Start by marking “Planet India: How the Fastest Growing Democracy Is Transforming America and the World” as Want to Read:

India is everywhere: on magazine covers and cinema marquees, at the gym and in the kitchen, in corporate boardrooms and on Capitol Hill. Through incisive reportage and illuminating analysis, Mira Kamdar explores India's astonishing transformation from a developing country into a global powerhouse. She takes us inside India, reporting on the people, companies, and policies ...more
Published February 20th 2007 by Scribner (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Planet India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet India

هــالــه بــاقــر

تساهم شبه القارة الهندية في تكوين نسمة الكرة الأرضية بأكثر من مليار شخص وبسبب هذا العدد الهائل من الارواح فيها نجدهم في كل المجالات المتوفرة في العالم سواءً الجيدة أو السيئة فهم منتشرون في كل مكان وبالتأكيد هم يأثرون ويمسون حياة باقي البلدان لهذا يجب علينا ان لا نتجاهل الفئة الهندية وننظر إليها بأعين الإستحقار فهم بحق يظهرون ويمثلون عالمنا والتباين فيه فبالنسبة لي اعد هذه المنطقة الواقعة على خط الإستواء نموذج مصغر لكوكبنا يحتوي على مشاكله وإزدهاره

ابدعت مي
kenneth
Jun 07, 2014 kenneth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book enumerated on India's current and growing role as an economic powerhouse, and as an important player in international security. However, the book did not do enough to elucidate India's cultural influence. In fact, the author spent more time explaining how America shapes India. It is a good read for a bit of trivia, but the book does nothing to shatter paradigms, and it certainly is not life changing.
Patty
Ugh, this book was so boring; it took me forever to finish it. The genre of contemporary issues/political science/news articles-in-book format tends not to produce a lot of page-turners, but this one was particularly bad. It's another of those books (of which I have read many) that attempts to capture a picture of 'modern India', good and bad; Planet India leans very heavily to the 'good' side, probably due to the research all having taken place in 2005-6, pre-Global Recession. On the one hand, ...more
Lauren
Jul 03, 2007 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I'm really happy about this book so far. It's a survey of modern India and its indicativeness (not a word, I know) of global change, much of it positive.
Faisal ElBeheiry
ممل نوعا ما
Crossings
Sep 21, 2008 Crossings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With every Desi writer and their brother writing a tome about India’s short and long term fate with the conclusions ranging from over the top optimistic to absolutely dire, the average reader (Desi and otherwise) must view the slew of books on this subject with some consternation not to mention confusion. All opinions, conjectures and projections are not equal and certainly not everyone has the same qualifications to be dispensing the wisdom, foresight and commentary on the future and fortunes o ...more
Heidi
Dec 15, 2008 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It seems that no matter how old, big, diverse or culturally rich a country is, it is still susceptible to Western influence (or contamination). India may soon surpass China as the most populous country in the world and is also developing quickly from a third world country, with which come all the challenges (problems) that have been plaguing the US and others already. Environmental problems such as pollution and lack of water, economic, health and social problems. Some see India as the test case ...more
Karim Sayani
Sep 21, 2008 Karim Sayani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that like learning about India
I really liked this book because it gave me the other side of my home country. It showed me the different unseen issues and dealings of India. I never thought that India had that much information to show to people while speaking economically and politically. India has potential within its people except there are always obstacles for people to express their best. The deficiency of a good running system in the market and government doesn’t do any good in improving India. The talking of making thin ...more
Matthew
Aug 03, 2011 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a long, long time that I quit reading. I got about halfway through, and I just couldn't do it anymore.

I know, understand, and agree that India is an important part of our global community. I get that it is important to understand a culture that is such an important player in the world today. But Mira Kamdar's book was written like an impossibly long article.

The introduction held all of the points that were to be discussed throughout the book, and they were concise. Mean
Cathy
Jun 13, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
All things India.....Planet India provides the reader with a vast array of knowledge and information about the emerging powerhouse country of Asia, and it's expanding recognition in all global areas.

