Start by marking “Dark Angel” as Want to Read:
Dark Angel

Dark Angel (Maplecreek #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  40 reviews
One morning, Leah Kurtz wakes her adopted infant daughter and instantly knows something is terribly wrong. She is convinced that her baby has been switched with another child, but no one believes her. Leah turns to Dr. Mark Morelli, who has come to study the genetic disease that plague Leah's Amish community.
Published September 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Angel

Gina
I really enjoyed it. At first, by halfway through to book, I was finding it a little predictable. But by 3/4's, I was at the edge of the couch! I became completely pissed at Clark and wanted to shoot "Dr. Cutler" myself. (Yes, when reading, I get totally involved - that's just me, lol!) I thought I knew exactly who it was, but when Seth was finding his way out, I knew it couldn't be Brad and Andrea behind it, but totally did not suspect Brad's ex-boss. The book was fast-past with a lot of emotio ...more
Cathy
I found a few confusing, inconsistent areas.

There was a time when Leah was trying to avoid being seen by Jesse, when she crawled under his van. But then when he leaves, she describes laying in the snow. I'm wondering why Jesse didn't see her foot tracks in that snow?

Then there's another where her parents bring boxes to gather up the booze bottles. But it had already been said that she broke them all?

Next, we have Leah knocking the sheriff off the edge of the ravine to his death.
In the next parag
Jim Sinclair
A very enjoyable story! I enjoyed the contrasts - Amish reservation to modern technology, speedy cars to slow buggies, fancy clothes to plain dresses and friends who love each other compared to those who stab each other in the back!
This story has enough going on in it to keep you interested. The main character, Leah is a likeable sort who has the reader sympathizing with her struggles. A particularly interesting thread throughout the story is Leah's internal struggle with her feeling for Mark an
Lori Limberger
Louise
Like the first novel "Dark Harvest", this second was an amazing read! Gripping, page turning, edge of your seat reading.

From back cover:

"One morning Leah Kurtz goes to wake her adopted infant daughter and instantly knows something is terribly wrong. She is convinced that her baby has been switched with another child. Afraid that no one will believe her, Leah turns to an unlikely ally, despite the fact that her Amish community frowns on its members seeking help in the outside world.

Dr. Mark Morel
Gaile
The suspense in here is nearly unbearable. Leah has been allowed to live in the house her deceased friend Barbara. She is also taking care of Barbara's baby Becca. Some children in her community suffer from premature aging, a result of it is thought in breeding. Along comes Dr. Morelli to study genetic illnesses. This Englisher weavees his way into Leah's heart but other forces are at work.
An Amish boy disappears, then Leah discovers Becca has been exchanged for another baby.
This is where the s
S.D.
A bit of romance, a bit of suspense set in a small Amish community. Leah Kurtz is childless and had been left at the altar by her fiancee. Just before dying a close friend and her husband ask Leah to adopt their infant. Enter Doctor Mark Morelli who studies genetic illnesses and what better place to study them than in an Amish community which is plagued by genetic illnesses. But Dr. Mark needs a laisson to the community and offers Leah a job. When Leah's infant daughter is switched with another ...more
Weavre
I love vivid settings, and I'm curious about the Amish. Put both of those into a good story, and I'm on board for all I can get! Part mystery, part romance, this was a good read for passing the time when I just wanted to relax and didn't want to think too hard. I could say the same for the other Karen Harper books set in Amish communities that I've read so far (and probably will)! I really liked the reappearance of characters I'd met before, this time as minor players as Harper took up the story ...more
Beth
So, the bad girl is reading these out of order, as I've not read numbers 1 and 2 of the series. Funny that I grew up in IN, next to OH, but never saw any Amish folk until I lived here in PA. So far, so good with this book. My only complaint/surprise is that the Amish seem more wordly than I would have expected. But perhaps that is my bias or lack of knowledge about their lives.

