Start by marking “Off the Mangrove Coast” as Want to Read:
Off the Mangrove Coast

Off the Mangrove Coast

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Louis L'Amour is an American legend, a master storyteller whose tales of action and heroic adventure echo his own intrepid exploits. Relentless suspense, breathtaking danger, riveting characters-these are the hallmarks of L'Amour's classic fiction. Off the Mangrove Coast collects for the first time in one volume nine of his extraordinary stories-some long out of print and ...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Bantam (first published May 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Mangrove Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Mangrove Coast

S'hi
Such a range of stories and settings means Louis L’Amour likely has written a story for any and everyone. In this collection some of the stories are familiar to me although I don’t think I have specifically read any of his books before. Those people who have read or heard or seen films made from his stories are all likely to have shared them with others over the decades. As I say, he has written widely and prolifically.
Partly why I chose this book at this time is to do with my own research into
Dillon Ketron
This Book Off the Mangrove Coast by Louis L'Amour was a well written collection of stories. Louis L'Amour is an older writer he he wrote books of the old west ranging to a jungle river, city streets and boxing, and the shipping yards. He is a good writer but is more using old fashion writing technique with some harder words and more confusing way of speech at times.

This book ranges from the jungles of Borneo to the hidden canyons of the American West, from small-town fight clubs to a Parisian ca
Benjamin Thomas
This is an eclectic collection of short stories, many of them based on the author’s own experience and background. Louis L’Amour is mostly known for his western fiction of course but his fans know that he has also written “adventure” stories, crime stories and others. This collection includes a couple of western tales but most, including the title story are about WWII era adventure with a nice collection of greedy, grimy bad guys. There are also a couple of nice boxing stories here, enhanced by ...more
Kate G
While spending some time in our local library, I decided to try one of my husband's favorite authors. I chose a novel which turned out to be a good collection of short stories written by Louis L'Amour. He is a great author with a talent in writing action stories. He is well written, although his style and character development would appeal more to men. I liked all of the stories, but was disappointed with the treatment of the female characters. All of the female characters were damsels in distre ...more
Greg
This is clearly some of Louis L'Amour's early writing, a little rougher than his later books, but still enjoyable. While it doesn't have the pizzaz of his westerns for me, the short stories in this small volume are interesting for what they reveal about his early vagabond years. They are a jumble of seafaring stories, professional boxing, adventure stories, and detective stories, most of which he seemed to have some experience at one time or another. I have always liked L'Amour's storytelling, a ...more
Alisha Kennedy
I loved it! Louie L'Amour is awesome. In this collection of short stories, even though I loved them all, my favorite was The Diamond of Jeru.
Ron
What can be better than 9 short stories by the great L'Amour?
Pam
Really enjoyed these short stories.
Susan Fetterer
Every so often I love reading an anthology of short stories---a break from some long non-fiction volumes I periodically assign myself....for balance, I tell myself! Having always thought of Louis L'Amour as strictly a 'cowboy' writer, writing pretty much for men, I found myself delighted with this collection. It's a good exercise to read out of your comfort level every so often.
Fredrick Danysh
A collection of short stories by L'Amour based on his experiences as he traveled the world as a young man. Set in locals from Asia to Paris covering a wide range of scenarios. Vintage L'Amour.
Ryan Mishap
Another collection where L'amour tries to branch out from his Western niche, but you can dress up the cowboy in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, but he still walks like a cowboy.
Eileen
I usually think of Louis L'Amour as a western writer. These short stories are not westerns. The settings are varied places around the world. Wonderfully written.
Cameron
Another good collection of short stories. I have a number of these collections and think they are better than his westerns. just good, cool and easy reads.
Craig
A few good stories, but I guess I do not like short stories. They can only develop one or two characters, and not very much, then it is over. Did not finish
Trudy
Generally I'm not a fan of short story collections, but I really do like Louis L'Amour and my sister and brother both liked it. I did to!
kirsten
I only read the short story "diamonds of Jeru" I really liked it. It was fun and just an easy read.
Elizabeth
Sorta random and I didn't really see the point, but it was an ok read.
Cws
W L'Am
Nolan
Nolan marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Jason
Jason added it
Aug 28, 2015
Mansu
Mansu marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Anthony Lewis
Anthony Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • View from the Summit: The Remarkable Memoir by the First Person to Conquer Everest
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • To the Ends of the Earth: The Selected Travels
  • Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds
  • Whistler's Angel
  • História, História: Two Years in the Cape Verde Islands
  • Breakheart Pass
  • Escape from the Antarctic (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • Flash Point
  • The Untamed
  • The Bradshaw Variations
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • EVE: The Burning Life
  • The Village in the Jungle
  • Lenin's Harem
  • The Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
  • Wrath of the Lion
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods: A Novel