Start by marking “Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)

Stormwalker (Stormwalker #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  4,046 ratings  ·  332 reviews
Book One of a the Stormwalker series. Allyson James also writes as NYT Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley

Half-Navajo Janet Begay possesses extraordinary power which is tied to the storms that waft across the desert. The only person who can control her when she's caught in the storm's evocative power is Mick, a dark-haired, blue-eyed biker Janet can't seem to touch with her...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Stormwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormwalker

Kat Kennedy
I really enjoyed this novel with the sole exception of one character - Nash Jones actually goes out of his way to terrorize the protagonist of this story, Janet Begay (I did not fucking make that name up, by the way!)

Their first meeting is after an accident in which a truck was knocked off the road and Janet's motorcycle crashes. Nash shows up and immediately arrests Janet for reckless driving that killed the man in the car even though she totally didn't. His theory is that her motorcyle crashed...more
new_user
Yeehaw! Marty, I've found another series to follow!

I enjoyed Stormwalker- what more need be said?

I can say that Mick is hot. Mick's got skeelz. While some may argue that their most passionate moments are past tense, I love that Janet and Mick have history. They have more to stand on than hormones, and I like the sensation of dropping into a rich, fully-developed story over starting from scratch (i.e. uninitiated narrators) where the information and experiences one can absorb from page one to bo...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Ok, ok, we've read it all before! You want your heroine to be able to control the weather? Try Ill Wind and the rest of the Weather Warden series. The worldbuilding is so much better there. Want a mysterious boyfriend of unknown species? Try the Fever series. At least there you won’t be able to guess what Barrons is after about a hundred pages. Want a murderous parent with way too much power? You’ll have more fun reading Magic Bites and the rest of the series, Vicki Pettersson’s Zodiac series or...more
Catherine
I was pretty underwhelmed by this book. The description made it sound interesting, but the characters were kind of a let down for me.

Janet Begay is a Stormwalker. She can ride a storm and draw power from it, but usually she ends up with the short end of the stick. She's helpless to resist the power of the storm and usually ends up sick and exhausted after it passes. She doesn't like that aspect much, but she's learning to deal.

Janet heads to Magellan with the excuse of helping the police chief s...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
The characters:

Janet, Mick, Coyote, and the cop Nash Jones

The story:

Janet Begay, a half Navajo Stormwalker, can call the power of any storm and manipulate it to her liking. The Navajo and Stormwalker side of her is from her father. Her mother, an evil Goddess in a place called the Beneath, wants Janet to join with her so they can rule the Beneath AND with their combined powers, take over the world.

Janet not only has the physical struggles against the evil that has been unleashed by her mother...more
Vered
An unexpected treat. Very good story, great h/h (strong yet not bitchy annoying heroine) and fun secondary characters ( I love you Nash!! ). But there was something more, something about the writing itself - sexy writing. Not just the sex scenes (oh and those lovely dreams), but there was something about the writing that just makes you feel mmmm mmmmm mmm.. And that's the best I can do at this hour, and after a long long day.

It's defenitly a go read book.
Tori [Bottles of Summer]
Wow. Just wow. I had originally thought that the Native American female lead was soon becoming overused. I thought: okay, the concept of the story sounds interesting, but this Janet character probably wont stand a chance against Mercy Thompson or Jane Yellowrock. How very wrong I was.

If anything, I must concede now that Janet holds this certain type of allure that neither Jane nor Mercy have. I've always been attracted to the types of characters who have some elemental powers, and Janet Begay's...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Ugh.

I nearly DNF-ed this at 10%.

After being attacked on the road by a demon, Janet Begay (yes, that's really her name) is arrested for involuntary manslaughter/assault with a deadly weapon when an innocent bystander is killed in the attack.

Except not really.

She's never Mirandized. She's never actually told she's being arrested. She's just cuffed and thrown into the back of the local jackhole sheriff's SUV, and told she's being taken in for questioning. When they get to the station, Jackhole tos...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Okay, wow. This book is fantastic! I'm not a huge fan of Urban Fiction, not by a long shot. I love Briggs' Mercy Thompson and I love Moning's Mac Lane. But most others, not so much. But this book? Fantastic. Jennifer Ashley/Allyson James is a great writer, she has written several of my favorite paranormal romances ever, and some studly Highlanders while she's at it. And I will be waiting on bated breath until Nov. 2nd when Firewalker is released.

