Start by marking “Scientific Progress Goes "Boink": A Calvin and Hobbes Collection” as Want to Read:
Scientific Progress Goes "Boink": A Calvin and Hobbes Collection

Scientific Progress Goes "Boink": A Calvin and Hobbes Collection (Calvin and Hobbes #6)

4.72  ·  Rating Details ·  11,331 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
In this collection, Calvin and his tiger-striped sidekick Hobbes are hilarious whether the two are simply lounging around philosophizing about the future of mankind or plotting their latest money-making scheme. Chock-full of the familiar adventures of Spaceman Spiff, findings of Dad's popularity poll, and time travel to the Jurassic Age, Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" is ...more
Published 1991 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Scientific Progress Goes "Boink", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"

Katie Grace
Mar 08, 2016 Katie Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
I LOVE CALVIN AND HOBBES SO MUCH. <3
rahul
Dec 22, 2014 rahul rated it it was amazing
Prashant
Darn it! Can it get even better?

Dana Salman
Dec 07, 2009 Dana Salman rated it it was amazing
Calvin is a hypocritical, imaginative, dim-whitted, self-centered, insensitive, brutish and rambunctious six-year-old. Hobbes is a sarcastic, peace-loving, supportive, somewhat phsychotic stuffed tiger. Together, the two make a whacky, noisy, messy, hilarious, unforgettable pair.

That's alot of meaningless adjectives, among many, to describe two of my favorite characters in the comic strip department. This book especially had me gripped because it contained one of my favorite 'card-board box' sto
Raquel
Sep 06, 2015 Raquel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Calvin & Hobbes' é uma das duplas mais afamadas da banda desenhada de todos os tempos, e no entanto ainda não tinha tido verdadeiramente contacto com a história destes dois pequenos traquinas que Bill Watterson nos apresenta. Dois livros depois, dizer que estou rendida aos seus encantos é pouco.

crítica em
Exina
Feb 08, 2012 Exina rated it it was amazing
A great book of the series again! The title story is the best of all!

The Christmas poem is really charming, I love moments like this. :)

Mont'ster
Oct 01, 2007 Mont'ster rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
Shelves: topshelf, comics, humor
Calvin and Hobbes is always good for a laugh when you're down. But the thing that I love most about Bill Watterson's work is that he has the ability to make you laugh and (in the middle of great big belly laughs) he can "make you go hmmm". Hilarious and thoughtful.
Heatherblakely
Dec 23, 2016 Heatherblakely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-updated
Lots of snowmen and Susie! A+
Ginger
Oct 24, 2015 Ginger rated it really liked it
some days you just need to read a good old fashioned comic strip
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 Mark Austin rated it it was amazing
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Mary Catelli
Oct 27, 2014 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comic-strips
Another of Bill Watterson's works.

The title noise is that of the duplicator producing copies of Calvin -- who didn't think how copies would act. Also appearing are dreams of waking up, snowballs, floating to the ceiling, and growing enormous.
Susan
Feb 22, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
I came across this at the local Goodwill and had to see if Calvin was as funny now as I thought he was then. (1991) I am happy to say Calvin is timeless. I loved it! Giggles and smiles all the way through.
Kathleen
Jan 10, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, comics, anthology, 2014
As ever, this is wonderful. The strip where Calvin and Hobbes get a bedtime story about them made me wibble.
Akemi G
I'm going to say it again: Calvin and Hobbes comics are highly intelligent AND funny!
Cindi
Mar 31, 2015 Cindi rated it liked it
If you want exposure to some pretty awesome vocabulary, make sure you start reading comics! They are educational AND entertaining! How can you get much better than that?
James Buscher
Feb 20, 2017 James Buscher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
I loved Calvin and Hobbes as a kid and have revisited these comics many times. They just keep getting richer. Watterson's genius is not nearly appropriately appreciated. He uses everything from simple visual gags, to rich character comedy, to social and philosophical criticism, to very touching and poignant strips that demonstrate deep family love, sometimes without a single word. These comics have always made me laugh, but now, with a bit more life and a son of my own, a few got me pretty choke ...more
James
Mar 12, 2017 James rated it it was amazing
Always good for a laugh and some insight. A book from my childhood that I owned.
Kimberly
Jan 17, 2017 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Super cute and fun as always!
Christian
Mar 10, 2017 Christian rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes, a classic from my early childhood. This book is fun for any age for its fun laughs and funny scenarios.
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it it was amazing
Bill Watterson does it again with another Calvin & Hobbes collection: Scientific Progress Goes "Boink". Calvin is the kid that we love as another person's child and just pray that we never have one like him. Would he make life interesting? Oh, yes . . . more so than any one of us wants. And Hobbes is a treasure with his wisdom, yet we know he is also just another side of Calvin; sometime rational, sometime animalistic.

