Start by marking “A Deadly Silver Sea” as Want to Read:
A Deadly Silver Sea

A Deadly Silver Sea (Zack Chasteen #4)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The world’s most exclusive cruise ship, The Royal Star,has just set sail from Miami on its inaugural voyage. For the hundred or so well-heeled passengers, including Zack Chasteen and his wife, the itinerary is a secret and the week ahead promises to be the ultimate tropical sojourn…

But just an hour out of port, gunmen take over the Royal Star, killing most of the officers
Published December 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Deadly Silver Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deadly Silver Sea

#4 in the Zack Chasteen series. Zack Chasteen, ex-Miami Dolphin safety, served time in prison after being wrongfully convicted of counterfeiting. After winding up with some money in a subsequent off-shore adventure he did not find it a problem to avoid reporting it to the IRS.

Zack Chasteen and very pregnant wife Barbara are on the maiden voyage of a luxury cruise ship as part of her travel magazine job. The ship is hi-jacked by a group of automatic rifle toting crewmembers. Most of the hijackers
a great read. His earlier books in the series were heavier on the humor, while this one adds a heavier dose of the thriller.
Victoria Allman
I have become a big fan of Bob Morris and his Zach Chasteen mysteries. They are all fun and intriguing reads that capture the sense of place they are set. In A Deadly Silver Sea, Morris moves the action from one particular island to a cruise ship sailing the Caribbean Sea, and once again, Morris has captured the atmosphere perfectly. His descriptions are spot on and the "technical workings" of the ship are believable. As always, the characters are hilarious and well-rounded.
Both Zach and Morris
Fred Forbes
I purchased this paperback awhile ago to take along on a Caribbean cruise and started the book the first day out. When I got to the part where he describes sitting in the theatre of the boat for safety instructions, there I was, sitting in the theatre going through the safety instructions. When the book mentioned a Bulgarian waiter, I happened to look up and give a drink order to a waiter whose badge said he was from Bulgaria. Strange, but ties in to the sense of realism in the story. Realism, y ...more
E.R. Yatscoff
Good stuff. Zack Chasteen is courageous but not to the point of stupidity and he's got a good sense of humor. He's on a cruise ship for the rich and famous plying the Caribbean. Wrong place. Wrong time. Terrorists, thieves, backstabbers, and one very pregnant wife. It's a thriller I tore through.
I read a lot of thrillers and mysteries, but for some reason A Deadly Silver Sea really got my interest. Chapter One introduces the characters and set-up. By Chapter Two you're off to the races as hijackers take over the cruise ship Royal Star and it's quite a ride after that. As someone has already noted, A Deadly Silver Sea reads like Die Hard at Sea. Sure, there are improbabilities and Zack Chasteen doesn't make mistakes, but the story only slowed down twice for me. I guess Zack needed to cat ...more
The fourth Zack Chasteen book took a while for me to accept it as another outstanding book by Bob Morris. It took a while because it felt like nothing new. Terrorists on a cruise ship written by a Florida author? See "Buzz Cut" by James W Hall for an earlier superb variation on this story. Pregnant woman goes into labor during a terrorist ordeal? See "Vanished" by Tess Gerritsen for an earlier thriller that does likewise. Halfway through the book some major twists occur and the book takes on an ...more
Bob Harris
So so adventure on the high seas
Andrew Carlson
This is probably the best of the Zack Chasteen stories by Bob Morris. (I've read three so far.) While not literary by any sense, this is an entertaining book. As with all his novels, Morris weaves his tale to it's exciting and satisfying conclusion. Great book for an entertaining read.
#4 in the series veers more into thriller territory than the previous entries. Zack and his new (and pregnant) wife are taken hostage on a luxury cruise ship. Zack has to figure out how to save Barbara and the rest of the crew - and handles it with his usual style!
Essentially Die Hard on an ocean cruiser, but still an enjoyable entry in the Zack Chasteen series. Takes a different path than past books in the series, but ends up like a typical book in series. Fun, light and easy read.
Mar 02, 2011 Lora rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a thoroughly enjoyable novel. I found the plot riveting, the characters believable and varied. I will HAVE to read more books by this author. This is a great book on several levels. The story is never boring.
Brigitta {Percy Jackson Lover}
Really good. Mysterious characters, fast paced adventure, A Deadly Silver Sea has it all! Loved the story and the exciting adventure and mystery surrounding the hijacking of their boat.
Not the best in the series, but still a quick and easy read. A lot darker and voilent -- and less tropical -- than the first three books, and for that reason I didn't enjoy it as much.
Imagine Die Hard on a cruise ship and you've pretty much got this one pegged. I'm a sucker for these novels, but I was bummer our that Boggy didn't get into the picture until the tail end.
Mary Fitzsimons
I'd rate this about a 3.8. I enjoy this series and the main character Zack. Fast moving story but a bit far fetched at times but I guess that's why it's called fiction.
Lisa Crifasi
A little different for the "zach chasteen" series. Not as good as the others, but still enjoyable.
Like Die Hard, on a cruise ship, but the bad guy is Muslim instead of being Hans Gruber.
Not my usual pick for a book, but I found it entertaining without being annoying.
I like this series. This is the 4th one. Light reads.
Tammy Holmes
A bit unrealistic but still a good read.
fun cartoonish action
Ri marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Joda marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Carla marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • Dead Last (Thorn, #12)
  • The Silent Partner (Diagnosis Murder, #1)
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
  • Too Rich and Too Dead (Murder Packs a Suitcase, #2)
  • Blood Quantum (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #14)
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • Dead Silence (Doc Ford, #16)
  • Snake Eyes (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #8)
  • Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #4)
  • Rain Dogs
  • Radio Activity
  • Don't Die Under the Apple Tree
  • Wicked Break (Noah Braddock, #2)
Robert Morris is an American novelist who writes Caribbean themed mysteries. He is previously known as a columnist for several newspapers and magazines.

* Zack Chasteen
More about Bob Morris...

Zack Chasteen (5 books)
  • Bahamarama
  • Jamaica Me Dead
  • Bermuda Schwartz
  • Baja Florida
Bahamarama Jamaica Me Dead Bermuda Schwartz Assisted Loving: True Tales of Double Dating with My Dad Baja Florida