Start by marking “2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)” as Want to Read:
2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)

2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  28,529 ratings  ·  519 reviews
Nine years after the disastrous Discovery mission to Jupiter in 2001, a joint U.S.-Soviet expedition sets out to rendezvous with the derelict spacecraft--to search the memory banks of the mutinous computer HAL 9000 for clues to what went wrong...and what became of Commander Dave Bowman.

Without warning, a Chinese expedition targets the same objective, turning the recovery m
Published February 25th 1997 by Del Rey (first published October 28th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about 2010, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2010

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
256th out of 4,473 books — 16,026 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank HerbertThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Best Science Fiction
134th out of 1,660 books — 2,312 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
As soon as I finished reading this I thought, man, I wish I didn't suck so badly at science, because being an astronomer would be SO FREAKING COOL.

But I do suck so badly at science, so I just get to read wonders like this and wish I was half as good a writer as Arthur C. Clarke, who gets to be really friggin' smart in TWO CAREERS, which is totally unfair.

There are several great things about this book. First, and one of the things that I love to read old sci-fi books for, is what Clarke in the 80
Henry Avila
The enigma of the Spaceship Discovery, lost in Jupiter's orbit ( the setting has been changed from Saturn in the original book, to match Kubrick's film).Arthur C. Clarke's sequel to 2001, has Dr. Heywood Floyd, again recruited on a joint U.S. and Soviet(written in 1982)expedition, to the giant planet.To find out what happened!The crew of the Soviet ship Leonov ,consists of seven Russians and three Americans,with both male and female members.Dr.Floyd,Dr. Chandra, builder of the malfunctioning com ...more
Andreas
This series started as a one-off book released in conjunction with the Stanley Kubrick movie of the same name. The series consists of:

* 2001: A Space Odyssey
* 2010: Odyssey Two. (Also made into a film)
* 2061 Odyssey Three
* 3001: The Final Odyssey

The first and second books are enthralling. 2061 is more of the same, and thus decent but somewhat pointless as part of the arc. 3001 is an attempt at closing up all the loose threads, and does so in a satisfying way.

For a long time, these books frus
Heidi
This sequel to 2001 was fine, but it wasn't nearly as good as 2001. Heywood Floyd and a couple of other Americans join the Russians on a trip to rescue the stranded spaceship Discovery and learn what happened to astronaut David Bowman, who disappeared at the end of 2001. They also want to probe the mystery of the black monolith, which is hanging in space around...Jupiter?

Yes, they end up at Jupiter, even though in the book 2001, the black monolith was sitting on one of Saturn's moons. And when D
Jason
I grew up watching the Peter Hymans movie adaptation of this novel. I later found a copy of the book in my high school library and read it while I was a teenager. It enjoyed it, knew I would read it again, but it has taken me about fifteen years. Amanda found a used copy at the library a few years ago, and I decided that after 2001 A Space Odyssey and Rendezvous with Rama, a little more Arthur C. Clarke wouldn’t hurt.

Summary
Ten years after the mysterious and disastrous events of the first book
Hope
Aug 17, 2008 Hope rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: just about anyone
I have mixed feelings about this book. Given that title, it should be a sequel to the novel 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it's not. It's more a semi-sequel to the movie of the same name. Where the novel and the book differ, 2010 follows the movie, expect where it changes things to make this novel more consistent. Since it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I'm not aware of what those differences are.

Clark's writing continues to be quite beautiful. He has the rare combination of being bo
Sudhamshu Hebbar
The second book by Arthur Clarke that I read. It's also the second book in the Odyssey series. Honestly, I didn't ask obvious questions. The who, why, where of the 'aliens' mentioned in the first part, the fate of the spaceship Discovery, fate of David Bowman needed to be asked. They are answered in this book.
While Clarke continues to fascinate with the intricate details that space travel brings forth, he leaves you in awe with his descriptions of Jupiter & its moons. I was taken aback a bit
Tuan Ho
Wow! I really can't think of anyone who can match Arthur C. Clarke in his ability to instill a sense of timeless wonder and awe that just makes your mind orgasm with joy!

Clarke's writing is just beautiful to read. He makes you understand all the technical stuff, but does it in the most poetic way imagineable.

