Blank-133x176
Take Me Home

Dean Hughes

Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children #4)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  2,148 ratings  ·  34 reviews

From one of the bestselling historical fiction authors in the LDS literary world comes Hearts of the Children, available now for the first time in paperback. In this series, which picks up the next generation of characters from the beloved Children of the Promise books, Dean Hughes tells the gripping story of four young cousins— Gene, Kathy, Diane, and Hans— who experience

Published October 14th 2009 by Deseret Book Company (first published September 2004)

Stan
I think one of the best things about Dean Hughes' authorial style is that it's clean and transparent. The story pulls you in, but you're not constantly being reminded that you're *in* a story--that, to me, is a mark of a skilled author.

I had to laugh, a little, when I realised that after reading (well, listening to) "Far From home," and a few of the sequels, that I had become engrossed in what essentially amounts to and LDS literary soap opera. But Hughes has definitely done his homework, making...more
Stephanie
Stan Crowe

I had to laugh, a little, when I realised that after reading (well, listening to) several of the "Hearts of the Children" series that I had become engrossed in what essentially amounts to and LDS literary soap opera. But Hughes has definitely done his homework, ma...more
Hannah
Oct 10, 2011 Hannah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Children of the Promise and Previous Hearts of the Children Books
Kim
This series seems to get less compelling as it goes along. I'm not sure if it is the 60s subject matter, the political issues, the Vietnam war, or just less compelling characters, but I had a hard time slogging through this one. The book is divided into 4 characters, with each chapter about a different character. I actually read through the book 4 times, by just skipping ahead to keep some continuity of the story. I'll probably read the last book in the series, but I'm taking a break for now.
Amie
Well after weeks I finally finished this, but not because I didn't like it. I've just been too busy to read. At this point in the series, we're still following 4 cousins, and a LOT happens to them. I like where the plot is going and I like where the author is taking the characters. I also like that not everyone's story is happy happy perfect fairy tale ending; it seems more realistic. Of course there still is one book left and I'm sure everything will be tied up nicely.
Barbara
Marie
Diane, Don't go back to Greg. Don't do it!!! Diane is finding herself in her alone time. Working to support her and Jenny and figuring out how to be a single mom. At the end she contemplating going back to the evil monster, people change but I will never believe it. You get one shot, after a divorce...move on honey. Greg is a jerk because he won't deal with his wartime trauma and Kathy is finally getting to be a pleasant character.
Sadie
I am starting to like Kathy's storyline better after reading this book. She eventually gets less annoying by the end. Again, a good story, but nothing I get overly excited about and I'm not sure this series would be one that would come to mind when someone asks me what's a good book to read. I did not, however, feel like I wasted my time reading this one and I'm sure if you are a fan of LDS Fiction you would like this series.
Emilie
This is the sequel series to Children of the Promise Series. It is about the same LDS, just the next generation after WWII. About their struggles and different views people had during my parent's day and age. I enjoyed "living" the history from the 50's to 70's and I would recommend it! He doesn't get involved as much in each person's life because he covers a lot of history and views, but I didn't mind.
Heather
I read this series a few years ago, and checked this one out from the library trying to refresh my mind. I enjoyed reading these books, mostly because of the mix of fictional characters during a historical time. Might be my favorite way to learn history (although probably not the most accurate!). If anyone has access to the fifth and final book, I'd be interested in reading it!
Dad
This is an awesome book. Often, I find myself in deep emotion and shedding tears. I relate to the characters and the setting and the religion. A nice thing for me is the mention of Ogden, where I once lived. To hear things happening at Weber State College and have them driving along Harrison Boulevard is like no other novel I have read.
Kristine
I love this series of books! I really do think, though, that to enjoy this book it is helpful to have read the others of the series. Even though the author tries to give some background info on the different characters, I don't think it would be easy to care about their development without having read the earlier books.
Missy
The series just keeps getting better. I think that is because with each book I become more involved with the characters. In this book a few things happened with some characters that made me really happy so I was pleased with the plot, I won't get into it because I don't want to spoil the story.
Debbie
This series just keeps getting better. I find that I am beginning to really care about the characters. Even though the author uses a lot of stereotypes, the story has evolved in a way that the stereotypes are now only minor irritants. I can hardly wait for the final book in this series.
Jennifer Kunz
Read "The Children of the Promise" first. It talks about a family and their struggle getting through WW11. This book is a following of that family and their struggles with changes in the 60s. With the Cold war, an assassination, women's rights and... hello.... the 60s!
Jenny
I'm liking the story of Kathy the best out of all the characters. She bugged me at first, but she's learning how to accept people, and let changes happen naturally instead of trying to force them. I think I identify with her story more than the others.
Lori
I absolutely love this series.... the best of Dean Hughes! I recommend listening to the audio version of his books as his son Tom Hughes is one of the best readers I've heard. (Almost all my books I "read" via audio.)
Andrea
Loved this book. Love the Thomas family.
If you have problems getting through the teenage drama of Books 1 & 2 in this series, you're not alone. I loved 3, 4, & 5 of this series though.
Great read!
Janae
4th book. I just really enjoyed the series. Super easy to read and I felt like the characters faced many of the issues that people during that time had to face.
Matthew Jarman
Dean Hughes' first war series prompted me to pick up this second one. It was excellent, but not quite as good as the first series.
Lisa
The best of the series so far, more substance and it's nice to see the characters mature and develop.
Lori
This is Volume 4 in the Hearts of the Children series. See Volume 1 for and overview of the series.
Sidney Welch-Huserik
the best thing was being able to check all the books out at the library. Just read on to the next
Jade Fawcett
This is a great one, takes some time to get into but around page 100 or so it gets really good!!!!
Carolyn
I really enjoyed this book. I listened to it on audio and the narrator was excellent.
Jeanne
I loved this book. It shows the struggle of the 1970 and the people that were effected.
Amber
Same as the others, at least Diane is growing up a little.
Hearts of the Children
#4 of 5
Own: CD
Aubrey Harmon
My favorite book of the series!
I Love You Daddy! 1 1 Mar 27, 2014 03:34AM
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
  • Behold the Man (The Kingdom and the Crown, #3)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3: To Decide Our Destiny
  • Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel
6421982
Dean Hughes is the author of more than eighty books for young readers, including the popular sports series Angel Park All-Stars, the Scrappers series, the Nutty series, the widely acclaimed companion novels Family Pose and Team Picture, and Search and Destroy. Soldier Boys was selected for the 2001 New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age list. Dean Hughes and his wife, Kathleen, have three...more
More about Dean Hughes...
Rumors of War (Children of the Promise, #1) When We Meet Again (Children of the Promise, #4) As Long As I Have You (Children of the Promise, #5) Since You Went Away (Children of the Promise, #2) Far From Home (Children of the Promise, #3)

“Sometimes when you're looking for an answer, you search everywhere else before you take a look at what's right in front of you.” 2 likes