Start by marking “A.L.T.: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
A.L.T.: A Memoir

A.L.T.: A Memoir

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  15 reviews
One of the most striking figures in international style offers a unique and unforgettable memoir of the two women who shaped his dreams, tastes, and character.

“My grandmother and Mrs. Vreeland had similar ways of appreciating luxury,” writes André Leon Talley, “because they both believed in the importance of its most essential underpinning: polish.” In A.L.T., Vogue’s edit
Published April 8th 2003 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about A.L.T., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A.L.T.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouNarrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick DouglassSoul on Ice by Eldridge CleaverBlack Boy by Richard Wright
African American Memoirs
121st out of 167 books — 120 voters
Dior by Patrick DemarchelierVogue Weddings by Hamish BowlesManolo Blahnik and the Tale of the Elves and the Shoemaker by Camilla MortonIn Vogue by Norberto AngelettiGrace by Peter Lindbergh
55th out of 116 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Was so disappointed by this book. I admire Andre a lot and have enjoyed reading his columns in Vogue and seeing his appearances on TV. This book didn't really give me much information about his life. The majority of the book was about his mentors and family, especially his grandmother. It took almost 100 pages to hear about anyone besides his grandmother and aunt. I get that you need to know the people around a person to understand them, but I felt there was very little about Andre. I also wish ...more
Andre Leon Talley is one figure from the fashion world that people who don't really follow fashion might know, if for no other reason than that he's 6'7" tall and often dresses flamboyantly in capes and flowing robes. Fashion is considered by many people to be a trivial and superficial endeavor, so you'd think a memoir by one of the leading figures in fashion journalism would also be full of shallow nonsense and catty gossip. But "A.L.T.: A Memoir" is nothing like that.

Talley does name-drop in t
queen esther
Jun 10, 2008 queen esther rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in fashion
Shelves: memoirs
I quite liked this book. It took me a while to get through it, but it was worth it. A.L.T did what any good autobiography or memoir should do. It should educate you about the internal life/private life of that person. All I knew of Andre Leon Talley was his public persona and the fact that he was one of very few African-American men in the upper echelons of fashion. It was interesting learning about his early life and how he got into fashion.

I really enjoyed how much time and effort he put into
Joshunda Sanders
Andre Leon Talley is a gifted storyteller, reared in North Carolina and raised by his grandmother and Diana Vreeland, a former Vogue editor. Before I read this book, I really didn't know what to make of him, but I loved that he was so tall -- 6'8'' -- and seemed to lack any self-consciousness. His attention to detail, hustle and commitment to seeing the beauty in all things comes through in his memoir, and it's clear to see after reading the book how he came to be the uniquely stylish man he is. ...more
The storytelling got a little repetitive. I enjoyed aspects if the book, I thought it came alive the most the first time we hear about the grandmother and Mrs. Vreeland and when he discusses moving to New York. The rest is a rehashing of his life through the influences of these two women, which is integral to who he is, but I wanted more gritty detail of his work in fashion; more anecdotes.
Will reread this book shortly. I so much enjoyed it when I first read it, shortly after it was first published. I love ALT for his integrity and style. It also amazes me that we - although we have hugely different lives in opposite parts of the world - share so many values and experiences from our upbringing. Intriguing but also encourageing. Beautiful book.
Sarah Fowler
Very different from what I expected, this is Talley's masterful portrait of who he is-- largely influenced by his Southern grandmother and the incomparable Diana Vreeland. There is also a glimpse at the human beings behind the biggest fashion houses, and there's nary a hint of elitism in sight. A very enjoyable read.
Susan Sanderman
Talley is a 6-foot-6 inch black man from rural North Carolina who ended up going into fashion, befriending Diana Vreeland and working for Vogue magazine. This memoir covered his childhood in loving detail but was disappointingly short on later years and celebrities/gossip for my taste.
May 18, 2010 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary by: Andy Salzer
I learned what it means to work hard. Got to see Andre speak about this book in person and he is a man who writes as he speaks. Appreciating the finer things while remembering simple luxuries.
Did you know that Andre Leon Talley is not just a taste-maker but a deeply religious man? Did you know that he, like Proust, completely idolized his grandmother? Well now you know.
Tamara Evans
A great descriptive read chronicling Talley's life from being raised by his grandma in Durham, North Carolina to becoming one of the most respected names in the fashion industry.
Christopher Todd
AMAZING! DAZZLING! I am utterly impressed, whilst simultaneous inspired. Talley's memoir paints a vivid portrait of his lush life in the world of fashion. A must read
great read...very inspirational. loved to read Andre's tales of life in the city and country.
sucked. i didn't even finish it. he needs to stick to fashion -- he is not a writer.
Kyle Troutman
Kyle Troutman marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Kai Marcel
Kai Marcel marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Ace added it
Nov 17, 2015
James Devlin-Braswell
James Devlin-Braswell marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
A added it
Nov 08, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Kristin marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Catherine Borden
Catherine Borden marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Britta marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Sarah Colborne
Sarah Colborne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Roots of Style: Weaving Together Life, Love, and Fashion
  • D.V.
  • Diana Vreeland
  • Grace: Thirty Years Of Fashion At Vogue.
  • Maeve Brennan: Homesick at The New Yorker
  • Confessions of a Window Dresser
  • Blow by Blow: The Story of Isabella Blow
  • Kevyn Aucoin, a Beautiful Life: The Success, Struggles, and Beauty Secrets of a Legendary Makeup Artist
  • The Sartorialist: Closer
  • War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry
  • Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life
  • Alexander McQueen: The Life and the Legacy
  • The Language of Clothes
  • Paris Tales
  • Empress of Fashion: A Life of Diana Vreeland
  • Front Row: Anna Wintour: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue's Editor in Chief
  • Cleopatra's Nose: 39 Varieties of Desire