Start by marking “When Joy Came to Stay” as Want to Read:
When Joy Came to Stay

When Joy Came to Stay

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  2,311 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Maggie Stovall is trapped inside a person she’s spent years carefully crafting. Now the truth about who she is—and what she’s done—is bursting to the surface and sending Maggie into a spiral of despair. Will she walk away from everything, or can Maggie allow God to take her to a place of ultimate honesty—before it’s too late?

Maggie Stovall.

One of the golden people. She h
Published September 30th 2009 by Multnomah Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about When Joy Came to Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Joy Came to Stay

Kathryn
Karen
Jun 18, 2009 Karen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
As an adoptive and foster parent (who has stuggled with depression) I thought this book would be very relative to me. Unfortunately, it was unrealistic on every level. It was truly one of the worst books I have ever read. The self-condemnation the main character experienced was so overblown for the sin she committed. The ongoing internal thoughts were repetitive, and the book was geneally preachy. Even so, maybe the foster/adoptive portrayals could have been on target. They weren't. Sorry Karen ...more
Grace
Sep 11, 2011 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any adult
Shelves: karen-kingsbury
A very good book but keep in mind this is fiction and though it deals with depression and child abuse it is not meant to counsel anyone going through such.

I love Karen's books and the way her characters come alive although I must warn you this is a graphic novel and can be upsetting.

Maggie fell in love and due to circumstances beyond her control was separated from the guy (Ben) she loved for a long time. During this time Maggie hung out with the wrong crowd and did things that she never thought
Jen
Amanda Joy Is a seven year old girl who knows that Jesus loves her and will protect her. She knows that her real mother is out there somewhere.
Maggie Stovall is the perfect suburban Christian wife, but lately she seemed very distracted and unable to concentrate. She feels she is falling into the shadows of evil.
Ben and Maggie have been married for seven years and have been unsuccessful at having children. Instead the couple have become foster parents.

This story is a wonderful reminder to Christ
Andrea
This is a powerful book about love, loss, faith, forgiveness, depression, adoption...well, this book covers just about everything.
I really had a hard time putting it down because I really loved the characters and wanted to know what happened to them.
This book, while fiction, makes some important points that really made me think about secrets in relationships, motivation, and forgiveness.
Karen Kingsbury is one of my favorite authors! I love that her main characters are Christian people who are tr
Lola4
This book is really poor. The portrayal of the kid is so unrealistic--Come on, an abused foster kid who's an absolute angel without any acting out or attachment issues. What planet does she live on? For soap opera fanatics only. I have since read other Kingsbury books that were much better, so I think this may have been an early book and she's improved with age. I would definitely consider this one among the worst-written Kingsbury books.
Amy Wykes
This book was excellent as are all of Kingsbury's books. It was a more difficult read because of the content. This is a book that addresses the issue of child abuse and not for the faint of heart. It probably isn't as realistic as it could be because very few real stories end as well as this one did. It was a gripping read and I would highly recommend it.
Anita
The story centers around the theme of depression. The book opens with the central character wrestling with the misconception that Christians (which is what she is) are not supposed to get depressed, for it draws the extension that one's faith is weak, or that one is not a good enough believer, or that one is a 'bad person'.

