Off the Mangrove Coast

Off the Mangrove Coast

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Louis L'Amour is an American legend, a master storyteller whose tales of action and heroic adventure echo his own intrepid exploits. Relentless suspense, breathtaking danger, riveting characters-these are the hallmarks of L'Amour's classic fiction. Off the Mangrove Coast collects for the first time in one volume nine of his extraordinary stories-some long out of print and...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Bantam (first published May 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Mangrove Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Mangrove Coast

Dillon Ketron
This Book Off the Mangrove Coast by Louis L'Amour was a well written collection of stories. Louis L'Amour is an older writer he he wrote books of the old west ranging to a jungle river, city streets and boxing, and the shipping yards. He is a good writer but is more using old fashion writing technique with some harder words and more confusing way of speech at times.

This book ranges from the jungles of Borneo to the hidden canyons of the American West, from small-town fight clubs to a Parisian ca...more
Kate G
While spending some time in our local library, I decided to try one of my husband's favorite authors. I chose a novel which turned out to be a good collection of short stories written by Louis L'Amour. He is a great author with a talent in writing action stories. He is well written, although his style and character development would appeal more to men. I liked all of the stories, but was disappointed with the treatment of the female characters. All of the female characters were damsels in distre...more
Greg
This is clearly some of Louis L'Amour's early writing, a little rougher than his later books, but still enjoyable. While it doesn't have the pizzaz of his westerns for me, the short stories in this small volume are interesting for what they reveal about his early vagabond years. They are a jumble of seafaring stories, professional boxing, adventure stories, and detective stories, most of which he seemed to have some experience at one time or another. I have always liked L'Amour's storytelling, a...more
Alisha Kennedy
I loved it! Louie L'Amour is awesome. In this collection of short stories, even though I loved them all, my favorite was The Diamond of Jeru.
Susan Fetterer
Every so often I love reading an anthology of short stories---a break from some long non-fiction volumes I periodically assign myself....for balance, I tell myself! Having always thought of Louis L'Amour as strictly a 'cowboy' writer, writing pretty much for men, I found myself delighted with this collection. It's a good exercise to read out of your comfort level every so often.
Fredrick Danysh
A collection of short stories by L'Amour based on his experiences as he traveled the world as a young man. Set in locals from Asia to Paris covering a wide range of scenarios. Vintage L'Amour.
Ryan Mishap
Another collection where L'amour tries to branch out from his Western niche, but you can dress up the cowboy in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, but he still walks like a cowboy.
Eileen
I usually think of Louis L'Amour as a western writer. These short stories are not westerns. The settings are varied places around the world. Wonderfully written.
Cameron
Another good collection of short stories. I have a number of these collections and think they are better than his westerns. just good, cool and easy reads.
Craig
A few good stories, but I guess I do not like short stories. They can only develop one or two characters, and not very much, then it is over. Did not finish
Trudy
Generally I'm not a fan of short story collections, but I really do like Louis L'Amour and my sister and brother both liked it. I did to!
kirsten
I only read the short story "diamonds of Jeru" I really liked it. It was fun and just an easy read.
Elizabeth
Sorta random and I didn't really see the point, but it was an ok read.
Cws
W L'Am
Mike Bellini
Mike Bellini is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
Shelley Little
Shelley Little marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • Desert Gold
  • View from the Summit: The Remarkable Memoir by the First Person to Conquer Everest
  • To the Ends of the Earth: The Selected Travels
  • The Crime of Olga Arbyelina
  • Breakheart Pass
  • A Writer's Notebook
  • Wyoming! (Wagons West, #3)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Eight White Nights
  • The Jericho Sanction (Peter Newman, #2)
  • Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
  • The Bradshaw Variations
  • A Reporter's Life
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods