Start by marking “Stirred But Not Shaken: The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Stirred But Not Shaken: The Autobiography

Stirred But Not Shaken: The Autobiography

Colourful chef Keith Floyd serves up an account of his sweet and sour (and crazy) life. He reveals the ups and downs of his career, and the fortunes won and lost. He also presents an analysis of fame and how it can destroy, and delivers a study of the showbiz characters - good and bad - he encountered.
Published December 1st 2009 by Sidgwick & Jackson Ltd (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Stirred But Not Shaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stirred But Not Shaken

Michelle
Jul 06, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I'm so glad I read this, it's amusing, interesting, sad in parts, and all together a far better book than I'd ever imagined. Though I am not a massive fan of Keith I decided to read this autobiography because on the occasions I've watched his program I've enjoyed his rather bumbling outdoor cooking methods and the whole show and thought what the heck I'll give it a go.
Not knowing much of the man's life apart from his TV antics and his reputation for drinking as he cooks I was amazed by so many
Alan
May 26, 2015 Alan rated it liked it
Keith Floyd, I was interested in this book because Floyd grew up in the same part of the country as myself and most of his (earlier) restaurants were in the area, and Floyds Inn (Sometimes) was just down the road from where we lived later in life. I never met him but he did have quite the reputation. It seems from this book that most of it was true.
Floyd was a great celebrity chef, a bit of a lad, a lot of a drinker and and terrible business man. He made lots of money and lost it on a series of
Roberta McDonnell
As we are wont to remind ourselves when someone passes, 'we will always have what they gave us'. In Floyd's case, what he gave us was much indeed. Essentially it was the passion - for food, for life and even for love, although at his own admission he never seemed to be able to make it last (the love that is). This testament to a touching, hilarious, witty, sometimes vexing but always authentic human being was completely un-put-downable. Luckily I got it as a Mother's Day gift so was able to ...more
Dirty Harry
Feb 17, 2014 Dirty Harry rated it did not like it
You have to understand one thing, its vital, Keith Floyd was my first tv HERO!

The whole family would sit and watch TV together; Dallas, Dynasty, Benny Hill and Keith Floyd.

This autobiography made me realise that he refused to be culpable for any of his actions and mostly blamed all and sundry.

Poorly written, alas; The only real element of this was when he considers his failings as a father and reaches out in particular to his son Patrick.

At least he still brings joy to most of his viewers as his
Bettie☯
Pattie Cook
Apr 30, 2015 Pattie Cook rated it it was amazing
I approached this book with no preconceptions as I have never seen any of Keith Floyd's television programmes. I was absolutely delighted! I rarely read autobiographies and was surprised to discover that I could not put it down. I opened a bottle of champagne and sat in the sun, absorbed - I think that Floydy would have approved!
There was a self-effacing honesty which I found very endearing. Floyd took responsibility for his life; for his triumphs and disasters. I found him very likeable. I thin
Dave Woodley
May 01, 2013 Dave Woodley rated it really liked it
A cracking read about the original TV chef, a genuine character and bon viveur, but also shot through with much sadness. Four times married and several times bankrupt he rarely allowed life to keep him down for long, but you can't help thinking that if only he'd learned a few lessons along the way things might have turned out so much better.
Adam
Mar 15, 2011 Adam rated it it was ok
Keith is on his deathbed and he is bitter. He resents food, he resents his ex-wives, his children, the BBC... he resents pretty much anyone he has ever worked with or even met. He is depressed and openly wishes he will soon die.
This was a surprisingly bleak read. Especially as I was expecting a few fun and light-hearted tales of drunken merriment. I thought you might cheer me up Kieth!
Michelle
Oct 29, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
A good read, although it will make you want a nice glass of red or a G&T whilst reading it. Some might find it slightly scatter-brained with random flashbacks, but that adds to it's genuineness as Floyd's autobiography.
Andy
Sep 19, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
An older, ailing, Floyd looks back, somewhat wistfully, on his life and times. Fascinating, irreverent and touching.
David Highton
did not enjoy this much - he has a victim mentality and the effect of his apparent alcoholism on family and friends is glossed over
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Rosemary wilson
Rosemary wilson rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2009
JJ
JJ rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2012
Shemhazai
Shemhazai rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2016
Leodyk
Leodyk rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Andrea Broomfield
Andrea Broomfield rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Gwilym
Gwilym rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Lorna
Lorna rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2013
Kati
Kati rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2010
Sheryl Clarke
Sheryl Clarke rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Mr S Hardman
Mr S Hardman rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Bernadine
Bernadine rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Kalle
Kalle rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Kvasey
Kvasey rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
thomas nevitt
thomas nevitt rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Keith Floyd was a restauranteur and TV chef who produced many cooking shows, including Floyd on Fish and Floyd on France, for the BBC and Channel 5 and published many books combining cookery and his travels.
Famous for his distinctive bow tie, he talked, drank and cooked whilst imparting his knowledge of classical French cooking to the nation in an unpatronising way.
More about Keith Floyd...