Start by marking “Good Morning, Killer (Ana Grey, #2)” as Want to Read:
Good Morning, Killer (Ana Grey, #2)

Good Morning, Killer (Ana Grey #2)

Special Agent Grey is working on a kidnapping case—a fifteen-year-old named Juliana has been abducted in Santa Monica. Grey’s counterpart in the Santa Monica Police Department is Detective Andrew Berringer. They’ve worked together before—and they’ve been more than just working together ever since.

It’s Ana’s job “to know the victim as if she were my own flesh and blood.” B
Published April 22nd 2003 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published December 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Good Morning, Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Morning, Killer

Staci Woodburn-Henry
Jan 17, 2014 Staci Woodburn-Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read outside my normal genre for the Ana Grey books on the recommendation of a friend. After one, I was hooked. This is the note I sent him while on the second book:

I was reading while waiting for the bus this morning. When it pulled up, I got on without looking up. Still on the bus 45 minutes later, it's pouring rain and hail and no one can figure out how to close the roof hatch that I'm sitting under. Which is of course when I finally stopped reading and noticed that not only am I getting p
Ana T.
I can't resist a good thriller, especially with a female as the male lead so when I read a review of this one somewhere I decided to pick it up. This is the second book in a series and some readers might feel more comfortable starting at the beginning, it didn't bother me too much though so if you want to read it as standalone I think that's ok.

I did have a problem with the story though. The mystery in itself did not sound very intriguing to me. The author goes on and on about the parents and ab
Marcia
There's some similarity between Ana Grey and Kathy Reichs's Tempe Brennan: both are very bright women who do some very, very stupid things. I find Grey more compelling at this point simply because I've read less of her, and Brennan has been around long enough to become a diluted brand. Grey's choices surprise me; Brennan's choices fall more into the "Don't go after the killer by yourself without police backup YET AGAIN!" variety.

I will say that the Brennan books are purer mystery novels, with a
Julie Ehlers
The long-awaited (by me, anyway) sequel to North of Montana. I remember that book as being more edgy and hard-boiled than most mysteries with female protagonists, and this novel definitely confirmed that. The depiction of the brutal crime and its victim was beautifully written without being exploitative, but I have to say this one was a bit too hard-boiled and edgy--it went over the top at the end. Still really good, and I plan to read the next book in the series.
Maddy
Nov 30, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2003-reads
RATING: 2.75

Way back in 1994, April Smith introduced a character by the name of Ana Grey in the acclaimed debut novel North of Montana. It's taken her almost 10 years, but Ana is back in Smith's latest work, Good Morning, Killer. She's still an FBI Special Agent, but her life has changed dramatically in the period between the 2 books. The "man" in the first book, Mike Donnato, has gotten married and moved to best friend status.

On the professional front, Ana does well, although sometimes her jud
Ann
May 15, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
found it hard to put it down. Ana is the sort of FBI Agent that cares passionately about her work, her relationships and the victims she is out to protect. I wasn't completely surprised at the denoument, but I enjoyed the unfolding of the tale thoroughly. I'll give this one a 9+ for the well developed subplots, two investigations, two sets of relationships and lots of police and FBI procedural details driven by the obsessive nature of Ana who will not rest until she solves the case even if it la ...more
Jen
In Good Morning Killer, FBI agent Ana Grey is after a child kidnapper/rapist when she and her police officer boyfriend have a fight that ends in her shooting him.

The divergent plots in this book made it a little odd. Neither plot seemed extremely developed and I found myself with a lot of "huh?'s" at the end of the novel. And the whole ordeal with Lindsey seemed to be left hanging as well.

