Start by marking “An Offer from a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)” as Want to Read:
An Offer from a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

An Offer from a Gentleman (Bridgertons #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  24,756 Ratings  ·  1,278 Reviews
Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball--or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she fee ...more
Published April 6th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published July 1st 2001)

Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

An Offer From a Gentleman might be a Cinderella-like story, but it’s much more than just a fairytale remake. For me, this is the epitome of everything I love about romance and happily ever after.

There’s a charming, yet flawed hero, a sweet heroine with profound inner strength and resolve who overcomes all odds, powerful emotional conflict, realistic drama, lush sensuality, intense passion, and witty humor. Benedict and Sophie and the supporting cast are all
Eastofoz
Oct 10, 2008 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency romance lovers / Tammy
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! This is a fantastic read! Quinn’s best so far for me. She has an amazing way to draw you into the story from the first few pages and you’re smiling from the get-go right up to the end :) She even manages to take you on a sudden heart-breaking emotional roller coaster ride that really gives you the chills and makes you want to cry for the h/h as a couple. This contrasts so well with the rest of the light-hearted story making the situation all the more poignant.

Th
Erika
Book became a 1 star because the hero wants the heroine to be his mistress up until the 80% point. I mean.......isn't it SO romantic when a man wants to have sex with you all the time (basically make you his whore) while at the same time planning to marry and have babies and appear publicly with another "high class"woman? I don't care if this was a reality of the day -- it is NOT romance to me. To make matters worse, he doesn't understand and is angry that she doesn't accept his offer (NOT a gen ...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Whenever reading a Julia Quinn novel, it's always an all nighter for me! Forget the family, forget dinner? The only thing that would get my eyes unglued from the pages, would be a life and death emergency.

An Offer from a Gentleman has characters that are full of spunk and fire. This was the perfect Cinderella story that is tried and true. Except in this Cinderella story she is able to keep her wits about herself and remain practical except when both our hero and Cinderella come in contact with
Erika
Jan 08, 2012 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy tale romance readers
Stepback cover

"I can live with you hating me," he said to the closed door. "I just can't live without you"

The Duke and I gave us a sweet romance, The Viscount Who Loved Me gave us a hilarious one, and An Offer From a Gentleman gave us a magical one.

This third book of the series is about love at the first sight that strike you like a thunderbolt and haunt you for the rest of your life. It happens to Benedict Bridgerton when he sees the beauty in silver gown with radiant smile at the Bridgerton'
[Aengell]
Jun 25, 2015 [Aengell] rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is magic in it's true form, and it's the main reason why people read.

I know that many of my friends here on Goodreads don't like stories where the hero and heroine fall in love at first sight, but when I read a story like this one, I can say exactly why I love this theme.

It just has to be done in the most realistic way, and only very few authors capture a realistic angle. But Julia Quinn? Wow.
Not only do I believe the love at first sight between Sophie and Benedict from Moment Nr. 1 on,
Rane
On one faithful night Benedict Bridgerton fell in love with a masked woman in silver at no less then at a masquerade ball. She took his breathe away, and stole his heart when the clock stuck midnight and she ran away never to been seen again by him. Even with two years passing he somehow always held out hope he could find her again and feel that strong emotion she ignited in him that night, but when she comes across a helpless maid in need of help, he can’t help but feel he knows her from somew ...more
Catarina
4,5 Gentle Stars

Benedict (yes, the second brother.) meets a mysterious girl at a masquerade party. They fell in love in one night. Only for her to disappear at midnight to never be heard again.
He looks for her, but he doesn’t find her again and somehow she took his heart with her.

description

Two years later a sassy maid make Benedict heart beat again. Along with an unusual friendship they also fall in love. But not only they are from different social circles (and that was apparently a huge thing in the r
Tammy
An Offer From a Gentleman definitely takes its inspiration from Cinderella, but it is still a sweet story with lovable characters written in JQ's own witty style.

Sophie is sweet and spunky. Benedict is a hopeless romantic. Together they make a very charming couple. I loved that Benedict spent three years searching for Sophie after their initial meeting at the masquerade ball.

The confrontation between Benedict's mother, Violet Bridgerton, and Araminta (Sophie's wicked step-mother) when Violet c
Beatriz
Mar 24, 2016 Beatriz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Senhoras e Senhores, leitores dessa humilde resenha, que fique registrado para conhecimento universal as seguintes constatações: 1º É ASSIM QUE UM ROMANCE DE ÉPOCA DEVE SER ESCRITO e 2º JULIA QUINN É RAINHA UNIVERSAL DESSE GÊNERO.
Se por algum motivo desconhecido, você ainda não leu "O Duque e Eu" ou "O Visconde que Me Amava", espero poder te convencer no decorrer desse texto a ler uma das melhores séries de romance que o universo já viu (nota-se que eu não irei me
Jasmin
Aug 03, 2010 Jasmin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to experience a flutter in her chest
UTTERLY ROMANTIC. An Offer from a Gentleman is a fairy tale retelling, but what makes it better than a fairy tale is that this fairy tale may have or can come true.

