Start by marking “Scooter” as Want to Read:
Scooter

Scooter

Scooter Riley–named after Yankee shortstop Phil Rizzuto–is just a regular kid growing up in the Bronx, right near Yankee Stadium, in 1969. His father, Patrick Riley, is a New York City cop. His grandfather, a fireman for thirty years, is a man who firmly believes that all of life’s great lessons are explained in baseball lore. In the wake of the assassinations of Dr. King ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Scooter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scooter

Soho_Black
Dec 17, 2014 Soho_Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
There are some places you don't expect to find someone with great novel writing talents. Actors, models, politicians and presenters have tried writing with varying levels of quality and success. Perhaps the most unlikely and possibly the best of them all is Mick Foley, a man who spent a long career as a WWE wrestler, which involved being hit around the head rather a lot. Despite this, or maybe because of this, he has subsequently become a very decent writer and "Scooter" is his second novel.

Scoo
Michael Ferrari
Oh, Mick Foley. I like you, I really do. And I really like you as an author, maybe even more so than I liked you as a professional wrestler who used to do ridiculously over-the-top stunts (Hell in the Cell, anyone?) just to shock your audience. When I read your first novel, Tietam Brown, I praised it everywhere I could and commended you on your impressive ability to put a little sweet cherry on the heartbreaking beats that populated your coming-of-age story set in the 80s. I was so impressed tha ...more
Jason
As a professional wrestling fan as well as a writer and voracious reader, I was excited to learn that Mick Foley, the "Hardcore Legend" had turned to writing fiction after the success of his wrestling memoirs.

Now, after having read both of his outings as an author of fiction, I am just a little perplexed.

Perhaps I am guilty of knowing a little too much about Mick Foley the man himself. For I find the content of both Tietam Brown (his first novel) and now Scooter just a little odd.

Both books f
Tamora Pierce
Mick Foley should be writing YA. I think he'd be great at it, because he's so good at writing clear, direct fiction and non-fiction (HAVE A NICE DAY, FOLEY IS GOOD) with a sense of humor, without skating around reality. SCOOTER proves (as did TIETAM BROWN) that he can write teenaged boys very well.

SCOOTER is set in the Bronx and Long Island in the 1960s and 1970s. His portrait of the Bronx in particular, at this point in time, is rich, detailed, and economical--the novel is spare for the amount
Ryan
Nov 26, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
Rick
Apr 14, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Foley is a good writer. Pretty amazing considering the number of chair shots he has taken to the head over the years. Plus that 20-foot drop from the top of a steel cage that knock teeth out.

He must channel that pain into his writing, because while there is a basic warmth to the story, there is a depth of pain and torment that his title character Scooter must endure.

Foley captures the turmoil of a changing demographic during the turbulence of the '60s and '70s. Classism, racism, poverty, greed,
Justin Sylvia
Aug 06, 2011 Justin Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When i first started this book, i thought that i had most of the book and plot line figured out. Not that it was a bad thing but i figured that it would follow in familiar steps of Mick Foley's debut novel Tietam Brown, of which i also enjoyed. It wasn't till a certain point that i realized that what i thought was going to be a warm hearted plot line with the ups and downs of the main character Scooter Reilly turned to a feeling of almost living vicariously through Scooter. There is one particul ...more
Sep 07, 2007 Brian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book ranks as one of the worst books I have ever decided to slug through to the end. In a weak moment, I bought it while on a trip after finishing the book I had brought along. It is about a boy and his very disfunctional family from the Bronx in NYC and then later Long Island. Baseball is the underlying theme of this book, which was why I picked it up. But the story line is weak and contrived and the ending is absolutely stupid. Please, don't bother with this. I can't see myself ever even ...more
Colt
Jan 01, 2012 Colt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I respect Foley as a writer, wether there were parts of the book that dragged or didn't flow organically Foley makes up for with his writing style and humor. Anybody that's read his biography's, specifically his first two will be able to pick up on where he injects his own humor and even has the grace to put his father in the book while resorting to his self deprecating humor referring to himself as a child as a "pretty goofy looking kid."

He wrote this as if he looked at one of the kids that he
Daniel Johnston
Got about 75 pages through this book when the baseball references became too much. It makes up a large proportion of the book, and I just couldn't hold my interest through it. I don't follow New Zealand's major national sports, let alone another country's sports.

Was a tad depressing because I loved Tietam Brown. One day I'll sit down and force my way through the book as I'm sure when I get invested I will love it, but I just can't give it that much time when there is my six week old baby to look
Davy
Jan 24, 2012 Davy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was another great story by Mick Foley. It was a good read but the only problem I had was that I'm not a baseball fan at all. I know it's america's passtime but I think it's like watching paint dry. So in this story it was hard getting through the parts where it went on and on about baseball. However if you are a baseball fan and a fan of dark comedy you will absolutely love this book.
Diane
Jan 30, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports

Scooter’s family lives in the Bronx and loves the Yankees. His grandfather loves the Yankees and his father loves the Yankees. But the story is really about families. About how they interact, and how they fail and succeed, about how they stop talking for reasons no one can really remember after while, and about how they try to change.
Chris Dean
Mar 29, 2013 Chris Dean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book started out with some promise, but I thought that the storyline turned out to be too fabulous for my tastes.
Kimberly Fleming
Feb 24, 2008 Kimberly Fleming rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kimberly by: Sean
A very well written book and a crazy and interesting story. Mick Foley may be more talented as a writer than as a wrestler. A bit too much baseball for my taste, but a very unique story.
Jeff
May 20, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second favorite book by my favorite WEE wrestler-turned-novelist. A story about baseball, growing up, changing neighborhoods and violence. At turns funny and sad, bleak and affirming.
Jun 06, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Addicted to all things Foley.
Mat
Mat rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Mdj
Mdj rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2009
Carolyn Hoskins
Carolyn Hoskins rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
May 16, 2008
R.E. Caceres
R.E. Caceres rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2008
David Lutz
David Lutz rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Quirkydude
Quirkydude rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2009
Monky
Monky rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Guy
Guy rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2007
Clint Moore
Clint Moore rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Gregg
Gregg rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2011
James Montgomery
James Montgomery rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2013
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Homeland
  • Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story
  • Controversy Creates Cash
  • Are We There Yet?: Tales from the Never-Ending Travels of WWE Superstars
  • Lita: A Less Traveled R.O.A.D.--The Reality of Amy Dumas
  • Ted DiBiase: The Million Dollar Man
  • Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation
  • It's Good to Be the King...Sometimes
  • Drifting South
  • Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero
  • Gem X
  • The Brave
Mick Foley is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of several memoirs, a WWE Hall of Famer, and the author of numerous books for children. He has appeared on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Late Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O’Brien, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Good Morning America, Family Feud, Fox News, and has made several appearances on The Today Show. He was featured ...more
More about Mick Foley...