Start by marking “Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #4)” as Want to Read:
Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #4)

Executive Power (Mitch Rapp #6)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  29,079 Ratings  ·  615 Reviews
CIA superagent Mitch Rapp battles global terrorism in a high-octane follow-up to The New York Times bestselling Separation of Power -- another chillingly authentic adventure from the master of the political thriller.

Mitch Rapp's cover has been blown. After leading a team of commandos deep into Iraq to prevent Saddam Hussein from joining the nuclear arms race, he was publi
Published May 25th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published May 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Executive Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executive Power

Dave Schumaker
Sometimes, I'm not sure why I keep reading these books. It's basically a guy's version of a romance novel. Spies! Bad guys! Action! Cheesy dialog! It's a literary version of the television show 24.

That said, any story involving Mitch Rapp is a page turner, no matter how poorly written or how much the author's disdain for things like the UN, diplomacy, and liberal universities seep through the story.

Break down:

+ 4 stars for mostly gripping story
- 1 star for a totally lame way to off the antagonis
Richard
6.5/10

This was a disappointing entry into the stellar series in my opinion. There were three main plot elements and as it transpired there wasn't a great deal to link them in the end.

You can't fault Vince Flynn's ability to add a good bit of action/adrenaline sequence in which is what we got with a hostage rescue mission in the Philippines but there was no real need for this in the greater scheme of things. It's almost like the main plot wasn't long enough or filled with enough testosterone for
Samuel
Jul 13, 2015 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE UNIONS

“Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.”- Napoleon.

Welcome to the second story arc of the Mitch Rapp saga. I like to call this one the "matrimony arc", due to it spanning Mr Rapp's marriage. Don't worry though. White picket fences aren't for the war on terror's blunt instrument, and the three acts that make up this part of the series features some of the more severe threats Rapp encounters.
Back in the day, before Al Quaeda and Daesh made the Middle East a constantly
Fred
Dec 23, 2013 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 6 in the chronological order of the Mitch Rapp series, Executive Power, was another good read from author Vince Flynn. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the previous 5 Mitch Rapp books, however, this story was somewhat slower than the others. Since Mitch's cover was blown in the previous book, Separation of Powers, Flynn sends Mitch's character in another direction. It appears that Mitch's life is now more administrative and husbandly that ever before. He is desperately trying to leave his ...more
karl
Jun 26, 2008 karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recreation readers - planes, beaches
This is about the 3rd or 4th CIA, special ops, our stud hero is "Rapp", reads like believeable current events, fiction novel by Vince Flynn that I have read. I love his stuff, but maybe my Sunday Times friends would not stoop this low. It's exciting, there are two stories being developed at the same time, and those two stories meet near the end in a dramatic way. Flynn is from the Twin Cities. You can tell he probably is a fan of Dick Cheney, and not a fan of p.c. Prius-driving folks. Flynn thro ...more
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; NOVEMBER 16, 2015
Narrator: George Guidall

I must have been very tired as I couldn't follow the story. There were two storylines going on throughout the book and seemed unconnected but you know it is so it adds to the frustration. With audio, it's even more frustrating as I couldn't go back and check for something I missed. But in the end, it didn't seem to matter because all I needed was to listen to Rapp's rant in the final quarter and got the gist of the entire book in five
Linda Munro
Oct 17, 2012 Linda Munro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I ordered this book from the library it would arrive with several other 7-day books and I was never able to complete the book before it had to be back. This time, as soon as I got the book, I sat and read it.

The Mitch Rapp series are full of adventure, terror and page turners from the start; no wonder there is always a waiting list for these Vince Flynn books!

While all books in the series make the reader believe they are actually reading a case from a current newspaper account; this b
The Cats Mother
6th in the Mitch Rapp series, if you include the two prequel books. This one has Mitch travelling to the Philippines to rescue an American family kidnapped by terrorists, while a Palestinian assassin is plotting to make the UN vote for statehood. This is the first book of the series set after 9/11 but it is only referred to in passing, which seems odd when read now, but it is over a decade old. There's the usual mix of action, intrigue and politics, and we get to see a more human side of Rapp - ...more
Christopher Davies
Executive Power, the fifth book in Vince Flynn’s series is by no means an exception to his outstanding repertoire of literature. This book, unlike some non-stop fighting, Rambo-like story, is instead a remarkably realistic and view of modern politics. Flynn has created the right mix of espionage, combat, and political intrigue that is rife with action and never lets up. Despite what many may think before reading this book, the political side is just as interesting if not more so at times than th ...more
Mieke Schepens
Apr 21, 2015 Mieke Schepens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je wordt meteen in het verhaal getrokken door de prettige manier van schrijven van deze auteur. Korte zinnen en geen moeilijke woorden. Hierdoor leest het boek als een trein.
Het zijn eigenlijk twee verhalen in één boek. De hoofdpersoon Mitch Rapp kan zijn hartje ophalen als oplosser van de problemen die hij voorgeschoteld krijgt.
Navy Seals, CIA en Geheime dienst zijn volop aanwezig in deze spannende actie-thriller.
Bovendien is Mitch pas getrouwd en Anna, zijn vrouw is niet bijzonder blij met zij
Mr. Gottshalk
Jul 04, 2016 Mr. Gottshalk rated it really liked it
Well, I have never read the series before this year, and I believe I am now a Mitch Rapp fan. Although this novel reads like two stories in one, it was filled with entertaining characters in a fast-paced narrative. I like how the author uses characters both with and against each other, and the chapters are just long enough to keep on turning pages. I recommended it!
Winter Sophia Rose
Action Packed, Edge Of Your Seat Read!!! I Loved It!!!
Speesh
Oct 02, 2016 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller, terrorism
So, why all the titles with Power in them? The third is Transfer of Power, number five is Separation of Power, number six, Executive Power. I wondered at one point if it was something to do with parts of the US constitution relating to the office of President, but I’m not sure. I don’t know the US constitution all that well. I don’t know it at all, actually. Well, apart from the amendment about guns law was so that people out in the wilds (as all US was at the time), were allowed to keep a muske ...more
D.R.
Feb 07, 2014 D.R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was bound to happen. Mitch Rapp gets married in "Executive Power," the sixth book in Vince Flynn’s series featuring the hard-hitting CIA agent, Mitch Rapp. Although Rapp promises his wife Anna that he’ll stay out of harm’s way, his marriage has little impact on the counterintelligence agent’s MO. In a matter of days after their honeymoon, Mitch is fighting rebels in the jungles of the Philippines, side by side with his SEAL buddies, rescuing a kidnapped American family and taking down a trait ...more
Benjamin Thomas
This one didn't seem quite up to Vince Flynn's standards although I am having trouble putting finger on exactly why. It might be because it deals a lot with the Israel/Palenstine political situation which isn't my favorite. Or it might be because there are really two seperate stories here, two novellas really, that only minimally tie-in together.

