The Dragon of Doom

The Dragon of Doom (Moongobble and Me #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Edward is bored with life in the little town of Pigbone.Then Moongobble the Magician and his faithful toad, Urk, move into the cottage on the hill.

Soon Edward has a job helping Moongobble. And Moongobble needs a lot of help, because it turns out he is not a very good magician. (His spells keep turning things into cheese!)

Edward has never been so busy -- or so happy. But th...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published 2003)

Beth
Jul 25, 2014 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: Ashley
Shelves: read-aloud
For young readers who have exhausted the Magic Treehouse and are looking for their next favorite chapter book, Moongobble delivers! The silly antics of this wannabe wizard will keep kids turning the pages. I mean, he accidentally turns himself into cheese! What kid isn't going to think that's funny??

While this would be perfect for an independent reader, we opted to make this a bedtime read-aloud. It really does appeal to a range of ages: all three older kids (9, 7, and 4) were asking for more, a...more
Phoebe
Jan 04, 2010 Phoebe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cheryl
Another great readaloud for 3rd grade and up, and a great choice for a good 3rd grade reader. The funny adventures are just beginning for Edward, a lonesome little boy in the village of Pigbone, when he meets Moongobble, Pigbone's newest resident and aspiring magician. Several passages made my son practically expire from laughing (of course involving bodily functions). 4 in the series, this is the first.
Angelina Justice
This is a good practice chapter book for on level 2nd to 3rd graders, but also makes a great read aloud for younger or struggling readers. There's opportunity for different voices, and element/emotional expression via the humor and adventure. This is a good alternative for very young readers that have an interest in Harry Potter, but are really too young for much of the content.

Taneka
Edward is bored in the town of Pigtoe. There is no adventure and nothing interesting happens. One day a new neighbor moves in to the house on the hill and he is a magician. He asks Edward to be his helper and Edward is happy he has adventure. Moongobble has been studying for two years and has to pass a test to be accepted into the Society of Magicians. For his first task, he has to gather the Golden Acorns of Alcoona which are in a cave guarded by the Dragon of Doom. Will Edwards’s mother allow...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

When Moongobble the magician moves to town, Edward is eager to become his new apprentice. It turns out, though, that Moongobble isn’t much of a magician after all — every time he tries a spell, he ends up turning something into cheese. In fact, he’s about to lose his authority to practice magic if he can’t prove himself proficient by completing three difficult tasks. The first task is to steal some special acorns from the Dragon of Doom, so Moongobble and...more
NS - Cami Houston
Grades 3-5, the first in a new trilogy, this book combines humor, adventure, and fantasy. Nothing much happens in the town of Pigbone-until a magician and his talking toad move into the abandoned cottage on the hill. When young Edward becomes Moongobble's helper, he soon discovers that the former shoemaker is not very good at his new profession, a situation that results in many comical moments. In fact, the Society of Magicians threatens to cast Moongobble out unless he proves his worth by facin...more
Jessica
A fun little read aloud that is good for multiple levels. My kids enjoyed it more than I did. They enjoyed it enough to read the rest of the books in the series.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I have recently read this book to my five year old son. I love Moongobble, he is a wizard who can only make things into cheese (including himself at times). Moongobble moves into a small village and a boy named Edward becomes his helper. He can not have an apprentice until he is accepted into the magical group. Unfortunately he can only turn things into cheese. Fazwad, the head of the group of wizards, sets him to three mightly tasks. He can't do three mightly spells.

This is a great read. I high...more
RachelAnne
Jun 18, 2007 RachelAnne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Imaginative 1,2,3 graders
The first book in the Moongobble and Me series. One day Edward is caught eavesdropping on his new neighbor, who turns out to be a wizard--or at least, who wants to be a wizard. Moongobble isn't very talented at magic. In order to satisfy the magicians' guild, Moongobble has to successfully complete several tests. The first test involves retrieving a treasure from the dauntingly named Dragon of Doom. Children just past the beginning-reader stage will appreciate the spare text in large font, as we...more
Judy
Edward lives in a tiny village- tiny- only 15 cottages. A elderly man named Moongobble who is working on becoming a magician moves in and hires little Edward to help him. With magic that goes more wrong than right and a sidekick who is a large, talking toad, Moongobble needs lots of help. Edward loves the excitement. In this adventure, it becomes necessary to face the dreaded Dragon of Doom.
This book would be appropriate even for younger readers. It will wet your appetite for what might come ne...more
Ada
This is our March selection for our Reading Quest book club and I am so glad to have been introduced to this series. I will be recommending it to many of our younger chapter book readers. Edward finds life in his small village boring, until Moongobble comes to town. Moongobble is eager to be a magician and Edward is eager to help. Even if it means being turned into cheese from time to time :)
Anna Richland
My daughter and I loved reading this out loud together. I did the talking toad's voice (Urk!) which is great fun for me, and she was happy to read more and more. The whole series is very good, but this is the best, I think.

