Start by marking “Planet India: How the Fastest Growing Democracy Is Transforming America and the World” as Want to Read:

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  38 reviews
India is everywhere: on magazine covers and cinema marquees, at the gym and in the kitchen, in corporate boardrooms and on Capitol Hill. Through incisive reportage and illuminating analysis, Mira Kamdar explores India's astonishing transformation from a developing country into a global powerhouse. She takes us inside India, reporting on the people, companies, and policies ...more
Published February 20th 2007 by Scribner (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Planet India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet India

هــالــه بــاقــر

تساهم شبه القارة الهندية في تكوين نسمة الكرة الأرضية بأكثر من مليار شخص وبسبب هذا العدد الهائل من الارواح فيها نجدهم في كل المجالات المتوفرة في العالم سواءً الجيدة أو السيئة فهم منتشرون في كل مكان وبالتأكيد هم يأثرون ويمسون حياة باقي البلدان لهذا يجب علينا ان لا نتجاهل الفئة الهندية وننظر إليها بأعين الإستحقار فهم بحق يظهرون ويمثلون عالمنا والتباين فيه فبالنسبة لي اعد هذه المنطقة الواقعة على خط الإستواء نموذج مصغر لكوكبنا يحتوي على مشاكله وإزدهاره

ابدعت مي
kennethemenace
This book enumerated on India's current and growing role as an economic powerhouse, and as an important player in international security. However, the book did not do enough to elucidate India's cultural influence. In fact, the author spent more time explaining how America shapes India. It is a good read for a bit of trivia, but the book does nothing to shatter paradigms, and it certainly is not life changing.
Brigdh
Ugh, this book was so boring; it took me forever to finish it. The genre of contemporary issues/political science/news articles-in-book format tends not to produce a lot of page-turners, but this one was particularly bad. It's another of those books (of which I have read many) that attempts to capture a picture of 'modern India', good and bad; Planet India leans very heavily to the 'good' side, probably due to the research all having taken place in 2005-6, pre-Global Recession. On the one hand, ...more
Lauren
Jul 07, 2011 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I'm really happy about this book so far. It's a survey of modern India and its indicativeness (not a word, I know) of global change, much of it positive.
Cathy
All things India.....Planet India provides the reader with a vast array of knowledge and information about the emerging powerhouse country of Asia, and it's expanding recognition in all global areas.

Mira Kamdar satisfies the readers with a passion for India, while at the same time providing much research and an informed knowledge base to placate all serious students and readers on this topic. As a strong, populous democracy with many serious challenges before it India is revealed through various
Matthew
This is the first book in a long, long time that I quit reading. I got about halfway through, and I just couldn't do it anymore.

I know, understand, and agree that India is an important part of our global community. I get that it is important to understand a culture that is such an important player in the world today. But Mira Kamdar's book was written like an impossibly long article.

The introduction held all of the points that were to be discussed throughout the book, and they were concise. Mean
Karim Sayani
Sep 21, 2008 Karim Sayani rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that like learning about India
I really liked this book because it gave me the other side of my home country. It showed me the different unseen issues and dealings of India. I never thought that India had that much information to show to people while speaking economically and politically. India has potential within its people except there are always obstacles for people to express their best. The deficiency of a good running system in the market and government doesn’t do any good in improving India. The talking of making thin ...more
Crossings
With every Desi writer and their brother writing a tome about India’s short and long term fate with the conclusions ranging from over the top optimistic to absolutely dire, the average reader (Desi and otherwise) must view the slew of books on this subject with some consternation not to mention confusion. All opinions, conjectures and projections are not equal and certainly not everyone has the same qualifications to be dispensing the wisdom, foresight and commentary on the future and fortunes o ...more
Heidi
It seems that no matter how old, big, diverse or culturally rich a country is, it is still susceptible to Western influence (or contamination). India may soon surpass China as the most populous country in the world and is also developing quickly from a third world country, with which come all the challenges (problems) that have been plaguing the US and others already. Environmental problems such as pollution and lack of water, economic, health and social problems. Some see India as the test case ...more
Chade66
I really liked this book. Its is written from an southeast asian-centric view point and talks in depth about many economic and global realities that someone who is looking for a casual read about India might find daunting.

It has an interesting section towards the beginning of the book that talks about the media industry and bollywood, interesting timing considering the way that "Slumdog Millionaire" is sweeping the awards ceremonies for film right now.

Parts of it shocked me and some of it made m
Krishna Kumar
Mira explores 21st century India - a country of many contradictions: India is a country undergoing rapid development as the premier destination for software and business process outsourcing, yet at the same time, it is grappling with a host of issues - poverty, poor infrastructure, and social and religious tensions. The book does a great job of showing both the optimism that the country feels and the challenges that it faces.
Nathan
Half of this book tells us what most people already know, or at the very least suspect: India, with vast amounts of human and financial capital, is and will be a major factor in the global economic and cultural scene (I don't need 150 pages of information to understand that the 2nd most populous country on earth is significant.) The other half indicts the social systems that the capitalism glorified in the first half enables. Kamdar is sympathetic, but she seems woefully naive about the root cau ...more
Shikha
Dec 01, 2007 Shikha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in learning more about the world's largest democracy.
Overall, a good read and a decent overview of India's burgeoning status as a world power. However, if you are fairly in the know about India, much of the information is not especially new. Also, towards the end of the book, the reading became a little rushed through, as if Mira Kamdar was trying to meet her deadline. (I found it particularly odd that in the last paragraphs, as she's closing the book about India, she goes into a little blurb about the U.S.-China relations, which was very random.) ...more
Sapna
Even though it is a few years old, I've wanted to read this book for a while and am so glad I did. It was a great modern perspective of India from a woman who was born to an Indian father and an American mom..a few years older than me. Kamdar is a media correspondent on India and writes objectively on the subject but you can feel her connection to the country in a way that many of us native and first generation Indians do. I found this book to be very informative and made me very proud of the pr ...more
Steven
There's a whole slew of books out now with a similar message: watch out american worker! Indians are smart, plentiful and willing to work for less. You're screwed! I work with a lot of people from India. The ones I know are smart, great people. They don't want to live on dirt piles any more than I do. I suspect that as India becomes more affluent, the bargains will dry up. There will be more competition, but there will also be more to do. Somehow I don't feel all that threatened. Maybe I'm naive ...more
Natasa Tovornik
Reading the book it really makes you feel india is on another plante. Grasping the enourmousness of the country, coming from a 2-million population is a challange on his own. There you can really understand what economies of scale mean.

