Start by marking “Edith Head's Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Edith Head's Hollywood

Edith Head's Hollywood

Rare Hollywood bio-pic, hard cover with dust jacket.
Published October 25th 1983 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Edith Head's Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edith Head's Hollywood

Sophie
Jul 08, 2012 Sophie rated it really liked it
Written after Edith Head died using her tape recorded memoirs, it's a fascinating look at how Head worked her way up from the bottom to become one of the most famous costume designers in Hollywood, dressing literally every star from the 1920s to the 1960s. Edith was always careful to speak well of the stars she dressed, so there isn't much salacious gossip, but it's fascinating to see the behind-the-scenes work of the costume department, and the politics of the studio.
Sandra
I really liked reading about the lady in this book, and how she became a top fashion designer for film stars in the twenties through the eighties. She won 8 Academy Awards for her designs, more than any other woman. She was nominated 35 times. Still designing, she passed away at age 84.
I remember as a young girl watching the Academy Awards and seeing her win many awards for her beautiful designs worn by film stars in that golden era and always dreamed I would become a fashion designer like she
Kayleen
Jun 06, 2016 Kayleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting portrait written postumusly from tapes Edith Head created during her life with an eye to writing her memoirs. I felt having an author put the book together from tapes allowed an outsider to comment on some of the controversy that has followed Head's career.

If you are interested in costume or clothing design you will find this interesting. If you are looking for hollywood gossip look elsewhere.

Personally I enjoyed it and want to sit down and watch the movies she described costumin
LaurieH118
Jun 28, 2015 LaurieH118 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book expecting a lot of Hollywood dish, and in that regard I was a little disappointed. I also wanted new details on costumes from my favorite old movies, and there I was delighted. (The hat Redford wore as Sundance was specially chosen to balance his very square jaw, Bette Davis' famous red dress in Jezebel was really brown because brown photographed better in B&W ... you get the idea.)

But I came away thinking Edith was more fascinating as a marketer than as a designer. Whe
Lauren Whalen
May 08, 2014 Lauren Whalen rated it liked it
Edith Head's Hollywood wasn't the best book. I thought that this book wasn't very descriptive with her life and all of the little details. I thought that it was missing something big, like iy didn't describe her life all the way. I was very bored during most parts and it wasn't very appealing to me. I would recommend this book to anybody who is interested in fashion and designs and stuff like that.
Edith Head was a world famous costume designer for all of the big movies during the early-mid 19
Christina Wehner
Apr 23, 2014 Christina Wehner rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This was a fun read, but every time I intended to sit down and flip through the pictures and start reading, I would find that it was in somebody else's hands. There are quite a generous collection of pictures of Edith Head's costumes, which was half the fun of the book

It's less a biography of her life than of her career. Edith Head started writing it, but passed away before she could finish. Paddy Calistro essentially finished the book, using Head's notes as a kind of thread and template. She cl
Annie
Jan 02, 2012 Annie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, fashion
Fun, interesting, and full of great Hollywood stories. I agree with Paddy Calistro's comment that Edith Head wasn't so much a designer as a great politician, career woman, and a very very hard worker. Not nearly as groundbreaking as her contemporaries, but Head knew how to costume roles well and make people feel comfortable. A worthwhile (and very fast) read.
Kaite
Jan 11, 2016 Kaite rated it really liked it
Edith Head was and remains an institution in Hollywood. A costume designer who worked her way up from a sketch artist to head designer at Paramount Films her career was nothing short of amazing.
This book is a wonderful balance of her words and those of her biographer - it highlights the discrepancies between her views and belief in herself and criticisms levelled against her.
Laurie Brown
Apr 26, 2015 Laurie Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, informative book for lovers of the Golden Age of Hollywood, costume design, movie stars or Edith herself. Lots of great pictures too.
martha
Jan 12, 2016 martha rated it liked it
definitely good, with all the edith head verbatim writing.
Runningrabbit
Jan 03, 2014 Runningrabbit rated it liked it
An incredibly interesting of the history of one of the major designer icons who dressed Hollywood screen stars during the 1940's.
Dianne
Jul 19, 2013 Dianne rated it it was amazing
Great book about old Hollywood. Fashion, people and life. Lots of details. Great for the sewer in you.
Beth E
Sgilman1
Sgilman1 marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Monique Tarkington
Monique Tarkington marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Hannah Delaware
Hannah Delaware marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Will Stotts-Jr
Will Stotts-Jr marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Babe Paukstys
Babe Paukstys marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
AJ
AJ rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Plesinaonet.Pl
Plesinaonet.Pl marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
MargaretMurray
MargaretMurray rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Jeanine
Jeanine marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Geralyn
Geralyn marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
  • Greta Garbo: A Cinematic Legacy
  • Edith Head: The Fifty-Year Career of Hollywood's Greatest Costume Designer
  • Edith Head: The Life and Times of Hollywood's Celebrated Costume Designer
  • The Lonely Life
  • Ginger: My Story
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Service and Style: How the American Department Store Fashioned the Middle Class
  • Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry
  • Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary: Her Private Letters from Inside the Studios of the 1920s
  • It's Only a Movie: A Personal Biography of Alfred Hitchcock
  • Oona Living in the Shadows: A Biography of Oona O'Neill Chaplin
  • The Breakdown of Nations
  • Life is a Banquet
  • Dangerous Curves Atop Hollywood Heels: The Lives, Careers, and Misfortunes of 14 Hard-Luck Girls of the Silent Screen
  • No Bed Of Roses
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Dressed: A Century of Hollywood Costume Design