Start by marking “Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft” as Want to Read:
Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft

Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"Toddler Adoption" looks at the unique joys and challenges of adopting and parenting a toddler. When a child aged is adopted between the ages of 12 to 36 months, they often show signs of cognitive and emotional immaturity, which can cause behavioral and relational issues. This book offers support and practical tools to help parents prepare for and support the toddler's tra ...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Perspectives Pr (first published May 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Toddler Adoption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toddler Adoption

The Brightness of Stars by Lisa  CherryAnother Place at the Table by Kathy HarrisonThe Girls Who Went Away by Ann FesslerThe Lost Daughters of China by Karin EvansThe Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Grigsby Doss
Non-Fiction Books about Adoption/Foster Care
13th out of 263 books — 126 voters
Adopt Without Debt by Julie GummTwenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew by Sherrie EldridgeThe Family of Adoption by Joyce Maguire PavaoToddler Adoption by Mary Hopkins-BestThe Complete Book of International Adoption by Dawn Davenport
Adoption Guides
4th out of 21 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Rachel N
Toddler Adoption reads like a text book with a few personal stories mixed in. It is well written and well-organized - a worthwhile purchase. I gleaned some useful insights and I will likely refer back to this book in years to come.

My frustration with adoption books, so far, is that they are so clinical and theoretical, explaining in great detail the challenges of attachment issues and the deep rooted issues from which they stem. While it is certainly valuable to have an understanding of where yo
Desiree Smolin
I've been a part of the international adoption community for more than a decade now and had heard over and over again what a great book this is. On the positive side, "Toddler Adoption, the Weaver's Craft" contains absolutely essential information about child development and attachment in children. Information that absolutely every prospective adoptive parent should not just know, but mull over in their minds and hearts. Adoption is simply HARD on children. Seeing it through the eyes of the chil ...more
Lt
Before purchasing this book, I would suggest reading up on some of the practices the author recommends. As she writes, "I am an advocate of using therapeutic holding with a rejecting child, and recommend the process described by Dr. Martha Welch".

Children have died from this kind of therapy. "International attention was attracted to the problem of HT (holding therapy) in 2000 when a 10-year-old American girl died in the course of treatment. Other deaths, caused by parents following the advice
Zelda
I'm not sure I'd recommend this book to someone just *thinking* about adoption. That would be like recommending "The Blair Witch Project" to someone just *thinking* about going camping. But, for someone already committed to the idea or in the thick of it, there is valuable information here. Tread cautiously and remember that the author's research is fairly limited in it's scope. Your mileage may vary.
Ami
Some information in this book won't be surprising to any parent who has already raised toddlers, but chapters 6-8 are essential for those adopting toddlers. This book helped me learn how a toddler will grieve and how to support that grief. Would recommend to anyone adopting a toddler.
Haley
Read the first half, skimmed the rest. Made me very sure we were right to adopt a toddler! Which is good since there's no going back now... :) definitely a must-read for those considering or in the midst of a toddler adoption.
Cassandra
Feb 18, 2014 Cassandra rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to adopt toddlers
Recommended to Cassandra by: an adoptive parent
I can see how this book would be extremely useful for those adopting toddlers. My husband and I are adopting a pre-teen but this book was recommended to us regardless of the age we're adopting. I felt it was very useful in becoming aware of all the potential issues you and your child can face, especially if your child is adopted from an orphanage and has any sort of institutional delays.