I had conflicting feelings about Ana. At times I loved her character, at times I felt sorry for her and at
Barbara ★
I had a lot of trouble with this book. The main character, veteran FBI agent, Ana Grey acts very un-FBI-like - shooting her boyfriend, hiding evidence, lying. It just threw off my whole perception of law enforcement. I also couldn't figure the relationship between FBI Ana and California detective Andrew Berringer. It didn't seem to me as if they even liked each other, the heck with being in love. The whole relationship was one-sided and bizarre. I didn't read the first book in the series but Ana ...more
Tessa
Jun 02, 2012 Tessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have developed a love-hate relationship with this story. It started off a bit slow, but it did pick up pace. I slowly began liking the story, but I also felt there was quite a bit of un-needed information that I actually just skimmed over. These parts didn't add anything to the story itself, in my opinion just took away from it. Don't be fooled--it is not a story about an abducted girl (which I thought based on the description). This story revolves around the main character herself, and everyt ...more
Marie
Feb 06, 2012 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I saw that a TV movie was soon coming on based on this book. What a surprise to see the movie left out the most interesting plot in the book ! Both plots in the book were very interesting, but the author just seemed to have a style of writing that irritated me a little bit. It was like details were left out or something, and kind of jumped from here to there. Worth reading, but I have to say, when reading an author who is new to me, I find myself looking up all the other ...more
Steve
May 20, 2011 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
book on tape
this author came HIGHLY recommended while at the Festival of Books.
I found good morning killer to be part FBI story and 2 parts soap opera on his personal life.
I liked the character of ana but i wanted more time on the plot and not on her life. i think that is just me.
This time Special Agent Grey is working on a kidnapping case—a fifteen-year-old named Juliana has been abducted in Santa Monica. Grey’s counterpart in the Santa Monica Police Department is Detective Andrew Berringer. Th
Jaki
Mar 24, 2012 Jaki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun read--all in one day for me.

But very predictable (for example, knew exactly how the bank robbery fit into all of it way early on).

And in the back of the book the author cites her son for the teenage lingo...um, maybe just me, but Stephanie/Ethan didn't really convince me as actually sounding like today's teenagers in several instances--an imitation, sure, but not the real deal. Like, "some fool" seems odd to me (it's the word "fool"--"idiot" or something else seems way more likely). Also, "i
Kelly
Jul 09, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Rating: 4.5 stars
This was, surprisingly, very good!!! I say "surprisingly" because I'd never heard of this author, just happened to grab the book out of the dollar bin at my local used bookstore. It's the second in a series featuring FBI agent Ana Grey. The writing is intelligent and witty, and it drew me in from the very first page. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars is because the end dragged on just a bit, but I find that happens with a lot of books, so no biggie. I would high
grundoon
3.5 About all I recall from having read the first years ago is being intrigued and interested in reading more, though not in any great rush (convenient, I suppose, that it'd be a number of years before this second in the series came out anyway). Perhaps it was as odd a mixture as this one, with some pretty good story that unfortunately relies on ugly, unsympathetic set up. And possibly I was thinking the same: you know, if she didn't go out of her way to make her characters unlikeable and did so ...more
Isabel
note : je n'avais pas lu le resumé en entier avant de lire le livre, j'ai donc été surprise par la tournure des événements.

Ca commence comme un polar classique et ça continue avec une histoire de violence conjugale. J'ai été happée par l'ecriture et même si certaines façons de resoudre l'histoire ne m’ont pas trop convenue, ça n'en reste pas moins un polar interessant avec une héroine qui change des heroines habituelles.
Nora Leduc
Jan 04, 2012 Nora Leduc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a mixed book. I gave it four stars because it's well written but it wasn't a book I'd re read. I actually read it because I watched the TNT Mystery Movie so I was surprised what else was in the book! The movie left out at least half of the story. Below might be a spoiler--

