Start by marking “Stories by O.Henry” as Want to Read:
Stories by O.Henry

Stories by O.Henry

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title—offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.

Tales o...more
Library Binding
Published October 1st 1999 by Bt Bound

To ask other readers questions about Stories by O.Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories by O.Henry

Trang Anh
Voltaire once said: “Poetry is the music of the soul, and, above all, of great and feeling souls”. Genuine poetry sings to us, lets us feel the melody and dance accordingly. The melody will then resonate, echo and become part of us.

Each story of O' Henry's is a poem permeated with wit, warmth and tenderness.

His twist endings amazed me; his characters moved me; his stories touched my heart and nourished my soul!
Meghan
These stories were amusing; not terribly deep, but then again, they are short stories. After reading several, the trademark "surprise" ending became predictable, but was still often entertaining or able to illicit a short-lived emotional reaction. Definitely worth reading to be culturally literate; a great sampling of O. Henry's works.
David Koblos
Oh, the beauty of short stories! I loved them, each in their own way. After finnishing one, I couldn't help looking back and repeating in my mind its progression, its twist, and its curious outcome. Little jewels of literature, from a time when things were made to last.
Charles
Many of these are quite slight but many are excellent. It also forshadows the modern interest in microfictions.
Bollinger
Having enjoyed "The Gift of the Magi" and "The Ransom of Red Chief," I thought I knew what I would find in this small collection of O. Henry stories, but how wrong I was! His gift for humor is enormous. He can poke fun at city dwellers, cowpokes, con men, and even crazy cat ladies like me. Change, "Memoirs of a Yellow Dog" to "Memoirs of a Black Cat" and you'll have an exact representation of what it's like to live in my house. He lampooned me like Mad Magazine never could, and I loved every wor...more
Allison Fetch
I originally purchased this book back in high school and it sat unread since then. I got about halfway through it a few years ago and finally finished it this week. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but I think I should make an exception for O. Henry. While I generally didn't care for his stories set in the West, and much preferred those set in NYC, I thoroughly enjoyed most of these tales. The only one which I had already read was "Gift of the Magi", but I found others that I truly enjoyed....more
Nasir Zakareya
This book was a very interesting one. It had short stories and each story had a different theme and they all had an ironic twist towards the end. My favorite story was the one about a couple that sacrificed their most prized possessions to get each other a gift for Christmas however at the "twist" at the end of the story was that each person sacrificed the thing that was intended to go with the gift they got each other. I thought this was very interesting and that the moral of the story very muc...more
melydia
This is a great collection of stories for one who has little time to read. They are short, often humorous, and written in a folksy language that is far easier for the modern reader (or at least me) to parse than many other stories from the same era. If you liked The Gift of the Magi, you'll probably like the rest of the stories. I don't know what took me so long to read this.
Nargiz
I have reread Stories by O.Henry many time, and ,for sure, it is my favorite book. I am impressed by the talent of the author to describe perfectly human nature in just 2 or 3 pages. Besides, his sense of humor (“Princess and Puma”) adds some extra attractiveness to the stories.

Definitely, in my recommended list
Sean
Though the stories of O'Henry are clever and full of whimsy, it cannot make up for the fact that they are often trite and uninteresting. Perhaps I am still too young to fully appreciate his style and the message buried in each tale, but I feel my time would be better suited for tales with more substance.
Christy
Best known for the short story, "The Gift of the Magi", O. Henry was definitely a master at what we today call "the twist ending." The story that I remember most is "The Green Door." At the time I read it, I wrote that I liked "Schools and Schools" and "The Last Leaf."
Melanie
I have a much earlier version of this given to me by my sister when I was 9. I didn't want a book for Christmas but she would read to me from it when I would go to stay overnight. This book became one of my most cherished possessions. I still read it to this day.
Kristina Stefanova
The usual stories. I liked it and I can't tell why but those stories were more interesting for me when I was in the high school. Meanwhile maybe O. Henry is one of the writers with more strongly expressed style and that makes him father of the short stories.
Jeffrey
Pretty much a complete collection of all of O.Henry's short story collections.

A collection of collections as it were.
Nik
these were some interesting stories that were perfect in length to read one just before bedtime.
Dwi
Pretty goddamn awesome short stories!!
Babete
( Polícias e Ladrões )
Caroline Blair
Caroline Blair marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Cindi Downer
Cindi Downer marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
KNShaikh
KNShaikh marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Hayastan
Hayastan marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs...more
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Best Short Stories of O. Henry The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories