Start by marking “The Pirate Vortex (Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Vortex (Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter, #1)

The Pirate Vortex (Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Teen fencing champ, Elizabeth Latimer, is a girl of her times. Armed with the latest palm computer, she leaps into an oceanic vortex in pursuit of Daniel, an oh-so-awesome pirate. He knows the whereabouts of her missing marine archaeologist mom, but instead of reuniting them, he leads her into an impossible mission-to help the pirate Calico Jack Rackham rescue his girlfrie ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Trafford Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Vortex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Vortex

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
185th out of 372 books — 512 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutHeart of Oak by David        CookLiberty or Death by David        CookBrett Enters the Square Circle by David D. D'AguannoAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Kindle Books under 3 bucks
167th out of 562 books — 497 voters

More lists with this book...

Werner
Feb 13, 2015 Werner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of pirate-themed reads, time-travel yarns or action heroines
"Calico Jack" Rackham, a Caribbean pirate hanged soon after his capture in 1720, his lover and fellow pirate Anne Bonny (b. ca. 1700) and a few other characters in this series-opening novel were real-life people, who left behind an historical record in A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates (1724), by one Capt. Charles Johnson. (Johnson is otherwise unknown; many scholars surmise, as Cannon assumes in her novel, that this was a pen name used by Daniel Defoe. ...more
Tami
Elizabeth Latimer is a pirate hunter. You could say pirating and pirate hunting are in her blood. Her Dad was a sailor. Her mother a pirate (well, she salvaged old shipwrecks for a living). What Liz didn’t know was that even further back she was actually related to the pirates Calico Jack Rackham and Anne Bonny.

This little known fact becomes all too important as Liz is faced with the disappearance of her mother. Coincidentally, Liz’s Mom was working on Rackham’s ship when she found the key to t
Elise
Okay, so.

If you read this book, you won't read it for the literary genius, or the fact that it'll win a Newbery Medal, because, frankly, it won't.

You will read it for the same reason you watched "Snakes on a Plane"; or ate the extra carton of bubble-gum flavored ice cream, even though you're on a diet; or you secretly danced to your old Spice Girls CD.

You read it because it's fun.

It's not written for contests, or to win anything; it's written to bring the tiniest bit more cheesy enjoyment int
Belinda Boring
I eagerly waited for this book to arrive in my mail (I watched the mailbox like a hawk) and after reading only the first few pages I knew it had been worth the wait. This book was EXTREMELY funny and kept me entertained clear up until the end. In fact when I finished it my first thought was to ask the author whether my book had missing pages and then to check online to see if the next book was out yet. I don't remember ever reading a book with pirates in it before but it didn't take long before ...more
Betty
What a great YA novel! When I was in my teens many years ago, this is exactly the kind of book I'd have been drawn to. As a teenager? Not necessarily, I loved it as a long-in-the-tooth adult. I'm sure my grandchildren will love it, too.

Pirates, adventure, time travel, teen protagonists, what's not to love! Deborah Cannon, you have a wonderful knack of creating a great story with fact amongst your fiction. This book was completely up to date in the present time, and very well researched in the 18
Julia
So I got around to reading the book .. finally it's been on my bookshelf pleading with me to be read. I must say that I enjoyed the book and read it in one sitting. It's a lighted hearted adventure story with a strong female character with a quirky family which we can all relate to. It's definitely a great summer read book or for relaxing. It's got some humor, adventure , mystery , love and of course PIRATES!! My favourite character was the swearing parrot , who knew what to say at the right tim ...more
Caroline
I was so lucky! and won this in the Goodreads firstreads contest!
This book was very enjoyable to read, with great developed, entertaining characters, and a storyline that will keep you reading till the end. Overall, very good book and fun, quick read by Deborah Cannon. Can't wait to see if Deborah will go on with the characters and stories for more in the series.
Jan

When Elizabeth's mother is reported missing, Liz will stop at nothing to try to find her. She did not know at the time what lengths she would have to go to find her.
This book is exciting, captivating and fun to read. I love the fact that the reader never knows what will happen next. I'm looking forward to reading more of Deborah Cannons work.
Deborah Cannon
Nov 24, 2009 Deborah Cannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author of this book and just want to say how much fun I had writing this story. I loved creating Elizabeth and her world and all the piratical escapades that still make me laugh when I think about them. Hope you'll have as much fun reading the book as I did dreaming it up. Thanks for putting it on your shelves!
Kristi
This was a fun read. The story was very straightforward and uncomplicated, but it was an interesting idea and it was wrapped up very nicely. The adventure was great and kept the story moving along very well.
Heather
The characters are wonderfully crafted. And the storyline is simply marvelous. I enjoyed every minuet of reading it. Debrorah Cannon is a very talented writer
Liz
Jan 09, 2015 Liz marked it as to-read
WANT with so much intensity that I think my spinal cord is complaining.
Pam
Feb 05, 2010 Pam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction, ya
I was lucky enough to win this in a GoodReads contest. I loved the main character - a fencing, technology-toting heroine. The action moved the story quickly, and at times I wanted it to slow down so I could get more from the characters and savor the scene. I would love to see how the stories would be shaped under the hands of an editor that is worthy of Elizabeth's character. I wish I could write as well.
Megan Hansen
I don’t want to say anything mean about this book, so I will say this; It was an easy, indulgent, light read. It had all the staples of a tween adventure novel, including a damsel in distress moment or two. Okay, I have to say one negative thing. When you catalog how long it takes characters to do most everything, it gets tedious.

But it had pirates in it and it wasn't terrible, so it gets three stars.
Annm
I found this book difficult to get through. I thought some of the characters were engaging, but it just didn't flow for me. Also, I think I am about 30 years older than the intended target audience, and it just didn't translate.
Tami
I wasn't quite sure about this book in the first few chapters. Text talk, and product endorsements galore. It did get better. The story was fun, though quick. Quite entertaining. Good kickoff to a series.
Mohammad Khan.ch.
Mar 08, 2010 Mohammad Khan.ch. marked it as to-read
dears,

it is a nice book, indeed. yours, khan.waiting!!!!!!
Bud Latanville
Bud Latanville marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
M.j.
M.j. marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Carrie Naughton
Carrie Naughton marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Peter Bell
Peter Bell marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Fireslily
Fireslily marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sequel to The Pirate Vortex 1 1 Jun 08, 2013 05:52AM
"Nice Books" 1 7 Feb 14, 2010 08:50PM
Deborah Cannon was born in Vancouver, British Columbia. She is the author of numerous short stories and six novels. Her short story Twilight Glyph won an Honourable Mention in the 2013 Canadian Tales of the Fantastic Short Story Contest. She has contributed articles on writing to the Canadian Writer's Guide and the professional writer's web sites, absolutewrite.com and suite101.com. She is author ...more
More about Deborah Cannon...

Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter (3 books)
  • The Virtual Pirate (Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter prequel)
  • The Jade Pirate (Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter #2)
Raven's Blood (Raven Chronicles book 4) The Jade Pirate (Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter #2) White Raven The Raven's Pool Ravenstone