And Mitch Rapp's wife is really starting to annoy me.
Rupesh Goenka
The plot of the book can be divided into two different parts, one starting with the rescue of American family held hostage in Philippine & the other revolving around American involvement in the conflict between Arabs & Israelis about a separate Palestinian statehood. AVERAGE POLITICAL THRILLER.
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I could ever tire of Mitch Rapp, assassin working for the US Government or his boss, Irene Kennedy. I am, however, already tired of his wife who first appeared in the last book. Oh well. Otherwise, this series continues to delight from the first word to the last.
Shawn
Jul 21, 2016 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Overall, an exciting thriller. I liked what Flynn did with the two simultaneous story lines early on, but ultimately I wish they were better integrated. The plot and ending is a bit far-fetched, not impossible just not all that plausible. But that's what one would expect from this genre.
Jeff Kent
Aug 11, 2012 Jeff Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still surprised that this series hasn't been brought to the theater ala Cussler, Clancy or Ludlum. These are well thought out modern day thrillers.
Jim A
May 02, 2013 Jim A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reread for me.
Joyce
Sep 07, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Vince Flynn! I liked this one, but it did not have enough relational intimacy for me.
Corey
Dec 13, 2016 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun action-packed thriller by Vince Flynn! During the first few chapters, it started out wicked slow and hard to follow but after the first few chapters it started to pick up. Slightly better and more fast-paced than the 2 previous books in the series, The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4) by Vince Flynn and Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5) by Vince Flynn.

CIA Operative Mitch Rapp, whose cover had been blown in the previous novel is now working behind the scenes as a CIA Advisor, kind of a Jack Ryan position (the protagonist of the Tom Clancy novels). Which for awhile I didn't really
Brad
Nov 14, 2016 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big fan of the series and this one is of course no exception. My only gripe is due to my own lack of geopolitical knowledge. I had a hard time following the story because of that and found myself having to google quite a few groups of people both location wise and religious to better help me follow the story. So my rating of 3 instead of the usual Rapp score of 4 is due only from the heavy serving of foreign policy/disputes that made this one fall just a small notch below the others for me.
Douglas Barrow
Superb story telling.

A lone Palestinian terrorist has big plans to bring about the creation of a Palestinian state. With the help of a wealthy Saudi prince he puts his grand plans in motion.

Meanwhile a team of US Navy SEALs are on a mission to rescue an American family taken captive in the Philippines by terrorists. But their mission is compromised...

This book is a page turner of the first order and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jeanne
Dec 30, 2016 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot going on in this story, but the various story lines converge at the end. Full of action and suspense, paired with a hero you can't help but root for, all add up to a story that was a great listen on audio CD. Good story for my first read/listen for this author; made even better by a great narrator, George Guidall! Ratings bump because of the narrator -- 8 out of 10.
Tyler Wood
Dec 20, 2016 Tyler Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To the point. I have a secret love of these types of books, though I wouldn't say they're my "thing." A buddy told me that he liked them. I enjoyed the impossible greatness of the main character and though he's more of a superhero than anything else, who cares? A fun read.
Paul O'Neill
Nov 08, 2016 Paul O'Neill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, best one so far!!

If you enjoyed the tv show, 24, then you'll love this. One of my favourite series, Flynn never fails to disappoint.
Jon
Sixth installment in Mitch Rapp series and my least favorite episode so far. Not a bad entry (the second half is better than the first) just drawn out and short on action.
Forest
Nov 01, 2016 Forest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is a little short. Now move on the #7
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 16 Mar 10, 2016 06:20AM
RIP Mr Flynn 55 166 Dec 21, 2014 08:59AM
Atterberry Englis...: Book Review 5 9 Mar 04, 2014 12:00PM
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • Assassin (Alexander Hawke, #2)
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)
  • Black Ops (Presidential Agent, #5)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
Vince Flynn died June 19, 2013 after losing his battle with prostate cancer.

The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988. After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist. In 1990 he l
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)

“It was war, and in war the truth was almost always the first casualty.” 1372 likes
“It was not possible to reason with unreasonable people” 14 likes