B Is for Beer

B Is for Beer

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  3,362 ratings  ·  392 reviews
A Children's Book About Beer?

Yes, believe it or not--but "B Is for Beer" is also a book for adults, and bear in mind that it's the work of maverick bestselling novelist Tom Robbins, inter-nationally known for his ability to both seriously illuminate and comically entertain.

nce upon a time (right about now) there was a planet (how about this one?) whose inhabitants consumed...more
Published April 21st 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2009)

Amanda
I see you. Yes, you. The Tom Robbins fan. Quit making that face. Yank out the wedgie. Relax, man! This two-star rating bears no reflection on YOU. I’m not giving YOU two stars. I’m not even giving Tom Robbins two stars. It’s just that B is for Beer is terribly disappointing. I mean, you see the cover, right? Look at it! Look how totally awesome and retro it looks, right? You see the Simpson-esque largesse of the stein, with a hoard of dance-happy (overly long-armed) adults surrounding? They’re l...more
Sharon
I'd forgotten how much I love Tom Robbins. His quirky sense of humor is as refreshing as a cold ...Diet Coke --sorry, I'm not a beer drinker :) But the book is funny--and insightful.

There are some great quotes here. Some of my favorites:

"You know what the game of golf is, don't you? It's basketball for people who can't jump and chess for people who can't think."

"Every time a person goes to the mall, she loses a little piece of her soul."

There's a warning from the Beer Fairy to Gracie:
"When cons...more
Jeanette
May 15, 2009 Jeanette rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Morons
Shelves: garbage-disposal
D is for Dumb, Desperate, and Disappointing Drivel!
You know a book is really bad when it's only 125 pages long and you can't even get halfway through it.
I gave this one a whirl just to see what ol' Tom Robbins had been doing this past couple of years. Now I know. D is for Drinking too much beer. And it's also for Dead brain cells, of which you will need a lot if you hope to enjoy this pile of Dung.
Elizabeth
B is for Beer is a fairy tale about beer, two things I have great fondness for. I love the idea of fairies and magic and happily ever afters. I also love beer. That said, this book was a win-win for this reader. Yes, the humor is a forced clever in a Lake Wobegon, NPR sort of way, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are choosing to read a book called B is for Beer whose main characters are a 6 year old girl, her philosopher uncle and the Beer Fairy.
Snotchocheez
What is up with my favorite humorist authors trying their hand at "SOMETHING NEW" ??? I attribute my love of reading today to Tom Robbins' ascerbic wit in the 80s and 90s, evidenced with terrific novels like "Still Life With Woodpecker", "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues", "Jitterbug Perfume", "Skinny Legs and All", et.al. All of his novels have been irreverent, off-kilter, thought-provoking laugh-fests (for me, anyway). Mr. Robbins has never been a prolific writer, but about every four or five yea...more
Mike Clinton
From Amazon.com
"Yes, believe it or not--but B Is for Beer is also a book for adults, and bear in mind that it's the work of maverick bestselling novelist Tom Robbins, internationally known for his ability to both seriously illuminate and comically entertain.

Once upon a time (right about now) there was a planet (how about this one?) whose inhabitants consumed thirty-six billion gallons of beer each year (it's a fact, you can Google it). Among those affected, each in his or her own way, by all th...more
Ann
Jen
I went to see Tom Robbins read from his new children's book B Is for Beer last night and it was pretty hilarious. He saw a cartoon with a publisher and writer in a bar, and the publisher says something to the writer along the lines of, "No, I don't think a children's book about beer would sell." Robbins saw it as a brilliant challenge, and the resulting book is in children's book form but is definitely for adults - aside from all of the rhapsodizing about beer, a 5-year-old gets drunk and later...more
Melody
Robbins uses some of the most muscular and flexible language I've ever read. His sentences are so finely crafted that each gleams. His skewed vision combined with his rarefied prose can make it difficult to notice when there's something missing. It's my opinion that as beautiful as this book is, it's also pedantic at its core. In a boring way.

Also, the spacing

of the prose

reminds me of term papers

which needed to be exactly 40 pages long.

