Start by marking “There's Treasure Everywhere” as Want to Read:
There's Treasure Everywhere

There's Treasure Everywhere (Calvin and Hobbes #10)

4.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,461 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
In the world that Calvin and his tiger Hobbes share, treasures can be found in the most unlikely places, from the outer regions where Spaceman Spiff travels to the rocks in the backyard--this curious duo roams their world in search of fortunes (and misfortunes!) to be experienced. Whether Calvin and Hobbes are blasting off on another interplanetary adventure or approaching ...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about There's Treasure Everywhere, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtFight Club by Chuck PalahniukThe Green Mile by Stephen KingInto the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Best Books of 1996
38th out of 257 books — 120 voters
Freaks I've Met by Donald JansThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
The Funniest Books Ever Written (Any Genre)
13th out of 249 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Parthiban Sekar
Aug 13, 2015 Parthiban Sekar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics

This is another masterpiece from Sir Bill Watterson. I always wonder how Calvin can think of such insanely intense stuffs sometimes. Or Bill wanted him to think that way... I can't say! If I compare my childhood with Calvin’s, I think I had an awfully boring childhood accepting what I was told, doing what I was asked, and asking what was expected of me. Calvin does none of that… for which he had his own ways, ways which are peculiarly interesting and amusing. You might even call them idiosyncrat
Katie Grace
Feb 15, 2016 Katie Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
These comics, guys. You gotta read them.
Philip
Aug 26, 2012 Philip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sometimes I think books are the only friends worth having.

I thought that strip was very apropos for a goodreads review. And, being that it is a goodreads review I thought it wise to both thank Andrews and McMeel books as well as publish this photo from page 4 of the book:
I'm allowed to use/reproduce these comics in the context of a review.

Thank you, Andrews and McMeel for granting that permission. I'll try my best to honor the integrity laid forth by Watterson.

I should start by saying I was banned from reading Calvin and Hobbes for a number of months when I was in 8th grade. Looking back on this, I'm not sure if the
Prashant

description

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL !

description
PurplyCookie
In the world that Calvin and his tiger Hobbes share, treasures can be found in the most unlikely places, from the outer regions where Spaceman spiff travels to the rocks in the backyard--this curious duo roams their world in search of fortunes (and misfortunes) to be experienced.

The way this strip is most obviously different then all others is the way Watterson uses his comic strip to express, and criticize, moral issues and human nature while still retaining an impeccable sense of raw comedy,
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 31, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
I mentioned before that I love Calvin's imagination and it reminds me of my own childhood (though I never had an imaginary friend IE stuffed friend who occasionally threatened to eat me..)

Also, just an aside, I love Calvin's snowmen/snow sculptures.
The other John
Dec 24, 2007 The other John rated it it was amazing
There is a number of shticks I associate with Calvin and Hobbes--Spaceman Spiff, meetings of G.R.O.S.S., conflicts with Roslyn the babysitter--but it wasn't until I started rereading the strips in order did I appreciate how the strip developed and changed over the years. One thing that surprised me was that the shtick of Calvin's unique snowman creations developed rather late in the series. There have been a few strips here and there in the past collections, but in There's Treasure Everywhere, C ...more
Chrissy
Oct 11, 2012 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012

- Your denial of my victimhood is lowering my self-esteem!
- And people wonder why cats are solitary.
- "I no longer wish to be called 'a boy.'"
"Isn't that what you are?"
"Yes, but I find that term demeaning and sexist."
"What do you want to be called then?"
"A 'chromosomally advantaged youth.'"
"That may not catch on."
stormie
Jun 21, 2011 stormie rated it it was amazing
'anymore, simply acknowledging the issue is a moral victory.' 'well, it just seemed wrong to cheat on an ethics test.' there are /so/ many comic strips with 'older' humor in them that i definitely did not understand when i was about ten years old and first reading them. it's always fun going back and finding little...easter eggs, you could say, when reading things from your past. c&h ilu forever. ...more
Exina
Oct 17, 2013 Exina rated it it was amazing
This book is full of snowmen! Not exactly snowmen of course, but suicidal snowman with hot-water bottle, snow monster, snow UFO, snow shark, and incomputable snowballs... Poor Susie...

