Start by marking “Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)” as Want to Read:
Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)

Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #6)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In his sixth adventure, Humphrey heads off for the great outdoors. When Humphrey hears that school is ending, he panics. School ends? What?s a classroom hamster to do if he?s not in school? But as it turns out, there?s something thrilling in store for Humphrey and Og the frog: going to Camp Happy Hollow with Ms. Mac and lots of the kids from Room 26! Camper Humphrey meets ...more
Published February 4th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published November 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Summer According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer According to Humphrey

Irene
Sep 30, 2014 Irene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
Shelves: children
I dare say this is my favorite book in the series so far.

It's summer, and Humphrey and Og find themselves at Camp Happy Hollow. (It was especially fun reading this book to the kids because their school is named Happy Hollow, too!) Some of the counselors and campers are familiar faces from Longfellow School, but there are plenty of new faces as well. I particularly liked reading about Humphrey's new friend Goldenrod!

With the new camp setting, this book has a lot of opportunities for all kinds o
Sam T
This book was fantastic! I know a lot of the time I say I like this book, this book was different. I did not like this book at all, I loved it!
In this book Humphrey (the hamster) goes to camp happy hollow with Ms.Mac, who was a substitute before Mrs. Brisbane came to be the teacher, this book happened to be very similar to my Camp Stein that I go to in the summer! ( it was a little different)
I recommend this to all kids, that love hamsters, frogs( Og is Humphrey's friend), outdoor camps, and sum
Stephanie
This was Ryan's free book from the Barnes and Noble summer reading program. As it turns out, it's the 6th in the series, but stands alone nicely. A perfect read-aloud for the animal-obsessed Ryan...it's well-written, engaging, the kid characters and their dilemmas ring true, and Humphrey is both observant and endearing, but never gets too cutesy or annoying, as the hamster narrator. We'll be seeking out the first book (The World According to Humphrey) very soon.
Brianna
Childhood favourites <3

HUMPHREY I LOVE YOU
Dolly
Dec 14, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is another fun story in the Humprhey series by Betty G. Birney. I introduced my oldest to these books when I brought the first one home from England as a present. She has really taken to these books and I am so grateful, since she's read virtually nothing but fairy books for the last two years. We both read these books separately and then discuss the plots and themes. These books involve a class of third graders and the stories have a lot of moral lessons that are very age appropriate for c ...more
Elaine
Another great Humphrey story. I liked that this one was the first one in a different setting (all the rest have been the same classroom, with mostly the same kids). This one is at a summer camp and it was a real 'feel-good' kind of book, like all the others. There wasn't any deep issue addressed this time, but just some issues with kids being unhappy at camp for one reason or another, and overcoming those issues. This is a sleep-away camp, and these kids just finished 3rd grade. Maybe it's just ...more
Juliette Molina
This is a fun and UNSQEAKABLEY good book, with lots of fun words to try to say! It truly shows you that from a class hamsters point of view summer can be VERY confusing! I loved this book, it makes me really want to be Humphrey. This golden, handsome hamster truly has loads of personality!
mandyfujita
I've read all the Humphrey books that Betty G Birney has written so far and by far this was the best story. Humphrey is the room 26's pet hamster who shares the title with a green frog named Og. When the last day of school ends, Ms Mac who was the substitute teacher covering for Mrs. Brisbane, comes and takes Humphrey and Og on another adventure. During the summer, they will be in the Nature Center at Camp Happy Hollow. Ms Mac and some other employees of the school are counselors at this camp. ...more
Allie
I love this book because I love animals. Summer vacation is here. Humphrey heard Mrs. Brisbane saying the school is ending. Humphrey thought no more school for ever and Og and himself will need to go back to the pet shop they came from. He will miss his friends.... But instead, Mrs. Brisbane planned something thrilling for them, including the students. They are going to camp together!! But Humphrey is thinking, is camp too wild for him? But it turns out camp is just fine for him. He even met new ...more
Mary-Jane

Humphrey, the class hamster, spends the summer at camp (with co-class pet Og the Frog). He reports on the events that occur. There are regular summer camp events that go on, but not one big dramatic build up. As an adult, I found the storyline slow and not especially exciting.

