Start by marking “Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Take Me Home

Dean Hughes

Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children #4)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,487 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews

From one of the bestselling historical fiction authors in the LDS literary world comes Hearts of the Children, available now for the first time in paperback. In this series, which picks up the next generation of characters from the beloved Children of the Promise books, Dean Hughes tells the gripping story of four young cousins Gene, Kathy, Diane, and Hans who experience a

Published October 14th 2009 by Deseret Book Company (first published September 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Take Me Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Me Home

Stan
Aug 17, 2009 Stan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think one of the best things about Dean Hughes' authorial style is that it's clean and transparent. The story pulls you in, but you're not constantly being reminded that you're *in* a story--that, to me, is a mark of a skilled author.

I had to laugh, a little, when I realised that after reading (well, listening to) "Far From home," and a few of the sequels, that I had become engrossed in what essentially amounts to and LDS literary soap opera. But Hughes has definitely done his homework, making
Marie
Apr 13, 2009 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-books, novels
Diane, Don't go back to Greg. Don't do it!!! Diane is finding herself in her alone time. Working to support her and Jenny and figuring out how to be a single mom. At the end she contemplating going back to the evil monster, people change but I will never believe it. You get one shot, after a divorce...move on honey. Greg is a jerk because he won't deal with his wartime trauma and Kathy is finally getting to be a pleasant character.
Stephanie
Michelle
Jan 11, 2017 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series!
Hannah
Sep 03, 2010 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Children of the Promise and Previous Hearts of the Children Books
Stan Crowe
Jul 15, 2012 Stan Crowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had to laugh, a little, when I realised that after reading (well, listening to) several of the "Hearts of the Children" series that I had become engrossed in what essentially amounts to and LDS literary soap opera. But Hughes has definitely done his homework, ma
Kim
Aug 18, 2010 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series seems to get less compelling as it goes along. I'm not sure if it is the 60s subject matter, the political issues, the Vietnam war, or just less compelling characters, but I had a hard time slogging through this one. The book is divided into 4 characters, with each chapter about a different character. I actually read through the book 4 times, by just skipping ahead to keep some continuity of the story. I'll probably read the last book in the series, but I'm taking a break for now.
Amie
Jan 14, 2010 Amie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well after weeks I finally finished this, but not because I didn't like it. I've just been too busy to read. At this point in the series, we're still following 4 cousins, and a LOT happens to them. I like where the plot is going and I like where the author is taking the characters. I also like that not everyone's story is happy happy perfect fairy tale ending; it seems more realistic. Of course there still is one book left and I'm sure everything will be tied up nicely.
Sadie
I am starting to like Kathy's storyline better after reading this book. She eventually gets less annoying by the end. Again, a good story, but nothing I get overly excited about and I'm not sure this series would be one that would come to mind when someone asks me what's a good book to read. I did not, however, feel like I wasted my time reading this one and I'm sure if you are a fan of LDS Fiction you would like this series.
Barbara
Emilie
Oct 07, 2008 Emilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel series to Children of the Promise Series. It is about the same LDS, just the next generation after WWII. About their struggles and different views people had during my parent's day and age. I enjoyed "living" the history from the 50's to 70's and I would recommend it! He doesn't get involved as much in each person's life because he covers a lot of history and views, but I didn't mind.
Stephanie
Another great addition to the series. I noticed that I was a lot more interested and invested in Diane and Kathy's stories (especially Diane's) than the boys stories and would look ahead to see when their stories were coming up again. There were a lot of interesting insights in each characters perspective though.
Angie
Jun 03, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Dean Hughes really shines when he writes about war, which is a big reason why this book is the strongest of the series so far. What happens to Gene is devastating on so many levels.