And the country apparently has a strategy. Unbelivable!

And doing good by doing well is it's moto. I cannot believe I knew so little about india before I read this. If one is interested in the world of tommorrow you definately need to read this.
Donna
It start out praising everything about India - it is the best of Asia. Reading it I kept thinking, what about the gap between rich and poor? Environmental issues? Impact of caste? But the last half focuses on all of this. I think it is written more for the Indian diaspora than for the general public in that it mentions many Indian names unfamiliar to the general public. Interesting.
Daniel Lowen
Interesting perspective on modern India, and as an expatriate in Bangalore, I got a better understanding of what was going on around me. I wish it were better written. The first time I saw the word "wholistic", I thought it was a clever, intentional pun, but after the gazillionth time, I realized that neither the author nor her editors could be bothered to use Spell-Check.
Jim
Written in 2007, this book is about the rise of India to become one of the major powers of the world. India has been developing rapidly, but faces problems of extreme inequality as well as serious problems concerning energy, education, health care, disease, and global warming.If India is able to work toward solving these problems, it will be important for the whole planet.
Amanda
I had a hard time getting into this book, and actually was unable to finish it completely by the time it was due back to the library. I didn't like it enough to renew for two more weeks. This book would be good for the hard core non-fiction readers who like textbook-like reading. Personally, I had enough of that in college so it just wasn't for me.
John Jung
I have been curious to know more about contemporary India, and stumbled upon this book after hearing the author give a fascinating lecture. Planet India is very readable as well as informative as the author is quite knowledgeable about the political, social, and economic aspects of this country that will become more important in the coming years.
Julian Haigh
It's written like an overly slick government-sponsored pamphlet on the importance of India. Either that or an overly extended crappy Newsweek article. Dropping names on every page, just seems to show how biased this book is - I'm never reading another Mira Kamdar book again. Waste of time.
Merredith
This was the August book club book for my office book club. It started out interesting, then just started repeating itself. When I found out I had a scheduling conflict with the book club meeting, I decided not to finish this book. The concept was good, I think it could be more succinct.
B
Extremely optimistic -- so much so that it stretches credibility a lot. The warts in this capitalist love story are given a look-over, a band-aid slapped on, and Kamdar moves on. Pretty well-written though, if you like that sort of thing.
Janel C.
Jun 04, 2007 Janel C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in Asia
I learned so much about India and U.S./Indian relations in this fascinating book. The author conducted hundreds of interviews all over India and gives anecdotal evidence to support her empirical claims about India's future.
Kristina
A great up-to-date source for information on India. Tons of statistics and quotes from a myriad of sources. A surprising amount of information on the entertainment industry. Overall, a balanced view of modern India.
Dana
I don't read as much non-fiction as I strive to, but this was a gift - and a great one, at that! Very timely - very fascinating - It was nice to read after I visited India for the first time.
Jay Mehta
HOW INDIA is the rising power and a laboratory for the entire world with its extremes. If India succeeds so will the world. INDIA lives in 19th, 20th and 21st Century at the same time.

Taylor Kate Brown
If you can get past the first two chapters of a rehearsal of Most Awesome Facts of India's Awesomeness, it is a good overview of a very complicated country.
Kandyce
interesting enough, but lots of statistics and three letter acronyms. it didn't change my life- i didn't finish it, and i don't feel like i need to.
  • Billions of Entrepreneurs: How China and India Are Reshaping Their Futures—and Yours
  • The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It Means for All of Us
  • Show Business
  • Karaoke Capitalism: Managing for Mankind
  • Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way
  • Mogul, Mom, & Maid: The Balancing Act of the Modern Woman
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • Last Men Out: The True Story of America's Heroic Final Hours in Vietnam
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • Landslide: LBJ and Ronald Reagan at the Dawn of a New America
  • May You Be the Mother of a Hundred Sons: A Journey Among the Women of India
  • The Art Of The Long View:  Planning For The Future In An Uncertain World
  • In Spite of the Gods: The Strange Rise of Modern India
  • The Idea of India
  • Building Social Business: The New Kind of Capitalism That Serves Humanity's Most Pressing Needs
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2012
  • The Color of Christ: The Son of God and the Saga of Race in America
  • The Graves Are Not Yet Full: Race, Tribe and Power in the Heart of America
Born to a Gujarati father raised in Burma and India and a Danish-American mother raised on a farm in Oregon, Mira Kamdar has navigated between different localities and identities her whole life. As a four-year-old, she asked her mother: “Which way am I half? Up and down? Or sideways?” She is still trying to find the answer to this question.Educated at Reed College, the Johns Hopkins University, an ...more
More about Mira Kamdar...
Motiba's Tattoos India in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)