Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection

Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection (Calvin and Hobbes #9)

4.7 of 5 stars 4.70  ·  rating details  ·  11,904 ratings  ·  208 reviews
Calvin and Hobbes the sensationally popular comic strip dynamic duo--are ready to pounce back on bestseller lists nationwide with this all-new collection of daily and color Sunday cartoons. All eight previous Calvin and Hobbes collections have sold more than 1 million copies in the first year of publication.
Published September 3rd 2001 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat

Ron
May not be great literature, but Bill Watterson sees something which most of us don't. My life has been diminished by not having the joy of opening the daily paper to some new insight to ourselves through his eyes.
Annie
Apr 11, 2008 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor
Best comic strip ever, period.
Eleonara
I love Calvin and Hobbes...
Watterson has a great sense of ironic humor. Calvin is the most contradicting 6-year-old that ever lived. On one hand he's this:

or this:

and then he's extremely intelligent on the other hand, and sometimes I don't even understand him.
[image error]
point taken???

Calvin doesn't care much for interaction with other students at his school and instead conversates with his best friend, a stuffed tiger named Hobbes. Their always making smart remarks and doing creatively stupid...more
Greg
Yet another among the books published by Bill Watterson from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that I have enjoyed. My children have literally worn out these collections of C&H comics, and with good reason. C&H is a unique blend of homespun philosophy, side-splitting humor, and insight into the human (child and adult) condition. Watterson's insights into, and sly digs at, various social, familial, and other institutions of modern life are masterful.
Abhishek
Words once again fail me here... Are we even good enough to review a Calvn and Hobbes book? Should mortals attempt to? The stories by Bill Watterson amaze me every single time. I am sure that if it comes down to a verbal duel, I would miserably fail against Calvin. I would simply have to stand back and probably bow in respect to the kid's understanding of the world. For those who have never read a Calvin and Hobbes book ever in their lives, my sympathies are with you! For those who actually have...more
Lightblue
I ♥ Calvin & Hobbes
I fumetti di Calvin & Hobbes sono veramente mitici… hanno la capacità di farmi ridere per giorni, solo ripensando a qualche vignetta. La storia è quella di Calvin, bambino vivace, pieno di idee, entusiasmo, sarcasmo e fantasia. In perenne ricerca di un modo per non andare a scuola e convincere i suoi genitori a fargli fare quello che vuole. Hobbes è il suo tigrotto di peluche che, miracolosamente, quando non ci sono adulti nei paraggi, prende vita e diventa il suo inse...more
Jess
An excellent answer for if ever any one asks you 'what's wrong'?
Yell, Homicidal Jungle Cat! And point wildly over your shoulder.
Mary Catelli
Calvin and Hobbes off adventuring!

A lot of snowman jokes in this one. quite a few of Calvin and Hobbes wildly careening down slopes with Calvin holding forth on this topic or that.

Several of the cognitive dissonance ones where Calvin holds forth in abstruse academia or the the like -- the sort of strips that cause Watterson to observe that Calvin's not meant as a literal six-year-old.

There's a sequence where he and Hobbes plot against Susie, and one where he tries to get Stupendous Man to take h...more
John
I miss Calvin and Hobbes. One of the all time great comics!
Mark
Published in 1994, this is another terrific Calvin & Hobbes collection and whilst it might be almost twenty years old, it’s as timeless as it ever was and great fun to read. The whole book is top class but highlights for me included Calvin getting coded insulting messages, the delight of Fall mornings (ruined by having to go to school!), Dad’s tall tales (the ATM elf and the one who opens the garage door), snowmen, Calvin & Susie playing (drawn as an adult strip), poor Mrs Wormwood (“fiv...more
Earl Grey Tea
Like all of my other reviews of Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes collections, his comics still hold up after twenty years. With more experiences, education, and general knowledge, the humor in these strips are even better.

