Start by marking “Standing for Something Standing for Something” as Want to Read:
Standing for Something Standing for Something

Standing for Something Standing for Something

4.63 of 5 stars 4.63  ·  rating details  ·  11,793 ratings  ·  629 reviews
In this national bestseller, the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gordon B. Hinckley, has created a classic look at the values that can change our world--and how to stand up for them.Drawing on anecdotes from his much-admired life of faith and service, as well as examples from American culture today, he examines ten virtues that have always ill ...more
Published February 18th 2009 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published February 22nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Standing for Something Standing for Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing for Something Standing for Something

Michael
This is a very nice book about virtues. Mr. Hinckley was the head of the Mormon Church for many years, and wrote this book when he was 89 years old. I don't know very much about the Mormons (or rather, I don't understand very much about the Mormons!)but I thought this was wonderful.

Essentially, the author ask people to practice virtues. A virtue is a habit of good or right behavior; almost all virtues are applicable to people who believe in God, or who don't believe in God. Virtues are actions a
Meghan
Jan 30, 2012 Meghan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: religious
Wow what a world this could be if everyone followed the counsel in this book. What I really loved is that the he discusses things in such an optimistic and grandfatherly way. This book could be read by anyone - not just members. How on earth he has the time to read newspapers, magazines and fine literature is beyond me. I guess if he has the time, we all should - what an example! Reading this book makes you want to be a more excellent person that's for sure.
Keith Kendall
Sep 15, 2013 Keith Kendall rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fathers, mothers, sons, daughters
Shelves: religion
Just reading the introduction gives me a thrill as I see how clearly he understands the ills of our time and that the banishment of the name of God from the United States is deeply tied into the problems we are facing. As Margaret Thatcher said: "'You use the name of Deity in the Declaration of Independence and in the Constitution of the United States, and yet you cannot use it in the schoolroom.' Her words are a rebuke and an indictment of America." (Page xx)

"If we are to continue to have the f
Kendel Christensen
Apr 22, 2011 Kendel Christensen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The entire world
Amazing. Absolutely a must-own, must-read. This man distills centuries of wisdom of observation and insight for all--religious and non-religious alike.

“Surely all of us can find a way to incorporate into our daily lives a regular pattern of study, a regular opportunity to grow and absorb and learn from the great writers of the world. I am not suggesting that we become geniuses. Most of us will never fall within that designation. But I have concluded that the work of the world is done by basicall
Brent
One evening when I was a kid, my family had an outing to L.A.'s Chinatown. We went into a gag shop where a plaque was displayed reading: "We get too soon old and too late smart." I've seen the message several times since. Gordon B. Hinckley authored this book when he was old and smart. If you haven't already read it, do it now; and be smart before you get old.
Mattaca Warnick
Jul 24, 2007 Mattaca Warnick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians and moralists
Gordon B. Hinckley, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, provides an overview of 10 forgotten virtues that should be rediscovered by mankind. This is not a Mormon book so much as it is a "moral" book--the principles taught here are non-denominational and could easily be espoused by anyone. An inspiring reminder of what's important.
Ashleigh Harris
A great book for all around practical advice. Very well written from a very intelligent man. If I were going to give a book as a gift for practical advice in life, this is the one that I would give. It touches on a little bit of everything. Plus, the author was a studier of English Literature, which supports that fact that he is brilliant. :)
Sharon
I reread this for a book group coming up, looking for the three most impressive stories or anecdotes. Hinckley is very comfortable telling stories and giving anecdotes. I get the impression that he was well read and know from having seen him, when he was alive, how upbeat and positive a man he was. Each of the first 10 chapters defines a single virtue (love, honesty, work, for instance). The last 2 chapters talk about how marriage (chapter 11) and family (chapter 12) guard and cultivate, in prac ...more
Sara ♥
Sep 15, 2009 Sara ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I love President Hinckley! He's so awesome!

This book was really great. The way in which it was written reminded me of what I sometimes forget to think about, which is that the current President of the Church is not just the spiritual leader of our Church, but is the prophet for the WHOLE WORLD. And the target audience of this book is EVERYONE.

In this book, President Hinckley expressed his growing concerns (in his usual upbeat manner) about the way in which our society is progressing (or rather d
Christina
Beautifully written book about how we can turn our nation around. President Hinckley writes to Americans in general - reminding us that he is a prophet for the world, not just members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I enjoy his powerful way with words and his humor.

I don't usually do this, but I'm going to type his main points in. President Hinckley spotlights 10 virtues that ... umm, read the book title and add "and nation" to the end.

