Start by marking “Kindred in Death (In Death, #29)” as Want to Read:
Kindred in Death (In Death, #29)

Kindred in Death (In Death #29)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  14,817 Ratings  ·  681 Reviews

When the newly promoted captain of the NYPSD and his wife return a day early from their vacation, they are looking forward to spending time with their bright and vivacious sixteen-year-old daughter, who stayed behind.

Not even their worst nightmares could prepare them for the crime scene that awaits them instead. Deena has been brutally murdered in her bedroom, and her body
Published November 3rd 2009 by Berkley Books (first published 2009)

Sep 01, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The murder mystery in this book is pretty good. It's tough because a young teenaged girl is raped and murdered, but the investigation part of things is interesting and you feel pretty invested in wanting to catch the sick, evil bastard. But, it's tougher on Eve because she was a childhood victim of abuse and these kind of cases hit her hard. What is awesome is that Eve is actually growing as a character and is learning to deal with her past in healthier ways. Her husband, Roarke, has a lot to do ...more
Mar 13, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really like this book - has everything in it - a twisted serial killer, great police work and deductions, and some very good bantering!

I know there are people who read the ID series for the romance and skip over the "police" part - to those people, you are missing the whole idea of ID and if it's just romance that you want - find another series. J.D. Robb writes an excellent police procedural period.

The main killer in this book is one that you can not only hate but also hate his trainer!

Two thum
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read 30 September-4 October 2013

2nd read 3 July - 11 August 2016
Jan 27, 2010 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading the Eve Dallas series I couldn't get enough of them - I probably read 7 of them in four days. Now that I've got 15 or more under my belt I'm starting to feel like I'm reading the same material over and over.

I love Eve's character - how she is so not a girly girl, doesn't understand her girlfriends preoccupation with clothes, makeup, babies, etc. I love how Robb has put Eve in a futuristic time period with seriously "frosty" electronics, cars, weapons, security system
Nov 09, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out slow for me. I can't say for sure if it was the book or just a personal issue with me, but it did pick up after the first quarter or so.

I think one of the problems I'm having with the series lately is that Eve is mellowing out. She's still kick-ass, but she's losing her hard edge. That's ok, because I definitely want to see her grow and change. But it kind of takes something away from the stories, too.

The case was interesting and I enjoyed watching Eve puzzle through it. On
Kathy Davie
First read 8/11/2010 and again May 9, 2011 and October 2, 2015.

Twenty-ninth in the In Death romance-suspense series starring Eve Dallas and Roarke based in the mid-21st century in New York City.

This is about the fourth time I've read this book, heck, my fourth time through the series. I absolutely love Eve with all her strengths and vulnerabilities. I want my own Roarke. Sure, he's probably the richest man in the universe, but I love that wicked sense of humor, his sensitivity about people and
Feb 28, 2016 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two things: These stories tend to end immediately after the case is closed. But sometimes I'd like to know some of the details that happen after the case is closed. Like, did the victim's father go back to work or did he leave the police force after everything settled? It's nothing important, but I'm still curious.

Second thing: There is no Sundown, Alabama located south of Mobile, Alabama. There ain't much below Mobile but the Gulf of Mexico. As this story is decades in the future, it's entirely
Venus Blancia
This is one difficult read for me since my loads of work had me juggling over from physical book to audio book. I am fascinated with Susan Erickson's narration that I have to imitate her. lol. Peabody sounds weird and nasal. I love Roarke's Irish feel. Well, I have a lot of expectations here and I was all excited of Jamie but I think it was still all lacking for his character development. I found that Eve here was a little less kickass so much of the murder. I found the plot like JD writing this ...more
Mrs. Badass
Nov 04, 2009 Mrs. Badass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Fans, J.D Robb Fans,
Shelves: nov-09-releases
Eve Dallas is back in a horrific way. Searching for the killer of a sixteen year old Cop's daughter leads Eve and her team on a journey where the clues are hidden and the reasons obscure. J.D Robb Delivers as usual. Despite a few lovable characters not really present (Mavis, Mcnabb, even Charles and Louise despite it being their wedding) The book was Solid. The case was interesting, but it was horrible. Like a bad car wreck, you go by slowly straining trying to see, even tho you don't want to.
Sep 18, 2014 Caro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death, own
This one is great too. I liked the rip-down power she has during dressing-downs. Tough cases with the best and this one like the others, leaves you reading by the fingertips. Of course there was everything in this book, as with the others. I have read this book before and will read it again. (my favortie series and books) Humor, suspense, emotions, and some serious magolicous steaminess and friends/family. Enjoy Bunches
This is the one where Eve is the bridesmaid for Dr. Louise and Charles, the ex-LC. Meanwhile the daughter of a cop is viciously murdered by someone getting revenge for something Dallas has to figure out. I felt like I had already read the first part of the story, but the ending felt totally new, so I have no clue whether this is the first or second reading of this book. But now I have it listed so I know I've read it. It's good.
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