Janet Begay is a Stormwalker. She can harness the...more
Rhonda
FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!! 3.5 STARS
This book was a lot of fun, I liked Janet our heroine. Smart, and strong yet a little vulnerable too. Janet is a Stormwalker able to harness and use the power of storms. Her mysterious boyfriend Mick is a badass Firewalker and he's very much in love with Janet, willing to sacrifice his own life for hers. Maya a tough girl electrician who is working for Janet, they have a very strained relationship. I loved the bantering between Maya and Janet. I really liked the Nat...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

There is a lot to like about Allyson James first book in her new Stormwalker series. The stunning cover art by Tony Mauro is just the beginning. The world building involves a Native American twist on the four elements: Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, and a mythological history of earth. The main character, Janet Begay, is a Stormwalker. When a storm rages, Janet becomes essentially an X-man (minus the creepy white eyes and comic book spandex).

I did...more
Mandi Schreiner
Reviewed by Tori

Favorite quote: "I swing both ways honey. I'm an equal opportunity mirror."

Janet Begay is a Stormwalker. She is able to harness and manipulate the power in storms. It is a raw elemental power that often overwhelms her. Mick, her black hair blue eyed lover, is the only one who can ignite her passions while calming the storm within her.

Shera (Book Whispers)
Thougths:
I've been putting off this review for a while now, because I had mixed feelings about how to rate it and what I actually thought of it. Like all things time is all you need. After reading it I though this book rocked, then after a bit I thought it was kind of average.

Native American themes and ideas have always interested me. Not too many PNR have included Native American themes and ideas, so I was an eager reader for Stormwalker.

The whole mythology was great. The idea of the element po...more
Carolyn F.
Pleasantly surprised by this book. This is an alias for Jennifer Ashley and I wasn't sure if she would be able to write this type of character. I love her historical romance books and her shifter series but I thought it would be like a copycat of Jane Yellowrock or Mercedes Thompson. I was wrong. I loved all the characters and the romance was a nice change of pace.

Janet is a stormwalker with a not so nice hereditary gift from her mom, a goddess from "Beneath". She moves to where it all began whe...more
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
4.72

Once upon a time I read the first two books in Rachel Caine's "Weather Warden" series. I subsequently forgot what those two books were about and thus stopped reading any more of the series. I will go back to it but that's neither here nor there.

If the WW series had been as engrossing and engaging as Janet's story then perhaps I would have stuck with it. I say this because this book shares some similarities with the WW series and I simply want to get that out of the way.

I was surprised about...more
Ana
Wow.

The book was pretty great. For anyone expecting a paranormal romance it would be a miss, but for an UF it's terrific.

Janet, our heroine, is a Stormwalker (she can control the storms), whose mother happens to be a Beneath (think hell) goddess. She comes to Magellan mainly to confront her. Also, she is looking for Amy, a woman that went missing a year ago, and at the same time decides to renovate a broken-down hotel. A busy girl Janet. Like that isn't enough her mysterious ex-boyfriend Mick sh...more
Cathy
4.5 stars. I got intrigued by this series when I read a story from later on in the series in Hexed, the story was really well done, it introduced terrific characters and the writing was great. It was one of the best stories/novellas that I've read and really proved the whole marketing concept behind the anthology idea because I immediately marked the rest of the series as top priority reads.

And I'm glad I did because I really liked this book, it has everything I enjoy in a story. The main chara...more
Alisha
Rating: 3.5
Not a bad series start! This is a very western-America-centric book, starring a Navajo stormwalker (you guessed it; she can control storms) named Janet Begay. Janet's proud of her Dine heritage and as such the book is flavored with Native American....uh...flavor. ^_^ Her big challenge in life is dealing with her evil-goddess mother's unwanted attentions; apparently, Janet's inherited some of her mother's considerable powers, and mommy dearest wants to use her to open up a sealed porta...more
Rashika (is tired)
Definitely not my cup of tea.
My main issue was the romance, it has an almost unhealthy like quality to it. There are so many problems in their relationship and most of them aren't even noticed. Although I do have to admire the main character for the fact that she at least realizes that she deserves explanations. Nash is a pain in the ass. He is just outright annoying, how can she care for a dude who holds a grudge against her and doesn't even have a genuine reason to do so? Messed up shiz.
The pl...more
Aleksandra
Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;)
Holy crap, this was so good! I loved this book! At first, it reminded me a lot of the Dark Swan books. Strong female protagonist, that lives in the desert and yields storm magic? Not that I was complaining, I LOVE the Dark Swan books. But, once I got further through the book, I realized those were the only similarities. The characters, setting, and plot just pulled me right into the story and it's all I can think about. Onto the next book!

EDIT: Also I forgot to add that I absolutely adore the (v...more
Cindy
Great read-action paranormal. It's a Coyote story, of course I loved it! But beyond that, it's beautifully written. The plot is page turning and the setting is warmly evocative of the Southwest areas near the Navajo Reservation. The characters are rich and sometimes quirky. You've got to love the magic mirror with lust on it's mind, Sheriff Nash who is so rigidly determined to remain an unbeliever, and of course there's Coyote...

