Start by marking “Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)” as Want to Read:
Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)

Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #6)

In his sixth adventure, Humphrey heads off for the great outdoors. When Humphrey hears that school is ending, he panics. School ends? What?s a classroom hamster to do if he?s not in school? But as it turns out, there?s something thrilling in store for Humphrey and Og the frog: going to Camp Happy Hollow with Ms. Mac and lots of the kids from Room 26! Camper Humphrey meets ...more
Published February 4th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published November 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Summer According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer According to Humphrey

Irene
Sep 30, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
Shelves: children
I dare say this is my favorite book in the series so far.

It's summer, and Humphrey and Og find themselves at Camp Happy Hollow. (It was especially fun reading this book to the kids because their school is named Happy Hollow, too!) Some of the counselors and campers are familiar faces from Longfellow School, but there are plenty of new faces as well. I particularly liked reading about Humphrey's new friend Goldenrod!

With the new camp setting, this book has a lot of opportunities for all kinds o
Sarah Beneke
May 25, 2015 Sarah Beneke rated it really liked it
Shelves: jake
Another great story with a favorite character--Humphrey! My son loved it and as he says after all the others we finished, "That was his favorite." I did like this one but it wasn't my favorite - not sure if it didn't contain all the same characters from school (Humphrey goes to summer camp) or what. We are both anxious to read the next one to see if Humphrey goes back to Mrs. Brisbane's class and who the new students will be.
Sam T
Feb 25, 2015 Sam T rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I know a lot of the time I say I like this book, this book was different. I did not like this book at all, I loved it!
In this book Humphrey (the hamster) goes to camp happy hollow with Ms.Mac, who was a substitute before Mrs. Brisbane came to be the teacher, this book happened to be very similar to my Camp Stein that I go to in the summer! ( it was a little different)
I recommend this to all kids, that love hamsters, frogs( Og is Humphrey's friend), outdoor camps, and sum
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This was Ryan's free book from the Barnes and Noble summer reading program. As it turns out, it's the 6th in the series, but stands alone nicely. A perfect read-aloud for the animal-obsessed Ryan...it's well-written, engaging, the kid characters and their dilemmas ring true, and Humphrey is both observant and endearing, but never gets too cutesy or annoying, as the hamster narrator. We'll be seeking out the first book (The World According to Humphrey) very soon.
Rae Stoltenkamp
Sep 11, 2016 Rae Stoltenkamp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of a stash of books given to me by my delightfully discerning student Ari. And yet again she’s spot on. I thoroughly enjoyed this tale told from the perspective of a hamster called Humphrey who is a classroom pet at an American school. It’s a great way to find out what it’s like in a holiday camp as Humphrey is good at noticing detail. He’s also terrific at giving titbits of extremely useful advice. So this book gets a big thumbs up from me and I recommend it for any children aged 6 ...more
Brianna
Dec 02, 2013 Brianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Childhood favourites <3

HUMPHREY I LOVE YOU
Mehsi
Yay, my library #3 finally had a part of this series that I didn't read yet. 3.5 stars.

While this was a fun book, it also had some moments that I didn't entirely like. There were at least 2 characters who I didn't like and they played quite a role in this book, and while they do have a change of heart near the end, I felt it was a bit too convenient for them to change.

But let me talk about the good stuff first. I loved, adored and was so happy that this book took place outside of school. Instead
Dolly
Dec 14, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is another fun story in the Humprhey series by Betty G. Birney. I introduced my oldest to these books when I brought the first one home from England as a present. She has really taken to these books and I am so grateful, since she's read virtually nothing but fairy books for the last two years. We both read these books separately and then discuss the plots and themes. These books involve a class of third graders and the stories have a lot of moral lessons that are very age appropriate for c ...more
Elaine
Nov 07, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Another great Humphrey story. I liked that this one was the first one in a different setting (all the rest have been the same classroom, with mostly the same kids). This one is at a summer camp and it was a real 'feel-good' kind of book, like all the others. There wasn't any deep issue addressed this time, but just some issues with kids being unhappy at camp for one reason or another, and overcoming those issues. This is a sleep-away camp, and these kids just finished 3rd grade. Maybe it's just ...more
Disan
Jun 28, 2015 Disan rated it really liked it
Poor Humphrey! How come school has to end? Where will he and his pal Og the Frog go? Surely they won't be left in Room 26 for the summer!
Of course, not. In this thoroughly enjoyable story, Humphrey and his friends have a marvelous adventure at summer camp. It brought back memories of my summers at camp. A lot of fun!
Dolores
Mar 10, 2016 Dolores rated it it was amazing
I'm so sad! The school year is over and our friends in room 26 are moving on. But Humphrey and Og get to spend a little more time with a few of their friends at Summer Camp in this entry in one of my favorite series in this entry. As wonderful as all the rest. Boy, I sure hope it won't be the last!
Juliette Molina
Oct 15, 2014 Juliette Molina rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and UNSQEAKABLEY good book, with lots of fun words to try to say! It truly shows you that from a class hamsters point of view summer can be VERY confusing! I loved this book, it makes me really want to be Humphrey. This golden, handsome hamster truly has loads of personality!
mandyfujita
Dec 30, 2012 mandyfujita rated it really liked it
I've read all the Humphrey books that Betty G Birney has written so far and by far this was the best story. Humphrey is the room 26's pet hamster who shares the title with a green frog named Og. When the last day of school ends, Ms Mac who was the substitute teacher covering for Mrs. Brisbane, comes and takes Humphrey and Og on another adventure. During the summer, they will be in the Nature Center at Camp Happy Hollow. Ms Mac and some other employees of the school are counselors at this camp. ...more
Shannon
Jul 04, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
My 8 year old (going inro third grade) gives this 4 stars. She has really enjoyed the Humphrey series. Her review "I enjoyed this book because it was fun to hear what he did over the summer since the other books take place during the school year."
Judy Garver
This was a great book. Shared it with my six year old granddaughter who is now enjoying "chapter" books. We love animal stories.
Allie
Dec 13, 2012 Allie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love this book because I love animals. Summer vacation is here. Humphrey heard Mrs. Brisbane saying the school is ending. Humphrey thought no more school for ever and Og and himself will need to go back to the pet shop they came from. He will miss his friends.... But instead, Mrs. Brisbane planned something thrilling for them, including the students. They are going to camp together!! But Humphrey is thinking, is camp too wild for him? But it turns out camp is just fine for him. He even met new ...more
Mary-Jane
Oct 31, 2013 Mary-Jane rated it it was ok