It is worth reading for the joyful, playful, ebullient goofi...more
Jade
A very weird tale between a young child's intrigue at beer and the impact of this substance in her life. There is also a very weird middle bit with the beer fairy (yes the beer fairy!) explaining how beer is made.

A sweet quick read, but a book with no depth, no real storyline and given it's randomness, just a bit weird. The supposed humour of the book doesn't even exist and Gracie is strangely the most advanced 6 year old I've ever heard of in my life.

If you're stuck in a waiting room with 30 mi...more
Cindy
May 08, 2009 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Tom Robbins is still a genius!!! The only problem with this book is in keeping with the statement on the cover (A children's book for grown-ups, a grown up book for children) it is far too short. On the satisfaction meter though, it is right up there with a cold brew on a hot afternoon, after all the chores are done. Just sit back and say "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

If you haven't already bought it, and even if you have, Powells is offering signed editions, and since it is unlikely Tom is going to tour f...more
Brian
It would have been hard for me to not love this book. Tom Robbins? Check. Beer? Check. A protagonist just like my daughter? Check. So there you have it, I loved it. Robbins' ode to the wonder of beer through the eyes of a five/six-year-old girl won me over from page one. Throw in hilarious characters like the Beer Fairy and Uncle Moe, and I think you just might like it too. And even if you don't, it'll only eat up at most a couple of hours of your time.
Clare
I'm not sure quasi-children's books are the best outlet for Tom Robbins' writing style. More often than not, his linguistic acrobatics and wink-wink-nudge-nudge jokes were distracting and annoying rather than humorous. Not to mention they didn't really do much to jazz up the frankly quite boring process of making beer. I'd rather learn the facts on a standard-issue brewery tour—at least they give you free beer at the end.
Adam
When little 5 year old Gracie drinks a bit too much beer, she meets the beer fairy, and a whole new world and view of life open up to her.

This brief ode to altered consciousness is a delight to read.

Described on its cover as both "A grown-up book for children" and "A children's book for adults", I feel that this brief novel is more of the latter than the former.
Rebecca
Ughgh, I thought this book was very lame. Maybe I would have liked it a tiny bit more if I had read it rather than listened to the audiobook, but I doubt it. S is for Stupid.
Мила
Като "Чарли и шоколадовата фабрика", но с бира. И без Уили Уонка.
Michael Seidlinger
I like beer.

Can't say the same about this book.
Tim
This is HILARIOUS! Review in a couple days.

(several days later; actually finished it the next day, but I get a bit distracted) Quick, funny but deep read, all about, yup, BEER! All told through the eyes of a 5 - then - six-year-old girl Gracie Perkel. Her introduction to this quaff amidst the rather dysfunctional family (of which her Uncle Moe becomes the hero of the piece, although I shan't give away just how; too much fun to discover it for yourself). Well, a fairy from "the other side of the...more
Dan
Tom Robbins is always worth reading.

His story's tagline accurately describes it: "A Children's Book for Grown-ups" or "A Grown-up Book for Children".

Gracie Perkel is 5 going on 6. She wonders about the beer her father seems to consume incessantly. Like most children, she is perceptive enough and smart enough to realize things are tense in her home. Her parents don't really get along and her father makes many unkept promises. Unfortunately, no one acknowledges her concerns in an intelligent mann...more
Patriciahoperose
"I'm only labeling it an 'element,' understand, because it doesn't fall into the category of animal or vegetable or mineral. It disobeys the laws of physics and it moons the rules of logic, just as the two of us have been doing today, actually, although you seem to have taken it completely in stride. What is it? Some people call it transcendence, some used to call it magic...before that word got used up."

