Start by marking “The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin” as Want to Read:
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reggie Perrin #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Originally titled ‘The Death of Reginald Perrin’, this is the book that found national fame when David converted it into a TV series starring Leonard Rossiter. It tells the tale of Reginald Iolanthe Perrin, a senior sales executive at Sunshine Desserts, who behaves more and more strangely, until eventually he leaves all his clothes on a beach, goes off to lead a new life, ...more
Published 1995 by Mandarin Paperbacks (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Shining by Stephen King
Best Books of the Decade: 1970's
394th out of 986 books — 1,075 voters
Anissa of Syria by Zack LoveTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellDavid Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Best Protagonist Ever
20th out of 68 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Tony
Aug 12, 2015 Tony rated it really liked it
THE FALL AND RISE OF REGINALD PERRIN. (1975). David Nobbs. ****.
I was really happy to find a copy of this book, along with its two sequels, at a used book sale. They were in Penguin editions that were not apparently for sale in the U.S. I’m sure that that is not the case now since the series was adapted into a BBC mini-series in the late 1970s and broadcast around the world. I saw the initial run, and, in addition watched the replays as they came on. This still ranks up there as one of the funni
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/caida-y-auge/

Siempre he guardado afinidad lectora con la editorial Impedimenta, especialmente por un catálogo escogido con buen gusto y del que no hay muchas editoriales que se encarguen; un segmento de obras que han escogido son las inglesas, en particular de principios del siglo XX, recuperando de esta manera para los lectores españoles a E. F. Benson, Edmund Crispin o Stella Gibbons, por poner algunos ejemplos estupendos y muy representativos. Ahora han
Ammar
Aug 14, 2015 Ammar rated it liked it
I heard about David Nobbs a few days ago when I read his obituary in The Guardian .

The obituary mentioned the 4 book he wrote about Reginald Perrin and how each book got a BBC television treatment and how witty and satirical they are.

I found the original 3 books and purchased them. I just finished reading the 1st one and I found it very pleasant and funny in a sort of dry British humor.

Reginald Perrin. Mid life crisis. married to Elizabeth. Father of Linda and Mark. Executive sales manager at
Maureen
Apr 20, 2010 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Part 2 in my ongoing series "Stuff I Loved as a Kid That Is Still Ace". And Reggie Perrin is perhaps even MORE ace, now that I know what it is to be a glassy-eyed commuter and cog in the capitalist system. It helps, of course, that in my mind's eye all the scenes are re-enacted by the incomparable Leonard Rossiter. Rest in peace, Lenny. Rest in peace.
Catsalive
Apr 12, 2016 Catsalive rated it really liked it
cover:
Reginald Iolanthe Perrin is sick to death with selling exotic ices at Sunshine Desserts. He's fed up with his boss C. J. who delights in making his life hell. And he's had enough of his eager young assistants who think everything is 'super'.

So begins Reggie's battle against consumerism. Driven to desperation by the rate race and the unpunctuality of Britain's trains, Reggie's small eccentricities escalate to the extreme.

Until, finally, he leaves behind the unacceptable face of capitalism a
Ruth
Mar 31, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
Reginald Perrin is going through something of a mid-life crisis. Sick of the minutiae of his job at Sunshine Desserts, he is driven to desperate measures, and decides to steal a giant lorry shaped like a jelly, fake his own death, and start a new life. This book – the first in a series of three – tells of Reggie’s adventures as he tries to find a meaning to this life.

The very first line – “When Reginald Iolanthe Perrin set out for work on the Thursday morning, he had no intention of calling his
Milady133
Mar 19, 2015 Milady133 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Estoy 3 o 4 estrellas con este libro. Mis expectativas eran que fuera más parecido a Wilt o El anciano que saltó por la ventana y se largó, y aunque indudablemente tiene escenas y pasajes en ese estilo, me parece algo más profundo que esos libros, usando el humor para presentar la "crisis de la mediana edad" o como el protagonista ve la rutina de su vida y se le hace insoportable, tomando decisiones totalmente alocadas intentando romperla y hacerse una vida nueva.
Me ha resultado curiosa también
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2006
A somewhat surreal and bizarre book, revolving around the more serious issue of a man having a rather caricatured mid-life crisis. I loved the first sentence, though it went a little downhill thereafter. Perhaps worth reading once; the occasional humorous moment but not the laugh-aloud hilarity I was promised on the blurb.
Tony
Dec 27, 2013 Tony rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
I revisit this every few years and it touches me more each time. The TV series is wonderful but the book has a magical melancholy all of its own.

The sequels are enormous fun but this first stands above them. Cannot recommend it enough. Quite superb.
Robert C.
Jul 15, 2014 Robert C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If all you remember of Reginald Perrin is from his portrayal by Leonard Rossiter on TV in the seventies, then you need to read this book, because the way Reggie is described, is rather different. But then again, it probably wouldn't help. Lennie made Reggie his own creation and, try as I might, the two are one and the same in my mind.