There is also lots of philosophizing about life and the world, and lots of battles with the parents, the dinner and the homework.
Amber
Mar 04, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, cartoon-books
I love Calvin and Hobbes. I miss reading them in the paper. I also love how simple the cartoon is drawn. This cartoon is somewhat why I became a graphic designer.
Mark Baker
Jul 06, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
The next to last collection of comic strips from Calvin and Hobbes features the nine month break creator Bill Watterson took. There aren't as many stories, although the familiar themes are still present. And the laughs for fans new and old are just as strong as they were 20 years ago.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Tatiana Gomez
Jan 22, 2014 Tatiana Gomez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, master cartoonist Bill Watterson cuts to the heart of the deepest philosophical issues--existential meaning, life, love, and purpose--in the guise of the hilarious childhood adventures of Calvin and Hobbes. This volume in particular, with an emphasis on Calvin in his snowy days of "artistic expression", seemed particularly poignant in its quiet appreciation of what matters and subtle critiques of what doesn't, while remaining laugh out loud delightful throughout.
So far, my favorite Ca
Paul
Jan 28, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why is it that whenever I'm feeling a little low, all I have to do is pull one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the shelf and give it a good re-read to perk me up. I've many other "funny-books", but these are the ones that bring me most joy.
Then, a little after I am done, I start re-realizing that Watterson will probably never do any more, then I get sad again.
I'm very grateful for what I have... and I'll re-read them as many times as I need... I just wish there were more.
OK, now I'm feelin
Mark
Oct 20, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: calvin-hobbes, comics
Collecting cartoons originally published between August 1993 and April 1995 (including Watterson’s second ‘sabbatical’ from the strip), this is a superb collection made all the better by having the Sunday strips reproduced in full colour. With his usual mix of poignancy and humour, there is more spikiness at modern life evident in this (it’d be interesting to see how Calvin and his parents reacted to 2014 if their worries about life in 1993 are anything to go by) but it works all the better for ...more
Joey
Jul 08, 2014 Joey rated it it was amazing
Magnificent cartooning at its best yet again, this compilation of Calvin and Hobbes includes hundreds of strips that feature Calvin being chased by a bicycle, confronting Miss Wormwood, imagining dinosaurs, and even getting an A on a school assignment. Furthermore, Calvin and Hobbes display a motif of friendship, that some friends were just meant to be together. Calvin finds this in Hobbes, and vice versa.
The book contains 170 pages of comic strips, including color panels for Sunday comics, and
Benjamin R
Aug 03, 2011 Benjamin R rated it it was amazing
IT'S THE BEST CALVIN AND HOBBES COMIC BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edward
Jul 15, 2010 Edward rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it had very funny comics. It is funny how Calvin digs for dinosaur bones, finds a bunch of trash and creates an odd figure with his tiger, Hobbes. Then Calvin and Hobbes plan to sell it to a museum for a billion dollars. But when they show it to Calvin's mom, Calvin's mom says it is just a bunch of trash.
Cris
Jun 12, 2009 Cris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, comics
I've been re-reading a bunch of the comics I enjoyed when I was younger. Calvin & Hobbes is the only comic that still moves me. Watterson's strips are a wonderful blend of humor, whimsy, imagination, and quiet thoughts about life, the universe and everything.

You'll never look at snowmen the same way again!
Dan
Aug 02, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes books are great fun and really witty humor! A childhood staple comic book for me, but even now I go back and read them and understand the humor on a different level (now that I know the meanings of some of the words!). Great books.
Lia
May 25, 2010 Lia rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
My review for all Calvin and Hobbes books is this:

When you need to relax and laugh, this is a great place to go. Watterson is insightful, hilarious, and very, very funny. Highly recommended.

I grew up on C&H, and I'm very glad I did.
Joseph Young
Sep 26, 2015 Joseph Young rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. No doubt about it. The character and stories are fantastic. Calvin is the best mix of young adolecense and thoughtful philosopher. Add in his persistant optimism, and you have book that will make you laugh, cry, and think.
Jeannie
Apr 27, 2009 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comic
Bill Waterson is a philosophical and comic genius! My insides could have burst! My absolute favorite parts are Calvin's snow creations! What animation! I never tire of reading Calvin & Hobbes! Pure pleasure!
Wayne Zill
Jun 22, 2010 Wayne Zill rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wayne by: waynezill@gmail.com
Just got this book for Father's Day in 2010. Although it's been out for a long time, it's still great for a few good laughs, chuckles, and smiles. Gotta love Calvin & Hobbes to take the edge off of life!
Jaimie
Jan 30, 2016 Jaimie rated it it was amazing
Ugh, of course a 6-year old boy like Calvin would think that "treasure" would be worms, bugs, and other disgusting things... That being said, this collection is actually chalk full of philosophical treasure, as Watterson explores the larger themes of the universe. He covers mans' role in the inverse (ie on an individual level pretty much meaningless), the foibles of parenthood, and the harships of a 6-year old with too much social consciousness. Throw in a bunch of Calvin's uniquely deranged sno ...more
Hazel
Aug 04, 2011 Hazel rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Calvin and Hobbes. This is one of the best comic strips ever written. Calvin and Hobbes will make you laugh every time.
Rob
Oct 14, 2011 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Calvin and Hobbs. Child like innocence with an edge of darkness. Perfect
أحمد جمال سعد الدين
Best of the best !
Dan Glover
May 03, 2013 Dan Glover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites, humour
This was the first Calvin and Hobbes I ever read. I was tree planting in the mosquito-infested, freak snow storm-haunted, bear-patrolled and pot smoke-scented forests of northern Alberta, living in a tent village of 3/4 communist hippie film students and 1/4 Bible college students and on a day off I picked up this book. I read it from cover to cover that day off between swapping loads at the coin laundry and I read it about two more times before my next day off. That next day off I bought every ...more
Steve
Sep 03, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Calvin and Hobbes is my favourite comic ever produced. I would normally ever say this, but there's no way anything will ever top this series. Every collection of these strips is a treasure. Reserving five stars for the complete collection.
  • The Far Side Gallery 2
  • Assorted FoxTrot
  • Groovitude: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
  • Supersized (Zits Treasury, #3)
  • Tales Too Ticklish to Tell: Bloom County
  • Sgt. Piggy's Lonely Hearts Club Comic: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling
  • Yukon Ho!
  • Weirdos from Another Planet!
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
  • The Days Are Just Packed: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat
  • It's a Magical World

“Calvin: Look, a dead bird!
Hobbes: It must've hit a window.
Calvin: Isn't it beautiful? It's so delicate. Sighhh... once it's too late, you appreciate what a miracle life is. You realize that nature is ruthless and our existence is very fragile, temporary, and precious. But to go on with your daily affairs, you can't really think about that...which is probably why everyone takes the world for granted and why we act so thoughtlessly. It's very confusing. I suppose it will all make sense when we grow up.
Hobbes: No doubt.”
398 likes
“A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.” 197 likes