Start by marking “Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)” as Want to Read:
Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)

Undaunted (Kris Longknife #7)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,637 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Kris Longknife encounters some peaceful aliens who have come to warn humanity of an unidentifiable force that is roaming the galaxy, obliterating everything in its path a path now leading directly toward the human worlds.
Published October 27th 2009 by Ace Books (first published September 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Undaunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undaunted

I was a bit weirded out by the Ron/Kris aspects - I kept expecting there to be some sort of "oh, they're releasing pheromones" explanation but nothing. He's a frog. A FROG! It was weird AND unnecessary. Sorry, rant over. But that is why this is really a 3.75 stars review rounded up to four. I liked the addition of the Iteeche otherwise, it would be odd for two sentient species not to keep tabs on each other, especially after conflict, so it made sense to me. Also good to see Kris finally suffer ...more
Jean Poulos
This is book seven in the Longknife series. Kris and crew aboard the exploratory ship USS Wasp have blundered into an encounter with an Iteechee vessel. The Iteechee is the race with which humanity had a war 80 years previously. They are so mysterious the cause of the war is still unknown. Kris’ great- grandparents King Raymond and General “Trouble” both fought in the war. The Iteechee death ball vessel wants to speak to Kris, as an envoy from great-grandfather King Ray to plea for galactic safe ...more
Jan 31, 2011 Carolyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Dave Weber and Elizabeth Moon space opera
An interesting installment in the series. The ending tells you exactly where book #8 is going and why, so I'll be reading that one, but otherwise this one really leaves a major plot line hanging, which is unusual for these books.

The blurb on this book is also incorrect - or at least a book or two too early. The aliens don't come bringing word of a threat to all humanity, but rather of a threat to them, described as being at the furthest possible distance from humanity, on the other side of the
It was nice to come back to such a good series at last. This book was definitely an good read and continued the quality of the whole series. Of course, as this series progresses Shepherd has started to introduce more and more aliens into a series that started off predominantly as Military Sci-Fi. At first I thought that this was a very bad move on his part, however having now read this book I am starting to see how it works and must admit that it follows on and seems right for the series. My big ...more
For those of you familiar with the Kris Longknife series from Mike Shepherd, this book has the least amount of military action of any so far. That said, I really enjoyed what Shepherd has done with bringing in the Itechee, the "bug" villains from the previous generation's defining war. While he spends a lot of time developing their character and culture which I found fascinating, there are some issues I had with the story, mostly a few situations that were so sparsely described I had a hard time ...more
The seventh book in the Kris Longknife series has Kris still in charge of the exploratory ship Wasp. She blunders into an encounter with an Iteechee vessel. The Iteechee are a race with which humanity had a war 80 years previously. They sp mysterious that the causes of the war are still essentially unknown. Naturally, Kris’ great-grandparents Raymond Longknife and “Trouble” were involved at the time.

This is one of the better installments. Good strong plot even though it does take a massive detou
Harrington >~ Vorkosigan >~ Longknife >~ Elizabeth Moon
#2> #1 > #7
Interesting developments related to the Aliens. Illogical relation starts to develop. Tuning down one 'Deus' but creating a lot of children. Not the strongest in the series but interesting enough to continue with #8 and #9.
Matthew Whitehead
This one was interesting ...

In the full sense of the old bit about the curse of living in interesting times. Nothing is clear anymore this series gives you just enough back story and history and assumptions to turn around and blow it all away.
Princess and Lieutenant Kristine Longknife activates a political maelstrom when she brings onboard her explorer ship Iteeche Imperial Representative. Why does the member of an enemy race want to meet with her grandpa, King Ray? Ron, the taciturn official, won’t say, except that the grave matter concerns both their peoples. This meeting opens up a can of worms that King Ray is reluctant to expose, so instead he sends Kris on an out of the way mission to Texarkana to quell the flames of political ...more
Kris Longknife's Wasp is flying out on the rim exploring different worlds when on jump lands them in deep water and unexpected company. This one is one just made my favorites list as Mike Shepherd has delivered another great read.
Randy Mccallum
More adventures of 'those damn Longknifes'. In this installment we meet members of the Iteechee race whom humanity had a long and violent war with 80 years ago. Not everything as it seems as we find out throughout the book between the two races.
Enjoyable expansion of the Longknife universe.
Gregor Eder
A great book from this series, but not as good as others. Maybe cause there are to many plots squeezed in one novella. Maybe cause the whole Iteechie-Interaction was to smooth and Kris literally flirting with the old enemie seems a little to much.
2nd nicest guy happens to be an alien, where the first is in her command. Trouble, and not her grandpa.
Stephen Graham
I'd prefer to give this two and a half stars rather than three. Once again it's two novellas rather than a novel. The political novella centered around the Iteeche is an interesting look at the backstory of the universe, though the cultural baggage of the Empire is pedestrian. The second novella is distinctly poorer; the questions raised within it as to the identity and motivations of the villains are essentially ignored. There's also no particular reason that the Texarkana episode occurred at t ...more
Kris almost got killed which makes this the best book so far. Actually bringing in the aliena (at last) makes this a very interesting book

