Start by marking “The March Up the March Up” as Want to Read:
The March Up the March Up

The March Up the March Up

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  12 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains excerpts from Bing West's "No True Glory" and "The Strongest Tribe."
With unprecedented access and previously unreported detail, here is a first hand account of the 22-day march to Baghdad that takes you behind the scenes and to the front line...
No one reporting on the war in Iraq had the unique battlefield clearanceafforded the authors of t
Published December 18th 2007 by Bantam (first published September 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The March Up the March Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The March Up the March Up

Terri
I was surprised by this book because going off the average of the reviews here on Goodreads, I expected it to be mediocre, but turns out, it wasn't so average and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Of course I gave it 4 stars and not 5 and that indicates something went wrong. I couldn't give it 5 stars because it was missing some dialogue. It was few and far between and I would have thought, seeing as they were travelling alongside the 1st Marine Division, that Bing West Jr would have recorded plenty of di
Matt
The March Up is a pretty good read about the War in Iraq and the day to day operations of the First Marine Division and their march through Iraq and straight into Bagdad.

This is told by a couple of combat veterans and is a pretty good run through the daily life and details of 21st century combat in the field. Some interesting perspectives and a good feel of what it was like in the action, the realistic opposition of the Iraqis, and the daily challenges facing our Marines.

I thought the groundwo
18dh02
Jan 18, 2015 18dh02 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in the marines
Recommended to 18dh02 by: PFC Molina
War is cruel land unforgiving. Bing West and Ray Smith are both veterans of the Vietnam war and served as advisors for operation Iraqi Freedom. This book is their first hand account on their 22 day journey to Baghdad to take down Saddam's Regime. I personally found this book very informative and very deep. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Iraq war and understand the true face of war.
John Gordon
The march from Kuwait to Baghdad in the Gulf War by the 1st Marine Division is documented here on from a personal perspective. Our two authors have access from privates to generals and manage to place themselves at the point of action throughout most of the campaign. They give us an interesting perspective of the fighting, desert and the enemy with numerous accounts and anecdotes. The incredible firepower, organisation and professionalism of the Marines are clear although it seemed that when act ...more
Tyler
A good account of the first three weeks of the war from the individual to Division level. The authors mainly talk about actions for which they were present, or actions very close to them. The focus is on 7th Marines, but they mention 1st and 5th Marines. The book introduces you to the men and the fighting, but does not have many tactical or operational insights.
John
A look at the 1st Marine Division's role in the taking of Baghdad during the initial stages of the Iraq War. It's interesting to contrast and compare this account of conventional warfare with later accounts of anti-insurgency operations. The paperback edition even includes some of that in an epilogue added that revisits the division a few months later.
Rebecca
As the mother of one of the brave Marines of the 1st Marine Division, I was intrigued to read this account and comprehend the situation experienced by my son. I was not disappointed. I appreciated the accounting of the military and the humorous situations related in this book. Ooh-rah!
Adam Ashton
I enjoyed this book, but I don't think it's especially accessible to readers who don't have military experience. For them, I'd recommend Generation Kill.
Travis
I was strange to read a book about somrthing I was a part of. Really enjoyed it.
James
It was a pretty good book and is written for non-military to understand
Clinton
Interesting war journalism by some very educated Marines
Made me both laugh and cry.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Saqib
Saqib added it
Feb 27, 2015
Oliver F
Oliver F marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Tate Harris
Tate Harris marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • In The Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat In Iraq
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • The Gift of Valor: A War Story
  • Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq
  • The Generalship Of Alexander The Great
  • The Savior Generals: How Five Great Commanders Saved Wars That Were Lost - From Ancient Greece to Iraq
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • One Million Steps: A Marine Platoon at War
  • Making the Corps
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
  • House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
  • The Darkest Summer: Pusan and Inchon 1950: The Battles That Saved South Korea--and the Marines--from Extinction
  • Imperial Grunts: On the Ground with the American Military, from Mongolia to the Philippines to Iraq and Beyond
  • Chesty: The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC
  • One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer
  • Invisible Armies: An Epic History of Guerrilla Warfare from Ancient Times to the Present
Francis J. "Bing" West is an author and former Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs during the Reagan Administration. His 2004 book The March Up: Taking Baghdad with the First Marine Division, written with United States Marine Corps General Ray L. Smith,was awarded the Marine Corps Heritage Prize for non-fiction, as well as the Colby Award.
More about Francis J. West Jr....
No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq The Pepperdogs The Village Small Unit Action In Vietnam:  Summer 1966