The book is more about character development than action. Humphrey talks about how a boy who did not like camp at the start changes to like camp at the end. Also, a cabin that relied on one star athlete learns to work toge
Henry Grant
Cool. Like the way it is as if Humphrey Dumpty wrote it from his perspective. Must read book.

YOUR A GENIUS HUMPHREY
Amy
There were to many boring parts of the story. Kids didn't remain interested the whole time.
Meghan
cute for a young kids book
Emma Rice
I thought that this book was a really good book because it told the story from a hamsters point of view. I cant wait to read the other books about Humphrey!
Lew
Nice chapter book to read to a child. Thankfully, the story does not depict poor behavior for children to emulate. It does deal with some child issues from a sympathetic stand point and offers some good problem solving initiatives and examples a child could follow. The chapters are not too long, and also often having stopping points along the way. Perfect for night tie reading!
Juliette
My son really loves these books. We finished this one tonight and he was sad. Hopefully when we get through them, he'll read them all again on his own.
Fun Humphrey, always thinking of his friends and finding ways to help.
Julianna S
I think this book is good because Humphrey gets to go outdoors for the first time and he gets to go to camp. His camp is called Camp Happy Hollows. What I like about Summer According to Humphrey is the new friends Humphrey makes--both people and a mouse. It is as good as the other Humphrey books.
Christina
My kids love this cute little series about a classroom pet hamster and his adventures. In this book, he attends summer camp with his fellow classroom pet the frog and learns all about life at camp. Very cute (for the kids, I don't find it as interesting!)
Kristine
This is a good book for anyone from 2nd-4th grades. It has some repetition which children learn and these are the ages kids start to learn and go to camps. This is a very fun one with several different lesson plans that could be based around this.
Mandy
Summary:
Humphrey worried what would happen to him and his best friend Og at the end of the schoolyear. But they are well taken care of as guests at a summer camp!

Just like with Humphrey's other adventures, I LOVED-LOVED-LOVED this book!
Marian
Aug 07, 2010 Marian added it
Shelves: 2010, readit, with-widget
I love Humphrey and while I never went to summer camp, it was nice to go with my favorite fictional hamster. I especially loved the way Og and Humphrey seemed to bond this go round.
Jnase1
Cute book. Would make a good read aloud for younger grades. Does drag a bit, but it seems like all of the Humphrey books do. Still a good read for third grade and under.
Val Donnell
Main character is a hamster who helps people out when they need it. Best friend is a frog. Great for kids grades 2nd - 5th. Great book to read aloud!
Nicole
This was the first in the Humphrey series that I read to my daughter. We both really enjoyed and it and look forward to reading the rest in the series.
Susan
This book would be ideal for grades 2 -5. Girls and boys alike would love this book because of Humphrey, the hamster's, funny adventures as a classroom pet.
Angie
Cute. In this one Humphrey gets to attend summer camp. I like how some of his ideas for helping kids to make friends really could work.
Pyper at Reading Lark
Abby & I listened to this in the car. It was cute and entertaining. Perfect for elementary school!
Aly
Anna Carmel
Really good book, I love how Humphrey is so confused when Mrs.Brisbane says school is ending
Nihal Dayal
  • Harry the Homeless Puppy
  • A Crazy Day With Cobras (Magic Tree House, #45)
  • Guinea Dog (Guinea Dog, #1)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Chewy And Chica (The Puppy Place Special Edition)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Spy Cat
  • Amazing Magnetism (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #12)
  • The Mount Rushmore Calamity (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #1)
  • Tasha the Tap Dance Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Dance Fairies, #4)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • Insect Invaders (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #11)
  • Mousenet
  • The Amazing Mexican Secret (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #5)
  • Nanny Piggins and the Wicked Plan
  • The Secret Zoo: Traps and Specters (The Secret Zoo, #4)
  • The African Safari Discovery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #6)
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
119740

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...

According to Humphrey (10 books)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)
  • Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1) The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2) Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4) Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)