Start by marking “The March Up the March Up” as Want to Read:
The March Up the March Up

The March Up the March Up

BONUS: This edition contains excerpts from Bing West's "No True Glory" and "The Strongest Tribe."
With unprecedented access and previously unreported detail, here is a first hand account of the 22-day march to Baghdad that takes you behind the scenes and to the front line...
No one reporting on the war in Iraq had the unique battlefield clearanceafforded the authors of t
Published December 18th 2007 by Bantam (first published September 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The March Up the March Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The March Up the March Up

I was surprised by this book because going off the average of the reviews here on Goodreads, I expected it to be mediocre, but turns out, it wasn't so average and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Of course I gave it 4 stars and not 5 and that indicates something went wrong. I couldn't give it 5 stars because it was missing some dialogue. It was few and far between and I would have thought, seeing as they were travelling alongside the 1st Marine Division, that Bing West Jr would have recorded plenty of di
Apr 05, 2014 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gulf-wars
The March Up is a pretty good read about the War in Iraq and the day to day operations of the First Marine Division and their march through Iraq and straight into Bagdad.

This is told by a couple of combat veterans and is a pretty good run through the daily life and details of 21st century combat in the field. Some interesting perspectives and a good feel of what it was like in the action, the realistic opposition of the Iraqis, and the daily challenges facing our Marines.

I thought the groundwo
Jan 18, 2015 18dh02 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in the marines
Recommended to 18dh02 by: PFC Molina
War is cruel land unforgiving. Bing West and Ray Smith are both veterans of the Vietnam war and served as advisors for operation Iraqi Freedom. This book is their first hand account on their 22 day journey to Baghdad to take down Saddam's Regime. I personally found this book very informative and very deep. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Iraq war and understand the true face of war.
John Gordon
Jul 08, 2013 John Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The march from Kuwait to Baghdad in the Gulf War by the 1st Marine Division is documented here on from a personal perspective. Our two authors have access from privates to generals and manage to place themselves at the point of action throughout most of the campaign. They give us an interesting perspective of the fighting, desert and the enemy with numerous accounts and anecdotes. The incredible firepower, organisation and professionalism of the Marines are clear although it seemed that when act ...more
Patrick  Van Hoeserlande
Very interesting book.
Sep 19, 2007 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good account of the first three weeks of the war from the individual to Division level. The authors mainly talk about actions for which they were present, or actions very close to them. The focus is on 7th Marines, but they mention 1st and 5th Marines. The book introduces you to the men and the fighting, but does not have many tactical or operational insights.
Jul 11, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
A look at the 1st Marine Division's role in the taking of Baghdad during the initial stages of the Iraq War. It's interesting to contrast and compare this account of conventional warfare with later accounts of anti-insurgency operations. The paperback edition even includes some of that in an epilogue added that revisits the division a few months later.
Jul 21, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the mother of one of the brave Marines of the 1st Marine Division, I was intrigued to read this account and comprehend the situation experienced by my son. I was not disappointed. I appreciated the accounting of the military and the humorous situations related in this book. Ooh-rah!
Adam Ashton
I enjoyed this book, but I don't think it's especially accessible to readers who don't have military experience. For them, I'd recommend Generation Kill.
Jun 09, 2009 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was strange to read a book about somrthing I was a part of. Really enjoyed it.
Jul 29, 2011 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good book and is written for non-military to understand
Feb 28, 2012 Clinton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting war journalism by some very educated Marines
Dec 07, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me both laugh and cry.
Mark MacDougall
Mark MacDougall marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Matthew Greco
Matthew Greco marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
MrsPyramidhead marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Ross Neher
Ross Neher marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Wayne marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Kevin marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
jim allison
jim allison marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Morgan Gardner
Morgan Gardner rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Breane Ross
Breane Ross rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
paul j unsworth
paul j unsworth rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • In The Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat In Iraq
  • A Military History Of The Western World, Vol. I: From The Earliest Times To The Battle Of Lepanto
  • Blood Stripes: The Grunt's View of the War in Iraq
  • The Gift of Valor: A War Story
  • Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • The Darkest Summer: Pusan and Inchon 1950: The Battles That Saved South Korea--and the Marines--from Extinction
  • Ripples of Battle: How Wars of the Past Still Determine How We Fight, How We Live & How We Think
  • No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • Making the Corps
  • Dead Center: A Marine Sniper's Two-Year Odyssey in the Vietnam War
  • The Hunt for KSM: Inside the Pursuit and Takedown of the Real 9/11 Mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed
  • Imperial Grunts: On the Ground with the American Military, from Mongolia to the Philippines to Iraq and Beyond
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • Chesty: The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC
Francis J. "Bing" West is an author and former Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs during the Reagan Administration. His 2004 book The March Up: Taking Baghdad with the First Marine Division, written with United States Marine Corps General Ray L. Smith,was awarded the Marine Corps Heritage Prize for non-fiction, as well as the Colby Award.
More about Francis J. West Jr....