That said, this book still has the same issue I have with most adoption books. It details the problems you co
smalls
I have to admit I skimmed most of the first section of this book. Not something I normally do. But I am already convinced of adopting a toddler, so I found much of it more for people who are on the fence or just not sure what age child they want. In the middle section of the book I have been much more thorough. More of the information is pertinent and can be useful as long as you realize the events are not for all toddler adoption cases. Much of it is just typical toddler behaviour. For me much ...more
Jessica
We're not adopting a toddler, primarily because this will be our first child and we want to experience (however selfish it may be) infancy. I skimmed most of this book and read the parts that seemed appropriate. I think adopting a toddler is a great thing, just not for us. It seems like much of this book is applicable to people adopting slightly younger or older children. I felt like she was calling me out at times by saying that toddler adoption should be deliberate. I think all adoption aspect ...more
Mary
This is the only book I know of focused on toddler adoption. It's good. But we need a new book, a bunch of them on this topic. There are so many people adopting toddlers that this subject deserves more specific research and writing. I found this book a little bleak. Turns out Moses hasn't struggled with barely any of these issues, and after reading this book, I didn't even know it was possible for things to go this well. But I am a prepare for the worst kind of person, so I appreciated the cando ...more
Meredith
I read this book two months before bringing home my toddler from Ethiopia. It scared the hell out of me. I guess it's always good to expect the worst and hope for the best. Of course, every child is different, but our toddler has adjusted and attached to us like a dream, and none of the nightmarish behaviors described in this book have thus far manifested. That being said, adopting older children is not for the faint of heart; the main message of this book, that adopted children are not blank sl ...more
Mrsinserra
This book was required reading for our adoption. It is enlightening, but scary at the same time. This book only talks about all the bad things that can happen with adopting a toddler. It will be a good reference when we do get our toddler but at the time i first read this- I don't have him or her yet and this book about freaked me out. It will go on my reference shelf- maybe i will update this after we adopt to see if it was actually useful when we have a child.
Jun 08, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read
I'm moving this back to "to read" for a little while. I think it will be a good resource, if we adopt a toddler, but for now, I feel like I'm on information over-load...and to be honest, what I've read so far in this book about attachment and toddler adoption is freaking me out a little. I found The Connected Child to be really helpful, positive, and proactive on some of these issue. Maybe she gets into more practical approaches later in the book.
Jessica
I did not like this book. While much of the book may be what an adoptive parent should realistically expect, it puts toddler adoption in a very negative light. Sure, there are issues inherent with, and unique to toddler adoption, however, the joys so far outweigh the negatives. I can see it being a good book to reference as issues arise, however, it hasn't been worthwhile to me; I could not make it through the book and probably never will.
Rachel
i wasn't super into this book the first time i read it, but once my daughter came home at 16 months old i revisited and found it helpful. the writing style isn't super organized and i think that's what put me off the first time. but there is definitely good info in here on what your toddler will go thru as he or she makes her transition into your family, along with some good suggestions for helping foster attachment.
Amber
Jan 27, 2013 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone considering adoption, family and friends of adoptive parents
After reading the first chapter I wondered why anyone would adopt a toddler, but the author's tone softens up a bit in subsequent chapters. There's no sugar-coating and Hopkins-Best presents the challenges and rewards as thoroughly as possible. She combines her first-hand knowledge of adopting a toddler internationally with anecdotes gathered from other adoptive families.
Shannan
Mar 20, 2008 Shannan marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Obviously I am gearing up for when we get Ruby. Anyone else know of any good adoption books? Including childrens books...I would love to have some childrens books at home about adoption. If you think about it a lot of children's characters were adopted: Harry Potter
Sleeping Beauty
Cinderella
Superman
Spiderman
Stuart Little
Tarzan
Kind of interesting
Sheila Derr
This is an amazingly thorough book! While we have yet to complete our own adoption, we found this book to be very helpful in preparing for the arrival of a toddler. There are many differences between a biological and adopted child, particularly toddlers...this book is a helpful tool in preparing through those days of 'expecting.'
Mirande
I highly recommend this book. It has a great number of anecdotes within the larger text, and these are fascinating/hopeful/helpful/worrying/realistic. An older book, just slightly outdated in some ways, but not in the more important ones.
This book was interesting. I really liked that fact that there was more room for different parenting styles in this book. Ms. Hopkins-Best's personal accounts of how things developed with her child Gustavo were inspiring.
H3idi
I bring this book out time and again. Bought it when we were selected to adopt a toddler, and it's proven useful for adoptive parents.

Would likely be a good read for extended family of adopted kids.
Karla
At excellent resource for adoption, especially children 12-48 months. Great insights and well written. I would recommend for anyone wanting to know more about attachment and adoption in general.
Rhonda
I don't give this book as high of a review because it didn't have as much useful information and could some what fatalistic in my opinion. Not all toddler adoptions are rough.
Betsy Dion
A great book about the joys and challenges of adopting a toddler-aged child. This book covers many things specific to that age group that other books do not delve into.
Carrie
This is written like a doctoral thesis and is tough to digest. I'm sure there is good information in there, I just couldn't finish it.
Linda
Feb 19, 2014 Linda added it
I would definitly recommend this book to anyone looking into adopting a child from foster care. Lots of good information.
Denise
By far the best of the multiple resources on bonding in adoption that I devoured during the three year wait for our daughter.
Kristy
Reading as part of adoption education requirements. Mason will be nearly 3 when we finally get him home.
Hannah
Nov 23, 2010 Hannah added it
Shelves: adoption
a good resource, lots of age-specific details on attachment, grief, development, discipline, etc
Lisa
Very informative and absolutely crucial reading for anyone considering toddler adoption.
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Inside Transracial Adoption
  • Parenting the Hurt Child: Helping Adoptive Families Heal and Grow
  • In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
  • Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
  • Being Adopted: The Lifelong Search for Self
  • Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son: Abandonment, Adoption, and Orphanage Care in China
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
  • The Lost Daughters of China
  • Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother
  • Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other: In Praise of Adoption
  • Building the Bonds of Attachment: Awakening Love in Deeply Troubled Children
  • Forever Lily: An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in China
  • We Belong Together: A Book About Adoption and Families
  • The Primal Wound: Understanding the Adopted Child
Reaching the Hidden Majority: A Leader's Guide to Career Preparation for Disabled Women and Girls