I can't BELIEVE it's been nearly a year since my last "visit" with Eve, Roarke, and the rest of the gang!! I can't even express how much I missed them :) The only thing I love more than this series is listening to Susan Ericksen bring the characters to life in the audiobooks. Kindred in Death is yet another fantastic addition to the In Death series.
Nov 11, 2009 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to be so tepid about J.D. Robb -- she's still head and shoulders above so many writers. But this fell a little flat for me: wanted more Roarke/Eve conflict and/or emotion ... more about the other stock characters ... more wedding. I feel as if I could totally have bypassed reading it and it wouldn't hurt my enjoyment of the whole series.
Mar 11, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I don't know how it is possible after so many books in the series to feel exactly like I was feeling when I read the first book, but I am glad for it!

Every time I am reading a book from this series is both a pleasant and unpleasant experience. Pleasant because this is one of the best series I’ve ever read, with great characters and amazingly well-written. Unpleasant because murder is exactly that. And when it has to do with a murder-rape case of a sixteen years old girl? No words to describe it.
6 aydır seriden kitap okumamış bünyeme iyi gelen bir kitap herzamanki gibi:)

Yasadışı madde bölümünün başına yeni terfi etmiş olan bir polisin 16 yaşındaki kızı kendi evlerinde tecavüz edilip öldürülmüş olarak bulunuyor. Yüzbaşı aynı zamanda Whitney'inde arkadaşı ve özellikle davaya Eve bakması için çağrılıyor böylece Roarke ile planladıkları pazar günleri mahvoluyor ama cinayet beklemiyor tabiiki:) Roarkecim de herzamanki gibin çok anlayışlı çoook..

Polis kızı cinayeti olunca daha bi atraksiyonlu
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
One of the best Eve Dallas novels I've read in a long time. JD Robb is starting to get her wind back. For a while, some of her books were just treading water - but between this one and the one before it's obvious she's still in love with this world.

The wedding storyline was done very nicely and we saw a side of Eve we rarely see. Usually when she interacts with her friends it was all one-way. It always seemed she took more than she gave in those relationships. But in this novel, her relationshi
Aug 01, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know a book is good when on the second reading it still keeps you up until 4:00 am. Of course, it's been more than five years since I read it the first time, but it still sucked me in. Sure, as I read, I remembered, but still didn't remember what was coming until almost the end.

Some of the In Death books are as much about the relationships of the main characters as they are about the mystery. But this one was all about the crime to be solved. It was a horrific one and although Eve h
Nov 21, 2009 Brisbella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I found this very disappointing, full of errors and anomalies. After the great characters and action of the previous this one was very flat, and if I didn't know better, I think someone else had a hand in writing it. To me, a devoted fan, it just doesn't read like a JD Robb book. For the first time in an In Death book there is the term "unsub" a rather unpleasant abbreviation often used in books by other crime writers. And LT is used to refer to Eve Dallas, again for the first time. I can only h ...more
Oct 20, 2016 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brutal book, and Eve has to deal with one of her triggers here repeatedly, trying to catch a serial killer. As usual, top-notch writing , fantastic investigation, and I completely inhaled this book. Recommended.

* * *

Очень жестокая книга, и Ив здесь приходится работать с одним из триггеров её детских травм, пока она следует по пятам серийного убийцы. Как обычно, замечательно написано, фантастическое напряжённое расследование. Я просто проглотила эту книгу на одном дыхании.
Dec 21, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad deaths. More so than others. Liked the patterns and how she uncovers the impossible mystery. Roarke's support always makes me envious. Preparing for Louise wedding took edge off too. Great book great series.
This was not one of my favourite In-Death's, maybe because I have a 16 year old and the violent rape and murder of the 16 year old girl didn't sit well with me. This one just didn't have the usual Eve & Roarke sparkle either. Anyway, on to Fantasy in Death!
May 21, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I find with J.D. Robb books that if she adds a real connection to a case to Eve or Rourke it always, always works. This is another winner. Susan Ericksen does it again with her narration.
Mar 05, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's another homicide that Dallas and Peabody are called to but this time it hits real close to home. Peabody actually knows the victim and Dallas takes it hard because the victim is a teenage girl. It's a brutal scene they find, made worse because the parents are the ones who come home to find their child murdered. The parts regarding the teenager's death were very hard for me to read. Anytime it's a kid it's just really hard reading. The emotions Dallas, Peabody and the whole gang show makes t ...more
Gail Cooke
Dec 10, 2009 Gail Cooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