Once upon a time, there lived a girl named Sophie Becket, who is our Cinderella. She’s a bastard child by the earl of Penwood. She is neither recognized nor thrown out, but is known as the earl’s ward. But everyone can see that she’s a bastard, her eyes, hair and everything about her tells it out aloud, but nobody points that fact out
Maria Bikaki

Well I have noticed that every time I don’t feel very well the idea of reading an historical romance books serves like the best medicine and which better medicine than a Julia quinn’s book? An offer from a gentleman was a quite entertaining read. Definitely not Julia’s best book ever but the book that all the girls with a big romantic heart who believe in fairytales will love it. Based on the classical Cinderella story hopes to touch every romantic girl’s heart. I totally understand that not eve
SanO
Sep 04, 2013 SanO rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 WONDERFULLY WHIMSICAL STARS!!!

I simply adored this Cinderella-inspired historical filled with sexy, sweet moments!
It was also quite touching. The heroine Sophie Beckett was such a treat, and her personality and insecurities shined bright in a most endearing way!

At 20-years old…Sophie gave into a dream. One night she stole away to a masquerade ball and met her soul mate, Benedict Bridgerton, London’s most eligible bachelor. But he never knew her identity. As much as the debonair Benedict looke
Ally  Georgie
Not the Quinn I expected

Setting / Time / Genre: Regency England

Length: 421 pages.

Series: You bet. And I plan on reading every single one.

Sexy times: A couple. Normal Quinn stuff, nothing earth shattering or anything that should scare you off.

Plan on reading more by the author: Yeppers.

Synopsis in one sentence or slightly more: Heroine is a bastard, there I said it. She's spent the better part of her adult life slaving to her evil step monster and at least one evil step sinister. The other st
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I’ll be quite honest... I didn’t think much of Benedict before this book. Like many of the ton, I saw him as Number Two of the Bridgertons and now, I love him. He wasn’t mentioned often in the previous books, so I was looking forward to Colin’s book much more than Benedict’s.

Going into this book, I already knew that this book followed the Cinderella theme. A poor, young woman is fated with an evil stepmother and two equally annoying step-sisters. She gets one chance to live out her dreams and go
Cata
Apr 18, 2013 Cata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Quem me conhece sabe que odeio a história da Cinderela. A menina pobre que vai ao baile, conhece o príncipe, apaixonam-se à primeira vista e ficam juntos por causa de um sapato [um mísero sapato!] não me convence minimamente!

Mas o que é que a Cinderela tem a ver com este livro? Tudo! Amor e Enganos é muito semelhante à história da Cinderela... só que infinitamente melhor! Só Julia Quinn teve a capacidade de pegar em algo que odeio com cada fibra do meu ser e transformá-la em algo que eu amo.

Há a
Nadine Jones
I like Julia Quinn, I really do, but this was not her finest moment. Looking back on "Bridgertons" #1 & #2, maybe this just is not her finest series. This book was so ... blah. And the hero was such an ASS. On the plus side, it was nice that the heroine was not from conventional society, she is the bastard daughter of an earl, raised as his ward until his death, at which point she is Cinderella to the evil stepmother and two step-sisters. (She even secretly goes to a ball, meets the hero, an ...more
Zoe
Feb 06, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as fluffy reads go, they don't get fluffier than An Offer from a Gentleman.

I thought the story really sweet. It definitely has a strong Cinderella feel to it, but very nicely done. I went through the book very quickly because it seems to me that there isn't much depth in the story. Nonetheless, a very sweet tale.

Surprisingly, the most moving part for me was when Benedict's mother, Violet, told Benedict that she wished his father were there, when Benedict told her of his troubles. Benedi
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Feb 24, 2010 UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Ever After, Cinderella and other similar fairytales.

My Review – Short and Sweet

Starting out with the delightful feel of the fairytales Ever After and Cinderella, Julia Quinn’s An Offer From A Gentleman quickly takes on a magical life of its own and becomes another ‘feel good’ installment of the Bridgerton series! The charm of Benedict and Sophie along with the chance to revisit the other Bridgertons has made this one my favorite of the series so far.
Sandra
Feb 07, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Com um início bem clichê a soar a algo muito parecido com a história da Cinderela, Julia Quinn redime-se, dá a volta e faz-me acabar mais um livro dela com lágrimas nos olhos e sorriso nos lábios.
Como é que ela consegue? Não sei.
Simplesmente sei que é deste calibre que são feitos os grandes escritores. Aqueles mestres das palavras que fazem com que leitores se emocionem de tal maneira ao ponto de se surpreenderem.

