Start by marking “Stories by O.Henry” as Want to Read:
Stories by O.Henry

Stories by O.Henry

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  572 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
ISBN: 1559029838 (Do NOT enter in ISBN field!)

Born William Sidney Porter in 1862, O. Henry first lived a checkered life as a cowhand, bank teller, reporter, embezzler, and convict. Then, in a last-minute reversal worthy of one of his own stories, he turned to fiction, and became a celebrated author of ironic miniatures. "The Gift of the Magi" is perhaps his most famous cre
Library Binding
Published October 1st 1999 by Bt Bound (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Stories by O.Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories by O.Henry

Andrei Tamaş
Apr 13, 2016 Andrei Tamaş rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nefiind un scriitor de profesie (a fost medic, funcționar la bancă și pușcăriaș, fiind acuzat de fraudă fiscală) și neavând studii în litere, O. Henry reușește totuși să surprindă prin proza sa scurtă....
Întotdeauna mi-au plăcut scrierile care reuşesc să surprindă fără a apela la niciun dram de supranatural. Perplexitatea pe care o lasă în inima cititorului după parcurgerea celor câteva pagini ale fiecărei opere este profundă, impresionând mai degrabă prin neașteptatul final decât prin substanț
Trang Anh
Aug 07, 2012 Trang Anh rated it it was amazing
Voltaire once said: “Poetry is the music of the soul, and, above all, of great and feeling souls”. Genuine poetry sings to us, lets us feel the melody and dance accordingly. The melody will then resonate, echo and become part of us.

Each story of O' Henry's is a poem permeated with wit, warmth and tenderness.

His twist endings amazed me; his characters moved me; his stories touched my heart and nourished my soul!
Stefan Stoyanov
Apr 15, 2015 Stefan Stoyanov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best autor of short stories!
Bollinger
Apr 21, 2014 Bollinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed "The Gift of the Magi" and "The Ransom of Red Chief," I thought I knew what I would find in this small collection of O. Henry stories, but how wrong I was! His gift for humor is enormous. He can poke fun at city dwellers, cowpokes, con men, and even crazy cat ladies like me. Change, "Memoirs of a Yellow Dog" to "Memoirs of a Black Cat" and you'll have an exact representation of what it's like to live in my house. He lampooned me like Mad Magazine never could, and I loved every wor ...more
Meghan
Dec 31, 2008 Meghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories were amusing; not terribly deep, but then again, they are short stories. After reading several, the trademark "surprise" ending became predictable, but was still often entertaining or able to illicit a short-lived emotional reaction. Definitely worth reading to be culturally literate; a great sampling of O. Henry's works.
David Koblos
Dec 18, 2012 David Koblos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Oh, the beauty of short stories! I loved them, each in their own way. After finnishing one, I couldn't help looking back and repeating in my mind its progression, its twist, and its curious outcome. Little jewels of literature, from a time when things were made to last.
Charles
Dec 26, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Many of these are quite slight but many are excellent. It also forshadows the modern interest in microfictions.
Crystal
I skipped a few in this edition, but it was a quick, satisfying read. "Schools and Schools" is wonderful.
Jenny Suh
Nov 07, 2012 Jenny Suh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have spent the last few days on your keester, staring at drug names, drug therapy, pharmacology, physiology, and statistics, and you need reassurance that life is not all about living in obscurity in the midst of academia, go and read some O'Henry stories. But only after you have gone out with friends, TALKED to people, and have utterly overwhelmed yourself with extrovertism.

