Start by marking “The Dragon of Doom” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Doom

The Dragon of Doom (Moongobble and Me #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  331 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Edward is bored with life in the little town of Pigbone.Then Moongobble the Magician and his faithful toad, Urk, move into the cottage on the hill.

Soon Edward has a job helping Moongobble. And Moongobble needs a lot of help, because it turns out he is not a very good magician. (His spells keep turning things into cheese!)

Edward has never been so busy -- or so happy. But th
Published February 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon of Doom

Nikki
Not a life altering read, but it has enough stinky cheese and fart jokes to become Jack's new favorite series.
Phoebe
Jan 04, 2010 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cheryl
Another great readaloud for 3rd grade and up, and a great choice for a good 3rd grade reader. The funny adventures are just beginning for Edward, a lonesome little boy in the village of Pigbone, when he meets Moongobble, Pigbone's newest resident and aspiring magician. Several passages made my son practically expire from laughing (of course involving bodily functions). 4 in the series, this is the first.
Angelina Justice
This is a good practice chapter book for on level 2nd to 3rd graders, but also makes a great read aloud for younger or struggling readers. There's opportunity for different voices, and element/emotional expression via the humor and adventure. This is a good alternative for very young readers that have an interest in Harry Potter, but are really too young for much of the content.

Canadian Reader
A former shoemaker named Moongobble moves into Edward's small town of Pigbone. Thanks to some generous elves who aided him, he is now rich enough to pursue his real passion: magic. Unfortunately, he's very bad at spells, turning almost everything--including himself at one point--into gooey green cheese. When Moongobble proves himself incapable of performing well enough to be allowed to join the society of magicians, he agrees to attempt three difficult tasks. In this first book of the series (Mo ...more
Beth
Jul 25, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: Ashley
Shelves: read-aloud
For young readers who have exhausted the Magic Treehouse and are looking for their next favorite chapter book, Moongobble delivers! The silly antics of this wannabe wizard will keep kids turning the pages. I mean, he accidentally turns himself into cheese! What kid isn't going to think that's funny??

While this would be perfect for an independent reader, we opted to make this a bedtime read-aloud. It really does appeal to a range of ages: all three older kids (9, 7, and 4) were asking for more, a
Edward Creter
This first in a magical discovery I made today is very much in the Harry Potter spirit, only shorter and thereby more spirited. Young Edward (I happen to share his name, how cool is that?) wants to learn to be a magician, so he needs the help of an aging wizard who has only been practicing magic for the last two years, and has a sarcastic talking toad for a comic sidekick. (The guy could use a "side kick" in his ribs, admittedly.) With the aid of a knight in rusty armor (think Don Quixote, then ...more
Michelle♥
I've starting volunteering virtually with the State of Connecticut. It's a volunteer program where I transcribe the book to be converted in Braille. That way, the kids can learn to read these books. Very cool!
I love reading and so the opportunity to share the joy of reading, and do it on my own time, seemed a pretty perfect set up. Plus I'm fast at typing so it seems all is right in the world.
Cute little chapter book. Very good to start reading "big books" with. Great book for level two, 3rd gr
Taneka
Jun 15, 2013 Taneka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
Edward is bored in the town of Pigtoe. There is no adventure and nothing interesting happens. One day a new neighbor moves in to the house on the hill and he is a magician. He asks Edward to be his helper and Edward is happy he has adventure. Moongobble has been studying for two years and has to pass a test to be accepted into the Society of Magicians. For his first task, he has to gather the Golden Acorns of Alcoona which are in a cave guarded by the Dragon of Doom. Will Edwards’s mother allow ...more
Kat  Hooper
Dec 08, 2011 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

When Moongobble the magician moves to town, Edward is eager to become his new apprentice. It turns out, though, that Moongobble isn’t much of a magician after all — every time he tries a spell, he ends up turning something into cheese. In fact, he’s about to lose his authority to practice magic if he can’t prove himself proficient by completing three difficult tasks. The first task is to steal some special acorns from the Dragon of Doom, so Moongobble and
NS - Cami Houston
Grades 3-5, the first in a new trilogy, this book combines humor, adventure, and fantasy. Nothing much happens in the town of Pigbone-until a magician and his talking toad move into the abandoned cottage on the hill. When young Edward becomes Moongobble's helper, he soon discovers that the former shoemaker is not very good at his new profession, a situation that results in many comical moments. In fact, the Society of Magicians threatens to cast Moongobble out unless he proves his worth by facin ...more
Kathy
Jan 25, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute book. I wish it had been around when my kids were younger. Any first or second grader would like this story. I'm excited to see how Moongobble gets through his second task. I'm really surprising myself with the Bruce Coville thing - I never read his books before because the alien thing sounded stupid, but I'm excited to finish this series as well as My Teacher is an Alien. Crazy fun!
Deborah
Jul 06, 2015 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an adult reader, I especially liked that the mother wasn't brainless and totally unaware of what her child was doing. Edward had to check in with his parent and get permission before taking off on his adventures. Mom made inquiries and was assured there was a plan to keep her son safe.
Heather
I'm reading this series aloud to my 4-year-old, and he loves them. I think an independent older reader (say 6-8) might find them too predictable, but my little guy follows along well and finds them just the right amount "scary" (which has been an issue with other fantasy tales such as Peter Pan). Each chapter is a bit of a cliffhanger and he always asks me to keep going. Yay.
Ahouse4biswas
A bored kid becomes a magician helper and sets off on a quest of adventure. Many noteworthy characters of interest to kids who like a blend of humor and fantasy.
Jessica
A fun little read aloud that is good for multiple levels. My kids enjoyed it more than I did. They enjoyed it enough to read the rest of the books in the series.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I have recently read this book to my five year old son. I love Moongobble, he is a wizard who can only make things into cheese (including himself at times). Moongobble moves into a small village and a boy named Edward becomes his helper. He can not have an apprentice until he is accepted into the magical group. Unfortunately he can only turn things into cheese. Fazwad, the head of the group of wizards, sets him to three mightly tasks. He can't do three mightly spells.

