Start by marking “4400: Promises Broken” as Want to Read:
4400: Promises Broken

4400: Promises Broken (The 4400 #4)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  269 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
4400 taken, 4400 returned. All were given startling new abilities. Now, if you are willing to risk it all, you too can be extraordinary. Is this what the future intended to ensure the survival of the human race?

Promicin -- which kills half of those who dare to inject it and grants paranormal abilities to those who survive -- is spreading across the globe and threatening
Published October 27th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published October 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 4400, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 4400

Benjamin Thomas
As mentioned in my review of The 4400: Welcome to Promise City, I had watched the 4400 TV show through all four seasons only to be hugely disapointed at the cliff hanger ending resulting from cancellation. This is the second and final book to close out the story line of the show, and I thought it succeeded very well.

The last book struggled to advance the plot line very far, mostly because it got bogged down in trying to remind readers on where all of the characters are now...and there are a lot
C.L. Allen
After greatly enjoying "Welcome to Promise City", I wasted little time grabbing a copy of this conclusion to one of my favorite series. I really wanted to give this novel a four or five star review, but I just couldn't. "Promises Broken", while enjoyable in its own as a successor to The 4400, failed to deliver the grand exit that I felt this series deserved. Or course, there was much about this book that I did like, enough to recommend it even to fans of the series. However, some of the main cha ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 24, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best of all the 4400 novels done so far. It is absolutely crammed with action and suspense with nothing less than the survival of almost all of humanity at stake.

There are still three of the Marked around, and they have their own agenda, duping Dennis Ryland into helping them. Diana is having problems with Maia who has become thirteen years old, defiant and ends up a runaway of sorts. Kyle has become rather unbalanced what with his Cassie alter-ego. Marco has developed an a
Oct 13, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i was a bit disapointed in "welcome to promise city" because it did little to advance the story. promises broken however was a great read. it ended with a cliff hange but it was a far more satisying clifhanger than tthe shows. i woulld of course be thrilled to find out what happens next to my favorit promicin positives. i will be very annoyed if there is never another 4400 installment.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jan 12, 2014 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second half of a duology of books to offer closure to the cancelled TV-series "The 4400," "Promises Broken" does what it can given the scope of the saga it needs to finish. The book's predecessor "Welcome to Promise City" by Greg Cox was a bit lost and did obviously too little for the bigger picture. On the other hand it had the task of getting the readers back along for the ride. David Mack picks up where Cox left off and turns the pace up.

I've read Star Trek books by both Cox and Mack befo
Number Two
Enjoyable book, but definitely weaker than "Welcome to Promise City". Characters aren't really like their versions from the tv series, especially Tom and Diana, there are also small mistakes. (For example Kyle was not controlled by The Marked in the show, it was something different.) But the ending...BUT THE ENDING! Oh my Rassilon, I love and I hate it. I love it because it was great, 100% style of tv series. I hate it, because once more I didn't get the definite end of the story itself.
Karolline Guimarães
Nice book, but like the tv series it left a cliff hanger at the end...
I was looking for a sequel but I didn't find, so I realised: okay, I guess this will be the end.. :/
Kent
Feb 27, 2014 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good and exciting addition to the story line. My only gripe is that the personality of the characters isn't quite in sync with the prior book, but it's still a good read. I just wish they would have continues writing these books, because there's so much more story to go.
Jennifer Leavitt-wipf
This is a pretty good book, but only for fans of the 4400 show, who watched through season four's conclusion. (I don't think it stands alone, without the show.) The show was cancelled before there was closure, and two books were written to bring us a bit more of that. The first book was "The 4400: Welcome to Promise City." You really need to read both, but if you read this one without the first, this author does fill in necessary details so you won't be utterly confused. This book is allegedly " ...more
Terri
Apr 10, 2014 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the last book written about the 4400 but the end is left in such a way that the story can continue. Great series if you are/were a fan of the TV series. All the characters are the same as in the TV show. Although Welcome to Promise City and Promises Broken are written by two different authors, they have both done a good job of keeping the continuity between the characters and the overall style the same.
Roy
Feb 15, 2013 Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed the 4400 series on fx, then the two-book series (Promise City ad Promises Broken) provide a nice visit back to that world, a strong closure for the story lines at the end of the TV series, and the same fast-paced action and scifi idea exploration that made the TV series fun. It also has an ending that could be the basis for further novels, without being a cliff-hanger. I'm glad I read them; they were worth my limited reading time.
Lisa Murray
I read this because the series was cut after 4 seasons and left with a cliff-hanger; the writing was clearly for a television show--action based and the nuances brought by the actors were absent. But I'm glad to have some closure after watching all 4 seasons.
Kris Russel
Jul 23, 2014 Kris Russel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real treat for fans of the show. Wish they would have made this into a movie to conclude the series. Of course when I say conclude... The reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is because it ends with a cliffhanger. *frustrated growl*
Rich
Jan 06, 2011 Rich rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mess.

The 4400 was a great television series, but this book is just way too over the top and silly.

Truly this is a sad way to end such a great storyverse.
Stéphane Thinel
May 25, 2013 Stéphane Thinel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read 'Welcome to promise city' before this one and for me, these two books close very well the TV series that I have discover and watched passionately on Netflix.
Afsana
Mar 28, 2012 Afsana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed readuing this book- it was a light book and been a while since I read the others may have to go back and watch the series again
Jd
Aug 21, 2014 Jd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, paperback
I was a huge fan of the show, and the previous book, and I thought this did an outstanding job tying up all of their lose ends.
Stephanie
I was pretty irritated with how the show went, so I'm glad I got a chance to see a little more of it.
Vampirerichard
Angela
Jun 02, 2012 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
2nd series finale books. Read second.
Maria
Mar 08, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book.
Moises
Moises rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
José M. Gomes
José M. Gomes marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
RAYMOND W REICHARD
RAYMOND W REICHARD rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Erica Fletcher
Erica Fletcher marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Amanda Newcomb
Amanda Newcomb marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Megan Andrews
Megan Andrews marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • The 4400: Welcome to Promise City
  • Wet Work (The 4400)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Unbaited Trap
  • Sepp Holzer: The Rebel Farmer
  • This Time of Dying
  • Mary Bell's Comp Dehydrator Cookbook
  • Star Trek - Deep Space Nine: The Missing
  • The Curry Secret
  • A Brief History of the Future: The Origins of the Internet
  • The Green Witch Herbal: Restoring Nature's Magic in Home, Health, and Beauty Care
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Jesus the Man: Decoding the Real Story of Jesus and Mary Magdalene
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Turning Point (Sholan Alliance, #1)
  • Permaculture One
  • The Goddess in the Gospels: Reclaiming the Sacred Feminine
  • The Old Straight Track: Its Mounds, Beacons, Moats, Sites and Mark Stones
2620393
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than twenty-five novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans o