Start by marking “The Altar of the Dead, The Beast in the Jungle, the Birthplace & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Altar of the Dead, The Beast in the Jungle, the Birthplace & Other Stories

The Altar of the Dead, The Beast in the Jungle, the Birthplace & Other Stories

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  11 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The private life - Owen Wingrave - The friends of the friends - Sir Edmund Orme - The real right thing - The jolly corner - Julia Bride.
Published June 30th 2008 by Johnson Press (first published 1908)

Be the first to ask a question about The Altar of the Dead, The Beast in the Jungle, the Birthplace & Other Stories

Chris
Aug 03, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
The Beast In the Jungle is supposedly one of James’ best short stories, and it served as my introduction to his work. I was very impressed with the deftness of his literary play in psychological depths, conversational labyrinths, and sociological jungles [wink].

Learning his discursive and intermittent sentences—a splicing of myriad thoughts that flow back and forth through clarifications, qualifications, and endless expansions of ideas mid-sentence—can be quite a task, and can give you a headach
Corrie
Feb 02, 2008 Corrie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: 2008-reads
I picked up my old copy of James Henry this week and delved into his short story "The Altar of the Dead" because I realized I never read it. I'm intrigued by the story and have the last two chapters to read (tonight, perhaps?)
His writing is brilliant. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the Beast in the Jungle and The Turn of the Screw. Reading this story is bringing my love for those stories back.
Evrim
Feb 11, 2013 Evrim rated it it was amazing
I read The Beast in the Jungle and The Altar of the Dead. But The Beast in the Jungle is my favorite.
ultraviolet
Read The Real Thing and The Beast in the Jungle
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Tarantel
Tarantel rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Therese
Therese rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Foxglove Zayuri
Foxglove Zayuri marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Alenta
Alenta marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
Melissa Jackson
Melissa Jackson rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Tjeerd Elias-van der Heide
Tjeerd Elias-van der Heide rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
Christopher James
Christopher James rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
JoAnn
JoAnn rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Linda Moore
Linda Moore marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2011
Deannelovesbooks
Deannelovesbooks marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2010
Gabriela Alonso
Gabriela Alonso rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2009
Henry James, OM, son of theologian Henry James Sr., brother of the philosopher and psychologist William James and diarist Alice James, was an American-born author, one of the founders and leaders of a school of realism in fiction. He spent much of his life in England and became a British subject shortly before his death. He is primarily known for a series of major novels in which he portrayed the ...more
More about Henry James...