Start by marking “The Dragons of Archenfield (Domesday, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dragons of Archenfield (Domesday, #3)

The Dragons of Archenfield (Domesday #3)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Arriving in Archenfield in order to settle a land dispute, soldier Ralph Delchard and lawyer Gervase Bret are shocked when they learn that a principal witness has been murdered, and the subsequent investigation pits them against a sinister lord.
Published September 24th 2009 by Ostara Publishing (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons of Archenfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons of Archenfield

Stephen
further adventures of the duo now in deepest herefordshire in the welsh marches , when a saxon landowner is burned alive in his manor, most think its the welsh but there is more then meets the eyes as gervase is kidnapped. enjoyed the storyline in 11th century England as the story is played out on many levels.
Cat
The third book in the Domesday series. In this one, King William's auditors are at the western edge of his kingdom, just barely outside of Wales. The men they are investigating include to wealthy Norman lords and the son of a Saxon thegn who has lost much of his family's holding since the French took over England. Still, he is liked by his neighbors, and no one can understand the horror of finding him burned alive in his house.

So Gervase and Ralph, Canon Hubert and Brother Simon must find out no
LJ
First Sentence: He was coming down the hill when they struck.

Norman soldier Ralph Delchard and Breton lawyer Gervase Bret travel around Britain to resolve disputes to ensure the information in King Henry’s Domesday Book is correct. Archenfield in Herefordshire is situated in the English/Welsh border. There is a conflict as to who owns the land. When the men arrive, a wealthy landowner, and principal witness to the conflict, has just been burned alive in his home, a Welch lion filled with blood c
Spuddie
#3 Domesday medieval mystery series set across England in the 1080's. Ralph Delchard, a knight, and Gervase Bret, a lawyer, travel across England with their retinue resolving land disputes and investigating claims and set tax rates for the Conqueror. In this instance they are going to Archenfield, near the Welsh border, where resentments among the Welsh still run high against the Norman conquerors as well as the Saxons.

A disputed portion of land is sought by two sworn enemies, but the third man
Cindy
King William of England (as in the Conqueror) is ordering a comprehensive survey of his entire kingdom to be known as the Domesday Book. His agents Ralph Delchard and Gervase Bret are off to the Welsh border to investigate a claim to some hundred acres there. But one of the main witnesses is murdered and Welsh-English tensions threaten to erupt into full scale war.

I enjoyed this series, and as I read this book, I remembered reading it several years ago. But the rather nonchalant approach to som
Helen
Edward Marston is a busy author, balancing an Elizabethan theater series and his Norman conquest era Doomsday series. This series pairs a warrior with a lawyer as they follow up on the plans of William I (William the Conqueror)to tabulate all of his new holdings in England in what is known as the Doomsday book.

This book mixes superstition, politics, religion, and plain old human treachery involving murder for various kinds of gain. While the characters are interesting and clearly defined, and th
Ensiform
The Domesday crew ride again, this time to a county bordering Wales. A patch of land is once again being disputed, and once again, a claimant is killed. But are the killers Welsh raiders, as they appear to be, or part of a plot to grab land?

This entry in the series is a fun read. There’s plenty of drama, as Gervase is kidnapped and Ralph must fight a duel in order to stave off a full-scale border war during the siege of a castle. More drama means that in some ways, it’s bit less cerebral than th
Ruth
c1995: Edward Marston aka Keith Miles read modern history at Oxford and puts it to good use in this series of novels. My first impression is that I did not enjoy this one as much as The Ravens of Blackwater. I can't quite put my finger on to the reason. I did like the camaradie between the antagonists (Ralph, Gervase, Canon Hubert and Brother Simon) and the ending - which was most just! Recommended.
Philip
Edward Marston's 3rd volume of the Domesday Series, the Dragons of Archenfield is an enjoyable read. The author weaves another tale of the Royal Commisioners in the wilds of Herefordshire on the border of Wales. Ralf Delchard and Gervase Bret arrive in Hereford for what looks like another routine assignment from William I, but they find themselves caught up in murder, land disputes and Red Dragons!!
Donna
Feb 06, 2011 Donna marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
I like Marston's other series on Elizabethan theater, but I just can't get into the characters in this series. This particular book is set on the Welsh border. No offence to anyone, but I have a hard time dealing with the Welsh names. I've decided to dump this series from my reading list and that means I can pull nine books off of my TBR pile. I'm too old to read stuff I don't really like.
Aspin
Absolutely loved it. A real page turner, couldn't put it down.

Best of the series so far, though only read 3. Mystery, history, humour & suspense - all in one book - what more could you want.

The only book I've enjoyed more than this was Linwood Barclay's Bad Move.
ghostlibrarian
I found this series fascinating and I love the setting. What an imaginative way to present the writing of the Domesday Chronicles.
Gabriel Harris
Filled with intrigue and good old fashion humor that stimulates the mind while being exceptionally entertaining.
Jim
Good series of historical mysteries.
K Jackson
K Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Rich Harvey
Rich Harvey is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Barbara Senden
Barbara Senden marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Wendi B
Wendi B marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • The Faithful Dead (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #5)

A pseudonym used by Keith Miles
AKA A.E. Marston

Keith Miles (born 1940) is an English author, who writes under his own name and also historical fiction and mystery novels under the pseudonym Edward Marston. He is known for his mysteries set in the world of Elizabethan theate
More about Edward Marston...

Domesday (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Lions of the North (Domesday, #4)
  • The Serpents Of Harbledown (Domesday, #5)
  • The Stallions of Woodstock (Domesday, #6)
  • The Hawks of Delamere (Domesday, #7)
  • The Wildcats of Exeter (Domesday, #8)
  • The Foxes of Warwick (Domesday, #9)
  • The Owls of Gloucester (Domesday, #10)
  • The Elephants of Norwich
The Railway Detective The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1) The Excursion Train (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #2) The Railway Viaduct The Queen's Head