Mira Kamdar satisfies the readers with a passion for India, while at the same time providing much research and an informed knowledge base to placate all serious students and readers on this topic. As a strong, populous democracy with many serious challenges before it India is revealed through various
Chade66
Jan 07, 2009 Chade66 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, read-2009
I really liked this book. Its is written from an southeast asian-centric view point and talks in depth about many economic and global realities that someone who is looking for a casual read about India might find daunting.

It has an interesting section towards the beginning of the book that talks about the media industry and bollywood, interesting timing considering the way that "Slumdog Millionaire" is sweeping the awards ceremonies for film right now.

Parts of it shocked me and some of it made m
Shikha
Sep 04, 2007 Shikha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in learning more about the world's largest democracy.
Overall, a good read and a decent overview of India's burgeoning status as a world power. However, if you are fairly in the know about India, much of the information is not especially new. Also, towards the end of the book, the reading became a little rushed through, as if Mira Kamdar was trying to meet her deadline. (I found it particularly odd that in the last paragraphs, as she's closing the book about India, she goes into a little blurb about the U.S.-China relations, which was very random.) ...more
Nathan
Jun 03, 2009 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: franklin-library
Half of this book tells us what most people already know, or at the very least suspect: India, with vast amounts of human and financial capital, is and will be a major factor in the global economic and cultural scene (I don't need 150 pages of information to understand that the 2nd most populous country on earth is significant.) The other half indicts the social systems that the capitalism glorified in the first half enables. Kamdar is sympathetic, but she seems woefully naive about the root cau ...more
Steven
Feb 07, 2009 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's a whole slew of books out now with a similar message: watch out american worker! Indians are smart, plentiful and willing to work for less. You're screwed! I work with a lot of people from India. The ones I know are smart, great people. They don't want to live on dirt piles any more than I do. I suspect that as India becomes more affluent, the bargains will dry up. There will be more competition, but there will also be more to do. Somehow I don't feel all that threatened. Maybe I'm naive ...more
Sapna
Dec 29, 2010 Sapna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it is a few years old, I've wanted to read this book for a while and am so glad I did. It was a great modern perspective of India from a woman who was born to an Indian father and an American mom..a few years older than me. Kamdar is a media correspondent on India and writes objectively on the subject but you can feel her connection to the country in a way that many of us native and first generation Indians do. I found this book to be very informative and made me very proud of the pr ...more
Natasa Tovornik
Aug 03, 2011 Natasa Tovornik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, society
Reading the book it really makes you feel india is on another plante. Grasping the enourmousness of the country, coming from a 2-million population is a challange on his own. There you can really understand what economies of scale mean.

And the country apparently has a strategy. Unbelivable!

And doing good by doing well is it's moto. I cannot believe I knew so little about india before I read this. If one is interested in the world of tommorrow you definately need to read this.
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mira explores 21st century India - a country of many contradictions: India is a country undergoing rapid development as the premier destination for software and business process outsourcing, yet at the same time, it is grappling with a host of issues - poverty, poor infrastructure, and social and religious tensions. The book does a great job of showing both the optimism that the country feels and the challenges that it faces.
Mj
Oct 10, 2016 Mj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read an article on the Internet that felt like it went on and on and on and no matter how far you scroll down, there is no end in sight?

That is this book.

