Start by marking “100 Notes on Violence” as Want to Read:
100 Notes on Violence

100 Notes on Violence

Poetry. The 2009 Sawtooth Poetry Prize, selected by Rae Armantrout, is Julie Carr's provocative 100 NOTES ON VIOLENCE. Carr obsessively researches intimate terrorism, looking everywhere from Whitman and Dickinson to lists of phobias and weapon-store catalogs for answers. This book is a dream-document both of light and innocence babies and the urge to protect them and of gi ...more
Published January 15th 2010 by Ahsahta Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Notes on Violence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Notes on Violence

Nicola
Jul 05, 2011 Nicola rated it liked it
Perhaps, I was too excited about this book. I heard Carr read in Tucson, and found these notes mesmerizing, like I was overhearing an uncanny frequency. And the cover is dynamite. I had to turn this book facedown so the drowned child wouldn't stare at me. But the notes themselves didn't accumulate for me.

It's as though Carr has shattered a mirror and then sought to pick up the fragmented pieces and re-construct the mirror in new, strange ways. This impossible endeavor suits its impossible subje
Megan
Sep 02, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing I had to keep walking away from it, incredible depths mined and terrible spaces opened.
khatch
Jan 20, 2010 khatch rated it liked it
i admire this book very much. it's just sometimes i am like ohfuckyes and sometimes i feel weird. i think that she fully intends this jarring as part of her process (that process is so clearly at work), but sometimes i dig like what, and sometimes i nope. the poems speak to each other so well (the repetition of the dickinson line, etc), i think it's a really successful project. maybe it's just i am dumb about project-y poetry books for no reason. and also, i have read so many new poetry books ab ...more
Melissa
Mar 08, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really liked this one; it was also disturbing to read. So disturbing I can't find a poem I want to copy down (what I usually do with a book of poems). Maybe I'm not liking it as much on this day in April, when it's lovely and warm out and it feels abusive to read about children being hurt. And yet, some of these poems are very powerful. Perhaps my response is simply a response to that power. I'm not sure.
Chris Schaeffer
Dec 20, 2012 Chris Schaeffer rated it really liked it
I'm into the model of the long poem as aphorism-essay, but this isn't my favorite example of the genre. It's still good though-- it's just that, reading it, I often found myself daydreaming about reading Juliana Spahr instead. Does that sound really mean? I hope not.
Marilyn
Nov 21, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
This is an important book for poets, and Carr is a writer to watch. She is smart, erudite, wise, thoughtful, careful, honest and gifted. It is, as Bin Ramke writes, "incendiary...."
Lisa Napolitan
Jun 03, 2014 Lisa Napolitan rated it really liked it
Beautiful and terrifying.
Craig
Aug 30, 2011 Craig rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this collection (or is it a long single poem?), but it just fell flat for me in a lot of ways.

I felt that it was strongest in it's most concrete, narrative moments, (such as the two prose poems that make up section 42), but it strayed into the scattered wordplay so often that it undermined it's own statement. I am not ignorant of the postmodern forces at work here... I just question if they work.

If this book means to speak out against all violence, there are some strang
Poets.org from the Academy of American Poets
Prepare for the 2010 Poets Forum in New York City (October 28-30) by reading Carr's newest book of poetry, and check out the Poets Forum 2010 bookshelf for the latest collections by each of the poets participating in the Poets Forum. Happy reading!
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Eric Hinkle
Eric Hinkle rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Leora
Leora rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
PEN Center USA
PEN Center USA rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2011
Ryan Gannon
Ryan Gannon rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Dean Tripp
Dean Tripp rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Huckleberry
Huckleberry rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Jaclyn Porfilio
Jaclyn Porfilio rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2010
Michael Friedman
Michael Friedman rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Brian Foley
Brian Foley rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2010
Dearwassily
Dearwassily rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Schizophrene
  • This Connection of Everyone With Lungs
  • Alphabet
  • Black Dog Songs
  • Commons
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 2: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Postwar to Millennium
  • The Lichtenberg Figures