Start by marking “Leaving: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Leaving: A Novel

Leaving: A Novel

In 1959, newly-widowed and pregnant Ruby Washington and her thirteen-year-old half brother, Easton, board a bus in rural South Carolina, destined for Oakland, California. There, far from the violent events that forced her to flee her home, Ruby hopes to make a new life for her family.

Ruby gives birth to a daughter, Lida, and strives to raise the girl and Easton. But as the
Published March 19th 2002 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving

Mocha Girl
Oct 13, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leaving is Richard Dry's debut novel and it is excellent!! It is the story of Ruby Washington's family - three generations and their actions and reactions to survive against all odds. In 1959, Ruby, poor and pregnant, hastily leaves small town Norma, South Carolina for Oakland, California with her younger half brother (Easton) in tow. She moves in with her father and his lover and finds work as a seamstress. Dry then blends in the political and social happenings of the time and we watch how Ruby ...more
Milan Homola
Oct 21, 2014 Milan Homola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Wow this book is gripping, depressing, but most all unveiling ( for a middle class white man). It speaks of multiple generations within one African American family and tells life experiences, pain, and despair that I know nothing about. I felt ignorant as I read the book and yet it felt so real. I find myself driving the neighborhood I live in ( not too far off from some depicted in this novel) and I wonder are there kids sitting in some apartment going through what Love and Lil Pit went through ...more
Cissy Swiernik
Sep 13, 2015 Cissy Swiernik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart wrenching and realistic portrayal of the African American experience through the eyes of three generations of an impoverished family. Jumps through time between the 1960s, 1970s and 1990s, and includes excerpts from writings during slavery. Compassionately and articulately written, detailing harrowing accounts of racism and poverty. May be considered dark or depressing to some, but a very important read for anyone that seeks a deeper understanding of American history.

The author does an
Nakia
Feb 25, 2010 Nakia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice read. It was based in my hometown, so I felt extremely connected to the story. However, the dialogue and whys, whens, and hows of the characters actions didnt flow. I didnt understand the intentions of the characters and the dialogue seemed awkward and forced. I wonder if the author being white, writing a story about Black life, could have something to do with this misstep in the book. Other than that, it was a good book.
Breeann Kaczmarczyk
This book tells the story of one girl's life, along with her brother, daughter, and grandsons. The writer tells the story in bits and pieces. Each story is in chronological order, but each chapter is a different part of one of her family's lives, so you jump from 1950 to 1998 and back. It was an interesting way to write the story. It bothered me a little at first, but I got used to it, and really appreciated the way the story unfolded by the end.
Monique
Loved loved loved this book..it is a moving saga of a family through the years and how the sins of the fathers or ancestors really do influence the present generation and how sometimes its possible to change. This book shifts perception and time periods but is never hard to follow and impossible to forget. Love E, Lil Pit and Ruby will stay with you long after the book is done and that is the mark of a great read..Dont miss this one
Mekka
Mar 18, 2012 Mekka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing.& That Is All.
Kylie Briggs
Jan 14, 2013 Kylie Briggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in my California Ethnic Studies Lit course. Very well written.
Jen
Mar 04, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite novel right now. I read it in school a couple of years ago and got to meet the author. It's neat because parts of the story take place in the East Bay: El Cerrito and Berkeley.
Jenene
Jun 15, 2013 Jenene rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend!
Jolie
Jolie rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2009
Anja
Anja rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2009
Alicia House
Alicia House rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Michael Stockinger
Michael Stockinger rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
amanda
amanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2011
Tracey C
Tracey C rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
AKM
AKM rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Brian Wadlington
Brian Wadlington rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Karren Gilliland
Karren Gilliland rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2010
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2007
Abbe
Abbe rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2009
Carmen Needham
Carmen Needham rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Cher Wollard
Cher Wollard rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Anne Ross
Anne Ross rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016