This entire book is a smile-fest. Calvin & Hobbes just makes me laugh
Brian
Feb 05, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
You can always depend on Bill Watterson and his brilliant creations Calvin and Hobbes, and in the collection "Scientific Progress Goes Boink" Watterson does not disappoint.
This particular collection deals a lot with Calvin's views on science and technology, and has a wonderful strip about Calvin's attempts to build a "duplicator" so he can replicate himself and avoid dreary chores, school, etc. The results that ensue are clever and also have some philosophical depth, and I found myself laughing
Valerie
Most of the strips in this book are in at least one of the collections. The collections also contain the Sunday strips in COLOR, which is very important. For example, in the strip where Calvin is trapped in a color negative (panting for developer), if you can't see the actual colors things have turned, much of the joke is lost.

Nevertheless, it's worth collecting the original collections, and not only for essential redundancy. The small collections have unique endpages and covers. That alone is w
Deanthony
Hello book fans how y'all doing in y'all's books. We'll if you ask me I'm doing just fine. The book that I'm reading is Calvin and Hobbes Scientific Progress Goes " Boink " . Now this is a great book I think lots of you would like it because if you start this book Calvin and Hobbes are the best of friends. The thing is that Calvin is the only one that can see Hobbes. Hobbes is a stuffed animal that Calvin loves so so much but he wish everyone can see him. They go on adventures everywhere possibl ...more
Willow Redd
Dec 17, 2016 Willow Redd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection includes my absolute favorite Calvin and Hobbes story, the Duplicator. It's even where the title comes from for this one. Calvin makes a duplicate of himself to do his homework for him, but of course it all goes horribly wrong.

Calvin and Hobbes remains, in my mind, the greatest comic strip ever created. Using the power of Calvin's imagination, Watterson can allow himself to write practically any story he wants, play with any art style he's in the mood for. That and the genius wri
Dan
Jan 21, 2008 Dan rated it it was amazing
The characters were named for John Calvin (an christian reformist and idealist) and Thomas Hobbes (a philosopher and essentially a sophist).
Calvin's character is the product of abounding curiosity and imagination as applied to his obliviousness to the stark realities staring him down. Hobbes' role as the perpetually unheeded voice of reason in Calvin's head often forces him to forgo all rationality for the sake of the further exploration of his companion's psychosis.
The philosophical debate
Paul
Feb 01, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
Why is it that whenever I'm feeling a little low, all I have to do is pull one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the shelf and give it a good re-read to perk me up. I've many other "funny-books", but these are the ones that bring me most joy.
Then, a little after I am done, I start re-realizing that Watterson will probably never do any more, then I get sad again.
I'm very grateful for what I have... and I'll re-read them as many times as I need... I just wish there were more.
OK, now I'm feelin
Amber Calkins
Apr 27, 2011 Amber Calkins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Calvin and Hobbes are my go-to best friends. In lieu of the failure of real people to help me out of a slump, lying on the floor and reading about the boy and stuffed tiger bicker about the rules of Calvin Ball or whining about Susie, the Girl-Next-Door always, always brings a smile to my face. Calvin and Hobbes offers so many things - many people enjoy pointing out the serious and political undertones of the strip - but for me, all I need to do is see the childlike innocence that I miss and I'm ...more
B
Jan 02, 2014 B rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde
Michelle
Aug 09, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
What can I say about Calvin and Hobbes that hasn't already been said? Bill Watterson is pure genius. I introduced Calvin and Hobbes to my elementary aged kids when they were in about 1st or 2nd grade. If you have kids who can read, but don't like to, give them Calvin and Hobbes. They will thank you by laughing out loud, and refusing to put the book down to come to dinner, go to bed, bathe,....
Greg
Jul 30, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing
Yet another among the books published by Bill Watterson from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that I have enjoyed. My children have literally worn out these collections of C&H comics, and with good reason. C&H is a unique blend of homespun philosophy, side-splitting humor, and insight into the human (child and adult) condition. Watterson's insights into, and sly digs at, various social, familial, and other institutions of modern life are masterful.
Help me find this book 1 22 Jan 01, 2013 10:03AM
  • Beyond The Far Side
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • The Days Are Just Packed: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • There's Treasure Everywhere: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • It's a Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection

“You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place.'

'That's why animals are so soft and huggy.”
498 likes
“[Calvin and Hobbes are playing Scrabble.]
Calvin: Ha! I've got a great word and it's on a "Double word score" box!
Hobbes: "ZQFMGB" isn't a word! It doesn't even have a vowel!
Calvin: It is so a word! It's a worm found in New Guinea! Everyone knows that!
Hobbes: I'm looking it up.
Calvin: You do, and I'll look up that 12-letter word you played with all the Xs and Js!
Hobbes: What's your score for ZQFMGB?
Calvin: 957.”