Start by marking “Redemption Song” as Want to Read:
Redemption Song

Redemption Song

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Owner of a small African-American bookshop, Miss Cozy has an unique gift: Customers who walk through her door rarely leave without a book that speaks directly to their life. But when Josephine--"Fina"--and Ross arrive in search of an obscure, unpublished manuscript written by a slave woman, Miss Cozy knows that all her visions have been leading her to this magical day.

Published January 2nd 2001 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption Song

This is a small book with a HUGE message! It is a story targeted, I believe, at African Americans so that they might learn their history and learn FROM that history. But I believe it is a lesson that transcends race and culture. This is a story about history and fulfilling your destiny and being who you were meant to be and that message really resonated with me.I think the author can best sum it up in this passage..."Most folks go through their entire life working day in and day out, completely ...more
Nandi Crawford
Probably one of the most profound books I have ever read. Two people go into a AA(African American)bookstore and grab the same book. The owner, figuring something amiss, suggest that they both take the book and read it together, never thinking initially their own ties to this book. Basically, it's a book written by a slave to help show the way, instead it gets anywhere but where it should. Very short but heartfelt story that I still re read from time to time.
I am going make this one simple. I got married because of this book. It was fun, it is quick, you almost want to read it twice, as it was a lot of fun. The story is very simple and well written. It is very much about love, loves lost and found, paths taken and redemption, and while I do not know the author, I do actually know the bookstore that was described as the lady that runs it is a good friend of my mother.
I wish all of my students could read this. The book holds truths for all races and cultures.
Mocha Girl
I couldn't put Redemption Song down...I read it in one sitting and recommend it to everyone...especially those of African American descent. The story is centered around Josephine Chambers, a successful business executive and Ross Buchanan, a scholar pursuing his PhD in Anthropology. They "accidentally" meet at the Black Images Bookstore in search of the very rare book entitled Children of Grace. While in the store, both discover the book at the same time, which lead the wise proprietress, Ms. Co ...more
Jan 13, 2010 Adeola added it
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to read about African American History
Recommended to Adeola by: My mother
SSR: Book-A-Month

What month did you read this book for? December

Title: Redemption Song

Author: Bertice Berry

Date started/date completed: December 30/January 3

Total Pages: 200

Rating of book (1-10): 8

Describe one major external conflict and one major internal conflict found in this book: There is the conflict of their ancestors that manifest itself into their own internal conflicts which separates the main characters Ross and Fina through theme of relationships. They both have conflict with each
Adrienne Thompson
What an incredible read! It evoked so much emotion, was immediately engaging, and positively burgeoned with wisdom, wit, and truth. I could not put it down and hated to see it end. This author has been added to my list of favorites, right beside Bernice McFadden and Alice Walker. If you have not read this book, do yourself a huge favor and purchase it right now! It just might change your life and it will definitely feed your soul.

Adrienne Thompson
Author of Summertime
Tonya Willis-porath
This book is a fantastic read. The author had a gift for writing extremely simply yet really complex. Her style is poetic and beautiful. I can't wait to read more of her books. The story is a tear jerker, prepare to shed some tears.
Brenda Hunt
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Hope there will be a sequel....
This was a great read! For such a short story, it certainly packed a powerful punch! The basics: two strangers searching for the same rare book end up in a book store to find only one copy is available. Both Ross and Fina need this book for differing reasons, and the store owner (Cosina - a woman with vision) devises a plan for them both to read the story. The story: Iona, the slave women who faced hardships her entire life but was suddenly given the gift of being able to read and write - thus p ...more
Light romance reading with a magical, spiritual connection for the woman and man who meet in a book store. They have both been looking for family history and are meant to meet and fall in love. The modern day romance really didn't hold my interest. Too much emotion and reliance on fate for being brought together by the wise, old book store owner. Obvious fairy tale and moral necessity of being brought together for my tastes. What I did like about the book was the slave story of their ancestors a ...more
I totally forgot that I read this book until I started reading " The Ties That Bind - A Memoir of Race, Memory, and Redemption" by the same author this past week.
This was an amazing read for me, the history and the detail was so good. You have to read this book.
This is the most amazing book! I love to re-read it over and over again.
Arletta Saafir
One of my favorite love stories ever...a must read...
Angela Wilson
There are certain aspects that I enjoy about Berry's writing, and there are certain aspects that I don't like about Berry's writing. On the plus side, there were many inspirational quotes and situations in this book that really got me thinking. On the negative side, then ending was horribly rushed and the book overall was very hooky and unrealistic. I think I would have thoroughly enjoyed reading the slave narrative "Children of Grace" that was referenced throughout the book.

The overall moral o
I read a few reviews of this book before starting it and there is one that I absolutely agree with: the real story is the story within this story.

This is the first time that I have ever read a book about a book and how it changes the course of the character's lives. I found the plot to be original, but the execution lacking. Although the slave story was interesting it was not enough to bind the three characters together for me.

I found myself becoming slightly irritated when the story transitio
This is maybe my second favorite novel after Colin Channer's Satisfy My Soul. (Love the titles, especially) - it was my first taste of 'spiritual realism' & is aligned with many of my personal beliefs. :)
I enjoyed this. It does leave me with more questions than I had before.
Charmaine Battle
This book was extraordinary. Loved it from beginning to end!
I really enjoyed this book. Interesting look at history through the eyes of former slaves and the impact slavery had on future generations.
judith Jones
Thought provoking.

There were told bits of life lessons in this story that will stir you later. Very enjoyable you should read it.
Ricky Callahan Jr.
Probably one of the best books I've ever read. Highly recommend!
Danielle Jackson
This was a very good book.
This is such a profound book. It really brings home the scripture that says that all things work together for the good of them that Love the Lord and are called according to his purpose. It's a quick read but a sweet story of people realizing that life is not simply about them or even about right now but rather about our ancestors that have gotten us to this point and our children of grace...
Completed my reread of this book and love it even more than I did the first time. Wonderful story of love during a time that was loveless. Slaves find love and are violently torn apart. This is a story of slaves lives written by the survivor. A story of love found and lost and the hopes for the future generations
Loved this book! I wept during several parts of this book. It is an open look into the lives of those affected by slavery in their ancestry. This gives a raw but poetic look into the past and gives the reader a charge for their future. Not just meant for African Americans to read, anyone would benefit!
I loved this book. It was very intriguing how the author intertwined the lives of the three main characters and the book that brought these three people together. This book did not take me long to read because it kept me interested until the very end.
Kieran Walsh
Totally missed an excellent opportunity to be a book about something. Instead Berry just moralized and preached through the most predictable set of unlikable characters! It read like a book for a child.
  • Some People, Some Other Place
  • Going Down South: A Novel
  • Getting to the Good Part
  • The Other Side of Goodness
  • All That Glitters Isn't Gold (The Glamorous Life, #2)
  • A Love Noire: A Novel
  • An Angry-Ass Black Woman
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 6 (Aya, #6)
  • The Best She Ever Had (Gibbons Gold Digger Novel #4)
  • Seen It All and Done the Rest
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • The Devil is a Lie
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • Josephine and the Soldier
  • Finding Me
  • It Is Well with My Soul: The Extraordinary Life of a 106-Year-Old Woman
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
When Love Calls, You Better Answer Jim and Louella's Homemade Heart-fix Remedy The Haunting of Hip Hop: A Novel The Ties That Bind: A Memoir of Race, Memory, and Redemption I'm On My Way But Your Foot Is On My Head: A Black Woman's Story of Getting Over Life's Hurdles

“you can apologize, but don't ever be sorry!” 6 likes