The heroine has issues that make 'Mommy, Dearest' look like the Wal...more
Kt
Mar 10, 2011 Kt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: hardcopy
Janet, a powerful Stormwalker, has been running from her past and a mother who wants to enslave her for her evils purposes for a very long time. However, when she gets a job to investigate a suspicious disappearance near her mother's reach, she knows it's time to step up and face her "demons." She'll need the help of her long absent lover, Mick as well as some tricks up her sleeve to resist temptation and take down the greatest force of evil she's ever known.

From the start of the book it is obvi...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
I can only give this book 3 stars. This book is certainly more Urban Fantasy than Paranormal Romance (spine). I personally just do not seem to like Urban Fantasy. If you like that genre certainly pick up this book. James does an incredible job with the characters and world that she has developed for this series. There is plenty of action and the various areas were the conflict comes from is great. The book flows well and has enough turmoil that you keep turning the pages. The sex scenes in this...more
~Megan~
Very nice start to a new UF series! Finding out Allyson James and Jennifer Ashley were one in the same had me moving this book up my TBR list. Janet is a Stormwalker and command the power of storms when they come around. The book opens with her being chased by a Skinwalker and doesn't really slow down at any point. I love the world James has built here, very heavily influenced by the Native American culture. The best thing about the book is Janet's on-again/off-again boyfriend, Mick, who can wie...more
Donna
I loved every single element about this book, the setting, a new world build around I familiar with yet having some many exciting pockets of mystery that need exploring. There are colorful characters from the main ones to the secondary ones were all over this book, even yummy ones like Mick whose Janet love from the past.

I found the mystery build around the investigation of the disappearance of the sheriff's daughter built up superbly. There were so many twists and caveats that anyone could be...more
smexys_sidekick (Tori-Smexybooks)
Favorite quote: "I swing both ways honey. I'm an equal opportunity mirror."

Janet has come to the desert town of Magellan at the request of the police chief to look into the mysterious disappearance of his daughter Amy. Located in this town...more
Sandra
For a first in series book this one was great. I tossed up giving it 4 or 5 stars, and finally went with 4 as I know this series will just get better.

Janet Begay, part Navajo, part goddess is a Stormwalker. This book is a mystery and a journey of discovery for Janet, who doesn't know who her mother really is. (Stormwalker power is actually from the Navajo side of the family)

The mystery is where is Amy McGuire; the Police Chief's daughter has disaappeared a year ago and they've exhausted all the...more
Olivia ツ
I hate it when I read a book with so much promise and it develops to nothing. Janet is a stormwalker. She draws energy from the elements. She's Navajo with a mysterious past. At first I thought I had foudn another kickass female warrior but Janet wasn't much of that. She's being pursued for her powers and yet I didn't find much about her to be powerful. Mick is her hot alpha male who she was a steamy past with and is hellbent on protecting her.

The main problem with this was that I didn't connect...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
Buddy reading with Michelle.

Michelle and i have come to the conclusion that this was a horrid book and should be burned lol but seriously it was really bad. the relationships between the characters was weak and shallow and the characters themselves were no better. the story line was terrible. i have no idea how someone screws up a book when it has a dragon and a magic mirror in it but this author manage to succeed that impossible feat. so i wont be reading the next book in this series.

this book...more
The Urban Fixation: Stormwalker (Stormwalker #1) 2 13 Nov 05, 2013 03:03PM
Insomnia Book Club: Stormwalker by Allyson James 15 1 Apr 29, 2013 05:53AM
Interracial and A...: RC #24 Stormwalker 2 13 Feb 23, 2012 06:51PM
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Viper Moon (Earth Witches, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Black Wings (Black Wings, #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • Spellbent (Jessie Shimmer, #1)
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
  • Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Afterlight (Dark Ink Chronicles, #1)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Truthseeker (Worldwalker Duology, #1)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
Allyson James writes paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and erotic romance (paranormal and futuristic). She is a nationally bestselling author, a multiple RITA nominee, an RT Award winner, and a Prism winner. She also writes romance (paranormal and historical) as Jennifer Ashley. See Allyson's website for current and upcoming books. See also Allyson's GoodReads bookshelves for all books under all...more
More about Allyson James...
Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2) Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1) Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) Rees (Tales of the Shareem, #1) The Black Dragon (Dragon #2)

“Why are you still so damned protective of me?:
“You have to ask?”
“I do.”
Mick came closer still, until his face hung an inch from mine. “If you have to ask, then you wouldn’t believe my answer.” He drew away and continued wiping my hands.”
15 likes