Recommend highly for read aloud. I also recommend the "full cast audio" version of the book, where it is read by many separate voice actors.
Todd
who? Edward is a boy. Moongobble is taking his trials to become a magicain.
what? Edward and Moongobble go on a quest to find the Dragon of Doom
when? This is Moongobble's first quest. If he passes this quest he will have 2 more left.
why? Edward and Moongobble go to find the Golden Acorns of Alcoona
where? They live in Pigbone
how?
Beth
May 12, 2009 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd graders
Edward is bored in his little village until a magician and his talking toad move into the empty cottage up the hill. Moongobble is not a very good magician, he turns everything into cheese. I really liked this short chapter book. It had a good story with fun characters. The toad made me laugh.
Amanda
It isn't often a book has the child hero get his mother's permission to help out. Nor have I read a book where the magician can only turn things into cheese. This was a cute, very short story, about a boy who is bored and finds a little adventure. I am curious about what happens next.
Elena
Oct 11, 2008 Elena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any child learning to love reading
This was a good series. I picked it up at the library because my daughter likes magic, dragons, etc. and I wanted to get her interested in a series. We're working on the 4th of this series now. All were pretty good, but this one remains my favorite.
Jodi
Not so much. Perhaps engaging for the 2nd graders (I read this book for our 2nd Grade Book Club with the Principal), but for me it was just ok. A few chuckles here and there, but mostly it was not a typical Bruce Coville book.
*Queen Diva*
Cute book - I liked the way the book was written for its intended audience. I will be reading this to my class and look forward to it as well as reading the rest of the series! Should be fun!
Jeff2012 Slatt
This book is such a great book. I read it when i was in 5th grade when i read it and i still remember it from four years ago. It a good book for thoses who like about wizards and dragons.
Zoe
A charming early chapter series perfect for boys and fantasy lovers alike. The magician who turns everything into cheese is great fun, and his talking toad is priceless
Rachel
I'm reading this at night with Quinton and Lucia. I think Q's enjoying it. The characters are cute, but I don't know that we'll read the rest of the series...
Marie
G loved this one, "better than Magic Tree House". She wanted to know if there are more (there are). I'll have to read it this evening, and order the next book.
Julie
This is an adorable story for 2nd to 5th grade age kids. It is cute and entertaining, but the characters are not to sappy. I loved reading it with my kids.
Kendra
Our 6-9 year book group LOVED this book and so did all their parents. Lovely story with just the right amount of adventure, humor, and magic.
Molly
Huge hit with my 4 year old. He listened to this as he settled down for bed. He kept popping out of his room to tell me the good parts!
Andrea
young reader book; has a few dragon illustrations and cute story; ends abruptly like it's the first in a series
Rebecca
My children absolutely loved these books. They pretended to be Moongobble during the time we were reading the books.
Cami
A very cute beginning fantasy book. Appropriate for ages 6 and up to listen to, but it's not a difficult read either.
Brynn
This is an easy 3rd grade book - the beginning of a series - that I can see many students enjoying.
Ara
It's a cute story.. but maybe too stretched out. Also, it seems sort of a mixture of fairy tales.
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Two Times the Fun
  • No Such Thing as Ghosts (Dragonbreath, #5)
  • Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1
  • Something Wonky This Way Comes (Mercy Watson #6)
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Medusa Jones
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • January Joker (Calendar Mysteries, #1)
  • The Gumazing Gum Girl! Book 1 Chews Your Destiny
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Benjamin Franklinstein Lives!
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Toy Dance Party (Toys #2)
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)