Start by marking “A.L.T.: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
A.L.T.: A Memoir

A.L.T.: A Memoir

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
One of the most striking figures in international style offers a unique and unforgettable memoir of the two women who shaped his dreams, tastes, and character.

“My grandmother and Mrs. Vreeland had similar ways of appreciating luxury,” writes André Leon Talley, “because they both believed in the importance of its most essential underpinning: polish.” In A.L.T., Vogue’s edit
Published April 8th 2003 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about A.L.T., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A.L.T.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouNarrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick DouglassSoul on Ice by Eldridge CleaverBlack Boy by Richard Wright
African American Memoirs
122nd out of 168 books — 122 voters
Champagne Supernovas by Maureen CallahanDior by Patrick DemarchelierVogue Weddings by Hamish BowlesManolo Blahnik and the Tale of the Elves and the Shoemaker by Camilla MortonGrace by Grace Coddington
Fashion
60th out of 117 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth
Jul 26, 2015 Beth rated it it was ok
Was so disappointed by this book. I admire Andre a lot and have enjoyed reading his columns in Vogue and seeing his appearances on TV. This book didn't really give me much information about his life. The majority of the book was about his mentors and family, especially his grandmother. It took almost 100 pages to hear about anyone besides his grandmother and aunt. I get that you need to know the people around a person to understand them, but I felt there was very little about Andre. I also wish ...more
James
Nov 23, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
Andre Leon Talley is one figure from the fashion world that people who don't really follow fashion might know, if for no other reason than that he's 6'7" tall and often dresses flamboyantly in capes and flowing robes. Fashion is considered by many people to be a trivial and superficial endeavor, so you'd think a memoir by one of the leading figures in fashion journalism would also be full of shallow nonsense and catty gossip. But "A.L.T.: A Memoir" is nothing like that.

Talley does name-drop in t
queen esther
Jun 10, 2008 queen esther rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in fashion
Shelves: memoirs
Rachael
Nov 03, 2012 Rachael rated it liked it
I quite liked this book. It took me a while to get through it, but it was worth it. A.L.T did what any good autobiography or memoir should do. It should educate you about the internal life/private life of that person. All I knew of Andre Leon Talley was his public persona and the fact that he was one of very few African-American men in the upper echelons of fashion. It was interesting learning about his early life and how he got into fashion.

I really enjoyed how much time and effort he put into
Joshunda Sanders
Oct 30, 2009 Joshunda Sanders rated it really liked it
Andre Leon Talley is a gifted storyteller, reared in North Carolina and raised by his grandmother and Diana Vreeland, a former Vogue editor. Before I read this book, I really didn't know what to make of him, but I loved that he was so tall -- 6'8'' -- and seemed to lack any self-consciousness. His attention to detail, hustle and commitment to seeing the beauty in all things comes through in his memoir, and it's clear to see after reading the book how he came to be the uniquely stylish man he is. ...more
Catalina
Jan 06, 2016 Catalina rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
The storytelling got a little repetitive. I enjoyed aspects if the book, I thought it came alive the most the first time we hear about the grandmother and Mrs. Vreeland and when he discusses moving to New York. The rest is a rehashing of his life through the influences of these two women, which is integral to who he is, but I wanted more gritty detail of his work in fashion; more anecdotes.
Erika
Jun 05, 2013 Erika rated it it was amazing
Will reread this book shortly. I so much enjoyed it when I first read it, shortly after it was first published. I love ALT for his integrity and style. It also amazes me that we - although we have hugely different lives in opposite parts of the world - share so many values and experiences from our upbringing. Intriguing but also encourageing. Beautiful book.
Sarah Fowler
Feb 19, 2011 Sarah Fowler rated it really liked it
Very different from what I expected, this is Talley's masterful portrait of who he is-- largely influenced by his Southern grandmother and the incomparable Diana Vreeland. There is also a glimpse at the human beings behind the biggest fashion houses, and there's nary a hint of elitism in sight. A very enjoyable read.
Susan Sanderman
Nov 18, 2012 Susan Sanderman rated it it was ok
Talley is a 6-foot-6 inch black man from rural North Carolina who ended up going into fashion, befriending Diana Vreeland and working for Vogue magazine. This memoir covered his childhood in loving detail but was disappointingly short on later years and celebrities/gossip for my taste.
Mary
May 18, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mary by: Andy Salzer
I learned what it means to work hard. Got to see Andre speak about this book in person and he is a man who writes as he speaks. Appreciating the finer things while remembering simple luxuries.
Dec 17, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
Did you know that Andre Leon Talley is not just a taste-maker but a deeply religious man? Did you know that he, like Proust, completely idolized his grandmother? Well now you know.
Tamara Evans
A great descriptive read chronicling Talley's life from being raised by his grandma in Durham, North Carolina to becoming one of the most respected names in the fashion industry.
Christopher Todd
Aug 16, 2013 Christopher Todd rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! DAZZLING! I am utterly impressed, whilst simultaneous inspired. Talley's memoir paints a vivid portrait of his lush life in the world of fashion. A must read
Zinaj
Feb 16, 2013 Zinaj rated it it was amazing
great read...very inspirational. loved to read Andre's tales of life in the city and country.
SunnyD
sucked. i didn't even finish it. he needs to stick to fashion -- he is not a writer.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Shannon Fox
Shannon Fox marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Raquel Coltrinari
Raquel Coltrinari marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Weld
Weld added it
Jun 10, 2016
Carter Herrington
Carter Herrington rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Londeka Ndukuda
Londeka Ndukuda marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Elisa
Elisa rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Kanzas Gray
Kanzas Gray marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Kira Plastinina
Kira Plastinina marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Flavia
Flavia marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
  • Roots of Style: Weaving Together Life, Love, and Fashion
  • D.V.
  • Diana Vreeland
  • Grace: Thirty Years Of Fashion At Vogue.
  • Blow by Blow: The Story of Isabella Blow
  • Alek: From Sudanese Refugee to International Supermodel
  • The Language of Clothes
  • War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry
  • Confessions of a Window Dresser
  • The Sartorialist: Closer
  • Kevyn Aucoin, a Beautiful Life: The Success, Struggles, and Beauty Secrets of a Legendary Makeup Artist
  • Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life