Start by marking “Woof: A Love Story” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A dog is a dog
and a cat is a cat
And most of the time
it's as simple as that. . . .
Or is it?

What's a dog to do when he falls in love with the cat next door? Bark? Chase his tail? Dig up a "brass bone" and hope that the universal language of music will help him to express his feelings?

This humorous and heartfelt story is about the power of love and the power of music, told th
Published November 24th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Woof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woof

Kathryn
I love everything about this book for children. My son asked me to read twice in a row. (He's 4.)

This book is so sweet. It rhymes as well as Dr. Seuss, and offers a myriad of positive life lessons. It is a really adorable story about a dog who falls in love with a cat- but the cat can't understand anything he is saying. He says "I love you" but it just comes out as barking. He tries to tell her how beautiful she is, but it sounds like a growl etc.

This really darling story (great for valentines
Cassie
This is one book that parents and kids will be laughing out loud at together. In a collage style, the author presents a sweet story of a dog who proclaims his love to a cat but she only hears, “Woof!” until he finds another creative way to speak. Hilarious!
Melanie
A dog has certain things that dogs do: digging, scratching, barking, running, etc. This particular dog has other things in mind. He falls in love with a white cat. He proclaims his love, tells her she's beautiful. All she hears is "woof, woof, woof." Then he leaves. This makes the cat stop and think: instead of chasing me, he's leaving. Why?

In the meantime, the dog has dug up a "brass bone," (a trombone). The music he plays speaks right to the heart of the cat. Even though they can't understand
Nicole
Love the rhyming, the story is unusual, and the illustrations are filled with such whimsical detail that they're super fun to pour over. Pre-K.
Heather
Very strange, but rather cute. (Actually, even stranger is the blurb that goes up on library catalogs, "Despite a language barrier, a dog and cat fall in love with the help of a buried trombone." Huh?) Okay, so the point is that the dog speaks dog and the cat speaks cat, so while the dog is professing his love, it sounds like he is growling at the cat, and she runs away. The dog finds a buried "bone" (trombone) and plays the music of his heart to express his love. So it is a rather sweet message ...more
Christina
Seriously adorable! Not five stars because some of the language is a bit awkward ... and I would have liked a bit more time (which sounds ridiculous in a kid book) or background for the love story to develop.

But seriously ... what better testimony of the power of music? When the sweet dog pours every emotion into his music, and what eventually comes out is so powerful it crosses language barriers (and species), it's just marvelous.

Oh, and don't forget "flowery wallpaper words." What a fantastic
Alicia
This would be a cute read aloud for Kindergarten or First Grade. I've been looking for good read alouds for Valentine's Day and this would work nicely. I will be doing a diversity unit in February and because of the dog loves cat element of the story it ties nicely to that. This could also be recommended to a music teacher for a lesson because there is a tie-in to music as well. The difficulties the dog has in communicating his feelings to the cat will add a humor the kids will appreciate.
This was turned in today and I read it thinking it might be a "new" one to add to my Valentine's Day story time...it's a little long for the ages I have coming to story time right now, but probably 4-6 year olds would love it. It's about a dog and a cat who fall in love, despite a "language barrier."
Amianne Bailey
K-6th Grade Read Aloud: Precious book with great illustrations and perfect for the month of February! We used the cover to make a prediction, discussed prior knowledge, similes, poetic language, theme,cause and effect, and made inferences. We then looked at a Readers' Theater script that had been made from this book. The curriculum covers drama right now, so this was a great way to incorporate those elements. A fantastic read-aloud!
Awww! Star-crossed lovers? A dog falls in love with a cat but has problems communicating his feelings. "I love you!" he says but, "Woof woof woof woof," was what really came out. A charming story with darling, clever illustrations. I especially enjoyed inspecting Berry's detailed illustrations about what's buried underground. The rhythm and rhyme in this story work well and younger readers will enjoy this as a read aloud.
jacky
Another title our librarian read for Valentine's day at the preschooler story time. I liked the concept of this book: That a dog could love a cat, but his words of affection could be completely misunderstood. The bit about the trombone was alright, though the kids at story time though it was cool that it was trombone, instead of a bone. Not my favorite style of illustrations, but still alright.
Marcie
This could be a fun read aloud (or preferably sign aloud) for Valentine's Day. I wonder if Sarah Weeks, who has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard, had a tune in her mind as she wrote this one. I liked the rhymes and wish I could play a brass bone for accompaniment. How did I miss this last year?
Cassie
Some may think that dogs and cats don't belong together... all I have to say in response is "why not?!?". Sarah Weeks had written a sweet, rhyming story about a love-sick dog, a scared cat and a whole bunch of miscommunication! Fun book to share aloud with adorable mix-media illustrations by Holly Berry.
Michelle Young
Mary
A sweet story about a dog who falls in love with a cat, but faces a language barrier. She finds him threatening, when his "woofs" are actually "flowery wallpaper words". What eventually bridges the gap is the universal language of music. Love the collage illustrations.
Sam Bloom
Very cute, very funny book from Weeks, who I am slowly growing to love. I was lucky enough to hear a Reader's Theater version of this book before it was published, and with a pretty incredible cast of readers: Weeks, Avi, Brian Selznick and Pam Munoz Ryan.
Bridget R. Wilson
Can a dog love a cat? Yes, he can. Here's his story.

What I thought: A sweet story. I love that the animals suffer from miscommunication. The illustrations are wonderful. I love the collages.

Story Time Themes: Dogs, Cats, Valentine's Day
Abbi
Mar 04, 2011 Abbi added it
A dog fell in love with cat. He didn't know what to do. He had never seen a dog in love with a cat, so he didn't know how to respond. Now he has to decide what the next move is, and if the cat really likes him!!!
Brittany Staszak
I just love it. It's as simple as that.
VegasGal
This is a short, sweet and even inspiring tale of love that goes beyond the boundaries between cat and dog. Great illustrations and a feel-good story line makes it easy to fall in love with this book.
Jess Brown
Ohmygoodness what a sweet book! Poor dog is lovestruck and cat can't understand him! Not to worry; he uses his sweet charms and cat understands him in the end! Love this book.
Mary Ann
As a owner of both dogs and cats I can fully identify with this story. Children who would love to have a pet will also enjoy this as much as those who do have pets.
Angela Early
A very "romantic" story that emphasizes the power of love as well as the power of music. This book could be included in a unit about the passion surrounding music.
Kifflie
This was okay; I thought the poetry wasn't the strongest, and the idea of a dog burying a trombone just seemed rather silly. The book just didn't work for me.
Kim
A dog is immediately smitten with a cat, but when he tells her he loves her, it comes out as "woof". Follow the story as they come to be a couple
Scottsdale Public Library
See what happens when a dog falls for the cat next door in this fun rhyming picture book that is perfect for Valentine's Day. -Erin J.
Kyra Harwell
This was a very cute love story between a cat and dog. A story told through poetry and the language of love:)
This is so adorable. Dog loves cat but can't communicate it to her. Finally finds a way and cat falls in love too.
Rachel
Unique pop art. Love the double meaning of some word usage.
Mimi
So cute, and what a beautiful message that music transcends language.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • Dog Loves Books
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Panda and Polar Bear
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Three by the Sea
Sarah Weeks has been writing children’s books and songs for the past twenty years. She is a graduate of Hampshire College and NYU and recently became an adjunct faculty member in the prestigious Writing Program at the New School University, in New York City.

Her first YA novel, So B. It, which appeared on the LA Times bestseller list was chosen as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and received the
More about Sarah Weeks...
So B. It Pie As Simple as It Seems Oggie Cooder Jumping the Scratch