Start by marking “Mean Streets (Includes: The Dresden Files, #10.3)” as Want to Read:
Mean Streets (Includes: The Dresden Files, #10.3)

Mean Streets (Remy Chandler #1.5)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  7,166 ratings  ·  330 reviews
From four of today's hottest fantasy authors?all-new novellas of dark nights, cruel cities, and paranormal P.I.s. The best paranormal private investigators have been brought together in a single volume?and cases don?t come any harder than this. New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher delivers a hard-boiled tale in which Harry Dresden's latest case may be his last. Ni ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Roc (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mean Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean Streets

Rebecca
Mean Streets is an anthology of four stories by four authors, all featuring urban fantasy and private eyes. For the record, I was familiar with two of the authors Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green, but not familiar with Kat Richardson or Thomas E. Sniegoski. I'm going to review each of the stories separately.

The Warrior (Jim Butcher)
I enjoyed this story. It involved the Carpenter family, some of my favorite side characters of The Dresden Files. Plus, we got some good world-building surrounding Mic
Kathy Davie
An anthology of four short stories.

Series:
"The Warrior" (Dresden Files, 10.5)
"Difference a Day Makes" (Nightside, 9.5)
"Third Death of the Little Clay Dog" (Greywalker, 5.5)
"Noah's Orphans" (Remy Chandler, 1.5)

The Stories
Jim Butcher's "The Warrior" is a part of the Dresden Files paranormal series and occurs after Michael has retired leaving custody of two swords with Harry. A situation profoundly despised by someone who must be a part of the Catholic Church as whom else could possibly know of his
Cathy
In general, I really like the longer stories/novellas in this trade size paperback much more than the way too brief stories in mass market paperbacks. These were enough to sink my teeth into and intrigue me about the authors' other books much more than other anthologies I've read.

Green's Nightside story:
So VERY Nightside. He has a tendency to pack every paragraph with his crazy creations, to the point where it just feels like pointless showing off. It's really too much. On the other hand, I like
Michael
No offense to the other fine authors in this collection, but I picked "Mean Streets" up for only one reason--the new Harry Dresden story.

"The Warrior" picks up after the events of "Small Favor." If you've not read the entire Dresden Files series leading up to this one, I imagine you might be a little confused. Yes, the story is standalone, but it's still one that requires a lot of prior knowledge to fully appreciate it.

Something is targeting Michael's family. Harry steps in and the story explore
Julie (jjmachshev)
Urban fantasy fans, pay heed! "Mean Streets" is an awesome anthology with stories by four big-hitters of the genre. In one book, you can visit with Chicago wizard Harry Dresden, Nightside PI John Taylor, Greywalker Harper Blaine, and fallen angel Remy Chandler in their own worlds. Stories of murder and attempted murder most foul, but with magic added to the mayhem.

For those who are unfamiliar with the above names, they are the creations of Jim Butcher, Simon R. Green, Kat Richardson, and Thomas
Colleen
1) The warrior by Butcher - 4 Stars, great story! It still continues to elude my why I don't read the dresden series. This was a good story and all the characters are likable.

2)The difference a day makes by Green - 3 stars - I've tried the nightside series before and it didn't stick. I'm still working on this story but I have some reservations. I don't mind works of fantasy but when they too silly, it starts to bother me. For example: The dancing bear at the bar, in a white jacket dancing using
Kat
At first, I only read the Jim Butcher story in this. I only picked it up for a quick Dresden fix, then decided I couldn't own a book I haven't read in its entirety.

Dresden Story- My biggest complaint about this story was that it was, in fact a VERY quick Dresden fix- a very short story. The story focused around Michael, former Knight of the Cross, and the whole issue of the swords that Harry is current custodian of. Harry got in some snarky comments, did shockingly little magic, got his butt kic
John
If I had to describe “Mean Streets” as a sandwich, it would be one piece of baloney, with some decent pepperjack cheese accented with some avocado and mayo surrounded by two fresh, crispy pieces of Italian bread. Doesn’t sound like a half bad sandwich, except for the baloney, right? Actually, I like baloney, but in this case, it supposed to represent a poor quality cold cut.

Well, that’s how I felt about it as a whole. “Mean Streets” is a collection of four novellas by four notable urban fantasy
Leon
This was a very good book. I usually don't like books of short stories but the four books in this set were all novella's that had to deal with separate series. I have read three of the four series so I was able to really get into the stories.