Being trapped in the darkness of one's mind is still predominantly perceived as a taboo subject and a shameful admission. So the victims suffer quietly behind masks, some real
KelliAnn Christensen
This book was so good that I found myself making excuses to read it (like while I was brushing my teeth). I sobbed through the last couple chapters and kept having to go blow my nose. It is a Christian-themed book (not LDS, but it really almost could have been) and dealt with some very sensitive issues quite beautifully. One of the characters deals with some major depression, and the book makes the important points that depression is not necessarily an indication of a lack of spiritual faith and ...more
Dianna
This book came at an interesting time in my life... I currently know someone going through depression and some of what Karen writes are questions that my friend has asked me before. I NEVER write in my books dunno why just never had and I wrote in this one to send it to my friend that is in need of the words she wrote. I was also interesing how people can use children and the out come of that but also it drives home why I want to be a laywer in family law so many times the little ones don't get ...more
Kristine
The main theme of this novel is the consequences suffered emotionally and relationally due to having a child and giving her up for adoption when she really wanted to keep her. Maggie never told her husband because she thought he wouldn't marry her if he knew she wasn't a virgin. Over the 7 years of their marriage, Maggie becomes depressed and starts blaming her husband Ben for her decision to give up her precious daughter. When Maggie checks herself into a Psychiatric Hospital, Ben and Maggie mu ...more
Maggie
I don't read a lot of Christian fiction outside of books written by LDS authors, but I did enjoy this one. I read it in about 3 days. One that I couldn't hardly put down. I'm sure that the topics of depression and child abuse are very difficult to write about and portray. With hearing on the news constantly about children who are abused and do not end up in a happy family, I was glad to see this one turn out with a happy ending. It is, after all, just a book.
Marsha
Dec 30, 2011 Marsha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marsha by: Shannon Ritchie
Book about Maggie and Ben and their marriage...Maggie checks herself into a psychiatric hospital to deal with the lies and deception of her 8 year marriage while Ben goes back into her past and learns some things about himself as well. As a birthmother, I was not hugely crazy about the way adoption was portrayed in this book...but that is a personal opinion.
Sondra
Another Kingsbury "tear-jerker" for me -- but what a precious story of marital as well as parental love. Even though the subject matter of the book deals with the issue of depression, Kingsbury's words and thoughts are so sensitive towards this issue -- and God's love and words are central to the story line. How very "kingsbury"!
M.
What a delve into the emotions of wife, husband and child. A look at the result of choices made and how that choice impacts not only the person choosing but others. Like a pebble thrown into water the waves radiate outward. Absolutely an emotion grabber. Very true to life also.
Carol C
I don't really read much Christian fiction. While this was an enjoyable and satisfying story, I was troubled by the fact that every non-Christian character in the book was totally devoid of morals. The plotline was extremely predictable.
Nicole
Good story. Predictable, but it was alright. Am really happy with Kingsbury's portrayal of how a Christian woman can suffer from depression just as anyone else can. Nice to read and be encouraged by a young child's faith :)
Stephy
I really enjoyed this book.
Which surprised me as I'm not a religious person at all.
but this book was very well written and I can say it did bring me to tears many times. Especially the last few chapters.
Jodi
This was a very heart-warming story in the author's classic, Christian style. Parts of it were rather unrealistic, but still a good story with a bit of suspense near the end that kept me up late reading.
Jodi
Natalia
It was really good! Just like a lot of her other books... I think its good that everything was figured out by the end, except I wanna know what happened to Amanda's actual father...
I really enjoyed this book. It was really hard to put down. It hit some hard depression issues but I think Kingsbury did a great job with them. I would recommend this book.
Lisa
Read this with a box of tissues. This book made we want to start reading again. The heart wrenching story would touch any heart and soul.
Grace
I have never suffered from depression, but this lets you know somewhat of what it may feel like and how alone the person feels.
Janet
This was my first Karen Kingsbury book. I did not care for it. I found it preachy. Not sure if I will try the author again.
Kristina
This was a good read by Karen Kingsbury. It deals with a story about depression.
Carol
The moral of the story: no matter how strong your faith or how hard you work at being a good Christian sometimes you need help with depression, or other mental challenges. And the other part of the moral is that dishonesty can be the root cause of the problem. I enjoyed the story and how the characters worked through their problems and were able to find solutions and happiness. The only negative about the story is that it all happened really quickly - a problem that had been festering for 8 year ...more
Teri
A great book about dealing with depresion!
Kara Ellerbee
Loved this book. Have some tissues.
Melinda
Good but a bit unbelievable.
  • Covenant Child: A Story of Promises Kept
  • The Marriage Wish
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
  • Sophie's Heart
  • The Debt
  • Dana's Valley
  • The Pattern of Her Heart (Lights of Lowell, #3)
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • The Redemption of Sarah Cain
FROM AUTHOR'S WEBSITE:

USA Today and New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury is America’s #1 inspirational novelist. There are more than 15 million copies of her award-winning books in print, including several million copies sold in the past year. Karen has written more than 40 novels, ten of which have hit #1 on national lists.

Karen has a true love for her readers, and she has nearly 1
More about Karen Kingsbury...
Redemption (Redemption, #1) Even Now (Lost Love Series, #1) Remember (Redemption, #2) One Tuesday Morning (9/11 Series, #1) Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)