At times, I couldn't stop reading, yet the violence in the book between Ana and Andrew although it seemed realistic, turned me off. Still I couldn't wait to see how it all turned out.
Richard Becker
Apr 08, 2016 Richard Becker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-grey, april-smith
This was slow reading at first, but I am glad that I persevered and finished it. The tense finishing half of the book was worth it. Ana Grey proves to be a tough and resilient character who solves the kidnapping case and even an earlier bank robbery. Her personal life is shattered, but I believe that she is recovering by the book's end. This is a well-written book with a character that I want to read about again.
Kristina
Write a review...This was so bad it was worse than Twilight. I finished this in a day because it was just boring and so easy to get through because you never have to think about any thing because it already figured it out. The main character was not likable because she have a believable personality. Maybe if the author actually put some detail and skill maybe it would be a good story. It was like reading a straight of of crap.
Rachel
Aug 27, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ana Grey is an FBI Agent assigned to the kidnapping of a teenage girl. Ana is also having escalating problems with her cop boyfriend, Andrew Berringer. This is really two unconnected stories smashed into one book. I was interested in the kidnapping story and didn't care about the relationship drama.
Phred Jackson
I've been reading some of the novels that TNT Mystery Movie Night eps were based on which is why I read pt 2 b4 pt 1. We weren't properly introduced but I thot Ana tended to allow her emotions to obscure some obvious clues, mainly the bank robbery. I'll watch the movie version w/ Catherine Bell as Ana tomorrow. The screenplay was written By the book's author, April Smith.
Jeanette
Oct 17, 2012 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started out a little slow for my likings, but did pick up and I couldn't put it down. The ending was a little different then I expected (didn't really like it) but it did go with the story.

Over all, a good book to read.
Jeff Dickison
Jul 14, 2013 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, even though the main character seems to be slightly bonkers sometimes. The book begins in one direction then quickly takes a sharp turn in another direction. I did not think this was an easy read, but I felt the FBI agent, while flawed, was real. Recommended!
J. Ewbank
This was an excellent read. It was the first time I have read a book by April Smith, but I surely will be willing to read another. I liked the characters in the book and enjoyed the plot.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms"
Mark
Dec 17, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd in a series of the Ana Grey mysteries...a gritty thriller with a tough, no-nonsense female FBI agent as the protagonist...pretty dark & hard edged with little or no hmor, even the black humor of law enforcement...I'll give the series one more shot as I plan to read the 1st
Madeline
Feb 11, 2012 Madeline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Smith's first book, North of Montana and liked her character Ana Gray. This book, however, had too many different plots; didn't like Ana in it. She sounded more like a soap heroine than an FBI agent.
Ken Fredette
Mar 26, 2014 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a good story even if I guessed the outcome near the half way point. Maybe that's why I read mostly Scandinavian mysteries. I saw myself in Ana.
Carmen
Mar 21, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit of a rollercoaster read. Interesting, but plot was perhaps a bit too complicated. I would be interested in reading another book by this author - but not at bedtime.
Majanice.57gmail.com
I really did not empathize with the characters. Anna Gray did not seem like a FBI agent. I didn't like her or her boyfriend.
Kester
Feb 10, 2010 Kester rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting threads, none resolved satisfyingly. Murky writing ("wait, when did she get from here to there?"), irritating characters.
Erica Hudson
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mystery/Thriller ...: Ana Gray Mystery Movie on TNT 12 21 Oct 24, 2011 09:00PM
  • Moody Cow Meditates
  • The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)
  • Bite Marks: A Vampire Testament
  • Ghosts (87th Precinct #34)
  • Every Move She Makes
  • Deadly Errors
  • Without a Word (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #8)
  • Fear Itself
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • A Darker Justice (Mary Crow, #2)
  • The Legacy
  • Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4)
  • UnCONventional
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Girls Rule
  • Tempted in the Night (Night Slayer, #3)
  • The Only Road North: 9,000 Miles of Dirt and Dreams
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
Here's the down and dirty: grew up in the Bronx, went to college in Boston, graduate school in California, back to Cambridge to write a first failed novel and learn how the world works by writing ad copy,west to Los Angeles in 1976 for a career writing and producing TV, until the writer's strike of 1988 when I wrote my first novel on spec, North of Montana. Two wonderful grown children and the bes ...more
More about April Smith...

Ana Grey (4 books)
  • North of Montana (Ana Grey, #1)
  • Judas Horse (Ana Grey, #3)
  • White Shotgun (Ana Grey, #4)