Start by marking “The Society” as Want to Read:
The Society

The Society

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,015 ratings  ·  88 reviews
With every one of his ten novels a New York Times bestseller, emergency medicine physician Michael Palmer is recognized by critics and fans worldwide as a master of medical suspense. Now Palmer delivers a relentless thriller that slices to our deepest fears with surgical precision—a tale as timely as it is terrifying, as harrowing as it is plausible. Welcome to The Society ...more
Published August 17th 2004 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Society

Patrice Hoffman
I always enjoy medical novels by this author. I feel so smart afterwards as if I can go into any E.R. and start spouting off medical lingo. Then again, I feel that way after watching an episode of House. Enough about me... the book is definitely worth picking up. It's primarily about a doctor a part of the Hippocrates Society who is against the big HMOs caring more about money and profits than the patients. There's a little bit of a romance brewing in the background which wasn't prevalent enough ...more
Mary Beth
An excellent medical thriller about the danger of HMO's. While I think HMO's are a poor option for our medical crises, I still do not support socialized medicine and never will. Even though, I disagreed with the theme of the novel, I really enjoyed the thriller.
Bonniecco cco
This ten year old book still has lots of good commentary on our medical payment system, decent characters and plot. The bad guys in this story may not be (did they exist in real life) bad enough to get us to a single payer health care system in today's political climate. In the novel they were. This is my first book by Palmer; I expect I'll try some more. He seems to know the world of medicine well. I enjoyed the story. It has a bit of sex, but not graphic, and the same for violence. The plot is ...more
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
pretty good mystery, still a little too actiony for my taste
Jerry
Action packed thrills; good doctor and lady cop fight HMO's!

We have enjoyed most of Michael Palmer's medical thrillers, finding them to be entertaining stories with realistic premises about dangers to us all that could happen in the field of doctors, hospitals, and pharmaceutics. His latest novel, "The Society", has it all: villainous rich men guiding HMO's to make money against all standards of decency toward their patients; an innocent doctor, who protests against HMO's by night, gets drugged
Mohamed
This book talks about the dangers of the American health care system. The story begins with a view into the life of a young surgeon, Will Grant.He is a divorced father of two children. The most astonishing fact about will is that he is a member of a secret society- The Hippocratic society. The main objective of this society is to recapture the society from the grips of the Managed healthcare industry.

At the same time, several MHO executives were murdered in a similar fashion. The killer phoned t
Karen
This was a pretty good mystery. I caught on to what was really happening about half way through the book, so to me that is pretty good. I hate when I figure it out too quickly. Once I figured it out, I did think the plot was predictable. I do like Palmer's writing style and I can tell that he knew what he is talking about in terms of the medical aspect.

Dr. Will Grant is an upstanding doctor who loves his kids, actually cares about his patients and is fighting the evils of Managed Health Care. Wh
Tessa Small
The war between government medicare and the private healthcare systems comes to the for in this novel which includes murder, suspense and medical intrigue all for the sake of money and power. Doctors lives are wiped out, patient needs are not considered it is all about the bottom line for the medical companies covering the costs. Well written and intriguing
Daniel
The book was obviously written by someone that understands the health care system in this country. Will Grant find himself caught up in the struggle to change this system. The "bad guys" certainly were able to get away with a lot for a long while but it added to the excitement of the book
Carol
Another good Palmer medical mystery. Managed care is a real hot button right now and this one is all about those people in charge of it and how their concerns are only for the bottom line. Someone is trying to "manage" the bottom line of the managed care business and a very determined young detective will not let go and with the help of a doctor who has been "managed" right out of his medical license they figure out what is going on and solve the mystery.

Getting old has its advantages, I can rea
Amanda
Interesting and relevant topic, so I was hopeful. But the characters were cardboard and cliche, with awful dialog. It gets two stars because the storyline was decent enough to keep me reading to find out what happened.
Cathy Jarvis
I am definitely a fan of this author and his writing style. This is the 4th book I have read by this author and I enjoy that I am intrigued from page one!
Gail Arthur-Davis
WOW!!!
this was a really good book! I don't think I have read this author before, but I intend to look for other books by him.
Buckeye_reader
Good story. Kept moving at a good pace, enough surprises to make it interesting.
barry
lots of action...great read
Dale Marshall
Fantastic,a real page turner
Evelyn
The basic story line was good but the ending was preposterous.
Keith
While I found the story was as relevant today as it was several years ago and it moved right along I felt a couple of inconsistencies kept it from shining. Did the nurse or an EMT do the intubation, depends on which character you get the story from. How does a state detective know that camp site well and also need directions to it? At least the description of the Whipple procedure jived with my limited understanding. Thank you for using that one, the only one I know about. It made me feel smart ...more
Alan
Feb 03, 2014 Alan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cd, own
Kindle: $5.99
Debi
This took me a while to get into. But once again I was glad I did. A series of murders of higher-ups of HMOs causes police to try to find a serial killer targeting managed care company executives. A surgeon who is part of a society against managed care finds himself a suspect in their murder investigation. He tries to clear his name and keep from getting killed himself as he discovers the truth.
A fast-paced, suspense novel. Recommended.
Rushbug23
This was a ok book. Some twists and turns. Some action.
Heather
This book was decent. I guess I wasexpecting a little more, as the only other Michael Palmer novel I have read is The Fifth Vial and I thought that was excellent. I felt the dialogue in The Society was a little strained and maybe that made it a little less believable. But this was still a very entertaining and quick read, although I did figure out who was behind everything about halfway through.
Valley Cottage Library
SUMMER READING REVIEW: "Three CEOs of Health Insurance firms are murdered. Why? Dr. Will Grant and Detective Patty Moriarity band together to find the assassins who are cunning and ruthless. The negative aspects of managed care HMOs are highlighted in this fast-paced thriller. The ending takes a surprising twist as to the identities of the assassins and the perils of managed care." -Audrey DuBovy
Silvia
May 29, 2008 Silvia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jen
I'm just loving his books.... medical thrillers are just what I need from time to time :) Michael Palmer is not quite as eloquent as Ken Follett but with his medical background - he was a practitioner of internal and emergency medicine for 20 years - he is just the right guy to put those stories of suspense around the clinical setting together. They capture me time and again....
Deborah Hamilton
This book was a very fun read. It just flowed very naturally from page to page. The reader becomes absorbed in the story of Dr. Grant being framed. Just when you think you have everything figured out, everything changes! So be prepared for the turn of the century! A wonderful story based on the injustice of HMOs and the struggles of Doctors who are working for the patient.
Jen
A medical mystery about HMO's, doctors and the patients they are supposed to serve. Reading this felt a little timely with the current health-care crisis and the author had some interesting points to make. However, the characters were thinly developed and the language was foul and sexual content gratuitous enough that I won't pick up another of his books.
Ally Marie
This was a very difficult story to get into and reading about HMO’s just makes me think of all the awful crap I have dealt with insurance companies working in the medical field. I was very bored with the storyline and the characters. I managed to read until chapter 7 before skimming to the end to see if my early prediction was accurate…which it was.
Babete
Excelente thriller médico com muita acção!
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • The Inquisitor (Dr. Earl Garnet, #5)
  • Pandemic
  • Saving Cascadia
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He
More about Michael Palmer...
Silent Treatment Natural Causes The Last Surgeon Fatal The First Patient