1 - LOVE: One of the greatest challenges
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
O how I love and miss President Hinckley. His optimism and spirit practically drips off the pages! My favorite chapter was the one on leadership. I loved how he said we must realize that the price of leadership is loneliness. Favorite quote-

“Love is the very essence of life. It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Yet it is not found only at the end of the rainbow. Love is at the beginning also, and from it springs the beauty that arched across the sky on a stormy day. Love is the secur
John
This was an enjoyable read. I miss President Gordon B. Hinckley. Few people have influenced my life the way he has. It wasn't possible for me to read this book without hearing his voice in my mind. His mannerisms, expressions, and inflections all seemed to be present. But more than the familiarity of his message, I love President Hinckley’s outlook on life. He has an optimism that is realistic. He exemplifies a perfect brightness of hope and how to get there. While life is full of difficult chal ...more
Shera
Very nice; very sweet; and oh so dear to me; Not only do I love this old-fashioned book on virtues (we all need a good old-fashioned reminder on how things used to be, and how we can keep some of that in our life today); but you can't even imagine the feeling of reading this book for comfort after losing my Dad, and then unpacking one of his boxes and dusting it off. Just knowing we each had it on our bookshelf is sustaining; remarkable; soothing; eternal. I really enjoy this book; love, Shera
Dawn
Dec 15, 2007 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone over 16
I really appreciated how this book pointed out the steps of a smart relationship not only with yourself, but with God. Pres. Hinckley really resounded on the characteristics of a sound moral person and how to spread those morals to others through example, family, and other means. By reading this book, one can really find something to stand for - stand up for, stand up to, and stand up period. It helps you find what you're willing to stand up for, also. Great book!
Craig&kerri
You absolutely get drawn into this book. Mr. Hinckley has a wonderful sense of storytelling and sense of humor that makes sense of sometimes otherwise difficult to understand concepts. This man was truly awesome. You will feel a little better about yourself and the world around you each day you read this book and gives some very practical things each person can do to improve the world we live in every day.
Darci
Goodbye Dr. Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Dr. Phil, Zig Ziglar, Stephen Covey, etc.... All we need is this book by Gordon B. Hinckley to become a good people, happy, and successful. Refining our values is the path to a better world. Parallels his book Way To Be! (written for YA). OK, not really goodbye to those others, they all have great insight and wisdom too, but it's all combined in Hinckley's book.
Greg
This book describes in a clear and fundamental way how the future of our country and our society is in the homes of families. The 10 virtues discussed are so simple and widely known, but are equally dismissed or ignored. Reading this was like hearing President Hinckley over the pulpit again, and I felt a huge surge of hope and confidence as I flipped through the pages. I loved this book and plan on returning to it again and again, especially the last few chapters on the value of the home and the ...more
Michelle Caudle
Aug 17, 2008 Michelle Caudle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I've read this book twice but it was awhile back (I had more time to read back when I drove potato truck!!)and I really need to read it again. I do remember that I really enjoyed it and that it's one of those books that's good to read about once a year to remind you of some of the things we should be doing in our lives!!
Sukhada Chaudhary
A simple book about lost virtues that form the essence of who we are, as men and women. A great read if you want to reinstate the faith in the worldly ideals and virtues that make us all better human beings :)
Rebecca
An excellent look at what we can do to have happy lives, healthy homes and intact families. If the world took this book as seriously as they do Al Gore's, the world wouldn't need saving. It already would be. =)
Amber
This was a great book that is a reminder to me of the many reasons why families and values are so important in my life. "No nation can rise above the strength of its homes or the virtue of its people."
Robin Henicksman
Gordon B. Hinckley talks about virtues that have been neglected. Such as love, hope, virtue, and many others. He talks about how we should help others and greet the family with love and respect. We need to love our families, and teach them how to work and serve others. We need to show the children how much we pray and other things that the commandments tell us to do.

I really liked this book. Young adults can use this book to see these virtues that are missing in their lives and the ones that the
Shana Wolfe
An amazing book written by President Gordon B Hinckley, Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It was written with careful and prayerful consideration for the challenges we face in our modern world. Any LDS or non-LDS reader will gain wisdom and insight into those virtues that have somehow been lost in the rush of out modern world to survive. The title is apropos for what will be found inside. I shared this book with several of my non-LDS friends and they loved it and gained ...more
Julie
I can't say enough about the insights in this book. I highly recommend it. Great advice and counsel from the ultimate "counselor."
Christy
Loved the principles, the stories, and love the author. He was wonderful example of everything talked about in this book.
Catherine Stirling
No one can argue with these ten virtues; an individual or family could only benefit from cultivating them in their lives.
Just when you think there is no good going on in the world, read this and see a very positive outlook on life.
Amy
LOVE this book- quick read but memorable long after reading it!
Janene
A nice little Sunday read. I liked how timeless and non-denominational it felt. The values discussed here really are the bare bones of what would help make each of us a better person. I recall a little section on values to teach your children, which will definitely serve as a reference point for me on occasion.

A couple of favorite quotes:

"Imagine how our own families, let alone the world, would change if we vowed to keep faith with one another, strengthen one another, look for and accentuate the
  • No Doubt About It
  • The Holy Temple
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Small and Simple Things
  • Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
President Hinckley was known, even at the age of 95, as a tireless leader who always put in a full day at the office and traveled extensively around the world to mix with Church members, now numbering nearly 13 million in 171 nations.

His quick wit and humor, combined with an eloquent style at the pulpit, made him one of the most loved of modern Church leaders. A profoundly spiritual man, he had a
More about Gordon B. Hinckley...
Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life Stand a Little Taller Truth Restored One Bright Shining Hope Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley

“Let us never forget to pray. God lives. He is near. He is real. He is not only aware of us but cares for us. He is our Father. He is accessible to all who will seek Him.” 831 likes
“The willingness to forgive is a sign of spiritual and emotional maturity. It is one of the great virtues to which we all should aspire. Imagine a world filled with individuals willing both to apologize and to accept an apology. Is there any problem that could not be solved among people who possessed the humility and largeness of spirit and soul to do either -- or both -- when needed?” 743 likes