The last few chapters and the epilogue reminded me of why I love Arthur C. Clarke. Just brilliant!
Seth
Never has the generic Goodreads rating "it was ok" been more applicable for me. A bunch of underdeveloped characters go to space to answer questions that, once "answered," have left me with the realization that I shouldn't have bothered to ask them after all. Gone is the mystery and intrigue of the original 2001, and aside from a handful of moments, there was never an atmosphere of danger...Clarke is far too safe with his characters for my tastes, and it almost seems as if he couldn't decide bet ...more
Rusty
I read Stephen Baxter’s Proxima last week. And while it wasn’t the best book ever written, it is the perfect type of book for me. And by that I mean that, for whatever reason, those type of novels do something to me, deep inside, that really resonates. It’s why I’ll always love that type of Science Fiction way more than I ever will Fantasy. I’ve never found a Fantasy book, no matter how good, that can make me shut the book once it’s over, and go sit outside and stare at the stars.

I’m inclined to
Dan
I was a little skeptical about this once I'd read 2001. Part of the reason 2001 works so well is that nothing is really resolved and the mystery about the monoliths remains a mystery. With the main cast from 2001 all having been removed from the picture too I thought there was limited space to move the story on and I wasn't entirely wrong.

2010 follows a new group of astronauts as they travel to Jupiter to investigate the monolith there and see if the Discovery contains any clues about Dave Bowm
Peshala
After reading 2001 it was so natural to start 2010. The most I liked was Arthur's predictions about technology.
Somewhere in the middle of reading 2010 it occurred to me that this would be the last book I would read from this series.
Somehow things changed and I liked the way everything turned out at the end. I think I am going to read the next book, too.
Luis Fernando Franco
Pues me costó más trabajo que el primer libro, por lo menos hasta la mitad.

La primera mitad me pareció una novelita muy light, honestamente, sin ningún valor más allá de que era la continuación de Odisea 2001.

El hecho de que en la versión que leí no estuviera la explicación de por qué en Odisea 2001 el monolito estaba sobre Japeto, una de las lunas de Saturno y en 2010 lo encontraran flotando alrededor de Júpiter fue un gran distractor. No dejaba de pensar que a lo mejor algo había "resucitado"
Scott D.
Richard
Jan 20, 2010 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi completists; HardSF fans.
Recommended to Richard by: HardSF Group
Back in 1982 when 2010: Odyssey Two was published I was in college, and my roommate was an obsessive reader of science fiction and fantasy. I probably read less than one-third of his throughput, but undoubtedly there are two hundred or so books that I don't recall, or that I remember only dimly when I am reminded of the titles or plot outlines.

Shortly after starting, I realized that this was one of them. Even though I had long since lost any grasp of the details, I knew could recall major events
shayla,
2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke is another beautiful journey through the solar system filled with transformation and unexpected beginnings. 2010 is the 2nd in the Space Odyssey Saga and the sequel to 2001. I mention this because it's important that you've read 2001 in order to understand 2010.

Dr. Heywood Floyd, chairman of the National Council of Aeronautics, makes a reappearance and is the protagonist or main character for 2010. He has been chosen to be a part of a recovery mission of sor
Jim
Not nearly as many people know the sequels to 2001: A Space Odyssey, or even that there *are* sequels. As a standalone, 2001 works very well, thank you very much. 2010: Odyssey Two is not like 2001. The films especially cannot get much more divergent in style, but the novels, while closer together, have significant differences in approach.

2010 has a very workaday, practical style that I really admire. Heywood Floyd (who appears in 2001) takes the central role as the protagonist, yet both HAL and
Raymond Hernandez
Feb 16, 2009 Raymond Hernandez rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who are into science fiction
Shelves: book-club
After reading '2010: Odyssey Two', I found that this book was a very well written story. The story talks about the journey right after the events of '2001: A Space Odyssey' on what happens to the spaceship Discovery and David Bowman. Doctor Floyd, the man who help Bowman and other scientist to find the discovery of a black monolith engraved on Earth's moon, was granted to help out the Soviet Union (the Soviet Union was still around during the publication of this book) to bring back Discovery to ...more
Navi
...Is it possible to like a sequel more than the first book? Cause I totally do.

I can't really describe why though. Perhaps its the fact that more interesting things happen in this book. Or that we actually stick with a set of characters the entire time instead of jumping around different connected events. And I quite liked the characters, too. They felt less flat than the last one.