One might think that with the 39th offering in a series an author might be slowing down - quite the opposite is true with J. D. Robb who ratchets up the suspense, scariness, and sex in KINDRED IN DEATH. For this reader it's the best Eve Dallas tale yet.
Set in 2060 with NYC as the primary backdrop we find our erstwhile police lieutenant and husband Roarke enjoying a leisurely Sunday, and planning a day in the Caymans. (Just one more perk for being married to a handsome over the top wealthy Irish
First Sentence: She’d died and gone to heaven.

Denna MacMasters, the 16-year-old daughter of police captain Jonah MacMasters has been raped and murdered in her own bedroom while her parents were away. Lt. Eve Dallas has been specifically asked to lead the investigation. With the help of her husband, Roark, and his protégé, Jamie Lingstrom, suspicions arise Deena was not the killer’s first victim; nor will she be his last.

In some ways, I liked this book better than others of the series as it was m
This one actually starts off with a peaceful note. Eve and Roarke are enjoying a three day holiday weekend which serves as the anniversary of the end of the Urban Wars. Eve's first jolt to reality isn't a case, it's the realization that Louise and Charles' wedding is a week away and she has mysterious matron of honor duties to perform.

But, soon enough crime interrupts this second amusing idle. Another crime close to the vest - after Morris' lady love in the last book - the daughter of an Illegal
May 10, 2010 Cara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was badly in need of a line edit, which was a distraction to say the least. Can the Robb/Roberts juggernaut slow down a little, please, and focus on quality? We'll wait. Really.

Some other reviews have criticized the repeated references to Eve's past trauma. While it's true this is the umpty-umpth book in the series (I've seen several different numbers attributed to it in various reviews, and I'm not taking the time to count myself), it should also be remembered that these however-many
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
I've still been pleased as punch by this series, despite being 30 books into it now.

[If you've stumbled onto this review but haven't read previous books in the series, I highly recommend picking up Naked in Death - book 1 - and continuing through the series until you get here. Not only is the series worth it, and the characters still fun and fresh and interesting, but you won't enjoy and recognize the character growth without the previous installments in the series.]

I'm still not the slightest
Hightlights from the book: *This is book #29 so there will be spoilers*
-A new captain of the NYPSD comes back from a short celebrate/vacation to find her daughter raped and dead. With the system in tack and the time discs wiped.
-the new captain request Eve to take the case.
-the father had help in the capture of the killer.
-Eve have some issues thanks to type of case it is and it shows sometime. However she doesn't really have the normal nightmares that in the past she would get.
-a revenge stor
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Jan) Why is it with some series (cough...Stephanie Plum...cough) the same ol', same ol' becomes formulaic and tired and in others it really works? I can't believe this is the 29th In Death book and I still love them! I think the reason it works here is because while you see growth and change in both Eve and Roarke as well as the supporting cast, the essense of what makes Eve so cool and Roarke so delicious has not changed. I thought this mystery, while violent and depressing, was really well do ...more
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Dark Light (Ghost Hunters, #5)
  • Hades
  • Silent Scream (Romantic Suspense, #11; Minneapolis, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)
  • Only Survivors Tell Tales
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Now You See Her
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“Roarke: You'd enjoy flying more if you'd learn the controls.

Eve: I'd rather pretend I'm on the ground.

Roarke: And how many vehicles have you wrecked, had blown up, or destroyed in the last, oh, two years?

Eve: Think about that, then imagine it happening when I'm at the wheel at thirty thousand feet.

Roarke: Good point. I'll do the flying.”
“Eve: "She completely eye-fucked you." Roarke: "I know. I feel so cheap and used." Eve: "Shit. You got off on it. Men always do." Roarke: "True enough, which is why we're so often cheap and used.” 20 likes