The Dresden Files story was great! But I'm biased since the Dresden books are on my "favorites" list. It dragged a few of the characters into the book, but by no means all of them. It was a nice little jaunt into the Dresden world.

The next was a Nightside no
***Dave Hill
(Original review: http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2009/04/...)

I hate it when I’m successfully manipulated by Big Business. Or Big Publishing.

And, of course, that’s what’s happened with Mean Streets, a collection of four novellas by different fantasy writers about their urban fantasy noir detectives. All of whom, coincidentally, happen to have book series that Roc (Penguin) would just love me to buy.

Which, of course, I now need to.

*sigh*

“The Warrior” by Jim Butcher ****

Butcher’s highly successful Ha
Angela
If you're an urban fantasy fan, you'll want to put serious consideration into checking out the anthology Mean Streets, which brings four stories to the table, two of which are heavy hitters long familiar to my recent book buying habits.

Harry Dresden fans will first and foremost want to check out Jim Butcher's contribution, "Warrior"--as long as you're up to date on the series. This story is set between the novels Small Favor and Turn Coat, and there are definite spoilers for the former. Still, i
Melanti
4 novellas, 4 very different opinions.

I liked "The Warrior" because I've read so much of the Dresden Files. I don't think this is a story that you can fully appreciate without the context that comes with the previous 10 novels. The Carpenters are my next to favorite side characters.

"The Difference a Day Makes" just confirms to me that I shouldn't bother even thinking of reading any more of the Nightside books. I've read the first two, and now this story just confirms my displeasure. I don't like
Callista
5 stars for Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden story, "The Warrior." It has some good action and standard Harry smart-alecness, but--even better--a lovely, sweet, touching twist that helps put some more light back in Harry's world.

3 stars for "The Difference a Day Makes" by Simon R. Green. I'd never read anything by Green before, but I expected his work to be similar in tone to Butcher's or Sniegoski's. The first few pages of the story reminded me of really good Neil Gaiman--especially Neverwhere--with
Shannon Terry
(Since I'm not supposed to be buying books right now, my excuse is that I picked this up used from Powell's last week after selling some others that I was never going to read again.) I of course got it because of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files story- which was enjoyable and nicely cheesy in the way that only stories involving Michael can be. Don't read this one until after "Small Favor," it has lots of spoilers since it is set immediately after.

All I'll say about the second story, by Simon Green,
Julia
Just out in mass media paperback, I’ve waited for Mean Streets for a long time, but it is, mostly, very worth the wait. I started, but quickly stopped Simon R. Green’s “The Difference a Day Makes.” The Harry Dresden novella by Jim Butcher, sort of isn’t, it’s really about Michael Carpenter, his family and his faith in “The Warrior.” Giving Michael a happy, contented second act is very sweet. Kat Richardson’s novella has the great title, “The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog.” Harper Blaine is ...more
Michael
These are four short stories from four private investigator/paranormal detective series. Each of the four has a very different flavor.
Jim Butcher's story is an action packed story from his regular character Harry Dresden. This is by far the best short story of the four. Alone I would give it 5 stars. Unfortunately the other three stories are not quite as good. They are worth the read but they are not in the same class as Butcher's story. Use your own judgement about reading this book. If you are
julia
Finished the first short story, a Harry Dresden story. enjoyed it quite a bit, though we didn't see much of Molly, and I love to see the Master interact with his Padawan :)

Finished the second short story. Wasn't familiar with the author or his characters, and it started out like a rather freaky mystery, but I didn't like where they went. Far to much weird at the end. Now I know not to pick up any of his other stories on this topic.

Third short story was good--again a new author for me, but in thi
J. Best
Really wanted to like this book, but by the end, I felt I was forcing myself just to finish it. I had not read any works by any of these authors previously, though I was familiar with Jim Butcher and The Dresden Files.

The Warrior moved quickly and was a decent enough stand alone story, though I felt like I was missing out on a lot by not knowing any of his other work. It also didn't propel me to want and go pick up any of The Dresden Files. It seemed more like an interlude between two stories t
Riju Ganguly
Unlike some of my recent reads, this collection was neither a single-author one, nor an anthology of short stories. This book contained four novellas, each one having its own flavour and taste. These novellas are:

1. 'The Warrior' from Jim Butcher: One of the finest stories from the Dresden Files, this one is enough to make you pick up this book. Awesome.

