Start by marking “Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)” as Want to Read:
Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)

Undaunted (Kris Longknife #7)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  2,178 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Kris Longknife encounters some peaceful aliens who have come to warn humanity of an unidentifiable force that is roaming the galaxy, obliterating everything in its path a path now leading directly toward the human worlds.
Published October 27th 2009 by Ace Books (first published September 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Undaunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undaunted

Jacob Proffitt
Jan 13, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It would have been nice if the series had stayed at the five-star mark, but I can't honestly be disappointed. This one is on the high side of the four stars, and I'm happy with it. I was worried that adding aliens (as mentioned in the blurb, so not a spoiler) would seem like authorial desperation and I'm happy to report that it didn't feel that way at all while reading.

And while it had two mostly orthogonal storylines as well, the first lingered (in a good way) and that made a big difference in
Dee
Feb 13, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit weirded out by the Ron/Kris aspects - I kept expecting there to be some sort of "oh, they're releasing pheromones" explanation but nothing. He's a frog. A FROG! It was weird AND unnecessary. Sorry, rant over. But that is why this is really a 3.75 stars review rounded up to four. I liked the addition of the Iteeche otherwise, it would be odd for two sentient species not to keep tabs on each other, especially after conflict, so it made sense to me. Also good to see Kris finally suffer ...more
Aaron Anderson
This is where I give up. Mildly rebelling personal computers, 12 year olds on dangerous space voyages that can't be given up because she's become a mascot. This crap just keeps getting more and more annoying to me. I want to slap 9/10ths of the characters.
Carolyn
Aug 30, 2010 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Dave Weber and Elizabeth Moon space opera
An interesting installment in the series. The ending tells you exactly where book #8 is going and why, so I'll be reading that one, but otherwise this one really leaves a major plot line hanging, which is unusual for these books.

The blurb on this book is also incorrect - or at least a book or two too early. The aliens don't come bringing word of a threat to all humanity, but rather of a threat to them, described as being at the furthest possible distance from humanity, on the other side of the
Tim
Jul 19, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat light on the action compared to other books in the series. We get to meet the Iteeche, the race of aliens that nearly wiped out humanity some 80 years before. And things are not what they seem. (are they ever?)

Lots more talking in this book than normal, and we only get one ground-based battle that's really little more than a skirmish. But the characterisations are good and there are some interesting turns. Good build-up for the next book, but not one to read out of sequence.

There's also
Barb in Maryland
Well, it finally happened. I just totally lost interest about a fourth of the way through this book and didn't pick it up again. Sorry Kris--good luck in your future adventures, but I just won't be along for the ride.
Dan
A good read! 4 solid stars.
Russ Holthaus
Feb 26, 2017 Russ Holthaus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Under secret circumstances adventure continues

I am loving the continuing mission and circumstances following our heroine and her team. Enemies at the door and politicians confusing all. Thru meeting an old enemy to bombs with cowboys the adventure continues . Enjoyable reading thanks Mr Sheppard.
James
Sep 27, 2011 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to come back to such a good series at last. This book was definitely an good read and continued the quality of the whole series. Of course, as this series progresses Shepherd has started to introduce more and more aliens into a series that started off predominantly as Military Sci-Fi. At first I thought that this was a very bad move on his part, however having now read this book I am starting to see how it works and must admit that it follows on and seems right for the series. My big ...more
Unwisely
Jean Poulos
This is book seven in the Longknife series. Kris and crew aboard the exploratory ship USS Wasp have blundered into an encounter with an Iteechee vessel. The Iteechee is the race with which humanity had a war 80 years previously. They are so mysterious the cause of the war is still unknown. Kris’ great- grandparents King Raymond and General “Trouble” both fought in the war. The Iteechee death ball vessel wants to speak to Kris, as an envoy from great-grandfather King Ray to plea for galactic safe ...more
Michael
Apr 11, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 7th book in the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd/Mike Moscoe. In this one Kris and her friends have been patrolling the outlying "sooner" colonies for pirates and studying new jump points with her crew of marines and scientists. It's on the way back from one such experimental jump that Kris finds herself face to face with an Iteeche death ball, being chased and fired upon by two Greenfield cruisers. She runs the Greenfield cruisers off and after making contact with the Iteeche' ...more
Trickey
Nov 18, 2009 Trickey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
For those of you familiar with the Kris Longknife series from Mike Shepherd, this book has the least amount of military action of any so far. That said, I really enjoyed what Shepherd has done with bringing in the Itechee, the "bug" villains from the previous generation's defining war. While he spends a lot of time developing their character and culture which I found fascinating, there are some issues I had with the story, mostly a few situations that were so sparsely described I had a hard time ...more
Andreas
The seventh book in the Kris Longknife series has Kris still in charge of the exploratory ship Wasp. She blunders into an encounter with an Iteechee vessel. The Iteechee are a race with which humanity had a war 80 years previously. They sp mysterious that the causes of the war are still essentially unknown. Naturally, Kris’ great-grandparents Raymond Longknife and “Trouble” were involved at the time.