"He's wrong, isn't he? Because almost every child between the ages of, say, three and twelve...more
Ken
Liz
"B is for Beer" is a highly entertaining and educational book. I was in the booksore of my mall and I saw the cover og this book. Now what drew me in was of course the title and the whole "a childrens book for grownups" and a "grownups book for children" line. I came back two days later and I bought the book. First off I have to say that i love the main character Gracie. She is funny and I love how she takes whatever her uncle Mo says and applies it to her life. The Beer Fairy is also a favorite...more
Bill
Is it a children's book? Or an adult book just written in the style of a children's book? Who cares, it's the first thing I've seen from Tom Robbins in a couple years, so it was required. And it didn't disappoint. It's like a mini-TR novel with all the same humor, bad puns, general goofiness, social and political satire, and gigantic heart and soul that any Tom Robbins book contains. Five-year-old (almost six! Gracie Perkel suddenly develops a strange curiosity about the beverage of choice of he...more
Mike
Update: Reread this book over the weekend, and I think I was too harsh in my original review (below). I think this book succeeds quite well for what it was suppose to be. I think I simply expected too much from it the first time around. Being a Children's book, you cannot hold it to the same standard that you would one of his other novels.

As a dedicated Tom Robbins fan and avid reader of his works, I feel blasphemous giving one of his novels anything less than 4 stars, but I am afraid that is t...more
Col
Synopsis/blurb.......

Have you ever wondered why your daddy likes beer so much? Have you wondered, before you fall asleep at night, why he sometimes acts kind of "funny" after he's been drinking beer? Maybe you've even wondered where beer comes from, because you're pretty sure it isn't from a cow. Well, Gracie Perkel wondered those same things.
So begins bestselling author Tom Robbins' first fiction in five years (and perhaps his most audacious ever), B Is for Beer explores various aspects of beer...more
Liz
I have to admit it took me a while to get used to the fact that this is a children's book, about beer. As a pre-service elementary reading/writing teacher, I had trouble wrapping my mind around it as I started to read. Would I approve this book for 5th graders? What reading level could I categorize this?

When I stopped worrying about those things and just read it, I started to enjoy it a bit more for what it is. But what is it? Well, he definitely used elements from children's lit. It had the na...more
Christina (Reading Thru The Night)
Don't you just love the title of the book? Especially the "A Children's Book for Grown-ups and "A Grown-up Book for Children". *sigh* Tom Robbins, you just make me weak in the knees.

B is for Beer will not disappoint if you are a Tom Robbins lover like myself. It's fanciful and still tongue-in-cheek. It's straight forward and yet hidden. Oh, and it's absolutely almost as contradictory as those two descriptors were.

The book opens with: Have you ever wondered why your daddy likes beer so much?

Thus...more
Christopher
First book I think I've ever read about a 5 year old girl. She has an eccentric Uncle who explains things to her as if she were an adult. She asks him why grown ups drink beer. He explains some stuff about beer, promising to take her on a trip to a brewery. Her family doesn't seem to like her learning about beer, as she is only 5 years old.

Her uncle Moe ends up leaving for a lady he fell in love with for Costa Rica, and Gracie goes to the fridge and chugs a beer since she is so sad. She ends up...more
John Bladek
If you're interested in how beer is made, you might want to take the brewery tour with drunken 6-year old Gracie Perkel and a beer fairy. There's a lot of information in here about brewing. But Robbins also tends to get a bit mystical about beer, kind of the way Bob Costas and George Will talked about baseball in the 1980s and 90s. Now I like both baseball and beer, and I can get mystical about both, but just not out loud. And listening to someone else do it can be embarassing. Maybe it's part o...more
  • Nine Kinds of Naked
  • The Saviors of God
  • The Politics of Ecstasy
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • The Widow's Son (Historical Illuminatus Chronicles 2)
  • Tales for Little Rebels: A Collection of Radical Children's Literature
  • The Riptide Ultra-Glide (Serge Storms #16)
  • O-Zone
  • McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • Salvage and Demolition
  • Snow White and the Seven Samurai
  • Compass Rose
  • The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)
  • The Unteleported Man
  • The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen
  • The Pricker Boy
  • Cures for Love
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

More about Tom Robbins...
Still Life with Woodpecker Jitterbug Perfume Even Cowgirls Get the Blues Skinny Legs and All Another Roadside Attraction

“Never be afraid to love, not even when there's a chance you're not being loved in return.” 20 likes
“We are seldom as limited as we think we are.” 11 likes