Several short stories joined together, all pretty good, a little predictable but with enough twists and turns to keep things going

A good universe, all seens to work quite well. Book fits right in

Simple but readable

The book sets up the next book so from that point of view the ending is poor ... but the next book is avail
I did understand the need to finally incorporate the Iteeche aliens into the plot and it started off well - and even the ongoing interactions were plausible and well suited to build on for future books.

BUT - some of the things that Kris Longknife thinks and does are a bit... odd. They do help to explain her lonliness a little, but in a context that is... odd.

It didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the book, so I can still recommend this book as a page turner in the same vein as the rest.
Somewhat light on the action compared to other books in the series. We get to meet the Iteeche, the race of aliens that nearly wiped out humanity some 80 years before. And things are not what they seem. (are they ever?)

Lots more talking in this book than normal, and we only get one ground-based battle that's really little more than a skirmish. But the characterisations are good and there are some interesting turns. Good build-up for the next book, but not one to read out of sequence.

There's also
Like all the Longknife books, I want to read the next one already. In this particular book, we finally meet the Itchee, the alien race that Kris's great grandfathers, Ray Longknife and General Trouble fought 80 years earlier. Probably the most interesting part of this book is the introduction of this fearsome foe and the humanization of them.

As usual, Kris is sent to trouble shoot problems in this story fitting the previous formula of sorts that Shepherd uses.

Overall, a good story.
Friedrich Haas
Some interesting developments, and character changes as death comes close.
Laz the Sailor
This entry on the series is more of a transitional story, closing off some earlier story lines and setting up some new ones. Our favorite Princess still gets her self shot at and blown up, but the depth of the problems and intensity of the battles are greatly reduced.

Still, it's well written, and there is further development of the core characters and their interactions. So read it to stay on track, but consider it a rest stop between adventures.
Per Gunnar
This book series is really a bumpy ride. This one is definitely a downhill one. Most of the book is planetbound and political bla bla. The concept of the some "peaceful aliens", who turn out to be the Iteeche, and a powerful enemy sounded promising but nothing is really done with that in the book It's almost a side story.

I would say that the official short description of this book is not at all correct.
Kris computer Nelly decides to have children, aliens come back to human space after eighty year absence, but this time they don't want war, but carry grimm message and Kris must go to solve cowboy planets problems and is nearly blown to nothingness.

So again we have fast pace space adventure with many twists anf turns.
I have to admit I enjoy reading the series. It is fun, but when one stops to think about this one starts to wonder that the advancement of technology would produce individuals who would not use it. Nice lead in to the next in the series and if I can get it at the library I might read it.
Another fun book. We have another addition to the crew who is wonderful and we get to know more about the Aliens granpas fought in this book. It is getting formulatic and sometimes predictable, but the banters between the people and Kris doing her best is still a fun read.
John Carter McKnight
A fun entry in an entertaining space opera series. Much lighter on action than usual, but a major series plot development and an intriguing new character. A transitional book between the adventures of a junior officer and multiple long story lines for a woman who's come of age.
Ron Holmes
This is number 7 in the series and the last one until the next book is finished. It has all the twists and turns that make a book interesting. We are starting to think about sex, but no actual sex yet. It is a good read and enjoyable.
Getting curiouser and curiouser. A visit from an old enemy and a mission to protect the Society sends Kris on a mission that, once again, almost takes her life. Looking forward to some grand new adventures and a potential new enemy.
Mike Abrahams
Definitely a few surprises in this and the aliens are well thought through.
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • The Price of Peace (Jump Universe, #2)
  • Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Milor! (A Galaxy Unknown, #5)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'
More about Mike Shepherd...

Kris Longknife (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Defender (Kris Longknife, #11)