This is one of the better installments. Good strong plot even though it does take a massive detou
Nancy
Jan 06, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Princess and Lieutenant Kristine Longknife activates a political maelstrom when she brings onboard her explorer ship Iteeche Imperial Representative. Why does the member of an enemy race want to meet with her grandpa, King Ray? Ron, the taciturn official, won’t say, except that the grave matter concerns both their peoples. This meeting opens up a can of worms that King Ray is reluctant to expose, so instead he sends Kris on an out of the way mission to Texarkana to quell the flames of political ...more
Joe Slavinsky
Jan 16, 2016 Joe Slavinsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things just keep getting more exciting for our intrepid heroine! Her Great-grandfather, "King" of the United Sentients group of planets, keeps putting her in charge of solving his biggest problems, which usually involves plenty of military mayhem. Now, however, she's stumbled upon a ship of an old alien enemy, being shot at by one of her current enemies. What's a girl to do? This is some classic space opera/military science fiction, with excellent characters, and fast-paced plots, filled with a ...more
Stephen Graham
I'd prefer to give this two and a half stars rather than three. Once again it's two novellas rather than a novel. The political novella centered around the Iteeche is an interesting look at the backstory of the universe, though the cultural baggage of the Empire is pedestrian. The second novella is distinctly poorer; the questions raised within it as to the identity and motivations of the villains are essentially ignored. There's also no particular reason that the Texarkana episode occurred at t ...more
Roberta
Nov 18, 2009 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
Like all the Longknife books, I want to read the next one already. In this particular book, we finally meet the Itchee, the alien race that Kris's great grandfathers, Ray Longknife and General Trouble fought 80 years earlier. Probably the most interesting part of this book is the introduction of this fearsome foe and the humanization of them.

As usual, Kris is sent to trouble shoot problems in this story fitting the previous formula of sorts that Shepherd uses.

Overall, a good story.
BobA707
Feb 13, 2013 BobA707 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
Kris almost got killed which makes this the best book so far. Actually bringing in the aliena (at last) makes this a very interesting book

Plotline:
Several short stories joined together, all pretty good, a little predictable but with enough twists and turns to keep things going

Premise:
A good universe, all seens to work quite well. Book fits right in

Writing:
Simple but readable

Ending:
The book sets up the next book so from that point of view the ending is poor ... but the next book is avail
Nathan
I did understand the need to finally incorporate the Iteeche aliens into the plot and it started off well - and even the ongoing interactions were plausible and well suited to build on for future books.

BUT - some of the things that Kris Longknife thinks and does are a bit... odd. They do help to explain her lonliness a little, but in a context that is... odd.

It didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the book, so I can still recommend this book as a page turner in the same vein as the rest.
Laz the Sailor
Nov 12, 2013 Laz the Sailor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This entry on the series is more of a transitional story, closing off some earlier story lines and setting up some new ones. Our favorite Princess still gets her self shot at and blown up, but the depth of the problems and intensity of the battles are greatly reduced.

Still, it's well written, and there is further development of the core characters and their interactions. So read it to stay on track, but consider it a rest stop between adventures.
Per Gunnar
This book series is really a bumpy ride. This one is definitely a downhill one. Most of the book is planetbound and political bla bla. The concept of the some "peaceful aliens", who turn out to be the Iteeche, and a powerful enemy sounded promising but nothing is really done with that in the book It's almost a side story.

I would say that the official short description of this book is not at all correct.
Andrew
Feb 22, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-sci-fi
Beer bombs, aliens and moody computers what more could you want? In this book we finally mean the alien enemies we have been hearing about for so long and they have come for a interesting reason. We also get to meet with the cowboys of space and it is a interesting ride. Overall a good book and a set up to way bigger things to come.
Eero
Aug 21, 2012 Eero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Kris computer Nelly decides to have children, aliens come back to human space after eighty year absence, but this time they don't want war, but carry grimm message and Kris must go to solve cowboy planets problems and is nearly blown to nothingness.

So again we have fast pace space adventure with many twists anf turns.
Robin
May 04, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Getting curiouser and curiouser. A visit from an old enemy and a mission to protect the Society sends Kris on a mission that, once again, almost takes her life. Looking forward to some grand new adventures and a potential new enemy.
Trinity
Apr 04, 2012 Trinity rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
It spent a long time hinting that it was going somewhere, eventually... and then I ran out of pages. Granted, it seems like it's setting up a pretty big story arc to come, so I'll just have to wait and see.
Randy Mccallum
Apr 21, 2014 Randy Mccallum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More adventures of 'those damn Longknifes'. In this installment we meet members of the Iteechee race whom humanity had a long and violent war with 80 years ago. Not everything as it seems as we find out throughout the book between the two races.
Enjoyable expansion of the Longknife universe.
Ron Holmes
Aug 27, 2010 Ron Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is number 7 in the series and the last one until the next book is finished. It has all the twists and turns that make a book interesting. We are starting to think about sex, but no actual sex yet. It is a good read and enjoyable.
Gregor Eder
Nov 07, 2015 Gregor Eder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book from this series, but not as good as others. Maybe cause there are to many plots squeezed in one novella. Maybe cause the whole Iteechie-Interaction was to smooth and Kris literally flirting with the old enemie seems a little to much.
Lance
Nov 25, 2011 Lance rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I enjoy reading the series. It is fun, but when one stops to think about this one starts to wonder that the advancement of technology would produce individuals who would not use it. Nice lead in to the next in the series and if I can get it at the library I might read it.
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • The Price of Peace (Jump Universe, #2)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Valor at Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown #2)
  • Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)
  • Semper Human (Inheritance Trilogy, #3)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'
More about Mike Shepherd...

Kris Longknife (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Defender (Kris Longknife, #11)