Start by marking “Imperial America” as Want to Read:
Imperial America

Imperial America

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  378 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Following the publication of Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace and Dreaming War comes award-winning Gore Vidal's long-awaited conclusion to his landmark, best-selling trilogy. Now, Vidal has written his most devastating exploration of Imperial America to date. "Not since the 1846 attack on Mexico in order to seize California" Vidal writes, "has an American government been
Published May 28th 2004 by Perseus Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Imperial America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperial America

Bill Lawrence
Oct 19, 2014 Bill Lawrence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Enjoyable and interesting read, but a bit repetitive, understandably so as Vidal revisits the same themes over years of writing in various political journals and magazines. Gore Vidal remains an entertaining and erudite writer, especially in the field of American politics and the failure of the system as the constitution evolves from the 'framers', to what he believes will be the eventual fall of the American Empire. I find it difficult to argue against him, other than to remain sceptical as to ...more
Jason
Jul 29, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our problems seem new because, as a nation of people, we are disconnected from our history. Much of this writing is from the late 80's and still apply today. We live in such a vacuum called reality TV. wake up.
columbialion
Jan 08, 2010 columbialion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Brilliant indictment of the lack of political awareness of the American citizenry in electing government, and it's consequences.
Will
Aug 25, 2015 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I wish I could have met Gore when he was alive and picked his brain on everything.

It's amazing how various situations, ways our country was leaning, political corruption, and other essays by him from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s are all still relevant and very much still the case today.
Mike
Mar 18, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gore Vidal true to himself writes this short analysts of the American scene. I just wonder what he would have said of the current political small upheaval.
Timothy Fitzgerald
I found a lot of the Nixon and Reagan era articles to be very enlightening. I think Vidal exposes some intrinsic flaws within our government. I do think, though, that he may be a little heavy on the conspiracy theories. I think he may give a little too much credit to the powers that be in terms of their ability to put policies into play that influence complex end games years in advance.
Kevin
Jun 05, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All but about 40 pages here are reprinted from the big Collected Essays volume (and not to carefully proofread here), but I can't think about Obama's drones without wishing Vidal was still around to excoriate him in print. It's good to be reminded about what changes and doesn't in American politics, but this selection is a bit repetitious to be read straight through.
Indi Martin
Oct 14, 2009 Indi Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not my Dad!
Shelves: read-was-ok
If you like Michael Moore, you may like Gore Vidal - except he's considerably more extreme. I agree with many of his more salient points; at times he loses even me, and I doubt there are many liberals more liberal than I am out there. Still, pretty much everything he says about W feels spot-on to me.
Lisa
Oct 18, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heart Gore Vidal. Fiction, non-fiction, whatever. Fabulous, opinionated, crazy, commie-pinko, who's now an octagenarian and still trying to whip people into a frenzy to have a second Constitutional Convention. Good times.
Tomas
Aug 12, 2012 Tomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book, and probably any book of political essays by Vidal, is to remove the veil between political fantasy and political reality.
Tamara Temple
Feb 25, 2015 Tamara Temple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political, philosophy
I like the way Vidal writes, but I always end up starting to suspect my beliefs because I agree with him so much.
Dennis
Oct 07, 2007 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful essays on the current condition of America by the brilliant Gore Vidal..
Joseph
Apr 07, 2008 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
He really doesn't write bad books
Gerry Riguera
Phil
Apr 29, 2012 Phil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yup
Frank Zipeto
Frank Zipeto marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Sam Juniper
Sam Juniper marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Joey D.
Joey D. marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Ian Yates
Ian Yates rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Brice
Brice rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Jans
Jans marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Keerthi
Keerthi rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Cody Turiya
Cody Turiya marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Diddier
Diddier marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
To those goring Gore Vidal.... 1 4 Mar 23, 2008 10:28PM
  • American Power and the New Mandarins: Historical and Political Essays
  • The Bomb
  • Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid
  • The Punishment of Gaza
  • Drone Warfare: Killing By Remote Control
  • Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil
  • To Kill Rasputin: The Life and Death of Gregori Rasputin
  • The Story of Pain: From Prayer to Painkillers
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers
  • The Second Wave: A Reader in Feminist Theory
  • War on the Middle Class: How the Government, Big Business, and Special Interest Groups Are Waging War onthe American Dream and How to Fight Back
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Eqbal Ahmad: Confronting Empire
  • Death To The Dictator! : A Young Man Casts a Vote in Iran's 2009 Election and Pays a Devastating Price
  • The New Imperialism
  • Occupants: Photographs and Writings
  • Now, Let Me Tell You What I Really Think
Eugene Luther Gore Vidal was an American writer known for his essays, novels, screenplays, and Broadway plays. He was also known for his patrician manner, Transatlantic accent, and witty aphorisms. Vidal came from a distinguished political lineage; his grandfather was the senator Thomas Gore, and he later became a relation (through marriage) to Jacqueline Kennedy.

Vidal ran for political office twi
More about Gore Vidal...

“we no longer live in a nation, but in a Homeland.” 1 likes
“say very mildly, we have only one political party in the U.S., the Property Party, with two right wings, Republican and Democrat.” 0 likes