I also really enjoyed Diane's storyline this time. Hans took over being the boring one while Diane actually experienced some character growth.
Kristine
Jul 06, 2008 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series of books! I really do think, though, that to enjoy this book it is helpful to have read the others of the series. Even though the author tries to give some background info on the different characters, I don't think it would be easy to care about their development without having read the earlier books.
Rex Cluff
Oct 15, 2014 Rex Cluff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best of the series so far. With only #5 left, it will be hard to beat #4. The book moves quickly as each young person experiences a climax in their troubled lives. Each, in his or her own way, finds peace in the gospel and it is quite moving. I am looking forward to the conclusion that I have begun today.
Dad
Apr 24, 2011 Dad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-fiction
This is an awesome book. Often, I find myself in deep emotion and shedding tears. I relate to the characters and the setting and the religion. A nice thing for me is the mention of Ogden, where I once lived. To hear things happening at Weber State College and have them driving along Harrison Boulevard is like no other novel I have read.
Heather
Apr 27, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I read this series a few years ago, and checked this one out from the library trying to refresh my mind. I enjoyed reading these books, mostly because of the mix of fictional characters during a historical time. Might be my favorite way to learn history (although probably not the most accurate!). If anyone has access to the fifth and final book, I'd be interested in reading it!
Jenny
I'm liking the story of Kathy the best out of all the characters. She bugged me at first, but she's learning how to accept people, and let changes happen naturally instead of trying to force them. I think I identify with her story more than the others.
Lori
Feb 27, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this series.... the best of Dean Hughes! I recommend listening to the audio version of his books as his son Tom Hughes is one of the best readers I've heard. (Almost all my books I "read" via audio.)
Debbie
Jul 19, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better. I find that I am beginning to really care about the characters. Even though the author uses a lot of stereotypes, the story has evolved in a way that the stereotypes are now only minor irritants. I can hardly wait for the final book in this series.
Jennifer Kunz
Sep 01, 2013 Jennifer Kunz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Read "The Children of the Promise" first. It talks about a family and their struggle getting through WW11. This book is a following of that family and their struggles with changes in the 60s. With the Cold war, an assassination, women's rights and... hello.... the 60s!
Andrea
Oct 05, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Love the Thomas family.
If you have problems getting through the teenage drama of Books 1 & 2 in this series, you're not alone. I loved 3, 4, & 5 of this series though.
Great read!
Missy
Jan 07, 2011 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series just keeps getting better. I think that is because with each book I become more involved with the characters. In this book a few things happened with some characters that made me really happy so I was pleased with the plot, I won't get into it because I don't want to spoil the story.
Michael
My mother gave me this series. liked the historical accuracy of many things and the characters. the religious aspect is fine as long as you are prepared for it
'becca
Feb 04, 2009 'becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Kathy's story in this book. I'm starting to breathe easier about Diane's story. And Gene's was horrible to read.
Anya
Jun 03, 2008 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction
Lisa
Apr 21, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best of the series so far, more substance and it's nice to see the characters mature and develop.
Jessica
Mar 13, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in high school and liked it then
Jan 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hearts of the Children
#4 of 5
Own: CD
I Love You Daddy! 1 1 Mar 27, 2014 03:34AM
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown #2)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3: To Decide Our Destiny
  • Tower of Thunder (Tennis Shoes, #9)
6421982
Dean Hughes is the author of more than eighty books for young readers, including the popular sports series Angel Park All-Stars, the Scrappers series, the Nutty series, the widely acclaimed companion novels Family Pose and Team Picture, and Search and Destroy. Soldier Boys was selected for the 2001 New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age list. Dean Hughes and his wife, Kathleen, have three ...more
More about Dean Hughes...

Hearts of the Children (5 books)
  • The Writing on the Wall (Hearts of the Children, #1)
  • Troubled Waters (Hearts of the Children, #2)
  • How Many Roads (Hearts of the Children, #3)
  • So Much of Life Ahead (Hearts of the Children, #5)

“Sometimes when you're looking for an answer, you search everywhere else before you take a look at what's right in front of you.” 4 likes