Start by marking “B Is for Beer” as Want to Read:
B Is for Beer

B Is for Beer

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,511 Ratings  ·  486 Reviews
A Children's Book About Beer? Yes, believe it or not--but B Is for Beer is also a book for adults, and bear in mind that it's the work of maverick bestselling novelist Tom Robbins, inter-nationally known for his ability to both seriously illuminate and comically entertain. nce upon a time (right about now) there was a planet (how about this one?) whose inhabitants consumed ...more
Published April 21st 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about B Is for Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B Is for Beer

Amanda
I see you. Yes, you. The Tom Robbins fan. Quit making that face. Yank out the wedgie. Relax, man! This two-star rating bears no reflection on YOU. I’m not giving YOU two stars. I’m not even giving Tom Robbins two stars. It’s just that B is for Beer is terribly disappointing. I mean, you see the cover, right? Look at it! Look how totally awesome and retro it looks, right? You see the Simpson-esque largesse of the stein, with a hoard of dance-happy (overly long-armed) adults surrounding? They’re l ...more
Sharon
Apr 22, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten how much I love Tom Robbins. His quirky sense of humor is as refreshing as a cold ...Diet Coke --sorry, I'm not a beer drinker :) But the book is funny--and insightful.

There are some great quotes here. Some of my favorites:

"You know what the game of golf is, don't you? It's basketball for people who can't jump and chess for people who can't think."

"Every time a person goes to the mall, she loses a little piece of her soul."

There's a warning from the Beer Fairy to Gracie:
"When cons
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
May 15, 2009 Jeanette "Astute Crabbist" rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Morons
Shelves: garbage-disposal
D is for Dumb, Desperate, and Disappointing Drivel!
You know a book is really bad when it's only 125 pages long and you can't even get halfway through it.
I gave this one a whirl just to see what ol' Tom Robbins had been doing this past couple of years. Now I know. D is for Drinking too much beer. And it's also for Dead brain cells, of which you will need a lot if you hope to enjoy this pile of Dung.
Elizabeth
B is for Beer is a fairy tale about beer, two things I have great fondness for. I love the idea of fairies and magic and happily ever afters. I also love beer. That said, this book was a win-win for this reader. Yes, the humor is a forced clever in a Lake Wobegon, NPR sort of way, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are choosing to read a book called B is for Beer whose main characters are a 6 year old girl, her philosopher uncle and the Beer Fairy.
Nate
Sep 28, 2015 Nate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was a lighthearted treatise on the subject of beer, somehow told through the eyes of a 6 year-old. I laughed and learned quite a bit, and would recommend as a nice palate cleanser between novels.
Damla Sahin
Jun 04, 2016 Damla Sahin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Klasik Tom Robbins yazım dili, bolca altı çizilesi cümle, okurken kahkaha atma ve keşke 7473993 sayfa daha olsa diyerek hayıflanma, hepsi bu kitapta mevcut!
Bir sonraki Robbins kitabına dek tadı yine damağımda kalacak...
Cindy
May 08, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Tom Robbins is still a genius!!! The only problem with this book is in keeping with the statement on the cover (A children's book for grown-ups, a grown up book for children) it is far too short. On the satisfaction meter though, it is right up there with a cold brew on a hot afternoon, after all the chores are done. Just sit back and say "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

If you haven't already bought it, and even if you have, Powells is offering signed editions, and since it is unlikely Tom is going to tour f
Olga Zbranek Biernátová
Pivní víla byla dost epic. Kaiser ji dal na jedničku :-D
Snotchocheez
What is up with my favorite humorist authors trying their hand at "SOMETHING NEW" ??? I attribute my love of reading today to Tom Robbins' ascerbic wit in the 80s and 90s, evidenced with terrific novels like "Still Life With Woodpecker", "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues", "Jitterbug Perfume", "Skinny Legs and All", et.al. All of his novels have been irreverent, off-kilter, thought-provoking laugh-fests (for me, anyway). Mr. Robbins has never been a prolific writer, but about every four or five ye ...more
Mike Clinton
From Amazon.com
"Yes, believe it or not--but B Is for Beer is also a book for adults, and bear in mind that it's the work of maverick bestselling novelist Tom Robbins, internationally known for his ability to both seriously illuminate and comically entertain.