It seems that they made a US version in the eighties and another UK version in this century, so I might seek them out to see if anything changed.

Any way 'round, thi
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Buena novela de humor negro británico, aunque en ocasiones el carácter pusilánime del protagonista se hace un poco previsible.
Pichicarro
Dec 04, 2013 Pichicarro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Recordaba haber visto la serie cuando era un niño y tenía curiosidad. Humor inglés con algún buen momento, sin más.
John
I loved Reginald Perrin so much when I was young. I can't imagine what childhood would have been like without this and other great comedies that we used to watch. Millions of people used to tune in weekly to watch these - it's hard to imagine such an audience these days.

Apart from The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Leonard Rossiter was the star of another absolute classic that I adored - Rising Damp.

What a great loss it was when he died aged only 57...

It's sad how frequently some of our bes
Colm Mccrory
Apr 05, 2016 Colm Mccrory rated it really liked it
Great book, not much has changed in the office world since the 70s, it would seem. Difficult to read and not see Leonard Rossiter in your head, but that's not a bad thing. Went off the boil a bit after he fakes his own death, and even in a silly book, it got a bit silly.
Mehek Ramzy
Jan 06, 2014 Mehek Ramzy rated it really liked it
Another book I 'borrowed' from my pop. He used to be rolling around when it was shown on TV but I didn't get why. Now, although it is a bit dated in some senses, it makes it feel quaint. However, the themes of the rat race, feeling constrained by social conventions, the monotony of daily life and the need to break away, take a risk and follow your heart, are universal and timeless. It is also extremely funny, with many wry and poignant observations. Touching and inspiring, with subversive and an ...more
Rogue Reader
Wacky British comedy in the vein of Fawlty Towers. True love and the inevitable return to routine wins over male menopause. The British middle class can't possibly be this absurd.
Ben Baker
Sep 01, 2015 Ben Baker rated it it was amazing
Still one of the funniest books ever written with much that didn't make the television adaptations. A sensitive but subjective look at mental health by an author who will be forever missed. Now onto book two...
Mcruz
Oct 13, 2015 Mcruz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro entretenido, con tintes de fábula clásica (un poco La muerte de Iván Ilich, un poco Qué tiempo tan feliz). Eso sí, se supone que es humorístico y yo no me he reído mucho.
Jackie
Mar 14, 2014 Jackie rated it liked it
I enjoyed the WNED series years ago and the book certainly lived up to the ridiculousness of the tv series. Very entertaining!
José Carlos
Los capítulos finales me reconciliaron con una historia que había empezado rayando demasiadas veces lo absurdo.
Hannah
Apr 21, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Ridiculous and funny. Has dated though, and some views make uncomfortable reading with todays political-correctness in mind.
Ainhoa Rebolledo
Sep 25, 2014 Ainhoa Rebolledo rated it it was amazing
Es el mejor libro que he leído este 2014. No voy a necesitar leer nada más siempre y cuando siga en mi mesilla.
José Ramón Rodríguez
Aug 31, 2014 José Ramón Rodríguez rated it really liked it
Humor inglés en estado puro. En la línea de los Tom Sharpe o David Lodge. Muy entretenida.
Gary Dickson
Apr 04, 2015 Gary Dickson rated it it was amazing
I didn't get where I am today by not knowing a cracking great read when I read one.
Jason Blake
Jun 20, 2012 Jason Blake rated it it was amazing
Having loved the BBC television series repeats back when I was a teenager I was amused to receive the box set of DVDs for my 40th Birthday (although I’ve not quite had my midlife crises yet). I really enjoyed it so much that it made me think about the books. Finally finding the time to read, even though it’s a story I was very much looking forward to, I was pleasantly surprised at how close the TV series was/is to the book. Of course you can’t fail to picture Leonard Rossiter and the other actor ...more
Virginia
Sep 27, 2014 Virginia rated it liked it
20 cent book from the op shop. Weirdly amusing and quirky but maybe not everyone's cup of tea.
Matt
Dec 15, 2013 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Not as good as I'd hoped. A bit aged. It's a bit like watching some of the Monty Python sketches having been brought up on the 80's Alternative Comedy scene. They're no longer as cutting edge as they had been, because you've seen contemporary stuff that's been informed by that. Of course, that's not to say that some of The Monty Python stuff isn't timeless. Such as the sketch on Novel Writing as a Spectator Sport... But I digress. Nobbs' tale of Perrin's madness, with incestuous uncles and compl ...more
Simone Colwill
Shelves: humor, british
Chicago
Huw Collingbourne
Mar 08, 2015 Huw Collingbourne rated it liked it
Quite entertaining, funny, sad and bittersweet. But by no means the comic classic I had been expecting.
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • Reasons To Be Cheerful
  • The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories
  • The Beano Book 1960
  • Mrs. Ames
  • Primordial Soup: The Least Worst Scripts (Red Dwarf)
  • Rumpole and the Reign of Terror