There are some comics that I instantly recognize from my childhood and still enjoy. Others almost seem new to me. I would have to say that my favorite comic from this entire book was Calvin's mother informing him that he could not build an "anatomically correct snowman" in re...more
Kevin Millan
Calvin and Hobbes are friend bobbes. They have adventures everywhere they go .however Calvin imagination all ways gets the best of him. His imagination always manages to control his life. however his imagination is the thing that keeps his friend Hobbes alive in his mind. Hobbes is his friend that is all ways goes in his adventure .his adventure always get him in trouble that he doesn’t feel he should get on .
the thing that I like about this book Calvin and Hobbes is an amazing comic book.it rea...more
Rachael
Calvin and Hobbes. Pointing out the inequities of life, the irrationality of growing up, the importance of best friends (even if they are imaginary) and the fundamental differences between how people feel and how they actually behave. Also, really smart.
Steve
Calvin and Hobbes is my favourite comic ever produced. I would normally ever say this, but there's no way anything will ever top this series. Every collection of these strips is a treasure. Reserving five stars for the complete collection.
Sara
This was the very first Calvin and Hobbes collection I ever read. I stole it from my big brother and was hooked instantly. I shortly owned far more books than he did and he was soon borrowing from me.
heather van de  mark
calvin and hobbes is nothing short of amazing. read these as a kid and re-read this one after watching the documentary on netflix. absolutely brilliant, every child should be given these comics to read.
Ciara
Nov 15, 2008 Ciara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: calvin & hobbes fans, duh
sorry, but i love me some "calvin & hobbes". it was totally my favorite comic in the toledo "blade" when i was a kid, & i was pretty psyched when i was nine or so & discovered that you could buy comic collections from the scholastic book club. man, i miss the scholastic book club, & the occasional book fairs my elementary school would stage. such good times! anyway, this is a "calvin & hobbes" collection, which means that it ruled. lots of calvin being attacked by hobbes, whi...more
Yousef
Really nice overall. Witty and intelligent, sometimes deeply philosophical, sometimes laugh out loud funny. Relatable characters and art. Actually gets you to think how kids view the world.
Brett Hollinger
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde...more
Jayne Ferst
Calvin and Hobbes, the comic strip drawn by Bill Watterson from 1985 to 1995, explores very human foibles and dreams through the eyes of the protagonist, six-year old Calvin, and his tiger Hobbes, a toy to everyone except him. It can be poignant yet very funny, and Bill’s artistic talent shines through the panels, almost drawing on German expressionism for the use of shadow and and strange angling. He also is a brilliant poet and executor of words – you don’t often get alliterative haikus within...more
Kaethe
Watterson managed to do so much with Calvin and Hobbes, it's kind of amazing. As much as Schulz played with Snoopy's imagination, he totally ignored the imagination of the kids, whereas Watterson gives it life.
JoAnn
best feeling ever: finding a calvin and hobbes book in your basement that you haven't read yet.
Alan
Rediscovering Calvin and Hobbes with the kids. Almost forgot how great these were.
Paul
Why is it that whenever I'm feeling a little low, all I have to do is pull one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the shelf and give it a good re-read to perk me up. I've many other "funny-books", but these are the ones that bring me most joy.
Then, a little after I am done, I start re-realizing that Watterson will probably never do any more, then I get sad again.
I'm very grateful for what I have... and I'll re-read them as many times as I need... I just wish there were more.
OK, now I'm feelin...more
Seth
I love Calvin and Hobbes. This came about as I was a child staying at another parent's home that had a bookshelf filled with about a dozen C&H collections. I read through them within several days. The stories tend to run together a little in my mind, but I enjoyed Calvin's boyish self-centered musings, as well as Hobbes often ridiculous rejoinders. I especially liked the father's explanations of how things worked. If you didn't get it by now, I enjoyed these books. :)
Katrina Anderson
This is my first time reading Calvin and Hobbes, and I am glad I waited. I probably would not have understood the true value of these comics as a child. These are the best comics I have read in a long time. Not only are they funny, but also it raises intellectual questions on art, theology, philosophy, and more. To use a cliché phrase: I could not put it down.
Rebecca
As a teenager, Calvin and Hobbes was outside my personal realm of funny. I honestly just didn't get most of the political banter or boyhood craziness. However, as a mother of a calvin, I giggled and laughed and well, went into to many laughter coughing fits. This is good, very good. I loved the rantings of Calvin and the sly statements of Hobbes. But, most of all, I loved his eye rolling mom. Worth every moment stolen from my children.
Teresa
Calvin & Hobbes classic childhood read, you laugh then at the innocent jokes but when you get older and look back on it, you reminiscence and laugh at childhood be it your own or just overall.

The relationship between Calvin and Hobbes is wonderful, the best bud until the end thing that we all need and deserve, reading the comics again it makes me smile..it's adorable.

I don't know what my childhood would have been without it.
you be wierd dude 4 39 Feb 06, 2012 01:43PM
  • The Curse of Madame "C"
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Billy & Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of...more
More about Bill Watterson...
Calvin and Hobbes The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World

“Calvin: I used to hate writing assignments, but now I enjoy them. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog! Want to see my book report?
Hobbes: (Reading Calvin's paper) "The Dynamics of Interbeing and Monological Imperatives in Dick and Jane: A Study in Psychic Transrelational Gender modes."
Calvin: Academia, here I come!”
552 likes
“From now on, I'm not doing anything I don't want to do! The world owes me happiness, fulfillment and success.... I'm just here to cash in.” 301 likes