overall mood and tone of the story. But the...more
Kirk
I walked into this one oblivious of the plot and I was enjoying the story and art until (view spoiler). And then to have this dominate the rest of the story was likewise disappointing; but I guess it's rightly so that it should be a main preoccupation for the abused, especially if they try to ignore it while growing up. You can only run for so long. It's amazing, the extent to which abuse of any kind messes up a person's brain f...more
Elizabeth
Based on a true story, ok, I won't discount the experience or feelings. But a disgustingly stereotypical look at catholic priests, and liberal ones in particular. I grew up Catholic, no longer follow the religion, but I couldn't handle this. And maybe we should talk about some of those oh so perfect conservative priests who have abused many, many boys. pfff.

Worst part perhaps? When I saw the book on the shelf at work I thought, a book about killing a priest? Must be about child molestation, but...more
Philip
I thought this was a very well written/ interesting graphic novel. A bit too intense for me at times.

(view spoiler)...more
Joanie
Reading this book was a really weird experience for me. The illustrations of the priest "Peter" looked so much like a priest/professor that I had in college that it threw me for a loop. Bear with me a minute while I give a bit of background.

This priest/professor was one of the most popular teachers at my school. I had him for "Psychology of Dreams" and he also taught "Pscyhology of Identity and Human Sexuality" but he was out on medical leave the semester I was in that class. He played popular...more
Regina
An interesting and heartfelt look at the author's molestation as a young boy by the priest friend of his agnostic parents.

Olivier's parents never cared either way about religion, but his grandparents do. They keep Olivier every year and during that time he visits church with them. His grandmother tells him stories about hell that frighten him and deter him from forming any real connection to church. But then there's Peter. He's a priest, but he is friendly and gentle. He isn't frightening at al...more
Lacey Louwagie
I read about this book in VOYA, and the fact that it was a graphic novel that included both Belgium and priests had me hooked. When it arrived through Interlibrary Loan, I was disappointed that the illustrations were a lot more "cartoon-y" than I expected, so that neither the priest nor Belgium looked like anything I recognized.

Still, once I got over that, I could appreciate the style in its own right, particularly the way the artist made use of exaggerated size to capture the "smallness" of the...more
Wendy
This is another gem I uncovered while moving our gn collection where I work.

I had no clue what it was about, but am attracted to these independent-type gn's as opposed to the whole Marvel/DC thing.

Wow, is all I have to say.

What it's about: (view spoiler)...more
Michael
Non-fiction comics are one of my odd passions. I love to read about other peoples lives. I don't really care if they are famous or not. Why I killed Peter is a very interesting story of Olivier Ka. The graphic novel follow Olivier through his life as he deals with some hard questions, Does God exists? Will I go to hell? Plus how to deal with someone you love hurting you. Olivier personal quest for understanding is excellent portrayed. At times it can be hard read as things get intense, but the e...more
Peacegal
3.5 stars - I'll admit to being a bit hesitant to read this book, because upon opening the pages, the first thing I saw was a cartoon of a man embracing a grossly huge pregnant belly. However, I flipped through the rest of the book and found that it didn't seem to be as breederiffic as it first appeared, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Thankfully, there were no disgusting birth scenes or baby talk after that single page, unlike a previous graphic novel I read from Alfred.

That's not to say Peter...more
Emilia P
Sexual abuse by priests wreaks havoc on notions of faith, faith being pretty much the most intimate part of many people's lives. And this book gets at that, very personally, very directly, and very no-easy-answers-y. The protagonist paints a vivid picture of his free-spirit parents and his church-going grandparents and the bearish (even initially loveable) hippie priest who seems to simply radiate the love of Christ rather than making needless rules and putting the unchurched down. And the disap...more
The Book Geek
True story about a boy who was molested by a Catholic priest. I was kind of surprised to discover this. I just knew I was reading a French comic.
Leif
Pretty harrowing. Maybe cathartic for the writer. Certainly not so for its readers.
Amy
I picked this book out based on the title...I thought "Hey, sounds like a cool murder mysery!" or something. Turns out it's an autobiographical account about the lasting effects of the experience of child molestation by a priest.

Did not really see that coming.

However, the book was beautifully done. The timeline of the story, from age 7 until mid-adulthood really laid out the story in an effective and accessible way. The artwork was beautiful, and I really enjoyed the incorporation of photography...more
Dawn Rutherford
Well done, though the title is a bit misleading.
sweet pea
i really loved this book. the way the story is unfolded is masterfully done. the introduction of Olivier, his family, and Peter. the build-up of trust and the breach of it. the aftermath, not apparent until decades later. it's a beautiful reflection on an ugly topic. the art is gripping. something about the chapter header illustrations made me just stare at them. i love the way the art changes at the end - to photography and apocalyptic scenes befitting the turmoil. plus, the title is brilliant....more
Margarita
Sometimes a bit disturbing for me, I've really liked the way in which the story is presented. Abuse is something that haunts the abused person in ways that are not always obvious. I don't know how i would find closure to such an episode in my life - I'd probably avoid it and try to forget it as it had never happened, until the nightmare caught me. I just felt... Better, to know this story has been written and drawn. I'd like to do illustration one day, so it was also an inspiration for me.
Sasha Boersma
This was a random selection from the library, had no idea it was autobiographical or what it was about, so, ick on discovering the subject matter (awkward story to tell). That said, fascinating rollout of the story, with a beautiful illustration style to companion it.
Jen Held
It was a good book- a deep story that deals with the ugly, damaging nature of pedophilia. Warning, it can be triggering for some individuals, so read with caution. But if you can get past that (as well as the frequent typos), then this story is worth a read. The art is simple, mixing a few types of media. The character copes with has happened to him in a healthy way, and as a result grows. For sure worth reading.
Koen Claeys
Een strip over een pedofiele priester gemaakt door één van zijn slachtoffers. 'Waarom Pierre dood moest' van Olivier Ka en tekenaar Alfred is geen afrekening, maar een genuanceerde reconstructie. De auteur bekijkt ook de beleving (en hypocrisie)van zowel gelovigen als ongelovigen met betrekking tot het katholicisme.
The Reader's Bookshop
Stunning, unique artwork and a compelling story - a true tale about a boy's molestation by a priest, Peter, a family friend. The boy grows into a man and eventually finds the courage to confront Peter about what he did. Even those not into graphic novels will like this one.
Caleb
An extremely well made and well told book about a difficult subject--a 12-year-old boy being sexually abused on night at a summer camp by a preist, who was a family friend he greatly admired.

Review here:
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Grasse carcasse (Blast, #1)
  • West Coast Blues
  • Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life
  • Paul Has a Summer Job
  • The Next Day: A Graphic Novella
  • Pitch Black
  • You'll Never Know, Vol. 1: A Good and Decent Man
  • The Secrets Come Out (Aya, #3)
  • A Mess of Everything
  • A Game for Swallows: To Die, to Leave, to Return
  • The Borden Tragedy: A Memoir of the Infamous Double Murder at Fall River, Mass., 1892 (A Treasury of Victorian Murder)
  • The Infinite Wait and Other Stories
  • Empire State: A Love Story (or Not)
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Freddie and Me: A Coming-of-Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody
  • Monsters
  • Psychiatric Tales
  • Julio's Day
My Great Big Mamma Le magasin des suicides Un coeur noir L'ange Ordinaire Lisa et l'oiseau de sang