2. 'The Difference a Day Makes' by Simon R. Green: An excellent story about one night in the Nightside, with not only our very special PI John T
Jo Dunn
I'd just finished Book #10 (of 15) in Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files series. It always seems to take forever for the next in the series to arrive at my beloved library - audiobooks are less traumatic for my aging neck and my library doesn't carry all fifteen of the series in audiobook format. Bottom line, I often wait a week (sometimes two) between books. Well, this week, I hit the motherlode and it was totally unplanned.

I was perusing the North Olympic Library System's OneClickDigital (audiob
Michelle
I think angel stories are starting to give zombies/vampires a run for their genre. Butcher and Sinegoski's stories feature heavily in the angel realm, and do it well. Richardson's story is a bit rambling but original. Simon R. Green, I'm sad to say, seems to have lost his umph. I loved the first 3-4 Nightside novels, but they've grown predictable in their reliance on shock value to keep you interested in flat characters with no momentum.
pianogal
I came for the Jim Butcher story, but I stayed for the Sniegoski. I'm an totally going to have to get into the Remi Chandler series. I really enjoyed this story. Butcher was good, but it makes me want to read Turn Coat and I don't have time. Ergh. Thought the other two stories were ok, but I haven't read those authors before, so it took a little time to get into their worlds.
Annmarie
Read the first story (the Dresden Files one) but not the rest. I might come back to them at some point if I end up getting into those other series (Nightside, Greywalker) but I really hate reading books out of order so I can't bring myself to jump into them yet.
Nickie
When it comes to anthologies, I usually hone in on the author/story I am following and abandon the rest of the book. This collection was an exception! Since it only included 3 other stories besides the one I came searching for, I read the whole thing. And I really enjoyed it! I think the difference was that since only 4 authors had to come together, the stories had more in common and were similar to the story line that had brought me here in the first place.

Jim Butcher's Warrior included an inc
Morris Nelms
The Butcher story is much better than 2 stars. I wasn't as intrigued by the other stories and didn't finish them. Hence the lower review. Butcher is great fun, so...
Rob Trans
Mediocre. Novellas that could have been shortene4d to short stories. In each novella, the characters and writing, etc. were ok.

I'd read the Dresden story before and it was the best of the 4 in this book.

The setting for the Difference a Day Makes was a little too weird for me.

The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog was not bad.

Noah's Orphans was a bit tedious.

I won't go out of my way to read any of these authors again except Jim Butcher and maybe Richardson. I like the Dresden files universe a
Vorbis
So, turns out I'd already read the Dresden story (again, I'm having shit luck this week). Second story was crap, the style annoyed the hell out of me with its references to pop culture that were trying too hard to be hilarious, by this point I just wanted to read the book as fast as possible so I could take it back when I had to do a library run that afternoon.

I didn't get it finished, because I got caught up in the Greywalker book which was actually good. I'll be checking out the rest of the se
Kati
Finally an anthology where I knew ALL the series!

"The Warrior" by Jim Butcher - 4 stars: I have never liked Charity or Michael, Bible Thumpers are really not my thing, and Charity's constant, unreasonable anger at Harry pisses me off like nobody's business, I can't help but see her as a bitter, unlikable hag, but this was still the best story in the book. Mostly because Harry rocked!

"The Difference a Day Makes" by Simon R. Green - 2 stars: Very little happened, it was all mostly description of t
Jason Stenger
I just finished the audiobook version of Mean Streets and I enjoyed all four stories in this collection. While I am not a detective story fan per se, I do have a soft spot for a little gritty noir.

I really do love Butcher's Dresden stories and this was a great short story. My one complaint was having listened to a couple other Dresden Files audiobooks, I wasn't as impressed by the delivery on this one. Nothing against Dion Graham, he gave a fine reading, but I just feel James Marstens as Harry.
The Warrior by Jim Butcher: 2 stars. I've read some of Butcher's "Dresden Files" series and found them enjoyable, but this story just didn't catch my interest at all. The plot was an (overly) familiar one: a "Bad" Guy tries to blackmail the Good Guy by threatening a friend and the friend's family, with a predictable showdown between the two. There was nothing to distinguish this story from all the other stories using the same plot line, and nothing to distinguish Harry from all the other Good Gu ...more
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, # 9)
  • The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Remy Chandler (7 books)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Walking In the Midst of Fire (Remy Chandler, #6)
  • A Deafening Silence In Heaven (Remy Chandler, #7)
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)

“Nobody can be bad at everything. There’s no such thing as a perfect screwup.” 135 likes
“Harry Dresden. Saving the world, one act of random destruction at a time.” 117 likes