This is a great read. I high
Barbara
Cute enough, but long for what the story offers. Not recommended for PT
Alexa
Apr 03, 2015 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute and funny! Wonderful read for young fantasy lovers.
RachelAnne
Jun 18, 2007 RachelAnne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Imaginative 1,2,3 graders
The first book in the Moongobble and Me series. One day Edward is caught eavesdropping on his new neighbor, who turns out to be a wizard--or at least, who wants to be a wizard. Moongobble isn't very talented at magic. In order to satisfy the magicians' guild, Moongobble has to successfully complete several tests. The first test involves retrieving a treasure from the dauntingly named Dragon of Doom. Children just past the beginning-reader stage will appreciate the spare text in large font, as we ...more
Laurian
Mar 22, 2016 Laurian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
It was fun but I'm not sure how meaningful the story was.
Linda D.
Jan 26, 2016 Linda D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story for young readers.
Judy
Feb 15, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edward lives in a tiny village- tiny- only 15 cottages. A elderly man named Moongobble who is working on becoming a magician moves in and hires little Edward to help him. With magic that goes more wrong than right and a sidekick who is a large, talking toad, Moongobble needs lots of help. Edward loves the excitement. In this adventure, it becomes necessary to face the dreaded Dragon of Doom.
This book would be appropriate even for younger readers. It will wet your appetite for what might come ne
Anna Richland
Sep 29, 2013 Anna Richland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My daughter and I loved reading this out loud together. I did the talking toad's voice (Urk!) which is great fun for me, and she was happy to read more and more. The whole series is very good, but this is the best, I think.

Recommend highly for read aloud. I also recommend the "full cast audio" version of the book, where it is read by many separate voice actors.
Todd
Aug 27, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
who? Edward is a boy. Moongobble is taking his trials to become a magicain.
what? Edward and Moongobble go on a quest to find the Dragon of Doom
when? This is Moongobble's first quest. If he passes this quest he will have 2 more left.
why? Edward and Moongobble go to find the Golden Acorns of Alcoona
where? They live in Pigbone
how?
Beth
May 12, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd graders
Edward is bored in his little village until a magician and his talking toad move into the empty cottage up the hill. Moongobble is not a very good magician, he turns everything into cheese. I really liked this short chapter book. It had a good story with fun characters. The toad made me laugh.
Amanda
It isn't often a book has the child hero get his mother's permission to help out. Nor have I read a book where the magician can only turn things into cheese. This was a cute, very short story, about a boy who is bored and finds a little adventure. I am curious about what happens next.
Elena
Oct 11, 2008 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any child learning to love reading
This was a good series. I picked it up at the library because my daughter likes magic, dragons, etc. and I wanted to get her interested in a series. We're working on the 4th of this series now. All were pretty good, but this one remains my favorite.
Jodi
Jan 15, 2013 Jodi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not so much. Perhaps engaging for the 2nd graders (I read this book for our 2nd Grade Book Club with the Principal), but for me it was just ok. A few chuckles here and there, but mostly it was not a typical Bruce Coville book.
Miss Ryoko
Cute book - I liked the way the book was written for its intended audience. I will be reading this to my class and look forward to it as well as reading the rest of the series! Should be fun!
Jeff2012 Slatt
Nov 20, 2008 Jeff2012 Slatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a great book. I read it when i was in 5th grade when i read it and i still remember it from four years ago. It a good book for thoses who like about wizards and dragons.
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • Charlie Small 1:  Gorilla City
  • Glade (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #3)
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor (Frank Einstein, #1)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Super Chicken Nugget Boy and the Furious Fry
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle, #3)
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Prince of Underwhere
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • The Giants and the Joneses
  • The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)

Moongobble and Me (5 books)
  • The Weeping Werewolf (Moongobble and Me, #2)
  • The Evil Elves (Moongobble and Me #3)
  • The Mischief Monster (Moongobble and Me #4)
  • The Naughty Nork (Moongobble and Me #5)