Once upon a time (right about now) there was a planet (how about this one?) whose inhabitants consumed thirty-six billion gallons of beer each year (it's a fact, you can Google it). Among those affected, each in his or her own way, by all th
Ann
Nov 07, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly Ann
D Is For DUMB:

Prior to reading this book I had never read anything written by him. After reading this book, I doubt I will read anything more written by him.

Funny? No. Amusing? Slightly.

A little girl who is intrigued by beer, accidentally gets drunk on the 6th birthday & pukes on her Hello Kitty rug.... In a drunker stupor she is visited by the Beer fairy who takes her on a tour of how beer is made, from the Barley fields to the brewery, to a Beer Festival.

Meh!
Jen
May 01, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went to see Tom Robbins read from his new children's book B Is for Beer last night and it was pretty hilarious. He saw a cartoon with a publisher and writer in a bar, and the publisher says something to the writer along the lines of, "No, I don't think a children's book about beer would sell." Robbins saw it as a brilliant challenge, and the resulting book is in children's book form but is definitely for adults - aside from all of the rhapsodizing about beer, a 5-year-old gets drunk and later ...more
Melody
May 19, 2009 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robbins uses some of the most muscular and flexible language I've ever read. His sentences are so finely crafted that each gleams. His skewed vision combined with his rarefied prose can make it difficult to notice when there's something missing. It's my opinion that as beautiful as this book is, it's also pedantic at its core. In a boring way.

Also, the spacing

of the prose

reminds me of term papers

which needed to be exactly 40 pages long.

It is worth reading for the joyful, playful, ebullient goofi
Sue
Feb 06, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had difficulty rereading his earlier books, but enjoyed this one. Bob, this one's for you! :)
Jade
Oct 08, 2010 Jade rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A very weird tale between a young child's intrigue at beer and the impact of this substance in her life. There is also a very weird middle bit with the beer fairy (yes the beer fairy!) explaining how beer is made.

A sweet quick read, but a book with no depth, no real storyline and given it's randomness, just a bit weird. The supposed humour of the book doesn't even exist and Gracie is strangely the most advanced 6 year old I've ever heard of in my life.

If you're stuck in a waiting room with 30 mi
Aslı Dağlı
Apr 01, 2016 Aslı Dağlı rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yorumum icin -> instagram: dagli_asli
Benny
Tom Robbins was never really meant to write a children's book, but I can see what he was trying to accomplish here. In the days where everyone considers themselves connoisseurs of good beer, it's not a bad idea to write a book in simple terms explaining how it's made and to highlight what is actually beautiful about beer in the first place.

Robbins, naturally, includes all manner of supernatural flourishes—such as mentioning that beer uses all of the elements: earth, from where barley and hops a
Paul Lyons
Brian
May 29, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It would have been hard for me to not love this book. Tom Robbins? Check. Beer? Check. A protagonist just like my daughter? Check. So there you have it, I loved it. Robbins' ode to the wonder of beer through the eyes of a five/six-year-old girl won me over from page one. Throw in hilarious characters like the Beer Fairy and Uncle Moe, and I think you just might like it too. And even if you don't, it'll only eat up at most a couple of hours of your time.
Stephen
Aug 17, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud when I read "Another Roadside Attraction" in 1975 (and didn't want it to end). I'd forgotten how funny Tom Robbins can be when I read "B is for Beer" in 2015 (and wanted another 125 pages). Would it have been so hard to reveal a bit more about the Sugar Fairy? Too much of a strain to investigate "the world next door to this one"? An unmerited exertion to tell us what happened to Charlie Perkel and his secretary? There are culinary murder mysteries which include recipes for the ...more
Clare
Nov 30, 2010 Clare rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure quasi-children's books are the best outlet for Tom Robbins' writing style. More often than not, his linguistic acrobatics and wink-wink-nudge-nudge jokes were distracting and annoying rather than humorous. Not to mention they didn't really do much to jazz up the frankly quite boring process of making beer. I'd rather learn the facts on a standard-issue brewery tour—at least they give you free beer at the end.
Adam
Apr 16, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When little 5 year old Gracie drinks a bit too much beer, she meets the beer fairy, and a whole new world and view of life open up to her.