Sophie é uma personagem forte e tão querida para mim que me fez ir às lágrimas bem
Didi
This was an incredibly engaging and sweet book! I loved the Cinderella story line and often felt it had major similarities to Ever After, the updated and modified film version of Cinderella from over 12 years ago with Drew Barrymore.

I felt really bad for Sophie and all the abuse she had to endure under the care of Araminta. That woman was the evil step mother indeed. I did however admire Sophie for never losing herself or questioning her self-worth as an individual. She suffered tremendously bu
(Nat) Reading Romances
A retelling of Cinderella..Much BETTER than the original Cinderella!

An irresistible, loving an creative retelling of Cinderella. It’s one of my favorite Bridgerton books , cause I love so much the hero AND the heroine! I wish they were part of my family! The scenes between them are a delight to read, I’d read this books again 100 times! A delicious and lovely story! I Have to say how much I love this cover, gorgeous!
Dreamer
Oh my poor heart !!! I can't remember the last time a fairytale kind of story had me in tears !! that was so so so beautiful !!! oh my...
I loved loved loved Benedict and Sophie, I felt connected with Sophie, I admire Benedict's love and most of all I gotta say Julia Quinn is not only a brilliant writer, she's simply the best !
I stayed up until late to finish it, but it was worth it, it really was !
I urge anyone to read it :) An Offer From A Gentleman is perfection...
Pamela(AllHoney)
"In her heart she longed for this man, dreamed of a life that could never be."

The first book I read in the Bridgerton series and remains my favorite today :) An enchanting, touching re-telling of the Cinderella story. Sigh...

Benedict meets the woman of his dreams at a masquarade ball and spends years looking for her. One night Benedict rescues a young housemaid and thinks he may have found love a second time in his life.
Ana
Jan 13, 2016 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in two sittings and I have to say that I loved it! Julia Quinn's books are so easy and enjoyable to read and they takes us literally just one day to finish them (in this case, not even one day)!
Patríciaacc
Júlia Quinn , mais uma vez agradeço por me mostrar porque romance de época é o meu género literário favorito .
Eu gostei bastante dos livros antecessores a este e eu não estava com muitas expectativas em relação a este livrinho pelo simples facto que eu nunca pensei que o Benedict fosse este personagem totalmente encantador, e quando eu vi que era uma recontagem da cinderella eu também pensei que seria mais do mesmo algo totalmente cliche e sem uma historia fundamentada .
Oh mas como eu estava eng
Michelle
I love this "Cinderella" story. It may start off like Cinderella but this story is very unique. I love how Benedict was in love with the Mystery Girl and would never marry until he found her. How romantic! He's such a dreamer! And Sophie is so sweet. I wanted her to just blurt it out "I am the mystery girl"... Another great job by Quinn.. I totally fell in love with both characters.

Sophie is a bastard daughter of the Earl. After his death Sophie becomes the maid to her ugly stepmother and stepsi
Carla *Jen7waters*
A Cinderella inspired Bridgerton book! OMG!!! *dances around the room* I don’t think I have to explain the plot, right? Cinderella inspired says it all. Yes?
Oh, I loved it! Loved it! The couple is so cute, and the heroine Sophie is one of my favorites of the series so far. Actually it is not fair for me to say so because all the previous heroines are great, and in my heart they’re all favorites, it’s just that Sophie had such a harsh life compared to them, and still she can be funny and brave a
Exina
Absolutely flawless! It is one of my favorites of the series, and also is on the shelf of my all-time favorites!

It is a Cinderella story with charming characters, perfect plot and character delineation, twists and turns, adorable and moving romantic scenes, sweet and funny moments.

Although it is based on a fairy tale, the emotions and relationships are represented in a realistic way.

I love Benedict, he is my favorite Bridgerton! He is persevering, sincere, and very romantic. I love his humor, hi
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn...

Bridgertons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons #7)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)
  • Le vie dell'amore (Bridgertons, #1-3)
  • Conquiste d'amore (Bridgertons, #4-6)
  • Felici per sempre 	 (Bridgertons, #7-8)

“It suddenly made sense. Only twice in his life had he felt this inexplicable, almost mystical attraction to a woman. He’d thought it remarkable, to have found two, when in his heart he’d always believed there was only one perfect woman out there for him.

His heart had been right. There was only one.”
157 likes
“In her heart she longed for this man, dreamed of a life that could never be.” 62 likes