Humphrey, the class hamster, spends the summer at camp (with co-class pet Og the Frog). He reports on the events that occur. There are regular summer camp events that go on, but not one big dramatic build up. As an adult, I found the storyline slow and not especially exciting.

The book is more about character development than action. Humphrey talks about how a boy who did not like camp at the start changes to like camp at the end. Also, a cabin that relied on one star athlete learns to work toge
Henry Grant
May 29, 2014 Henry Grant rated it it was amazing
Cool. Like the way it is as if Humphrey Dumpty wrote it from his perspective. Must read book.

YOUR A GENIUS HUMPHREY
Amy
Apr 21, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
There were to many boring parts of the story. Kids didn't remain interested the whole time.
Meghan
Oct 02, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute for a young kids book
Sophie V
Mar 22, 2016 Sophie V rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun book to read. I hope to start reading the next book. Humphrey is such an amazing character and has a great personality. I do not think I have ever read a book about a hamster.
Emma Rice
Nov 04, 2014 Emma Rice rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was a really good book because it told the story from a hamsters point of view. I cant wait to read the other books about Humphrey!
Lew
Feb 05, 2012 Lew rated it it was amazing
Nice chapter book to read to a child. Thankfully, the story does not depict poor behavior for children to emulate. It does deal with some child issues from a sympathetic stand point and offers some good problem solving initiatives and examples a child could follow. The chapters are not too long, and also often having stopping points along the way. Perfect for night tie reading!
Liz
Aug 27, 2016 Liz rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Listened to this with the boys in the car. They are tickled by the antics of Humphrey, the classroom hamster. And, while predictable, I think the books are well-done and impart good messages for kids. This one follows Humphrey as he goes to summer camp with some of the teachers and kids from his school.
Juliette
May 02, 2014 Juliette rated it really liked it
My son really loves these books. We finished this one tonight and he was sad. Hopefully when we get through them, he'll read them all again on his own.
Fun Humphrey, always thinking of his friends and finding ways to help.
Julianna S
Oct 21, 2012 Julianna S rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
I think this book is good because Humphrey gets to go outdoors for the first time and he gets to go to camp. His camp is called Camp Happy Hollows. What I like about Summer According to Humphrey is the new friends Humphrey makes--both people and a mouse. It is as good as the other Humphrey books.
Christina
Jul 05, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-daniel
My kids love this cute little series about a classroom pet hamster and his adventures. In this book, he attends summer camp with his fellow classroom pet the frog and learns all about life at camp. Very cute (for the kids, I don't find it as interesting!)
Kristine
Jun 04, 2012 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is a good book for anyone from 2nd-4th grades. It has some repetition which children learn and these are the ages kids start to learn and go to camps. This is a very fun one with several different lesson plans that could be based around this.
Mandy
Jul 13, 2011 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Summary:
Humphrey worried what would happen to him and his best friend Og at the end of the schoolyear. But they are well taken care of as guests at a summer camp!

Just like with Humphrey's other adventures, I LOVED-LOVED-LOVED this book!
  • Harry the Homeless Puppy
  • Andrew Lost In the Kitchen (Andrew Lost, #3)
  • My Life as a Joke (My Life, #4)
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
  • Chewy And Chica (The Puppy Place Special Edition)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • My Dog Is Better Than Your Dog (Crimebiters! #1)
  • A Crazy Day With Cobras (Magic Tree House, #45)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • The Swamp Robber (Sugar Creek Gang, #1)
  • Spy Cat
  • Belle the Birthday Fairy
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • Insect Invaders (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #11)
  • The Night I Flunked My Field Trip
119740

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...

According to Humphrey (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)
  • Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
  • Imagination According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #11)

“NOTE TO SELF: Humans tend to pop up where you least expect them-and some of them have whistles.” 0 likes