But MAN, Hal and Dave steal this show. Like, really steal it. Both of them don't appear for long but they manage to
Tim Ludwikowski
This was a really cool read as sequels go and even though Roy Scheider,
Helen Mirren, & John Lithgow are in the movie version, the book is better.
Clarke just breathes more emotional reactions & interactions from the characters
in the book than the movie. Looking forward to the third one now!
Kevin Anderson
I don't remember this clearly enough to say why, but I believe I thought 2010 was a more enjoyable book than 2001.
Jack Bradbury
This was a really good read with some great scenes. Yes, the science is a bit dated, but if that bothers you then you probably shouldn't be reading SF in the first place. The Odyssey books are my first foray into Clarke, and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Clarke is one of those authors who I've always wanted to get around to reading but have just never had the chance. I'm glad I came at it now because I don't think my younger brain could have appreciated it quite as much. Not only is this a ...more
Raj
I loved this book. Much like its predecessor it shared a sense of wonder at the universe around us. You could just imagine Clarke at his typewriting being amazing and awed at everything around him, and it fills every sentence in his work.

A decade after Dave Bowman's last message, a joint US-Soviet expedition is sent to retrieve the Discovery. This is the story of what happens to them when they get there.

The writing is wonderful, the characters, although still sketches, are more rounded than 2001
Ethan I. Solomon
My personal favorite of the 2001 quadrilogy of books. The little known movie was also very entertaining in my opinion, and is one of the most underrated sci-fi movies ever. The books are by far the better of either of the films though, Clarke was at his finest writing this series and the RAMA series, which I think I actually liked better. Clarke was one of the ABC's of scifi and is necessary reading for any student of scifi, along with Asimov and Bob Heinlein. Everything by those authors should ...more
Jen
I remind all who are reading this review, that I still haven't seen the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. The only thing that I know of 2001 is what came in the first book of the series. Which is why, I had these striking thoughts on starting 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2):

(a) What happened to Saturn? Why are we now thinking about the Lagrange point between Jupiter and Europa - or is it Io? The BBT (big, black thing) is on Saturn, damn it!

(b) Wow, I bet I'd get a lot more out of the humor and
Parallel Worlds
Del Rey, 1984

Intended Audience: Adult

Sexual content: None

Ace/Genderqueer characters: yes (A.I. and possibly human)

Rating: PG

Writing style: 3/5

Likable characters: 2/5

Plot/Concepts: 3/5

Everyone’s nervous about going back to Jupiter after what happened to the Discovery and David Bowman. But human curiosity cannot be stifled, and there is no way of finding out what happened without venturing forth to examine that strange obelisk, twin to the one found on Earth’s moon.

I loved 2001: A Space Odyssey, m
Arron Baker
I'm going to keep this review relatively short considering I've only just finished the book. Obviously if you're reading "2010: Second Odyssey" you'll have either read/watched '2001' and because of this you may go into 2010 with expectations of extraterrestrial manipulations on a cosmic scale that encompasses the fate of mankind. And 2010 does achieve this, however it's first half or so focuses on human interaction - namely between the crew members of the Leonov, which in itself is a thinly veil ...more
Perry Whitford
For a decade after '2001:A Space Odyssey', Arthur C. Clarke considered a follow-up novel to be - in his own words - 'clearly impossible'.
Then, fortunately, he changed his mind.

Relegated to a teaching position nine years after the disaster of the Discovery mission to Jupiter, Heywood Floyd is presented with an unlikely opportunity to atone for the guilt he feels for the deaths of the crew and the unexplained mystery of Dave Bowman's disappearance.

An historic joint Russo-American mission is conc
Travis
While not as surreal and cosmic as 2001, this one tells us a story of space exploration that uses hard science to show us the wonder of our own solar system. Even before the aliens show up, Clarke shows you that the part of space right near us is big and cosmic and full of more amazing stuff than any Star Trek episode.

It is the new frontier and once we go out there, we are on our own and have to deal with whatever we stumble across.
An amazing series.
Rodrigo Aguerre
He escuchado muchas criticas sobre este libro y siempre tuve la idea de que como pasa normalmente, la segunda parte de una obra maestra era mala. La verdad que me gusto mucho, incluso me gusto mas que el primero, se complementa muy bien y ayuda a bajar a tierra un montón de cosas que en el primer libro de la saga quedan demasiado abiertas y divagantes. (view spoiler) ...more
  • Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)
  • Manifold: Time (Manifold, #1)
  • Eternity (The Way, #2)
  • Venus
  • Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2)
  • Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy, #3)
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End The Fountains of Paradise The City and the Stars

“What was more, they had taken the first step toward genuine friendship. They had exchanged vulnerabilities.” 135 likes
“After their encounter on the approach to Jupiter, there would aways be a secret bond between them---not of love, but of tenderness, which is often more enduring.” 89 likes