Start by marking “Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Blood Is The Sky

Steve Hamilton

Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight #5)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,766 ratings  ·  111 reviews
When a fire is done, what’s left is only half-destroyed. It is charred and brittle. It is obscene. There is nothing so ugly in all the world as what a fire leaves behind, covered in ashes and smoke and a smell you’ll think about every day for the rest of your life.

Reluctant investigator Alex McKnight finds himself drawn by friendship into a long drive north. The brother of
Audio CD
Published June 10th 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Is The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Is The Sky

Jerry
This is my third novel by Steve Hamilton, and the second in the Alex McKnight series. Steve Hamilton is a great writer, I really enjoy his style. This one is set deep in the Canadian wilderness, with a focus on the relationship between Alex and his good friend and neighbor Vinnie. They take a break from rebuilding Alex's cabin to go find out what has happened to Vinnie's brother, who has gone missing up in the Canadian wilderness. A convicted felon on parole, Vinnie's brother Tom has assumed Vi ...more
Gloria Feit
What are friends for? Well, Alex McKnight demonstrates just that in this novel which takes him and his erstwhile friend, Vinnie Le Blanc, on a stormy adventure way up in the wilds of northern Canada. It starts when Vinnie, with whom Alex has been at odds since an event in the previous novel in the series, asks Alex to help him find his brother, who is days overdue returning home after accompanying a hunting party as their scout at a Canadian lodge.

To complicate matters, Vinnie’s brother Tom is o
Matt Allen
Steve Hamilton writes clean, full-blooded stories. It's impressive how he packs so much of an experience into relatively few words.

I admit it had been a bit since I'd read the last Alex McKnight and I'd forgotten how much I like Hamilton's style. Light prose that packs a great punch. Blood is the Sky is more of the same. I mean this is only a good way--I don't know if I've read a book of this length (barely over three hundred pages for the mass market paperback) that left me feeling as if I'd b
Cindy
There are several reasons why I like Steve Hamilton's books: 1) Set in the UP in places that I have visited. 2) Simple dialogue and description...one needs a break from James Lee Burke occasionally! 3) Interesting plots and lots of action 4) I just like the way Alex McKnight thinks and talks. Quick, easy, satisfying read. And contrary to what others may say, the books don't have to be read in order. There is enough background to explain who the recurring characters are.
Anita
I picked up this paperback and was pleasantly surprised. "An Alex McKnight novel" Vinnie is searching for a brother who went to Canada as a guide for 'businessmen from Detroit'. I loved the combination of hard-core city cop and reservation culture. Good stuff.
Lynette Barfield

Light entertaining action. Not as good as some of his others but still Very readable. Good friends, good food and a certain amount of humor as well as interesting locations help to keep up the suspense and action. I like his writing style a lot.
Harry Roger Williams III
Another gripping adventure. Another chance for series hero Alex McKnight to test the limits of human recuperation and recovery.
This is a hero who suffers without the assurance of survival. He tells you how badly he is hurt, but never says "It's not supposed to be this way."
Bill Belichick says "It is what it is." Alex McKnight says "Pain is not as important as justice." Justice for him is not revenge but rather setting things right when possible, especially when it comes to his friends.
We should
Gina Williams
Alex McKnight is rebuilding the cabin his father built, destroyed by fire, when his neighbor Vinnie, an Ojibwa Indian, lends a hand. As the fall season wanes and winter threatens to halt construction Alex becomes aware of the disappearance of Vinnie's younger brother Tom. Together they set out in search of Tom, and the Detroit businessmen he was guiding for, in northern Ontario's forests only to discover they're following a cold trail. If things weren't already complicated, Vinnie explains that ...more
Randy Daugherty
Blood is the Sky by Steve Hamilton- Tom Leblanc a young man out on parole trying to get his life back in order.Life and money is hard to come by on the Rez unless you work the casinos but Tom cannot obtain work there as he is a felon.Vinnie Leblanc, Tom's brother who himself has tried to get his life in order. Vinnie deals blackjack at the local casino but is the blacksheep of the family. Vinnie lives off the Rez though at times you would never know it.Vinnie has an offer to guide a hunting part ...more
Maddy
RATING: 4.75

