Leaving: A Novel

Leaving: A Novel

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In 1959, newly-widowed and pregnant Ruby Washington and her thirteen-year-old half brother, Easton, board a bus in rural South Carolina, destined for Oakland, California. There, far from the violent events that forced her to flee her home, Ruby hopes to make a new life for her family.

Ruby gives birth to a daughter, Lida, and strives to raise the girl and Easton. But as the...more
Published March 19th 2002 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2002)

Mocha Girl
Leaving is Richard Dry's debut novel and it is excellent!! It is the story of Ruby Washington's family - three generations and their actions and reactions to survive against all odds. In 1959, Ruby, poor and pregnant, hastily leaves small town Norma, South Carolina for Oakland, California with her younger half brother (Easton) in tow. She moves in with her father and his lover and finds work as a seamstress. Dry then blends in the political and social happenings of the time and we watch how Ruby...more
Breeann Kaczmarczyk
This book tells the story of one girl's life, along with her brother, daughter, and grandsons. The writer tells the story in bits and pieces. Each story is in chronological order, but each chapter is a different part of one of her family's lives, so you jump from 1950 to 1998 and back. It was an interesting way to write the story. It bothered me a little at first, but I got used to it, and really appreciated the way the story unfolded by the end.
Nakia
This book was a nice read. It was based in my hometown, so I felt extremely connected to the story. However, the dialogue and whys, whens, and hows of the characters actions didnt flow. I didnt understand the intentions of the characters and the dialogue seemed awkward and forced. I wonder if the author being white, writing a story about Black life, could have something to do with this misstep in the book. Other than that, it was a good book.
Monique
Loved loved loved this book..it is a moving saga of a family through the years and how the sins of the fathers or ancestors really do influence the present generation and how sometimes its possible to change. This book shifts perception and time periods but is never hard to follow and impossible to forget. Love E, Lil Pit and Ruby will stay with you long after the book is done and that is the mark of a great read..Dont miss this one
Jen
This is my favorite novel right now. I read it in school a couple of years ago and got to meet the author. It's neat because parts of the story take place in the East Bay: El Cerrito and Berkeley.
Kylie Briggs
I first read this in my California Ethnic Studies Lit course. Very well written.
Marcia
This book is excellent. There's not much else to say... I would recommend to anyone.
Mekka
Amazing.& That Is All.
Angelica Hamilton
Angelica Hamilton marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Bridgette
Bridgette marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Michelle Halls
Michelle Halls marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Melony Negron
Melony Negron marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Paul
Paul added it
Jan 25, 2014
Bonita Otey
Bonita Otey marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Katie Egan
Katie Egan marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Pizza
Pizza added it
Nov 20, 2013
Carol Hooks
Carol Hooks marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Sondra
Sondra added it
Sep 23, 2013
Jenene
Jenene marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013