This brief ode to altered consciousness is a delight to read.

Described on its cover as both "A grown-up book for children" and "A children's book for adults", I feel that this brief novel is more of the latter than the former.
J.T. Wilson
Tom Robbins is a sort-of magic realism Mariah Carey: he's never met a sentence he can't subject to a series of grandiloquent trills. In the two books of his I've read before, he couples these verbal gymnastics with cod-philosophy and glimpse-of-the-bleeding-obvious aphorisms (in fact the existential conclusion of both books was literally identical), but he reigns in the latter tendencies in 'B is for Beer', a brewery textbook masquerading as a children's novel.

At 132 pages and with much of the
Христо Блажев
Той ще ме цака с детска бира?!: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/b...

Напълно разбирам, че от време на време някой писател иска да си начеше крастата и агентът и световните му издатели, хъката-мъката, трябва да се примирят с това. “Б като бира” е нещо от тоя тип, макар и да има известно очарование в идеята и написването на забавна книга за бирата, насочена към детската аудитория, но просто от автор като Том Робинс очаквам малко повече от няколко добри каламбура. Последното прозвуча като да съм
Craig Masten
Feb 16, 2015 Craig Masten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I've just finished "B is for Beer," another typical Tom Robbins book, but of course there is nothing typical and lots that is extraordinary about everything tom robins writes. Subtitled "a children's book for grown-ups" and also "A grown-up book for children." it's a primer of everything you ever want to know about beer with a heady helping of the meaning of life. I couldn't put the book down, and finished it with the combination of laughter, amazement and courage to face the slings and ar ...more
Eric Dirker
Oct 29, 2014 Eric Dirker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is pretty much exactly what I expected. There are a lot of people who are whining that it is not up to Mr. Robbins's usual standard. The cover does not say " a novel by Tom Robbins." It says a children's book. There was that same sly humor and dazzling display of wordsmanship that we all hope Mr. Robbins will sprinkle in his writing like magic fairy dust. It was a rapturous ode to the beauty and mystery of beer. I especially like the nod he gives to Jack Kerouac at the end.

Instead of compl
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2011 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Ughgh, I thought this book was very lame. Maybe I would have liked it a tiny bit more if I had read it rather than listened to the audiobook, but I doubt it. S is for Stupid.
Jessica
Dec 02, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
B is for Beer is about 6 year old Gracie learning about beer. She tries some and hates it. Later, she gets upset and chugs a couple cans. This causes her to be drunk, then ill, then to meet the Beer Fairy and go on an adventure with her learning about where beer comes from. They visit a field, a brewery, and a beer festival. I really liked that it was educational and funny. It had some very real parts about the good and bad potential of alcohol, and it was written to be read by an adult with a c ...more
Conina
Apr 12, 2015 Conina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Tom Robbins's book, and I had somewhat high expectations. But in the end, I couldn't find anything interesting, I wouldn't consider it a child book (as stated on the back), nor a book for grown-ups (as, too, stated on the back). At first, I thought that this was good, but reading it I found nothing to amuse me, make me laugh or sad... In fact the beer facts would be useful to someone who loves beer and has never had interest in its making (if such people even exist). I may give ...more
  • Conversations with Tom Robbins
  • Nine Kinds of Naked
  • Μαραμπού
  • Tales for Little Rebels: A Collection of Radical Children's Literature
  • Ψυχ
  • Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer and Save the World
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • A Box of Rain: Lyrics, 1965-1993
  • The Politics of Ecstasy
  • All in a Day
  • Looking and Seeing: Learning to Observe
  • Images of the Beatles
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • The Autobiography of God
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

More about Tom Robbins...

“Never be afraid to love, not even when there's a chance you're not being loved in return.” 28 likes
“We are seldom as limited as we think we are.” 14 likes