Start by marking “Blitz” as Want to Read:
Blitz

Blitz

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Blitz is a fast and spirited fire horse, but when his partner pulling the fire wagon is killed in a terrible accident and his owner is badly injured, Blitz is sold to a flower peddler who is not as kind. He is, in fact, abusive. Will poor Blitz ever be well-treated again?
Published April 1st 1974 by Houghton Mifflin Company (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Blitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blitz

The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Books That Consumed My Childhood
212th out of 216 books — 26 voters
White Heaven Women by Jessie B. TysonWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseUnthinkable Consequences by Bob RectorShadow Over Avalon by C.N. LesleyEden by Louise Wise
Wish It Was A Movie
358th out of 389 books — 333 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Verret
Nov 29, 2012 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Blitz was named for the white streak that zigzagged like a stroke of lightning down his red brown nose. Born onto the idyllic farm of a horse breeder, Blitz spent his first three years frolicking and learning how to behave in accordance with human orders. But it wasn’t until Sye Perkins purchased him at the county fair, that anyone realized how appropriately Blitz had been named. Teamed with Sye’s horse, Frank, Blitz could fairly fly! He and Frank begin serving together in the town fire departme ...more
Alaine
Nov 04, 2008 Alaine rated it it was amazing
This was my all time favourite book as a child. I remember hiding under the covers reading with a torch until Mum caught me so the next morning I woke up as soon as the sun came up so I could keep reading the story. It was so sad I was crying really hard when Mum got up a few hours later. She got cranky with me for reading books that made me sad. But I loved the story and I still remember most of it.
J.J.
Feb 22, 2011 J.J. rated it it was amazing
This was my FAVOURITE horse book as a little girl, but it's hard to find a copy nowadays - mad props to my bro for finding me one a few years back! Even twenty-someodd years later I still remember almost the entire plotline to a tee!
Hildegart
May 05, 2012 Hildegart rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses
This is a great book! I misplaced my first copy so when I saw another copy in a thrift store, I bought it! Now I have two copies for my bookshelves- can't go wrong with that!!
John Krafty
Dec 07, 2007 John Krafty rated it liked it
I read this book in grade school and it still stays with me. A heartwarming story of an abused horse who comes across a lonely child and they become "friends".
Sandy
I think I read it at least 17 times... me and horses when I was young... dreams that did not pass until I was an adult... sweet, wonderful horse-story read.
Sherri Keller
Jun 25, 2012 Sherri Keller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 5-star
This was one of my favourite books growing up. I must have read it at least a hundred times at our cottage.
Suzi
Apr 26, 2009 Suzi rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book when I was young - I read it sooo many times!!
Nicole Rubano
Nov 11, 2010 Nicole Rubano rated it really liked it
this was one of my favorite books as a kid
Sharon Brown
Aug 13, 2013 Sharon Brown rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to Sharon by: A Teacher
As a kid, I read this book a Hundred times. It is my all time favorite childs book. I am old now, I just remember a child who saved a severely abused horse from going to slaughter for 5 dollars, once He nursed it back to health and gained the Horses trust, he found the Horse was still young. The Father is AWESOME in this, as He helps teach his boy how to care for a living thing, an animal who when I was a kid, was thought by the older generations to not have feelings and "It" was suppose to Prod ...more
Nancy
Sep 11, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars for the book itself, fourth star added for pure nostalgia. The overall plot is familiar: horse has terrific upbringing, owner forced to sell horse to Bad Folk(TM), horse is abused, horse becomes mean, horse is rescued by Good Folk(TM), horse recovers. It's similar to both Smoky the Cow Horse and Black Beauty (though Black Beauty is told from the POV of the horse himself.) If you love those two books, and don't mind a story hung on a similar frame, then you'll love this. I'm guessing ...more
Tara Choate
Mar 23, 2014 Tara Choate rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a child and when I picked it up the other day, it was just as good.
Stef
Jan 20, 2015 Stef rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book when I was in 4th grade and loving it.
Linda
Apr 18, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horses
I found this well-read paperback at a garage sale, and it's one of the few horse books that I hadn't read growing up. It's absolutely wonderful. Besides being a good horse book, it's also interesting historical fiction, taking place during the time when horses still pulled equipment to put out fires. A perfect middle grade read, and I even blinked back a few tears. Really good book!
K.J. Klemme
Jan 11, 2014 K.J. Klemme rated it it was amazing
Another childhood book that I loved enough to hunt down again.
Rena Sherwood
It's an American version of Black Beauty, but it is very good. Great illustrations, lots of action, a nice dog and much shorter and more understandable to 21st century readers than Black Beauty.
Olivia
Oct 03, 2009 Olivia rated it it was amazing
It is a heartfelt story of kindness and gentleness.
Claire
Dec 09, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-reads
Read it for school, thought it was good.
Maya
Dec 31, 2009 Maya rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is the book that sealed my love for horses.
Michael
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Faye McDonald
Faye McDonald rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Ashlyn
Ashlyn marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Lyndsey
Lyndsey marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
T
T rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015