Start by marking “The Dream Weaver: One Boy's Journey through the Landscape of Reality” as Want to Read:
The Dream Weaver: One Boy's Journey through the Landscape of Reality

The Dream Weaver: One Boy's Journey through the Landscape of Reality

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Jack Bowen's novel is like traveling with Alice to a Wonderland inhabited by the greatest philosophers and scientists who ever lived A triumph! ~Wenda O'Reilly, Ph.D., President, Birdcage Press and Author, The Impressionist Art Game How sure can you be that you're not dreaming right now? The hero of The Dream Weaver, young Ian Pinkle, encounters a world full of the unknown...more
Published February 12th 2006 by Longman

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Weaver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Weaver

Amanda
I have no words to justify this book and how amazing it is. It's philosophical without being completely confusing. It made me think more about God and science and point of view. I really like that the book doesn't try to answer questions, but merely offers more views to the issues.
Skyler Myers
Oct 24, 2013 Skyler Myers rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: An exceedingly simple intro to philosophy. I'd try a different one
Shelves: philosophy, fiction
PROs:

* Lots of topics covered

* Simple and interesting intro to philosophy

* Opinions of many philosophers

CONs:

* Too simplistic, even for an introduction

* Very bad ideas are made to seem tenable

This is a very broad book, attempting to cover most philosophical topics (self, mind, ethics, metaphysics, science, etc.), and does a pretty good job at showing different philosophical thoughts across the millennia. Unfortunately, with such a broad scope, many influential philosophers are overlooked (partic...more
Stephanie Kapllani
A really great intro to philosophy book and what really sparked my interest/love for philosophy. The book briefly introduces the reader to major philosophical issues such as God, evil, science, self, mind, soul, knowledge, free will, society, politics, money, and ethics and morality. It is by no means a resource to read in depth on a particular topic but a great introduction to get you asking questions about some of the major themes. The topics are also introduced in a unique way, as a discussio...more
Philipsanchez09
Jul 24, 2008 Philipsanchez09 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to think
A great way to open your mind and explore different ideas. A great introduction to philosophy that is very creative and very fun to read.
Joshua Flores
The Dream Weaver is filled with many mysteries, brain twisters and scenarios that are slightly tricky. Since I read the Dream Weaver for a Philosophy course I spent a lot of time analyzing the book and I definitely made a large number of connections to it. The novel is based on philosophy so its really tricky and hard to wrap your brain around, but once you get your brain there you suddenly enter a world of thoughts that never seem to leave.

Overall, I had mixed feelings on the book; some chapte...more
Mollie
A textbook barely disguised as a novel,a 14 year old who speaks and makes leaps of understanding like no 14 year old I have ever know, the format of deconstruction then reconstruction of thoughts, and marginal quotations that interrupt the narrative all made for an annoying read.

The point of the book, I gather, is to help facilitate understanding of philisophical ideas and theories. It did that, and while my philosophy professor assured our class we would enjoy the book-I did not.
Andrei Bubeneck
I must say this book was a revelation for me. Although I usually tend to be more interested in science and pragmatic, it opened an important window in my character. Now I really consider studying for a degree in philosophy. I recommend this book to anyone who has that latent curiosity hidden somewhere inside.
Jeff Gunter
Read this for an early philosophy course. Raises all the familiar (101) questions but masks itself as a boy's unrealistic dreams followed by equally unreal tic conversations with his parents following them.
Elisha French
Interesting book even with it being a textbook for my introductory Philosophy class. Found the text approachable and easy to follow. Plan to recommend to anyone interested in this area of study.
Danny Edgel
An amazing introduction to so many philosophical concepts. This book could turn even the most reluctant reader into a philosopher.
Heather
A very existential journey that asks the big questions of life by a 14 yr old. Easy to put down and pick up by nature of chapters
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Aspen Gray
Aspen Gray is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
Andreas Kouzelis
Andreas Kouzelis marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Bryan Neuschwander
Bryan Neuschwander is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Abbey
Abbey marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Kelly Craft
Kelly Craft marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
May 29, 2014
Hugo_hannibal
Hugo_hannibal marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014