At various times in their relationship, Alex McKnight and his best friend, Vinnie Red Sky LeBlanc, an Ojibwa Indian who lives in a nearby cabin rather than on the reservation, find themselves at odds with one another. They always manage to set aside their differences, even though there are sometimes some major issues between them. The relationship between Alex and Vinnie is beautifully drawn. They are definitely brothers in spirit, if not in blood, and come through for each other tim
Lani
I've read and finished a book a day from this series for the past week, and this is his best work yet. Not only is it a crime thriller, it's also a story about friendship, family, and the past. It tells the story in a way that makes everyone so real that it's hard to put the book down. Highly recommended. In fact, if you haven't read any other Steve Hamilton books, you can start with this one. Each book is stand-alone and can be read out of order if really necessary.
Jon
I've been reading these thriller/mysteries in order, and this one is up to the usual standard. I could not imagine what explanation could account for the disappearances and mayhem in this one until it all came together fairly late in the book. And then even tying up the loose ends was exciting. These are all excellent page-turners. Well crafted, good characters, carefully constructed plots.
Ellen Keim
An excellent adventure, thriller and murder mystery novel! I started it around 10 in the evening, which turned out to be a mistake because I ended up staying awake until 3 am finishing it. And it was worth it. I will certainly be looking up more books in this series--I'll just be careful about what time of day I start to read them!

Melissa
Found this series in my local library. I love the character, Alex McKnight, the author has made me emotionally invest in McKnight and root for him while he endures the mysteries and conflict that cross his path and while he tries to get the girl. Great for winter weekends.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Love every single one of Steve Hamilton's Alex McKnight mysteries set in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In this 2003 work, Alex begins to rebuilt his father's cabin, and Vinnie LeBlanc joins in to help with the heavy lifting. More from Vinnie's reservation, about his Ojibwa family and heritage, great background with healing sweats.

Time and distance are collapsed, as Alex thinks nothing of driving 4-10 hours at a stretch, no matter the weather.

Blood is the Sky reaches so far out in the remote C
Carol
Best Steve Hamilton yet. I couldn't put it down to find out what happened even though I know Alex and Vinnie live to be in the next book. A fun break from more serious reading. And still wonderful descriptions of places I have spent a lot of time Bay Mills and the Soo and places I have been Wawa with its goose and Sudbury.
Brian Clapper
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in ...more
Linda
Love this series. Started reading because they take place in the UP of Michigan - a really beautiful area. Alex McKnight is a great character. And I like learning a little about the Ojibwa Indians. This is the best yet in a great series.
Kim
loved it! S Hamilton is getting better with each book. I am not big on coincidences but I can live with the one in this book, wish Hamilton made it a set up instead of a coincidence (without giving anything away, I will leave it vague.) And quite honestly, Hamilton makes the reader think that you can't go into a bar in the Upper Peninsula without running into jackasses and getting beat up, but I know better. Even with these 2 annoying things, I love his books. I read this in one night because I ...more
Patricia
Gripping story line, very relatable characters. The fact that it's set in my favorite place on earth - northern Ontario - is a big bonus.
Eric Eden
This is the third novel I've read by Hamilton. The best was The Lock Artist, which was interesting, inventive, and gripping. This was very good--Hamilton is a capable writer. The story is a bit far fetched and it was hard to suspend my disbelief. Mental chewing gum.
Steve Hamilton writes another winner in his Alex McKnight series, with a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.
Laura Shannon
I am really enjoying this series. This particular installment is one of the best murder mysteries I've read in a long time.
JoDee
While short, this is an engaging story. It begins with humor and ends with tragedy with no wasted time between.
Judith
One of the few mysteries set in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where I grew up. I didn't realize that when I bought it.

Alex McKnight is prevailed upon to find a friend's missing brother, who had taken a group of Detroit businessmen on a hunting trip in the wilds of Canada. The more Alex and his friend, Vinnie LeBlanc, look into this the stranger and more dangerous it appears. Alex and Vinnie find themselves far from any help and sitting ducks as targets.

Complicated, absorbing. And with the bi
Kathleen
enjoyed it enough to want to try others by this author
Dee
Another story about the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. Steve Hamilton, though currently from New York, is a Michigan product. This story is the best Alex McKnight I've read. The mystery travels from the U.P. to Canada searching for the missing hunters from Detroit and Vinnie LeBlanc's brother. It gives you a feel for the isolation for much of the North American continent. Hamilton's knowledge and resources for American Indian lore is also revealed in his stories, especially this one. Similar to Wi ...more
Lori
This was going to decide if I continued the series, as the previous couple were not as good as the first 2. Luckily for me, I liked this one, and want to know more of what Alex McKnight gets up to. Very solid, and I look forward to the next in the series.
Stefani
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #2)
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Starvation Lake, #2)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
LET IT BURN, the next Alex McKnight novel, coming Summer 2013
More about Steve Hamilton...
The Lock Artist A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1) Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8) Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2) North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)

“It was a lesson I had taken most of my life to learn. Sometimes you have to let things go.” 3 likes