I tend to agree with the premise, which is that we need to look to India as a burgeoning economy with real impact on American life, but everything needed for that is laid out in the introduction. Everything after that is just extra. And that's not necessarily a good thing.
Amanda
Jan 24, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, india
I had a hard time getting into this book, and actually was unable to finish it completely by the time it was due back to the library. I didn't like it enough to renew for two more weeks. This book would be good for the hard core non-fiction readers who like textbook-like reading. Personally, I had enough of that in college so it just wasn't for me.
John Jung
Aug 24, 2010 John Jung rated it it was amazing
I have been curious to know more about contemporary India, and stumbled upon this book after hearing the author give a fascinating lecture. Planet India is very readable as well as informative as the author is quite knowledgeable about the political, social, and economic aspects of this country that will become more important in the coming years.
Daniel Lowen
Interesting perspective on modern India, and as an expatriate in Bangalore, I got a better understanding of what was going on around me. I wish it were better written. The first time I saw the word "wholistic", I thought it was a clever, intentional pun, but after the gazillionth time, I realized that neither the author nor her editors could be bothered to use Spell-Check.
Dave
Jun 24, 2009 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting beginning, focusing on bollywood and the entertainment industry. I come away sensing the dynamic problem of the philosophies Ghandi vs. Technology, the hunger of Captalism vs. the hunger of the poor. I feel she really puts me in the mind, and perhaps, hearts of the elite in India, but not of the poor, those who the system seems to work against.
Donna
Jan 14, 2008 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It start out praising everything about India - it is the best of Asia. Reading it I kept thinking, what about the gap between rich and poor? Environmental issues? Impact of caste? But the last half focuses on all of this. I think it is written more for the Indian diaspora than for the general public in that it mentions many Indian names unfamiliar to the general public. Interesting.
Jim
Oct 29, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 2007, this book is about the rise of India to become one of the major powers of the world. India has been developing rapidly, but faces problems of extreme inequality as well as serious problems concerning energy, education, health care, disease, and global warming.If India is able to work toward solving these problems, it will be important for the whole planet.
Kristina
Jun 20, 2007 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great up-to-date source for information on India. Tons of statistics and quotes from a myriad of sources. A surprising amount of information on the entertainment industry. Overall, a balanced view of modern India.
Julian Haigh
Jul 26, 2011 Julian Haigh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's written like an overly slick government-sponsored pamphlet on the importance of India. Either that or an overly extended crappy Newsweek article. Dropping names on every page, just seems to show how biased this book is - I'm never reading another Mira Kamdar book again. Waste of time.
B
Jan 27, 2013 B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Extremely optimistic -- so much so that it stretches credibility a lot. The warts in this capitalist love story are given a look-over, a band-aid slapped on, and Kamdar moves on. Pretty well-written though, if you like that sort of thing.
Janel C.
Jun 03, 2007 Janel C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in Asia
I learned so much about India and U.S./Indian relations in this fascinating book. The author conducted hundreds of interviews all over India and gives anecdotal evidence to support her empirical claims about India's future.
Merredith
This was the August book club book for my office book club. It started out interesting, then just started repeating itself. When I found out I had a scheduling conflict with the book club meeting, I decided not to finish this book. The concept was good, I think it could be more succinct.
Abeer mohammed
لم استطع اكماله، يتحدث عن نمو الهند اقتصاديا، ولا يستهويني الاقتصاد بشكل عام
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Billions of Entrepreneurs: How China and India Are Reshaping Their Futures—and Yours
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • Karaoke Capitalism: Managing for Mankind
  • Indian Art (Phaidon Art and Ideas)
  • What Works: Gender Equality by Design
  • Herbology At Home: Making Herbal Remedies: Natural health for the whole family - Simple formulas for making remedies at home
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • Chronicles: On Our Political and Economic Crisis
  • Mogul, Mom, & Maid: The Balancing Act of the Modern Woman
  • Last Men Out: The True Story of America's Heroic Final Hours in Vietnam
  • The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It Means for All of Us
  • The Next Africa: An Emerging Continent Becomes a Global Powerhouse
  • Show Business
  • The Color of Christ: The Son of God and the Saga of Race in America
  • Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way
  • May You Be the Mother of a Hundred Sons: A Journey Among the Women of India
  • Landslide: LBJ and Ronald Reagan at the Dawn of a New America
  • The Idea of India
Born to a Gujarati father raised in Burma and India and a Danish-American mother raised on a farm in Oregon, Mira Kamdar has navigated between different localities and identities her whole life. As a four-year-old, she asked her mother: “Which way am I half? Up and down? Or sideways?” She is still trying to find the answer to this question.Educated at Reed College, the Johns Hopkins University, an ...more
More about Mira Kamdar...