O'Henry sees the silver lining in life. At least his stories seem to portray him that way. He forces you to look a
Allison Fetch
Jan 21, 2013 Allison Fetch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally purchased this book back in high school and it sat unread since then. I got about halfway through it a few years ago and finally finished it this week. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but I think I should make an exception for O. Henry. While I generally didn't care for his stories set in the West, and much preferred those set in NYC, I thoroughly enjoyed most of these tales. The only one which I had already read was "Gift of the Magi", but I found others that I truly enjoyed. ...more
David Richardson
May 26, 2016 David Richardson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the stories in this book were quite good. There were a few clunkers, but you can expect that in any collection. Short so you can read it quickly, if you like short stories you should check this out.
Nellie
Aug 17, 2014 Nellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not enjoying this book as much as I thought I would. I do not think I appreciate his style of writing.
I will continue to plug along reading...
Ratnesh
Apr 18, 2016 Ratnesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such nice stories. You just can not expect the ending. great humor and life portrayal.
Larry Wegman
"The Gift of the Magi" and other stories, several about lovable misfits.
Nasir Zakareya
May 25, 2012 Nasir Zakareya rated it really liked it
This book was a very interesting one. It had short stories and each story had a different theme and they all had an ironic twist towards the end. My favorite story was the one about a couple that sacrificed their most prized possessions to get each other a gift for Christmas however at the "twist" at the end of the story was that each person sacrificed the thing that was intended to go with the gift they got each other. I thought this was very interesting and that the moral of the story very muc ...more
Peirou
Mar 06, 2015 Peirou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite author of all time.
Don Gubler
Clever writer.
Donnarama
Aug 16, 2012 Donnarama rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jason-read
Jason read this and enjoyed many of the stories. Some stories were difficult to get through because the vocabulary was advanced (for an almost 12 year old voracious reader) and the content a bit complex. Other stories, however, were really compelling -- like The Green Door, which was -- by far -- his favorite. That story Jason would recommend to all readers.

He read the anthology from my junior high school years. I LOVED O'Henry, for the record, and would have given it a 4 or 5 star rating.
Sabina
Apr 14, 2012 Sabina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanx to yesterday's rain I finished reading the book. It was a perfect mix of stories that made me laugh, cry and think about how different the world became from O. Henry's time! His way of writing is exquisite! All of the stories are simply inspiring! I didn't go to bed without reading at least one of his stories! Thanx to a friend I am adding this book to my forever bookshelf and re-read it whenever it feels like sth beautiful, lively and inspiring...
melydia
Nov 14, 2008 melydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of stories for one who has little time to read. They are short, often humorous, and written in a folksy language that is far easier for the modern reader (or at least me) to parse than many other stories from the same era. If you liked The Gift of the Magi, you'll probably like the rest of the stories. I don't know what took me so long to read this.
Nargiz
Aug 27, 2013 Nargiz rated it it was amazing
I have reread Stories by O.Henry many time, and ,for sure, it is my favorite book. I am impressed by the talent of the author to describe perfectly human nature in just 2 or 3 pages. Besides, his sense of humor (“Princess and Puma”) adds some extra attractiveness to the stories.

Definitely, in my recommended list
Sean
Dec 05, 2012 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the stories of O'Henry are clever and full of whimsy, it cannot make up for the fact that they are often trite and uninteresting. Perhaps I am still too young to fully appreciate his style and the message buried in each tale, but I feel my time would be better suited for tales with more substance.
Christy
Jul 05, 2007 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortstories
Best known for the short story, "The Gift of the Magi", O. Henry was definitely a master at what we today call "the twist ending." The story that I remember most is "The Green Door." At the time I read it, I wrote that I liked "Schools and Schools" and "The Last Leaf."
Melanie
Jan 14, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have a much earlier version of this given to me by my sister when I was 9. I didn't want a book for Christmas but she would read to me from it when I would go to stay overnight. This book became one of my most cherished possessions. I still read it to this day.
Kristina Stefanova
The usual stories. I liked it and I can't tell why but those stories were more interesting for me when I was in the high school. Meanwhile maybe O. Henry is one of the writers with more strongly expressed style and that makes him father of the short stories.
Jeffrey
Mar 30, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Pretty much a complete collection of all of O.Henry's short story collections.

A collection of collections as it were.
Yvensong
As with most short story collections, some of the stories are very good, while others were just so-so.
Nik
Apr 20, 2010 Nik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
these were some interesting stories that were perfect in length to read one just before bedtime.
Kimberly Mcclune
Always enjoy the beautifully told anecdotes of O'Henry.
Dwi
Aug 25, 2012 Dwi rated it it was amazing
Pretty goddamn awesome short stories!!
  • The Human Comedy: Selected Stories
  • New York Stories
  • The Best of Dorothy Parker
  • Short Stories
  • A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One
  • The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales
  • The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories
  • The New York Stories of Henry James
  • The Bodysurfers
  • The Novel 100: A Ranking Of The Greatest Novels Of All Time
  • Savage Dragon, Vol. 1: Baptism of Fire
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs
More about O. Henry...