Finished this quite a while back but never remember to update. I would read another of these.
Catherine
This book was part of a $1 grab bag at the library. I ran across it a few days ago and it seemed interesting -- but then I couldn't put it down! It's the third book in a series, although the author notes at each book can stand alone. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have the first two books nor are they available for the Kindle. This book was a good mystery with a sweet love story worked in. I'd definitely read the other books in this series if I can find them.
Linda L
Harper shows the inside workings of the Amish people. She brings to life a culture that many of us do not understand. Her mysteries are interesting as well as informative. Her characters come to life under her pen and certainly make me wish that I could spend some time as a guest. I tease my sister (Also a Karen Harper) that she needs to write faster as I no sooner finish one book hungry for another. Thank you, Karen, for your well researched novels.
Sammantha
It was an okay book. Alot of the things that happened in the book didn't seem to be like something you would do in real life. Of course, thats how all books are right? Made up fiction, but for an example as the main Amish female character never reported or told anyone right away her baby was missing and replaced with another child. It was just alright for me.
Brenda
I enjoyed the whole trilogy very much. The only thing that 'bugged' me was that character, Brooke, from the 1st 2 books...her name was inexplicably changed to Brett in the 3rd book. She was only mentioned a couple of times, but being that the 1st book was based on her it surprised me that the Author /Editors forgot/changed her name in the final book.
Laurie
A romantic mystery set in the heart of amish country.A doctor comes to study genetic diseases among them and falls in love.Very suspenseful and sweet but i would have liked more about the genetics.Also a little far fetched.But a good book.
Dale
This was the second of Karen Harper's novels about the Amish community and its interactions with our people that I have read. A good mystery with smaller mysteries popping up along the way. A great read from start to finish. I was surprised by the ending and kept being surprised all through the book. Loved it!
Krystal
I wasnt sure if i would like this book at first but i gave it a try and was delightfully pleased. it had a good plot and really i couldnt figure out who was behind it all one minute i thought one person and the next minute i thought it was someone else. i would recommend, it was a good read.
Marti
ordinarily i wouldn't pick out a book to read about a sect, but this was more than just that--with intrigue, mystery and some romance. most of us know very little about the amish community, and this book offers insight into that. lots of action and twists and turns in the plot.
Bonnie
Harper admires and respects the Amish, but doesn't really understand the depth of their retreat from the modern world. Hence, her novels in the Amish series, while interesting, get her Amish characters involved in situations they could never comprehend let alone get involved in.
Marissa
Another fantastic book in this series! I couldn't put it down. It was nice to see Leah appear again, and this time as the main character. It ties up some loose ends from the previous books, but also introduces another compelling mystery.
Jaime
I’d read the first, but not the second, in this trilogy but I don’t really feel like I missed much. The book was quite good. I would read more with these characters. I’d like to know how things turned out when life returned to normal.
Tammy
I loved this book! A must Read. I didn't want to lay it down. You have to keep reading to find out what's going on. You'll think the dead has risen. You'll want to find out who's behind the conspiracy! Great Book!
Beth Dufraine
The ISBN on the book I have is 0-7394-5464-1 (Doubleday Large Print Home Library Edition, same dust jacket as pictured here), but I wasn't able to find it in Goodreads, so I've listed it here for now.
Kalyn
Eh. Amish mystery. Can't really say much else. I want to say it was sort of romancy but on the other hand.... amish? Non-amish doctor? Don't really remember much.
Jason
A gripping tale with a good insight into the lives of Amish people and the choices they've made to shun technology from their lives.
Jami
Kind of an interesting twist with this one, though it still had too much of the same flavor of the other two.
Shasta
This book, like the others in the series was great. Karen Harper really pulls you into the story.
Christy
I did not find this story to be very Christ centered like most Amish fiction is.
Shirley
The setting being an Amish community a real plus, and the story line is good as well.
Mary

My mom gave me this book, but I am not enjoying it.
Helen
Good book! Can't wait to read others from this author.
  • Vanish in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #2)
  • A Prayer for the Night (Ohio Amish Mystery, #5)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • The Survivor (Families of Honor #3)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • Love Finds You in Charm, Ohio
  • The Healing (Kentucky Brothers, #2)
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...
The Last Boleyn The Queen's Governess The First Princess of Wales Mistress Shakespeare The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)